• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live… average daily cost

debbie r

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2019)
I see lots of people asking re cost…. My hubby and I have just done 18 days Santo Domingo to Astorga. Using dorm beds and a mix of Peregrinos Menu / self catering, stopping for coffee a couple of times a day and generally but not always taking our own breakfast/lunch .. we have averaged out at €25 a day excluding getting to and from Camino. Less than I was expecting…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I see lots of people asking re cost…. My hubby and I have just done 18 days Santo Domingo to Astorga. Using dorm beds and a mix of Peregrinos Menu / self catering, stopping for coffee a couple of times a day and generally but not always taking our own breakfast/lunch .. we have averaged out at €25 a day excluding getting to and from Camino. Less than I was expecting…
Each, I assume? That’s good going.

That's very good, in fact quite amazingly economical, I'd say. Last year I managed a few €40 - 50 days; one albergue was about €22 for dinner & bed. It would be interesting to read how others have managed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank your for the information. Reassuring for those who want to walk but are on a low budget!

Cooking your own dinner and preparing/carrying your own breakfast/lunch really helps to keep cost low, as does using albergues (especially cheaper municipals and parroquials).

Even if it's not possible to do that every day, it still helps if you choose those cheaper options when possible, at least from time to time.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I see from one of your earlier posts that you averaged €17 a day on your Camino Francés in 2019. So I guess that these are the benchmarks for comparison of average daily cost:

Spring 2019: €17
Spring 2023: €25

That’s a 47% increase … 😶

In 2019 I had daily expenses of 23€ in average. Excluding transportation.
I didn't expected that 25€ is possible in 2023.
I guess we are quite frugal - on my own I did €15 in 2019… mostly self catering. As someone said above menu and bed somewhere around €21-23 but obviously if you cook up some pasta and veggies much less.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess we are quite frugal - on my own I did €15 in 2019… mostly self catering. As someone said above menu and bed somewhere around €21-23 but obviously if you cook up some pasta and veggies much less.
Did go for the Menu de peregrino on 75% of my walking days. Other days selfcatering or fruits from the supermercados. Almost every time it was excellent value for the money.
The most expensive day was the day before my flight home in Porto, where I met most of my camino-family and we ate Dinner at Sandeman's (40+€).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been walking StJdP - Arzua the past 35 days, Camino Frances to Leon, San Salvador Leon-Oviedo and the Primitivo from there.

Private albergues have been between 12€ and 20€ for the bed (municipals and church albergues between 7€ and 14€). Dinner menu Peregrino has been 12€-17€. So including a few Tinto de Verano and Cervezas and Cafes con Leche and sometimes desayuno, I am averaging around 40€ per day.

However, that is not much for what I get for that cost. The albergues and cafes and restaurants have to earn and survive, having been severely hit 2020-2022.

On my first Camino Frances in 2016, the same as above cost me an average of about 28€ per day. So an increase of around 40%.

However inflation in Europe the past 7 years has been around the same mark.

i went to one in Santiago, acona , in my hiking boots. the meal was 10 courses for 44€ but the wine cost almost the same. just get house wine...but it was delicious on my 68th birthday, 15 May, and straight after 7pm mass in the cathedral, where the Botufumeiro was unexpectedly swung. Talk about blessings. But yes, cost equivalent of 6 pilgrim meals...a blow out
I went to a Michelin recommend restaurant in Logrono a few days ago. That put me a little over budget for that

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
i went to one in Santiago, acona , in my hiking boots. the meal was 10 courses for 44€ but the wine cost almost the same. just get house wine...but it was delicious on my 68th birthday, 15 May, and straight after 7pm mass in the cathedral, where the Botufumeiro was unexpectedly swung. Talk about blessings. But yes, cost equivalent of 6 pilgrim meals...a blow out
Was in Lume (1 star) just a few days later! Exceptional... 2 of us with the full 7 courses each and we shared the wine pairings for each (else we'd have been under the table!). Came to less than an ordinary meal out at a medium reasonable gastro-pub at home.
Meant to post about how grateful I am that Ivar made a video highlighting the market and Chef Lucia Frietas. THANK YOU @ivar (also... spouse saw you walking your little boy to school so we know you are *real*! ...and left you to your peace).
Indeed, we took 6 full days in SdC this trip... a combination of Seminario Menor and Martin Pinario... and we went to as many museums as we could (the museum of Pilgrimage was outstanding, and I remain a fan of the Martin Pinario museum too), to an Irish music night in a pub I hadn't realised even existed, were blessed with a vow renewal by Fr. Manny in the chapel, had the Pilgrim Lunch (which felt like the feast at Canna)....
All of this and returned home with money in my pocket and a large chunk of my budget unspent.
BTW, there is now a pension between Salceda and O Pino, run by a Spanish woman and her son who returned to Spain from the US during COV. Fantastic lodgings, great supper and breakfast... Very economical if you have a friend to share and quite reasonable if you just need a rest on your own. We broke up the Arzua to SdC stage into two nights instead of just making a run for it (beds, beds... you know the drill), and so found this lovely pension: Mar de Friesa.

Thank your for the information. Reassuring for those who want to walk but are on a low budget!

Cooking your own dinner and preparing/carrying your own breakfast/lunch really helps to keep cost low, as does using albergues (especially cheaper municipals and parroquials).

Even if it's not possible to do that every day, it still helps if you choose those cheaper options when possible, at least from time to time.

Buen Camino!
Please, when mentioning Donativo Albergues, they should not be considered a “cheap” alternative! The generous donations they receive help keep this ancient tradition alive!

Please, when mentioning Donativo Albergues, they should not be considered a “cheap” alternative! The generous donations they receive help keep this ancient tradition alive!
Couldn’t agree more- always spend more on donativo days to show gratitude for generosity and hopefully to make up a bit for those who cannot afford or chose not to be generous back…

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The minimum amount for a bed is between 8-10 euro’s otherwise they can’t pay the bill for electricity, water etc. 😊

I didn't say anything about donativos, but "cheaper municipals and parroquials". Many of those charge a fixed fee, just like a private albergue, but usually cheaper, and often those come with a kitchen (or at least microwave) instead of a restaurant (or fixed price version of a "communal dinner" that some private albergues offer) which also helps to keep cost down.

There are some municipal/ parroquial donativos also, that's true, and of course donations are important for those.

With a 25-30€ daily budget that's still a good option I'd say. Or are 20-25€ donation for bed, dinner and breakfast (as the mentioned budget in this thread) considered not enough donation nowadays?

Last edited:
In 2019 I averaged just under 20 euros a day staying in albergues mostly self catering with some pilgrim meals.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.