• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live and kicking on the Norte

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Thought I'd report in to the forum as we have wifi here and I'm comfortably stretched out on a bed with a cup of tea....(I'm with Sil on the absolute necessity of a thermoplongeur mug water heater)
We are in Portugalete almost out of the Basque country. As novice walking pilgrims we have discovered just how easily blisters form (Bridget) and knees start protesting at downhills (Peter). But we are taking it easy and the feet are improving.
We have worked out a way of managing the long stage from Portugalete to Castro Urdiales (the albergue in Pobena opens in May), we walked as far as Pobena today in sunshine enjoying wild flowers beside a purpose made cycle/walking path and across the beach at La Arena, then got a bus back to Portugalete to stay in the same place again. Tomorrow morning we'll get the bus back and walk on to Castro. So today we could leave most of our luggage behind.
As usual we have quickly become pilgrims with a focus very little except 'where next' and 'where's food', and can't believe that this time last week we were still at home.
Haven't needed the sleeping bags yet, hope we do at some point or they'll be a waste of weight!
I'm managing to out something on our blog most days.
More soon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Bridget and Peter, Portugalette is a lovely town - the escalators out of town are an intriguing concept, and the walk across the top of the transporter bridge is well worth the effort. I hope you enjoy the stunning scenery that you will find along the way from here. Castro Urdiales is a beautiful little town, although when I was there I was unable to look in the church because there was a crisis of some kind taking place inside. Buen Camino, Janet

Hi Bridget & Peter

Don't know how to comment on your blog but am enjoying reading of your progress. Hope the blisters and the knees calm down and you can enjoy the rest of your walk. Cheers Rose Louise

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We are now in Santander, having a rest day as one of my blisters is reacting to some road walking and anyway we said we would have some breaks. Although I have got some blisters, none of them have broken or rubbed raw or anything like that. Prompt action with compeed (only suitable on certain places, and edges need further protection to stop it ruining one's expensive inner socks) and the thread thing on my little toe has stopped real camino stopping damage occuring. Peter's knees have stopped grumbling. I am using the bus station wifi whike Peter investigates locker potential, because although we kept our pack weights well below the ten per cent msrk there are things that we have not needed which could be left here in Santander until we return for the ferry home next week.
See our blog for info about the ferries, Laredo to Santona and Somo to Santander. The most important thing is that you should turn LEFT in reaching the ses front in Somo and go to the square shelter thing that loojs a little like a bandstsnd and is the waiting room for the ferry which comes up the channel beside the road causeway to Pobena. Should you WANT to walk a km or so over the dunes or beach it's worth knowing that the boat only calls at the beach in summer months. There is a handy bar nearby too.
The coastal walking is so beautiful, cliffs with sandy bays, wild rocky crags with soaring birds, maybe eagles?, vultures were mentioned on one information board. The wild flowers are SPECTACULAR, I am up to over 50 varieties at least, and thats just the ones I can stab a guess at the names of. Inland lush green pastures with rolling roads past interesting farmhouses and dogs tnat bark but don't threaten and so many friendly folk. It's great.

Bridget and Peter,

Keep the updates coming. There will be many folks behind you that will benefit from your "on the Way" comments and observations.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.