• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lists of accomodation

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
There is a new list of accomodation on the Camino Inglés at Mundicamino-Camino Inglés. This link gives the Albergues, there are further links on the side bar for Lodgings etc.
The CSJ guide to the Camino Inglés covers the albergues and some hostals. Has anyone stayed in any of the other hostals listed by Mundicamino, or does anyone know how much they charge?
We plan to walk the Camino Inglés in 2011 so cannot comment on the listed accomodation, but would appreciate feedback from others walking this year.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola
I have recently returned from the CI and this is where I stayed. The prices are all for my single room in January although they were nice big doubles. Not sure what they charge for doubles and later in the year.
Ferrol - Hostel Zahara 26.65€ nice room but traffic noise and good snack bar below. The parador in Ferrol looks very nice and is well placed for the start of the Camino and do have special offers sometimes.
Pontedeume - Hotel Eumesa 45€ including breakfast in cafe Tinos, I was so wet here I needed to dry out, lovely big room with view over garden and river.
Betanzos - Hotel Garelos 50€ including breakfast could'nt find anywhere else to stay. Good room and breakfast.
Meson do Vento - Pension O Meson Novo 18€ lovely warm room, nice family and good bar with tapas.
Siguero - Hostal Miras 15€ very basic and lots of traffic noise but food is good.
Liz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have returned from the CI this week. It took 5 days but is not a route I would recommend. If you want to walk this route please realise it is not on the flat and requires a lot of uphill work. To train for this walk you need to do a lot of hill walking not long flat walks. It is not a very pretty walk in fact it is quite ugly in parts without many good views. you should think about doing the last 100km of one of the other walks.
Unfortunately the alberques are not well placed. If you set out from Ferrol there are lots of hotels there just go to the tourist office and they can advise.If you set out 8/9 in the morning you will come to the Alberque at Neda by lunch time and it is too early to stop. The natural stop is Pontedeume i stayed in Bar Louis 13euros. The next day you arrive at the next alberque Mino by lunch time and so you carry on. In Betanzos we went to the chocolateria and had rooms 15 euros.
We arrived at the Alberque in Bruma by about 5pm and it has 28 beds but there were only us three there cost 5euros Benito and his wife are marvellous and sent out to a restaurant to have food delivered to us.
we were warned about Hostal Miras in Siqueiro and they were right. It was 15 euros but the reception was poor. The chef refused to cook as he was wathching football. Nothing open next morning and so no food or drink for first 7 miles. I do not know how to avoid this stop but try to find an alternative. However this was the only place on the whole trip that we could enter the church. Mass is at 6 not 7 as it is still deemed to be Winter. Hope this helps

There is a new way, apparently, now across from Betanzos to Cambre. This looks as though it will break the stages into about 15km if using a mix of albergues and hostals/hotels which is our plan. We live in a very hilly area so the hills are not themselves a problem, long stages are!
Yes, we have watched your video Johnny and it just confirms that this is where we want to be in 2011.
TerryB and Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have done this route twice now and think its lovely, the only place I didnt attend mass was Meson de vento, I did not stay at the alburgue at Bruma, thinking about where to eat and Meso de Vento was easier. Hostel Miras in Siguero is full of typically Spanish locals[ men playing cards and cooking whenever] which I love and they do serve meals and beakfast.
Liz

Hola - I've just had an e mail from someone who has recently completed the route saying that indeed more work has been done on the route up grading paths and waymarking etc. Tia and Tio please also think about visiting A Coruna if not walking that arm, it is lovely.

Best

John

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola - I've just had an e mail from someone who has recently completed the route saying that indeed more work has been done on the route up grading paths and waymarking etc. Tia and Tio please also think about visiting A Coruna if not walking that arm, it is lovely.
Best
John
Thank you, just what we need to know. We are thinking about the best way to see A Coruña and the Pillar of Hercules. Maybe walk and then bus back up before going home, or the reverse and then go to Ferrol to start. We would be going into Santander on the ferry and catching bus/train from there to Ferrol/A Coruña anyway. All part of our planning for next year, and 2 kind folk off the Forum have already sent us their maps.
Meanwhile this year's walk calls. I want to go to Oviedo and on part of the Primitivo before walking to Santiago in 2011, (Terry was there May last year) so part pilgrimage and part preparation for next year's pilgrimage on the Inglés.
Thank you for your encouragement
Tia Valeria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
daimarlow said:
If you want to walk this route please realise it is not on the flat and requires a lot of uphill work. To train for this walk you need to do a lot of hill walking not long flat walks. It is not a very pretty walk in fact it is quite ugly in parts without many good views. you should think about doing the last 100km of one of the other walks.

We walked A Coruna to Santiago last March - it was a lovely walk if a bit wet and windy at times. Yes, there are hills. We live in the Fens (flat) in east England and do not regularly walk up hills, so I puffed up one or two, but with pauses for breath and a steady pace they were perfectly manageable. We had just 'done' a daughter's wedding, so were physically quite tired and emotionally exhausted! Our training beforehand had been one longish (6 - 8 miles or 9 - 12 km) walk most weekends for the previous couple of months, with a backpack on with about 4 tims of baked beans wrapped in a towel as well as out lunch.

I disagree strongly about the ugliness - except maybe for the outskirts of Santiago. We walked through green tunnels among moss covered trunks and violet-clad banks. We crossed trickling streams on stepping stones and watched catkins blowing in the wind. We walked under mimosa in bloom and passed dainty miniature narcissi. The sky was bright blue (when not raining - it was early March) with white clouds. The long hill before Bruma offered a succession of magnificent views. We sat in little bar-cum-village shops to sit out a shower once or twice where people were friendly, sandwiches and drinks provided cheerfully and loos handy. We smiled at people out in their gardens who smiled back.

To return to practicalities - we walked from A Coruna to Os Campons and Hostel Alba for our first night. Then to Bruma and the albergue which had the kindest hospitaliero but was quite cold.Then to Sigueiro and Hostel Miras which was basic but adequate, and cheap, - the showers were hot even if the bathroom wasn't very! I am racking my memory to remember where we ate our evening meal - I think we had a pizza somewhere. But we had loads of cups of tea in the bar or the Hostel Miras.

Then next day into Santiago. I was not disappointed by anything about this, my first experience of walking a camino in Spain, except actually arriving in front of the cathedral in a thick drizzle, everything was so dark gray and I didn't like the baroque front at all!! Next day when I was less tired and found the early medieval stuff I cheered up enormously!!

Anyway, I wrote up our Camino Ingles very fully with pictures - see below and click on March 2009.

love
Bridget

I am sorry if my comments seem negative but I am just saying what we three thought of the Camino. All I am saying is yes please do the pigrimage to Santiago but think carefully about which route to take. Johniewalker has done a brilliant job providing detailed information and I have viewed the video. However, all three of us were extremely disappointed with the scenery and having trained on the Pembrokeshire coastal path perhaps we were expecting too much. It is also possible that the bad weather which hit Spain three weeks ago had damaged all the flora. People walking this camino must be prepared for long periods walking through woodland which does not vary for miles and unfortunately in parts has been used by locals to dump building materials, Broken bathroom suites asbestos sheets etc. In 114km we only saw 3 rabbits and 2 squirrels no bird life.

There can be no argument that the approach to Santiago is disappointing taking you through wharehouses factories and blocks of high rise flats.

With regard to my comments re the hostal in Siqueiro yes it is typically local with men playing cards etc and is inexpensive but the restaurant was closed in the evening. We were told it would open at 8pm but it did not nor was it open by 8.45 as the chef was watching football and refused to move. If you want to eat in the morning it was still closed at 8.15am when we left. If you want to eat in the evening there is an excellent restaurant around the corner.

All the people we met wlth the exception of Hostal Miras were great and could not have been kinder.
For planning if you are not staying in the Alberques then you do not need sleeping bags towels etc and can just take small hand luggage. Happy to talk to anyone and can give copies of maps of Ferol and Santiago. Which ever route you decide relax and enjoy it you will feel a great sense of achievement at the end.

Dai

I'm sure the storms must have had an effect. And yes, the Ingles is very different from the Pembrokeshire coast! You would like Norte - although probably not the climb between Irun and San Sebastian!

Have you walked other caminos? Or are you going to?

Attachments

• DSCF0280scaled.JPG
    DSCF0280scaled.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 8,595
  • DSCF0278scaled.JPG
    DSCF0278scaled.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 8,596
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry you had a negative time Dai but we have given much thought to this and this is the Camino we are going for next May.
We like woodlands, they are not boring to us. Neither is there much fauna or flora around our woodlands yet - too early in the year.
Rubbish/fly tipping - just like home then :evil:

We'll keep making our plans in joyful anticipation. :D
Also hoping that Johnny Walker might be doing an update to the guide covering the new cross-over section, from Betanzos to Cambre, before we go. If not we'll use the maps to help follow the signing.
Tia Valeria

Really ought to post some pics of the Ingles here too!

Attachments

• DSCF0208scaled.jpg
    DSCF0208scaled.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 8,583
  • DSCF0246scaled.jpg
    DSCF0246scaled.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 8,592
  • DSCF0249scaled.jpg
    DSCF0249scaled.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8,568
And some more - I think I like woods too.

Attachments

• DSCF0274scaled.jpg
    DSCF0274scaled.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8,560
  • DSCF0299scaled.jpg
    DSCF0299scaled.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8,562
  • DSCF0311scaled.jpg
    DSCF0311scaled.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 8,577
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And yet more

Maybe early March last year was more spring-like than this year - I have noticed that the Lenten roses in my garden which last year were fully out and used in bridesmaids' bouquets are not yet flowering this year.

Attachments

• DSCF0355scaled.jpg
    DSCF0355scaled.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8,551
  • DSCF0357scaled.jpg
    DSCF0357scaled.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 8,548
the chef was watching football and refused to move.
In Ostabat (not on the Camino Ingles), a World Cup game was being played by France at suppertime, and nothing moved in the gite until it was over, well, except for drinks. The interested were huddled around the television. The disinterested, mostly the women, patiently waited. After France won, the owner/chef/bartender went to work and fed us quite efficiently. It was certainly the case that his pleasure trumped my convenience, but I did not view it that way at the time.

Beautiful pictures, thank you again Bridget and Peter.

Going back to the original question re accomodation etc:-
daimarlow said:- With regard to my comments re the hostal in Siqueiro yes it is typically local with men playing cards etc and is inexpensive but the restaurant was closed in the evening. We were told it would open at 8pm but it did not nor was it open by 8.45 as the chef was watching football and refused to move. If you want to eat in the morning it was still closed at 8.15am when we left. If you want to eat in the evening there is an excellent restaurant around the corner.
Many places in Spain do not open until late, as we have found on previous visits as tourists and when I went out to fetch Terry home last year. The bars were open but no food until 9pm. Breakfast might be elsewhere too, even if staying in a hotel.
Can we have the name of the restaurant you did eat in please Dai, for those who don't want to wait until after 9pm.
Thanks,
Tia Valeria

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked this route the last week of January this year and the first day was very wet but the weather improved over the 5 days. I dont have any photos to attach I only have an old camera but I saw violets, primroses, lovely camelias , I think, and all sorts of flowers, also baby lambs, goats, cattle and lots of birds. Hostel Miras restaurant never opens in the evening until 8.30 - 9pm but did'nt open when I was there so I ate in the bar, [it was fairly quiet so everyone ate in the bar] and I just had menu del dia, meat or fish with a very good bottle of rioja. One of the lady's did the cooking. They do serve a sort of breakfast, coffee cake etc. I have enjoyed every camino I have done, CF and VDLp.
Liz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As far as I know this is a municipal albergue, not private, so cannot be booked. However the CSJ guide gives the number as (+34)981 692 921.
If you really want to book somewhere then you can walk a further 2km to Meson do Vento and book into the O Meson Novo, (+34)981 692 776 or (+34)981 696 808.
Instructions, places to stay including telephone numbers etc are all in the CSJ guide to the Camino Inglés, a very worthwhile investment.

joaodamatta said:
Do you know how can I book the Bruma's Alberque? Is there a phone number or an email? Thanx

As far as I know you cannot book the albergue at Hosp da Bruma, but there should be plenty of room whenever you go as the Ingles is a very quiet route.
However, when I stayed there last April, a Spanish couple whom I'd overtaken on the way from Betanzos did apparently phone ahead, because Benino the hospitalero told me, "amigos will arrive in 3 hours"....and they did.
And that night there were just the 3 of us.

ok. Thank you for the informations.
let me explain my doubts:
I will make the Camino Inglés at april and I'd like to know
1 - is it possible to make it in three days?
2 - all the albergues you just go there and is not necessary to book them? but if they are full, I will just sleep on the streets (sorry my the drama)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
joaodamatta said:
ok. Thank you for the informations.
let me explain my doubts:
I will make the Camino Inglés at april and I'd like to know
1 - is it possible to make it in three days?
2 - all the albergues you just go there and is not necessary to book them? but if they are full, I will just sleep on the streets (sorry my the drama)
1 When we were walking last year there were some young Spanish pilgrims planning to walk in 3 days, others in 4 days. I do not know if they succeeded but if you want a Compostela you will need to collect your sellos to prove you really have walked all the way. The Pilgrims' Office was concerned last year that people were either taking shortcuts, so less than 100kms, or getting rides to cover the distance in the time, so they might take some convincing.
2 The albergues, yes you just go. First there get the beds. In most places there are alternative places (hostales etc) to sleep although they cost more. First person to reach the albergue might need to ring for the place to be opened, but it works well.
Buen Camino

Pontedeume Municipal Albergue. Once you cross the bridge, take immediate right along waterfront.
. You'll see a two story white municipal building. Immediately behind is a long stone building, under reconstruction. Mid way on this building, you will find a green sign for the albergue and a new door. Staying here tonight. Beautiful hardwood floors and appointments. Clean, large skylights, 20 beds. Hot showers, but only two and collocated with loo, toilet, sink. Water can flood the floor. No washing room, must use sink. No outside rear access so no place to dry gear. Still, clean, dry, hot water and toilet paper rules!
Sign says opens at 19:30, but folks in white municipal offices (up stairs) can call to open at earlier time. The more it's used the better for all.
Arn

Sabine,
First day, taxi from airport to Hostal Magallanes. Checked in, showered, taxi to waterfront and walked back to Hostal...about 5 km. The folks here were great, water hot, food tasty. Picked up the CI about 1/2 km and walked across the bridge to Neda...on to Pontedeuma. Partly cloudy, but no real rain till arrival at Albergue. Not a difficult day.
Arn

Well,

Back in the states and nearly a month since completing the Camino Ingles (April 12 to 16th).

Rained nearly every day and, on one occasion, sleet. I saw on TV later in the day that there was snow in the higher elevations. For the most part the walkway, paths and forested areas were well drained, with few problems, with one exception the long stretch of mud and stone between Bruma and Seguerio. Heavy truck traffic produces deep ruts making the walk difficult and hazardous to ankles and knees.

Broke the 29km section from Betanzos to Bruma in two by stopping at the Bar Julia (18km) where Antonio from Meson de Novo picked me up and then dropped me off the next day (11km). I really liked the Meson...very clean and airy rooms, good food, great beer and wine and football on the TV...what more can you ask?

In Segueiro stopped at the Hotel Miras which is just before the next waymark across the river. What a great place to watch people. At one table was a group of men playing a lively game of dominos. Click, clack, expletive...click...expletive. Later a new group took some cards off a rack on the wall, paper, pencils and...off they went! Cards quietly thrown in, underhanded dealing by a young man, comments worth deleting...what a great time. By supper time life was good. A big steak with all the fixins. Good beer, great wine and more football! The rooms are very basic and the beds noisy. Still a good experience.

Going out of town toward SDC, once you cross the bridge and make the left turn toward the Church...pass the Church on your left with the band stand on your right. I missed this in the dark.

The last 10 km into SDC can be confusing. Once you hit the main road...you are on a very narrow shoulder. With the rain...the traffic on this stretch can be nerve wracking. There's another stretch of frontage road that leads up a sandy bank before turning right alongside a minor sunken road (it had caved in when I was there and repairs being made) then section alongside some warehouses. When you turn left at the T junction you are now on paved streets and sidewalks into SDC.

In SDC I stayed two days at the Hostal Girasol (five minutes from the cathedral). The food was great, the beer cold, wine plentiful and the Aguardiente smooth, the owners very accommodating and football top shelf: Sunday Bayern-Munich vs Real Madrid...Monday Chelsea vs Barcelona. If you have an early flight out, best to pay your tab the previous night as they don't open until after 0800. They will arrange a taxi to pick you up (20 euros to airport).

I had a good Camino, met very few other pilgrims along the Way (five total...all women).

This is a good Camino for pilgrims with few days to walk to SDC. With the exception of a few stretches in and out of major towns...the paths are beautiful, forested and well marked.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
This is a good Camino for pilgrims with few days to walk to SDC. With the exception of a few stretches in and out of major towns...the paths are beautiful, forested and well marked.
Hi Arn! Glad you enjoyed it.

I tend not to recommend the Ingles to people with limited time unless they already have experience of a Camino or hiking generally, the reason being the relatively few options for accommodation compared to the Frances and also the lack of company. I don't know if I'm being a bit patronising, but I don't want people to roll up and think 'Hey, where is everyone?'

Interested in your views on this, having just done it.

Buen Camino!

View from last year,having done it - met 2 others (Spanish couple) otherwise nobody at all .
Taking my subsequent caminos into account,it was probably about my speed,in fact more comfortable for me than being "alone in a crowd of others" on my recent Frances.
Despite the attraction of a free pint of beer on arrival at SdC, not many seem to fancy the Ingles.... :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sojourner47 said:
View from last year,having done it - met 2 others (Spanish couple) otherwise nobody at all .
Taking my subsequent caminos into account,it was probably about my speed,in fact more comfortable for me than being "alone in a crowd of others" on my recent Frances.
Despite the attraction of a free pint of beer on arrival at SdC, not many seem to fancy the Ingles.... :D
What?! Free beer?! Or was that the April Fools' thing? :)

I guess my question is whether or not we think the Ingles is a good first Camino. I loved it as a second Camino, but I'd be concerned that for some people it might be lonely or disappointing. Especially if they had been reading the postings about the Frances and were expecting albergues full of snoring pilgs etc.

I was lucky and did meet a few people who left a big impression on me, but it was a very different experience from the Frances.

Buen Camino!

Does this depend on personal preference? My first Camino was the Levante which was totally solitary until it joined the Sanabres. The Ingles came second. A lovely route, not too busy but other pilgrims around. I guess I prefer quieter walking,

Andy

andy.d said:
Does this depend on personal preference?
Hi Andy!

Yes, of course it's personal preference and we're all different in what we like and our walking experience. I'm just a bit wary about recommending the Ingles as an alternative to doing a section of the Frances because I think they're quite different, especially if you're unsure about how far you can walk, nervous about travelling alone, have limited Spanish etc.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We too liked the quiet walking of the Ingles. Just back from the Primitivo, with no other pilgrims in sight many days. Palas do Rei was a bit of a shock. There were more pilgrims at breakfast in our cafe than we had seen for nearly two weeks :)
We´ll be posting on the Primitivo thread later, when we are sorted out

Just back from the Primitivo, with no other pilgrims in sight many days.
People make the camino for me. "No other pilgrims" is like an empty church -- pretty but distant.

Tia Valeria said:
We too liked the quiet walking of the Ingles. Just back from the Primitivo, with no other pilgrims in sight many days. Palas do Rei was a bit of a shock. There were more pilgrims at breakfast in our cafe than we had seen for nearly two weeks :)
We´ll be posting on the Primitivo thread later, when we are sorted out

Look forward to your post about Primitivo Tia! Still debating myself between the Ingles/ Primitivo/ Vasco after the Frances last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
Just back from the Primitivo, with no other pilgrims in sight many days.
People make the camino for me. "No other pilgrims" is like an empty church -- pretty but distant.

I know what you mean - but there was such a deep profundity in walking the first three weeks of the Levante as the only pilgrim. Such an experience,

Andy

SabineP said:
Look forward to your post about Primitivo Tia! Still debating myself between the Ingles/ Primitivo/ Vasco after the Frances last year.

The Primitivo was wonderful. A few other pilgrims but not many. None some days. Only a huge influx around the 1st May holiday when albergues were overfull and folk used hostales. We were a day ahead of them until Grandas, where we spent 2 days, and they passed us :).

As far as accomodation goes we were fine. On the Ingles we hear that Johnnie W was going this week to see if there were more open/opening.

Not sure if we would recommend one or the other, part would depend on the time you have. We´ll be posting on the Primitivo thread shortly; need to sort our minds and photos out :)

I am flying in Friday Sept 13th from Australia to A Caruna, and wish to spend 2 nights there before bussing to Ferrol to begin the Ingles on Monday 16th. Are there some reccommendations for budget accommodation in A Caruna please?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Basic questions: would you recommend the CI for first time pilgrims? We are experienced hikers so no problem with climbing...
Do you just start hiking with no reservations at hostels etc?
Do you need or can you rent sleeping bags /pads locally?
We are planning on going in Early June, enjoy meeting people

Although I had walked a little on the Primitivo and Norte - just to see how I managed - the Inglés was my first real Camino. It was just right.

We stayed overnight in Ferrol and with hindsight would have been better booking a bed for that night as Ferrol was crowded - it was the weekend. If staying overnight it is worth walking the section from the harbour to your accomodation then starting from that next morning.

You cannot book the albergues but there are also hostales/habitaciones along the route which you can phone ahead and book. We did this in the evening when we knew where we would reach next day. For the albergue at Mino we followed the instruction to phone the hospitalero on arrival to ask for the key. They checked us in and then left the albergue open, returning later to book others in.

We carried light sleeping bags, which we needed at Mino as we saw no sign of blankets there, but they do give you a disposable sheet and pillow case.

If you download Johnnie Walkers guide to the Camino Inglés you will find not only directions but also good advice re all types of accomodation with phone numbers. You can walk a 5 day Camino or do what we did and take more time by combining the mix of accomodation. Our record of our Camino Inglés is on the returntothecamino blog under May 2011

Have a great time and Buen Camino

Thanks so much for the information. Enjoyed your pictures of the ingles. I saw that you arrived via ferry? Is this a good option both from time and cost ? Have you walked the frances? We are also considering the last 100 km of the frances to get an understanding of That walk as we are thinking of possibly walking that in a future trip...any insights you could share?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For us the ferry is the obvious option as we are near the ferry port. It would cost as much, or more, to get to Stanstead/other airport (probably with overnight accomodation) and then to fly. Really it depends on where in the UK you live.
If you go onto Brittany Ferries website ( http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-spain )you can work out the costs easily (Plymouth/Portsmouth to Santander) and do your own comparison.

The Francés does not appeal to us, although the late section after the Primitivo or Norte is unavoidable. In 2009 for Terry it was very crowded, we were more fortunate in 2012 with fewer people around but 'same' month.

Sorry if there's already an answer to this question, I must have missed it.

During our Camino Ingles next June, midway tomSantiago, we are walking from Betamzos and hoping to stay at the Hotel Cas das Veigas near Abegomdo and Carral.
Please can you tell me how far off the Camino this is? Many thanks.

I am not sure exactly but when we looked at staying near Abegondo we were told that it was about 3kms off the Camino to our chosen hotel and having walked about 10kms+ we would then be only 6kms from Betanzos. As Carral is further away than that I would guess it is about 6kms at least off the Camino. Have you tried checking on Google maps. Take the distance from San Esteban de Cos, which is on the Camino and near the road junction to Abegondo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am not sure exactly but when we looked at staying near Abegondo we were told that it was about 3kms off the Camino to our chosen hotel and having walked about 10kms+ we would then be only 6kms from Betanzos. As Carral is further away than that I would guess it is about 6kms at least off the Camino. Have you tried checking on Google maps. Take the distance from San Esteban de Cos, which is on the Camino and near the road junction to Abegondo.

Thanks very much!

Further to query on distance of Casa das Veigas from the Camino Ingles - the other day I found some lovely old style maps of the route but I can't find them now! Does anyone recognise this map and where I might find it?

http://www.concellooroso.com/images/turismo_camino_oroso.jpg

Above is the link to the image north of Sigueiro but I can't access any others in the series.

Hope you wonderful people out there can help me once again?
Many thanks
Sheena

I don't recognise the map but using Google maps I think that you at looking at 9kms or so off the Camino Ingles (Ferrol arm). San Esteban de Cos is on the Camino and is to aprox 3kms to the east of the A-9 Betanzos - Santiago road while your casa rural is twice that to the west.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back