• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Littoral Route from Porto info

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I may just be missing it in the fog of threads and posts....but is there a discussion of the Littoral Route that sticks to Littoral without the Coastal discussion?
It is often a confusing mix of routes.
Is there a dedicated guide or a proper Littoral section in another guide?
I did walk it in 2015... but just walked with no information on accommodations or distances.
I will walk it again this year with my wife....and she asks a lot of question and ....expects answers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Grayland,

I'm hoping to walk this route at the end of April and am also looking for more information on the route. There are Luis Freixo's maps, which are linked on others' posts, and just yesterday I found the attached file on the American Pilgrims of the Camino Facebook page under "Files". It's been created by Martin Flannery, and as he's posted it as a public document on Facebook I'm assuming it would be okay to share it here. He saved it as a Word document, but I had to convert it to a .pdf to post it here. It seems very in-depth but I haven't really studied it too much yet.

Attachments

• Portuguese Camino Route Planner by Martin Flannery.pdf
    799 KB · Views: 421
I saw the "document" from Martin Flannery. It is very confusing.
It seems to run the narrative together for the various routes into one long description.
I am also confused as to where he got the turn by turn descriptions as he opens the guide by indicating he is intending to walk one of the routes. It looks a lot like the old style of the CSJ guides.

Further...the description of the start of the Littoral from Porto is nothing like the route I walked....it lost me immediately as I did not recognize anything.

It may be a good resource but I can't get anything useful from it.
Others may disagree.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I too am spooked by the confusing descriptions of routes out of Porto. Since we don't have time to get lost, I think we will travel the Central Route, starting at the top of Porto by Metro at Vilar do Pinheiro!

Last edited:
Ed, I've written walking notes for the Coastal Route with clear indications where it crosses with the Senda Littoral which can be used as an alternative between two places. The route is very simple to follow, the stops are basically the same therefore the accommodation listing is common. When I first walked the Senda Littoral I went into the Tourist office in Porto they gave me a road map which was sufficiently detailed to work out the mileages and a list of accommodation in each town - now there is booking.com!
The CSJ should gave published my coastal addendum to the Camino Portugués by now. If not I'll be back in SDC in a week or so and we can sort it out.

John

Thanks John. I had no problem walking on the Littoral..and not deviating onto the Coastal by myself a couple of years ago...the confusion I have is that the terms Littoral and Coastal seem to be interchanged and used rather loosely in many descriptions,
I assume you are referring to your update of the CSJ Guide. I had forgotten that you had updated it.

A bit off topic....I am enjoying your posts on your current Mozarabe Camino.
Anyone wanting to check them out can have a look at the CSJ Facebook site.
A lot of familiar people there.
CONFRATERNITY OF SAINT JAMES (CSJ) Facebook

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too am spooked by the confusing descriptions of routes out of Porto. Since we don't have time to get lost, I think we will travel the Central Route, starting at the top of Porto by Metro at Vilar do Pinheiro!

I started at Vilar do Pineiro after walking back from Matosinhos the previous night. In retrospect I should have walked from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde, stayed the night and cut across to Rates. From Vilar do Pineiro you are walking by the side of the road most of the way with little, sometimes no room to get away from oncoming traffic. I am used to walking along busy roads, I do it regularly here in Scotland but the drivers in Portugal acted as if they wanted to run me down. I didn't enjoy that stretch at all, was seriously anxious a lot of the time and suggest the other route, but other people might have different opinions or experiences. Bom Caminho!

I only found the Senda Litoral on the Luis Freixo maps. The Coastal route sometimes overlaps the Senda and sometimes goes further inland. I walked before Grayland and found that the Coastal route had painted arrows, but I was on my own when I decided to follow the Senda. It wasn't much of an issue.

I will walk it again this year with my wife....and she asks a lot of question and ....expects answers.

Shoot, I just saw you both last weekend! We could have talked about it then...although I'm not sure why she would trust me any more than you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last edited:
Ed, I've written walking notes for the Coastal Route with clear indications where it crosses with the Senda Littoral which can be used as an alternative between two places. The route is very simple to follow, the stops are basically the same therefore the accommodation listing is common. When I first walked the Senda Littoral I went into the Tourist office in Porto they gave me a road map which was sufficiently detailed to work out the mileages and a list of accommodation in each town - now there is booking.com!
The CSJ should gave published my coastal addendum to the Camino Portugués by now. If not I'll be back in SDC in a week or so and we can sort it out.
John

It appears that the CSJ has not made the Coastal update available yet...at least I can only see the original updated Central route listed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started at Vilar do Pineiro after walking back from Matosinhos the previous night. In retrospect I should have walked from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde, stayed the night and cut across to Rates. From Vilar do Pineiro you are walking by the side of the road most of the way with little, sometimes no room to get away from oncoming traffic. I am used to walking along busy roads, I do it regularly here in Scotland but the drivers in Portugal acted as if they wanted to run me down. I didn't enjoy that stretch at all, was seriously anxious a lot of the time and suggest the other route, but other people might have different opinions or experiences. Bom Caminho!
SEB,

Thanks so much for this advice. I will seriously rethink this!!

Olá SEB,
Yes, Vilar do Pinheiro > Rates is not a good idea. I have done it twice and it was horrible because of the hellish drivers. Later I have done the way Vila do Conde > Rates several times and I can recommend it. It´s easy to get on the way. Passing the bridge in Vila do Conde there are yellow arrows to the right. After 150 m slightly to the left and uphills to a big roundabout with metro tracks in the middle. Straight over the roundabout into Avenida Bernardino Machado. Point of orientation is a big warehause in the distance - that´s all and in Rates you are on the Caminho Central.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:
Olá SEB,
Yes, Vilar do Pinheiro > Rates is not a good idea. I have done it twice and it was horrible because of the hellish drivers. Later I have done the way Vila do Conde > Rates several times and I can recommend it. It´s easy to get on the way. Passing the bridge in Vila do Conde there are yellow arrows to the right. After 150 m slightly to the left and uphills to a big roundabout with metro tracks in the middle. Straight over the roundabout into Avenida Bernardino Machado. Point of orientation is a big warehause in the distance - that´s all.

Bom caminho

Rainer
Rainer and SEB,
It is so helpful to hear your experiences with these routes.
I am not at all familiar with the Portugese Camino, but it seems clear that taking the Coastal or Littoral route out
of Porto is a good idea. Planning to take the central route to Santiago, how do you make your way back to that portion of the Camino from the coastal area?
Also, are there any other really bad roadways to avoid when on the Central route?
Thanks so much!

I have recently discovered a site that gives a blow by blow description of where to turn etc along great the Senda de litoral.

kellyscamino.com

It is in 2 parts

Buenos Camino

I arrive in Porto May 22nd and am doing the Senda on my own

I have already decided to start at Se Cathedral and head to the Douro River and stroll along the waterfront. Why miss something so historic and colorful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I only found the Senda Litoral on the Luis Freixo maps. The Coastal route sometimes overlaps the Senda and sometimes goes further inland. I walked before Grayland and found that the Coastal route had painted arrows, but I was on my own when I decided to follow the Senda. It wasn't much of an issue.

Shoot, I just saw you both last weekend! We could have talked about it then...although I'm not sure why she would trust me any more than you.

The Blog of Luis Freixo www.caminador.es has all the Portuguese Caminos (and their variations) not just the Senda Litoral in all formats so is the most complete resource that exists on all the Portuguese Ways. In fact Luis keeps adding regularly updates and is even discovering new ways to Santiago from Portugal. Keep an eye on an update soon about a new Camino which enters Galicia at Arbo & goes over the mountains via Covelo last via Mariana....simply breathtaking !!

Last edited:
I have recently discovered a site that gives a blow by blow description of where to turn etc along great the Senda de litoral.

kellyscamino.com

It is in 2 parts

Buenos Camino

I arrive in Porto May 22nd and am doing the Senda on my own

Hi Rina, I was wondering how your Camino went? I will be walking the Senda, also on my own starting on 16 August 2017. I am both excited and a bit anxious. Any input would be most welcome :)
Regards
Jane

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved the Senda de Litoral. The long stretches of Atlantic coastline are spectacular. The communities are lovely and food and drink wonderful.

Kelly's instructions maybe the best although I used someone else's and had a few puzzled moments because couldn't make heads or tails of where or what as there were not any visuals that I could make sense of plus there wasnt always good signage on roads to indicate where one was. I believe I might have made a few new pathways on my camino as I just kept heading north with the Atlantic Ocean on my left that being said I never felt out of my comfort zone as I plugged along on my own. I pre booked all my hostels and hotels as I didn't want the added challenge of finding something at the end of a tiring day in a strange city.

There were days were it seemed the distance was far further than stated or I had figured but again a taxi would appear just when needed to help me finish the last few kilometres. What I didn't expect and one can't train for was the difficult hard surfaces to walk on, the worst being the uneven cobblestones, they are brutal on the feet! All in all if I ever get an opportunity to do it again I would...slower and with more time spent in some of the town's to sightsee. At the end of the day I was too tired and too sore to do anything more than find a place to eat have a drink then go back to my room to sleep
Buen Camino. Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi Rina, I was wondering how your Camino went? I will be walking the Senda, also on my own starting on 16 August 2017. I am both excited and a bit anxious. Any input would be most welcome :)
Regards
Jane
Hola Jane

There are recent reports of the Seaside Route being very busy. Plan your accommodation well! And let us know how you get on.

Buen Camino

John

Hola Jane

There are recent reports of the Seaside Route being very busy. Plan your accommodation well! And let us know how you get on.

Buen Camino

John

Hi John

Thank you for the heads up....and seeing as I have your book :) :) I will be following the correct paths and will have all the details for places to stay. I think I will walk and see how busy the Seaside Route is, and then book accommodation if I am feeling stressed. Truth be told, I would rather walk in Faith of a bed at the end of each day, but will see when I am there.
Your guide is fantastic, lovely details and information - thank you.

Jane

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved the Senda de Litoral. The long stretches of Atlantic coastline are spectacular. The communities are lovely and food and drink wonderful.

Kelly's instructions maybe the best although I used someone else's and had a few puzzled moments because couldn't make heads or tails of where or what as there were not any visuals that I could make sense of plus there wasnt always good signage on roads to indicate where one was. I believe I might have made a few new pathways on my camino as I just kept heading north with the Atlantic Ocean on my left that being said I never felt out of my comfort zone as I plugged along on my own. I pre booked all my hostels and hotels as I didn't want the added challenge of finding something at the end of a tiring day in a strange city.

There were days were it seemed the distance was far further than stated or I had figured but again a taxi would appear just when needed to help me finish the last few kilometres. What I didn't expect and one can't train for was the difficult hard surfaces to walk on, the worst being the uneven cobblestones, they are brutal on the feet! All in all if I ever get an opportunity to do it again I would...slower and with more time spent in some of the town's to sightsee. At the end of the day I was too tired and too sore to do anything more than find a place to eat have a drink then go back to my room to sleep
Buen Camino. Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi Rina,

I am sooo excited for my Camino next week. I will be sure to look out for the new pathways you created :)
I have Johnnie Walker's guide on the Seashore Route which has wonderful information and detail so am sure I will be fine.
Did you pre-book your accommodation before you started or as you went along each day?

Regards
Jane

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have to say, Luis Freixos maps are a great resource.

But may I also suggest using them in conjunction with maps.me and download the tracks created by Thomas on this site.

He covers nearly all the Spanish and Portuguese routes.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rly-all-portuguese-caminos-in-one-file.42296/

Once his maps are downloaded to maps.me, you can personalize and add you own info, bookings etc.

Maps.me also is of benefit when your misplaced as it works by GPS.
You might never have the joy of being totally lost ever again!

Hope you find it as useful as we have.
Sheena

Regards
Jane
HI
I loved my Camino. I was on my own and 66 years young. I pre-cooked all my accommodations before I left Canada just to elevate any added stress. The Atlantic coast is beautiful and the towns along the way so lovely. It was a huge accomplishment and one that will forever be a big memory for me. My husband did his CAMINO in 2014 from SJPP to Santiago. We now would like to do some walking together, possibly the Portuguese Camino and maybe to Muxia. I had no problem with only speaking English and found that big smiles hand gestures and trying a few words held me in good stead with the locals. I wrote all my addresses for hostels and hotels down on paper so if I needed help or to catch transportation all I needed to do was show said location... It worked great.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back