• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lista Correos from St Jean Pied de Port

Jub

I have been searching on these forums for a definitive answer but have not found one so far!

I would like to send two large bags (suitcase size) ahead to Logrono from my starting point in SJPP. There is really good information about how to do this on this forum, although it is unclear (to me) whether it applies to Spanish mail only. It has been pointed out that sending a package post restante from the post office in SJPdP to Spain is international mail so lista correos may not be available or may be costly. Does anyone know for sure?

I've also read that one can use DHL quite cheaply - is this available from SJPP and will they deliver to post offices for lista correos service?

Thanks for any guidance, folks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please excuse me bumping my own thread... I still don't have any idea if this is possible. I'll guess find out in about 2 weeks - and will post here with the facts! :)

Mail addressed to you will be delivered directly to your house or apartment. The Spanish postal service (Correos) will attempt to deliver packages and parcels to your address; if you are not there, a notification will be left, "aviso de llegada", so that you can claim your package at the post office. Be sure to bring your passport when you go to make the pick-up. There is normally no charge for the service. Most post offices will keep mail for up to 15 days.

Mail can also be received at Spanish Post Offices. There is normally no charge for the service. Poste Restante letters should be addressed Lista de Correos, followed by the address of the post office (including the post code, town and province). Put your surname in capitals. An example Lista de Correos address is:

John SMITH
Lista de Correos
Pl. Rosa dels Vents 9
46730 Gandia
Valencia
Spain

To find the address of the Correos nearest to you check at www.correos.es. Click on the Oficinas link for the Localizador de Oficinas.

When collecting mail from the post office you will need to show some form of identification such as a passport or photo driving licence. Specify that you are collecting a Lista de Correos item as these are stored separately from the other stored mail. The Lista de Correos mail is filed alphabetically and it may be worth asking them to check if an expected package was filed under your first name if they cannot find it under your surname. Post offices vary in how long they will hold your mail. It is advisable to collect mail as soon as possible and preferably within 3 days of it arriving. However most post offices will keep mail for up to 15 days.

When addressing mail for Spain, always ensure there is a return address on the parcel or packet.

When you walk into any post office, you have to press a button to get a ticket. The number on the ticket is your place in the queue. Smaller post offices have one queueing system but larger offices have two: one for "Envíos" and one for "Recogidas". If you are sending something, press "Envíos". If you are collecting a package, press the "Recogidas" button. You will get a ticket with your turn number on it.

http://www.xol.co.uk/spain/receiving-letters-parcels-in-spain.html

Correos Espana
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-inicio/info

La Poste France
http://www.laposte.fr/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been searching on these forums for a definitive answer but have not found one so far!

I would like to send two large bags (suitcase size) ahead to Logrono from my starting point in SJPP. There is really good information about how to do this on this forum, although it is unclear (to me) whether it applies to Spanish mail only. It has been pointed out that sending a package post restante from the post office in SJPdP to Spain is international mail so lista correos may not be available or may be costly. Does anyone know for sure?
I've also read that one can use DHL quite cheaply - is this available from SJPP and will they deliver to post offices for lista correos service?
Thanks for any guidance, folks!
Hello Jub.
Look here:
Pilgrims and backpack Transport on the Camino
Buen Camino
Jochen

You may need to contact DHL directly to find out if they will deliver to Lista de Correos in Spain. It seems to me that they would, but best to confirm.

You may want to consider transporting your bags in stages. Stage one would be to use Express Burricot to get your bags into Spain. Then stage two is from Roncesvalles to Logrono, using Jacotrans, as Jochen suggested. You will need a destination such as a hotel if you want to use Jacotrans. And expect to pay 7 euros for every 20-30 kms from Roncesvalles to Logrono, as you have to pay for each stage a walker would cover in a day.

If you want to send your bags via the Spanish post office, the first chance to do that will be in Pamplona. But since they are large suitcases, Jacotrans may be your best bet.

I hope that helps...it's a bit of a tricky scenario!

Oh that's too bad. Do you mean that the post office in St Jean won't accept a Poste Restante / Lista de Correos package at all?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The French post office should accept a package addressed to Poste Restante / Lista de Correos, no problem, but they may not accept suitcases. And I'm not sure if they sell large enough boxes to accommodate your needs.

The postal service is for parcels - nothing more than a few kilos. For large suitcases you would need the baggage carrying services of Express Burricot and Jacotrans.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The postal service is for parcels - nothing more than a few kilos. For large suitcases you would need the baggage carrying services of Express Burricot and Jacotrans.

The current Express Bourricot web states
"Send luggage directly from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostella. Price: 70€ per luggage and 20kg max."

Use their booking page for more info.

MM

Thanks for the replies - although I can't help but feel they are mostly the same (non)information being passed on rather than real, on-the-ground truth.

I can tell your for sure that the Express Bourricout and Jacotrans options work out very expensive for this situation. For 3 bags it was going to cost 164 euros!

Also I can personally confirm that the post office in SJPP does not handle large suitcases - 7kg max - so that was a no-go. It is possible someone with better French could negotiate a solution but not me :)

What I did find out, which may benefit others, is that the Pilgrim Office will hold your bags for free so you can return to SJPP (bus costs 20 euro from Pamplona) to get your bags. This is what I did - it was the best option for us by a long way.

Best of luck to all still on the camino - we met some fine people!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am arriving in Santiago in the next 2 weeks and want to post a book to the post office for me to collect. There seemms to be more than 1 post office. Does anyone know the address of the post office nearest to the centre?

When you check in your parcel, you simply ask for the address of the post office to where your parcel will be sent! Anne

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back