• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lista de correos update request March 08

F

Former member 2537

I have heard a rumor that the lista de correos service is proposing to lower the hold time to two weeks. The last information on the forum here was from last summer when it was apparently two *months*. Does anyone have any firm information about this?

I looked all over the Correos web site but could find nothing about lista de correos at all. I put in a request for a clarification but may or may not hear back.

Thanks...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I have time I will stop by the post office in Santiago tomorrow and ask... will be in the area, but not sure if I will have enough time... Will post my finding here... :)

Saludos,
Ivar

I stopped by the post office in old-town Santiago today and asked them about this.

They said:
For the "man in the street" (the regular Spaniard), the post office hold packages sent to "Lista de Correo" for 15 days. BUT, they have a special service for pilgrims and they hold it for 30 days if the package is market "Peregrino"

They did not know anything about the 2 week limit that you mentioned.

I hope this helps. :)

Saludos,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In July last year I wrote to the Correos asking them how long parcels sent by pilgrims are kept at the Post Office in Santiago and received this reply which clearly states that parcels are kept for 2 months

----- Original Message -----
From: "Atencion al Cliente, Correos y Telegrafos" <atcliente@correos.es>
To: <nilsens@mweb.co.za>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: RV: Solicitud de Informacin

Estimada Silvia:
Le informamos que los envíos dirigidos a lista permanecen en nuestras oficinas durante un plazo de 2 meses.
Espero que esta información le resulte de utilidad.
Queda a su completa disposición desde esta Web donde, además, si desea expresar su opinión o sugerencia sobre cualquiera de nuestros servicios, dispone del siguiente enlace: http://www.correos.es/contenido/08-Aten ... pinion.asp

Atentamente,

Mª Jesús Llabrés
Servicio de Atención al Cliente
Correos

When I read a recent post that a pilgrim's package had been returned I sent an email to Santiago, quoting the 2007 info and received this rather terse reply:

HACE AL MENOS UNOS TRES AÑOS QUE EL TIEMPO QUE PERMANECIAN EN LISTA TODOS LOS ENVIOS ERAN 2 MESES, YA LE DIGO EN EL AÑO 2.005 ESTO CAMBIA Y PASAN A SER 15 DIAS , NOSOTROS AL SER UNA OFICINA EMBLEMATICA , HICIMOS UNA NO CONFORMIDAD PARA QUE PERMANECIERAN AQUI AL MENOS LOS DE PEREGRINOS 1 MES ( 4 SEMANAS), Y ESO ES LO QUE TENEMOS ESTIPULADO HASTA LA FECHA.
DESCONOZCO EL MOTIVO DE POR QUE LE HAN INDICADO 2 MESES CUANDO EN NUESTROS PROCESOS PONE CLARAMENTE 15 DIAS .
SIENTO NO PODER AYUDARLE MAS .
SALUDOS

Mª. José Breña Herreruela
Directora Oficina Principal
Santiago de Compostela
Teléfono: 981-56.88.33 // 981-58.12.52
RICO: 83913
Fax: 981-56.32.88
RICO: 83449

I have now sent an email to Mª Jesús Llabrés, Servicio de Atención al Cliente, Correos to clarify the information.
Sil
(PS: Last year in September all three of us sent a parcel from Pamplona and collected it from Santiago 37 days later).

Hmmm.... I will print this out and re-visit to ask again... not sure if I have time in the next few days, but I will do so to be sure. I will post my response her when I have talked to them. When you hear anything Sil, would you post it here as well?

Ivar

I suppose it's possible to send from Pamplona to Burgos, from Burgos to Leon, from Leon to Ponferrada and from Ponferrada to Santiago ... to avoid the two-weeks limit.

But the best is to prepare your backpack with the lowest weight. And to have to send nothing.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Javier,
Many pilgrims stay in Spain (or Europe) for a holiday after walking el camino.
Last year I walked with 2 friends from Roncesvalles. When we arrived in Pamplona we each sent a small kit-bag of 'holiday clothes' to Santiago. My husband joined us in Sarria to walk the last 100kms.
We hired a car and drove from Santiago to Fistera then spent a week driving through Spain back to Pamplona spending a night in Lugo, Oviedo, Castrojeriz, Santo Domingo do Silos, Roncesvalles and Pamplona.
Last year pilgrims spent something like 730 000 nights in a refuge bed, and I'm sure many thousands also spent a night or two in hotels. This is big business for the Spanish tourist industry and, even if they charged a small collection fee for packages kept longer than two weeks, pilgrims would most probably still send luggage and parcels on to Santiago.
Perhaps this is an opportunity for an entrepeneur to fill a gap in the pilgrim industry!

I have been thinking about this as an idea for a small business after the Hostal "disaster", but not sure if I can make enough to make up for the rent (usually expensive in old town) and then making enough for paying my mortgage at home.

I am going into old-town right now (nice and sunny today!) and will have a look around for a place that might not bee too expensive to rent. :wink:

Saludos,
Ivar

Curiouser-and-curiouser!!

I've had this response to my request for clarification (I've included their email telling us that it was 2 months and my email telling them that we are confused).

My suggestion would be to include the word PEREGRINO on your parcel and the eta in big letters.

Dear Mrs. Nilsen:
The period within a parcel is in the office waiting its ádressee to fetch it is of 15 days.
Yours truly,
Atención al Cliente-Correos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De: nilsen [mailto:nilsens@mweb.co.za]
Enviado el: lunes, 17 de marzo de 2008 16:36
Para: Atencion al Cliente, Correos y Telegrafos
Asunto: Estamos confundidos!

Estimada Jesus,
A pilgrim reported to us that his parcel, sent to Santiago from Pamplona, was returned after 4 weeks. The Post Office in Santiago has told us that they do not keep parcels for more than 4 weeks. Please can you confirm that this is true as we will have to advise the different Amigos Santiago organisations around the world of this decision.
Kind regards,

Sylvia Nilsen
Confraternity of St James of South Africa
http://www.csjofsa.za.org/index1.php

(Un peregrino que se nos informe de que su paquete, enviado a Santiago de Pamplona fue devuelto después de 4 semanas. La Oficina de Correos en Santiago nos ha dicho que no mantenga las parcelas durante más de 4 semanas. Por favor, ¿puede confirmar que esto es cierto, como vamos a tener que asesorar a las diferentes organizaciones de Amigos de Santiago en todo el mundo de esta decisión.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All:
Is there any further clarification on the length of time the Post Office in Santiago will hold parcels? I am planning on sending something from Pamplona on May 10, but will not be arriving in Santiago until June 17th or thereabouts. Thanks.
Keith

Hi all,

So I stopped by the post office in Santiago again today, to see if I could get a definite answer to all this confusing. At first I got the standard "15 days" answer. Then I explained that I thought it was 30 days for pilgrims.... she then started to explain:

(More or less what she said was:)

The postal-lady: The computer only let's us keep a parcel for 15 days. This is the max number of days the computer system let's you keep a parcel.... if we keep it longer.. the computer system will "report" us to the central office and we will get a notice that we can not do this [Ivar: It seems like they would get some sort of penalty/reprimand/complaint]. The system of course is not taking into account that we have a special type of customers here in Santiago [Ivar: pilgrims] so we have a trick that we do. Before the 15 days are out we re-enter the parcel in the system for another 15 days.

Ivar: So does this mean that you will keep a pilgrim parcel for at least 30 days?

The postal-lady: Yes.

Ivar: This is of course important to know and be sure of before they post their parcel, since thye might be sent back to the original post office it was sent from.

The postal-lady: Yes I understand... let me tell you another trick. If you write on your parcel the "Lista de Correos " at the Santiago post office as the "sending" address we have nowhere to return your parcel.

Ivar: So then you will keep it for 30 days for sure.....

The postal-lady: Yes, then we would keep it in our storage room a lot longer than 30 days.

So that seems to give us some sort of explanation for the 15/30 days confusion. 15 days would be the official Correo answer. The 30 day answer seems to be the unofficial answer...

I hope this helps a bit.....

Saludos,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
jeff001 said:
Ivar:

Could you please clarify if the main post office has re-opened and what the correct postal code is?
The post office is still located at its temporary location, about 300 meters from the old location. The location of this temp office is:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ORFAS,+17 ... iwloc=addr

This is the address of the post office:
ORFAS, 17
15703 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (A CORUÑA)
Telf:981581252
Fax:981563288
... the postal code is the same as always, 15703.

Saludos,
Ivar

Ivar - do you mean 15780 ??

Well, the correos website gives the post office in Santiago the postal code of 15703...

... it seems like 15780 is the postal code for PO boxes and for parcels that pilgrims send to be held...

A quick Google search found this page that states:
15780 CODIGO POSTAL PARA APARTADOS PARTICULARES Y LISTA

Saludos,
Ivar

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,300
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Lista de correos update June 16, 2008

This is an important update on this thread. American Pilgrims on the Camino just received an e-mail from a pilgrim just returned from Spain saying:
----------
I just returned from Spain, and wanted to provide some important information regarding mailing packages (lista de correos). I mailed a package from Pamplona to Santiago. I had read that the Santiago post office would hold the package for 30 days if you write perigrino on the box and your date of arrival. This not true. They will only hold the package for 15 days in Santiago, then they send it back to the other post office. So they sent my box back to Pamplona. I did not have much luck in trying to get it shipped back to Santiago, and only had a few days before my flight. Needless to say, my stuff is still in Pamplona. I met a pilgrim from Holland, and the same thing happened to her.
----------

So the new advice - independent of what the Spanish postal system might claim - is to plan on a lista de correos package being held no longer than 15 days. Be advised!

I mailed a package from Logrono on May 6 and another from Leon on May 16. Both of them were waiting for me I Santiago on May 29. In an earlier post someone mentioned not putting a return address on the label and that sounds like a good idea if they will let you get away with it.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back