• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Little update on the Geira

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
I have been watching posts on facebook for this route, pilgrims are still walking it, they expected 2 to 3 thousand this year, as of now from the 1st July they have had about 100 pilgrims, they are being very warmly welcomed. Signage is not complete yet , they still recommend taking GPS. They have waymarked some sections recently but completion won't happen now probably to next year.
Pilgrim dedicated Albergues at the moment are in 3 locations, Braga, Caldelas ( 17km after Braga) and Santiago. An Albergue was put the list at the begining of March for Pilgrims in Pontevea( 17 km before Santiago) but was taken off just before the routes opened again, maybe when it's safer for local people it will come on again. Other Albergues are just 1, a youth hostel in Campo de Geras ( 28-30 km after Caldelas). Some Hotels and Casa rurals give special discounts for pilgrims, usually ranging from 15-30 Euro's. Casa Rurals do accept individual pilgrims. The reports and links given for them seem to indicate that they are quite luxurious, some have swimming pools, extensive gardens and on the Galician side a few are in the Pazo style buildings, This won't last, as more pilgrims walk this way and other more pilgrim orientated places open the offers will stop, I have seen it happen on other Caminos. So if you want possibly the most unspoilt Camino into Santiago, through very rural parts of Northern Portugal and Galicia, staying , on largely natural or Roman paths, through the only national park in Portugal( there is other recognised areas but no other national parks), on a Camino which I keep seeing described as the most beautiful route from the pilgrims that have walked it, which at first I thought was bluster, but I have seen this comment repeated over and over again from Pilgrims who walked many routes, then this route is worth considering.

I intend to start out next August, I could go earlier but I am going to treat myself and walk in the summer months, I was watching the recent posts from August and the sheer colour and vibrancy swung it for me. + on paper it has the least rain, temps don't bother me, I have walked in 40c before and fortunately my body copes with it. The only downside is the pilgrims offers could be withdrawn due to the large number of tourists at some places.
This came up on my Facebook feed today for accommodation, here is a ScreenshotScreenshot_20200930-135426.png

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely on my list. For those who can’t manage a 6 week hiatus in their real world life, caminos like this one are perfect. Unfortunately for those of us who have to choose, there are at least three up there in the same general area. In addition to the Geira, you have the Caminho Portugues Interior and the Via de la Plata Zamorano. All look to be wonderful. @Isca-camigo, how diid you choose?

Buen camino, Laurie

I want to walk all three of them😆, but I have been watching this one for the last decade, checking in to see if there has been any developments, and I knew once it had got recognition from the cathedral last year I would have to walk it before it came too crowded, being a 'new' route into Santiago imo. means it will become very popular, like the Ingles went from a couple of hundred to several thousand quite quickly.
+ The beauty attracts me, I really did think it was bluster, we are all bit prone to talking up the Caminos we have completed but it has been such a constant theme that I started to look at the videos and pictures I was seeing and began to feel the beauty of the route. I want to do the Invierno next year as well, hopefully if I do both I can give comparisons on here that people can relate too.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coincidently last week I was with the President of one of the local associations (Codeseda Viva) Carlos da Barreira who clarified to me that the route is called The Way of Geira Arrieiros but also known as the Camíno Miñoto Ribeiro. I agree with what you are saying but with some clarifications.

The route certainly is very wild and beautiful but very challenging too having to climb mountains to get into Galicia and there's plenty of ups and downs in Galicia too. Last year there were about 1000 pilgrims on it but this year very few indeed. It's not likely to really take off given its difficulty and remoteness. But that's an attraction to some of us.

Carlos told me the last 100km in Galicia will be fully marked by the end of this year. The signage from Braga in Portugal too should follow a similar timetable. He told me that the Xunta de Galicia have still to confirm its official status. It has been accepted by the Cathedral de Santiago as an historic Camíno and the Pilgrim Office recognise it. So in the future albergues and infrastructure should gradually improve. So it's a bit behind the Camíno de Invierno in terms of new investment. Carlos prefers to walk it in September or the Spring but as you know walking in Galicia in August is usually really pleasant as you always encounter shade on each stage. Braga can get pretty hot though so a few early starts should help.

I hope to do it soon we'll before you. I've done the Invierno which is comparable albeit much of the Camino until Ribeiro is really remote. For many pilgrims that can't climb mountains I would certainly recommend starting in Ribadavia the capital of Ribeiro wine producing area or somewhere in the vicinity as its 109 km from Santiago which you can do in 5 stages.

I'll keep you all posted too with any developments as I know all the local associations and mayors involved with the promotion of the route.

The route certainly is very wild and beautiful but very challenging too having to climb mountains to get into Galicia and there's plenty of ups and downs in Galicia

Yes that was what I was reading from various posts, I assumed the most beautiful sections are in the national park until a FB poster said the queen stage was after Ribadavia which made me realise that the different beauty of post Ribadavia sections was no less beautiful than the photogenic beauty of the previous sections.

It's not likely to really take off given its difficulty and remoteness. But that's an attraction to some of us.

I disagree with you on this one, but I would be quite happy to be wrong and we can discuss it over some refreshment or two hopefully next year.

Carlos prefers to walk it in September or the Spring but as you know walking in Galicia in August is usually really pleasant as you always encounter shade on each stage.

My last few Caminos have been in the winter, but I want to give myself the summer experience again. I will be in Spain from 12th August to 1st September, depending what happens at the end of my Camino I might come back to Ribadavia for the fiesta they have on the last weekend of August. I want to have sometime after my Camino to do some exploring.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Yes that was what I was reading from various posts, I assumed the most beautiful sections are in the national park until a FB poster said the queen stage was after Ribadavia which made me realise that the different beauty of post Ribadavia sections was no less beautiful than the photogenic beauty of the previous sections.

I disagree with you on this one, but I would be quite happy to be wrong and we can discuss it over some refreshment or two hopefully next year.

My last few Caminos have been in the winter, but I want to give myself the summer experience again. I will be in Spain from 12th August to 1st September, depending what happens at the end of my Camino I might come back to Ribadavia for the fiesta they have on the last weekend of August. I want to have sometime after my Camino to do some exploring.

Buen Camino

Yes fantastic feedback..yes it would be great to meet-up as I should be around then..I agree with you that it would be fantastic if the camino does get popular in the future..I hope at least that Ribadavia will get more popular. You're right about the stages near Ribadavia..I love for example the section from Beade to Pazos de Arenteiro..keep in touch then

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another little update on the Geira: more than 2,000 pilgrims have travelled this route since it was launched five years ago, including nearly 800 so far this year (only slightly fewer than the last non-pandemic year of 2019). Of the 2000, it is evenly split between walkers and cyclists (it's a popular cycling route because it can be done in a long weekend), and most pilgrims are Portuguese (75%) or Spanish (20%).

These statistics are based on the register at the Café da Geira e dos Arrieiros in Codaseda, the actual numbers will be higher.

Article in Portuguese here:
MAIS DE DOIS MIL PEREGRINOS JÁ FIZERAM O CAMINHO BRAGA A SANTIAGO

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back