• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live....but for how long?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
First adventure: having visa expire on the last day of passport validity was a problem. They weren't going to let me fly! After waiting quietly and patiently while the managing guy made enquiries I decided to politely argue my case! Law requires three month’s validity which I have. That October has 31 days (when I leave Spain) and January only has 30 (when passport expires) does not change that it’s three months! Thankfully they have overridden the system and I'm flying. Had to promise I have funds for a return ticket if Madrid denies entry!!! Hopefully that won’t happen, but I won’t be totally relaxed until I get through customs at the other end!
I was going to be forum-free from the time I left home....but I had to share this @davebugg type final panic!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
:eek::eek::eek:
Wow.
That feeling in the pit of your stomach...now I have it.;)
May have a very safe and easy journey, and breeze through immigration in Madrid, Rachel...
I hope we do not hear from you until you've completed a muy buen camino!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow... there’s always that unexpected something out of left field!
We’ll all be waiting to see that you’re on the ground in Spain

I have no doubt Rachel, that ‘you shall overcome!’

Buen Camino
Annie

Hi Kiwi Family
Last minute hassles like this are definitely not fun. However, when something like this happens and you get through it somehow the delights and appreciation of your trip are even greater. I sincerely hope this is your experience. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You shouldn’t need a visa, on a no passport you get 90 day entry to schengen

A week before my first Camino. I managed to wash and destroy my passport in the washing machine. A week of extreme stress, anxiety and rushing around followed. I was told 10 days for a new passport but received in after 6 - the day before I was due to fly :)

I feel your pain...

I always apply for a new passport well in advance of the expiry date. I simply submit my application during my "off season," from October through February. This way, I am ready to go for April.

The resulting overlapping expiry dates are a small cost to pay for stress reduction. As a retired immigration officer (for over 20 years) I well understand the vagaries of crossing international borders. I also know well the international laws regarding passport expiry, and automatic (invisible) extension courtesies abong friendly countries.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always apply for a new passport well in advance of the expiry date. I simply submit my application during my "off season," from October through February. This way, I am ready to go for April.

The resulting overlapping expiry dates are a small cost to pay for stress reduction. As a retired immigration officer (for over 20 years) I well understand the vagaries of crossing international borders. I also know well the international laws regarding passport expiry, and automatic (invisible) extension courtesies abong friendly countries.

I know in USA f your passport expires while overseas One can go to the nearest embassy and renew there. You might want to consider nearest embassy, Kiwi, if that is possible, on your journey, and renewing and possibly preventing a problem getting out of Spain.

They weren't going to let me fly!
I presume it was the airline's computer system that caused the problem? I'm confident that you will be fine, both at the Schengen entry and exit point. You appear to understand the rules! Your passport expires on 30 January 2019 but they are not going to fuss about a single day (31st of January) that's three months away from the intended day of your departure (31 October). Buen camino! :)

Last edited:
What Marbe2 was probably going to write was that the UK system has changed and new passports do not expire 10 years after the earlier passport expires, but 10 years from the date of issue of the new passport. So you could end up paying twice for up to 9 (?) months of travel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What Marbe2 was probably going to write was that the UK system has changed and new passports do not expire 10 years after the earlier passport expires, but 10 years from the date of issue of the new passport. So you could end up paying twice for up to 9 (?) months of travel.

No. What I was saying, was that there is a NZ embassy in Madrid and maybe contacting them would be helpful before trying toleave the country. Maybe they could issue another passport?

Please don't worry unduly. Leaving Schengen with a New Zealand passport that is still valid for 3 months minus 1 day, as is the case here, is not the problem. The (potential) problem is entering Schengen with a passport that is valid less than 3 months on the intended day of departure (says the law) or less than 6 months on the day of arrival (possible border control practice).

Just believe me about the latter statement. I could explain if pressed and I have Her Majesty's "Maybe there will be a Brexit without a deal but both sides are working hard on securing a negotiated outcome" Government on my side to back me up:cool:.

PS: What has Brexit got to do with a New Zealand passport you may wonder. Without any negotiated deal between the EU and the UK, UK passport holders could end up on the same list as NZ passport holders: so-called third country nationals who are entitled to short visa free stays in the EU. Ain't gonna happen, though. I think. Time to check the validity of your passports just in case!

Last edited:

Hope this helps.
Some countries require six months remaining time on a passport for entry, so I set a reminder on my iPhone for nine months before passport expiration to renew the passport. I agree, it makes no sense to cut it close.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kiwi-family, my prayer today is that we don't hear from you on this forum until you are on your way home after walking (unless of course it's a note to tell us that you cleared through Spain).

Another twelve hours and I’ll know.
Travel agent assured me it was certainly cutting it fine but still legal so I went ahead. Next time will do it differently!!! Just as my father-in-law said I should have;-)

Oh I’m a plonker - I was thinking January HAD 30 DAYS. I deserve TO BE SENT HOME BUT HOPE FOR GRACE. OOPS sorry about caps - flight is boarding

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am well aware of the six-month rule on application for admission. But, in practice, there are (invisible) automatic revalidation bilateral agreements in effect between most first-world countries to cover these paper-thin exception cases, as well as the well established use of professional discretion (optional by the officer in front of you or their superior) in border-line caes.

Realistically, and if I were the officer in the booth, one only has to look at the rest of the passport in and out stamps to know that Kiwi follows all the laws and always departs on time.;)

I hate drama... That is why I apply early enough to always arrive at my destination with a new passport. Knowing what I do, I would never cut it so close.

That said, I am enjoying this drama play out and am thrilled that Kiwi was admitted to Spain. Personally, I eschew drama in my life...

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@t2andreo this was a genuine mistake on my part. The travel agent looked at our passports and said “Yours expires on the last day of January and you want to leave on the last day of October - that’s cutting it fine but within the letter of the law. (Kiwis only need 3 months on their passport after they plan to leave)
What she - and I and my husband and father-in-law and kids all failed to see was that January 30 is not the last day! We even checked it a dozen times!!
Never again.

@t2andreo this was a genuine mistake on my part. The travel agent looked at our passports and said “Yours expires on the last day of January and you want to leave on the last day of October - that’s cutting it fine but within the letter of the law. (Kiwis only need 3 months on their passport after they plan to leave)
What she - and I and my husband and father-in-law and kids all failed to see was that January 30 is not the last day! We even checked it a dozen times!!
Never again.
Good that everything is/will be OK.
For checking the days of the month you don't even need a computer or a calendar. You make fists, put them together linear and count knuckles from either side. Knuckles have 31 days and those between knuckles have 30 (or less in case of february) :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m here. The story will be on my blog in a few hours!
Seven pilgrims at the mass today so it looks like the Madrid is about to experience its first bed race!!

Phew!!! Very relieved to hear you made it! We've had fingers crossed here, so this is excellent news to wake up to!!

Buen Camino!

First adventure: having visa expire on the last day of passport validity was a problem. They weren't going to let me fly! After waiting quietly and patiently while the managing guy made enquiries I decided to politely argue my case! Law requires three month’s validity which I have. That October has 31 days (when I leave Spain) and January only has 30 (when passport expires) does not change that it’s three months! Thankfully they have overridden the system and I'm flying. Had to promise I have funds for a return ticket if Madrid denies entry!!! Hopefully that won’t happen, but I won’t be totally relaxed until I get through customs at the other end!
I was going to be forum-free from the time I left home....but I had to share this @davebugg type final panic!!!
Not sure of timing or rules in Kiwi Land but here in Canada, if I have a plane ticket in hand and there is a question of whether my passport will be valid at the end of my journey, I can get it updated usually within 24 hours, removing all concerns over passport validity on your trip.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.