• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Burgos - help/advice needed

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
My wife and I started from SJPP May 27 and have had a difficult time. Specifically blisters have slowed us down and on approach to Burgos her shins started hurting to the point that we went to the hospital. No stress fractures - Hoorray.
They diagnosed her with tendonitis however and recommended 3-5 days off her feet.

We built a little flex in our plans but not that many. From Burgos to Santiago I estimate we will need to drop 2 days from the Camino and that is only if nothing else delays us (not likely, in sure).

Suggestions about which stretches to drop would be appreciated with the caveat that it would have to be somewhere with bus service or equiv.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Treatment of tendon injuries is largely conservative. Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), rest, and gradual return to exercise is a common therapy. Resting assists in the prevention of further damage to the tendon. Ice, compression and elevation are also frequently recommended. Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, orthotics or braces may also be useful. Initial recovery is typically within 2 to 3 days and full recovery is within 4 to 6 weeks.[3] Tendinosis occurs as the acute phase of healing has ended (6–8 weeks) but has left the area insufficiently healed; Treatment of tendinitis helps reduce some of the risks of developing tendinosis, which takes longer to heal. Wikipedia

So you see ... 2-3 days off her feet doesn't mean the problem is solved. I would suggest massive rethink of your plans.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a bus from Burgos to Leon ....
It is said that it could save 5 days ... however, because of her tendonitis ... you'll really need some extra time built in and that means you could save 2 or 3 days and use the other time savings as a way to take things slower ....

Also the Catrojeriz portion is very steep and that would aggravate her tendon ...
if you skip to Leon - you'd pass by that section :)

Hi, Dowty,
I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's tendonitis. I agree completely with the advice posted by whariwharangi, especially the elevation, rest and ice. It may take longer than you hope. One option, though I of course don't know how you would feel about this, would be for your wife to bus ahead and wait a few days for you to catch up. For instance, she could bus to Castrojeriz, or Fromista, or Carrion de los Condes and you could walk those days and meet her there and see how she is doing. That way you could avoid the "massive rescheduling" because your wife may be lucky or unlucky with this injury, who knows. I have seen people who had bad tendonitis who were able to pick up again after 4 or 5 days rest and others who couldn't.

If you did try that, I think you'd both want to get cheap Spanish cell phones in Burgos so you can easily communicate. Usually for about 30 euros each you can get a basic cell phone with about 25 euros calling time on it. That would keep you in contact more easily and cheaply than many other options.

I have had tendonitis before, so I know it's not fun. Since one episode when I had to stop walking, I have done two things -- one was get silicone orthotics, not sure if orthotics are a part of your wife's foot routine or not, but silicone is so much more gentle on the body than hard plastic. The other is to do what I call "preventive icing". I always carry a plastic bag folded up in my fanny pack. When I arrive at my destination, I have a drink at a bar/cafe and ask the owner to put some ice cubes in the bag. 15-20 minutes icing the shins at a pop is about all they recommend. Knock on wood, this has worked so far for me!

Best of luck to you, let us know what you decide. Buen camino, Laurie

Take several days in Burgos. Go to the bus station and take a two day trip to Santo Dominogo de Silos. The bus leaves Burgos in the evening, and returns fairly early the next day, so you need two nights to see the vespers sung and the cloisters. The rest will do you good, and you will love the town and the monastery. This place was nice and the price reasonable. http://www.hoteltrescoronasdesilos.com/es/santodomingodesilos/index.asp

There are less expensive places. The hostal part of this place is less: http://www.hotelsantodomingodesilos.com/index.php

When you get back to Burgos, decide how far to take a bus. If you go all the way to Leon, you can rest there another couple of days. The Parador hotel is worth the extra money. Do not start out too soon with tendonitis. It does not get better with use, like a sore muscle can.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd suggest take the 5 days in Burgos ... then go to Sarria and try to limit walking to 10km per day. And if that is too much ... abandon the attempt for another day.

Train to Leon from Burgos is also an option, depending on your cost allowances. The train station is not conveniently located downtown like the bus station is, but is quicker. You could spend a few days resting in both... Leon is a beautiful city and found found it had a really nice feel. When we walked in 2012, we knew we wouldn't have time to walk it all, so we took the train to Leon for a couple of days, then caught the bus to Villafranca del Bierzo where we started walking again.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems...be sure to stay well hydrated too...you may have to cut back on the distance you are traveling in a day as well. All things I'm sure you have been told...but you do need to heed what your wife's body is telling her :)

Don't consider moving ahead a failure, only a deviation...nothing should be set in stone.

Marilyn
Sent using the Camino de Santiago Forum App

It is a huge disappointment when you suffer an injury. It happened to me. I bussed sort stretches hoping I would get better. Then I panicked. I decided If I only did short bus to stay with friends I may not finish. I bussed to Leon. There is a physical therapist there named David. He is right next to the farmacia as you walk into the city center. He helped me so much. He has been there 20 years and is very knowledgeable. He has a sandwich board on the side walk. I did finish from Astorga on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! Sorry to hear things are not going smoothly. I do think the fact that you're in Burgos gives you the 'nuclear option' of a total rethink. Burgos is often used as a staging post for pilgrims whose time constraints mean they can't do the Camino in one go. You could decide now that you wanted to do all the rest of the Camino Frances another time.

So what to do with the rest of the time on this trip? You could skip right to the end (taking in a few places along the way while you recover) and then do the last stages of the Portuguese Camino, for example. If the walking was going well, you could go on to Finisterre. If you'd had enough you could stay in Santiago. The point is you'd be on the busiest part of the routes, so distance and accommodation options should be reasonably plentiful.

Buen Camino, whatever you decide.

They diagnosed her with tendonitis however and recommended 3-5 days off her feet.

We built a little flex in our plans but not that many. From Burgos to Santiago I estimate we will need to drop 2 days from the Camino and that is only if nothing else delays us (not likely, in sure).

Suggestions about which stretches to drop would be appreciated with the caveat that it would have to be somewhere with bus service or equiv.

So sorry to hear this. I agree with the other posters; tendonitis is a real show stopper. It seems like St James has other plans for you this time. Of course you could walk on alone if that seems right, possibly with your wife leap frogging ahead in buses. But not very satisfactory for her (although you could read posts by Sillydoll who is currently doing this due to a broken arm).

Short story - a couple I met (brother and sister) had walked from Le Puy and got as far as Mansilla when he had to stop because of tendonitis. She waited a few days then walked on without him. I think it was about Pontferada that she misplaced a foot while reading a map, fell and broke her ankle. Hmmmm.

The Camino has been there for a thousand years. It ain't going anywhere. If it were me I'd come back another year when I had worked how how and why the tendonitis happened and how to prevent a recurrence.

In the meantime, as well as considering the Camino, think about all the wonderful options Spain has to offer. It depends a lot on your financial position but buses and trains are cheap and so is accommodation if you look, especially if you hole up in a smaller place - there are some lovely fishing villages that will give you a real taste of Spanish life. If money is not an issue consider hiring a car.

And I will all be thinking of you both and sending warm currents of good wishes your way.

I agree with Kanga. Shin splints and tendonitis can cause long-lasting damage if don't address them completely. My wife had tendonitis and the physical therapist found that she wasn't walking correctly and letting all of her toes plant themselves. Solve the problem and pick up where you left off NOW!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I started from SJPP May 27 and have had a difficult time. Specifically blisters have slowed us down and on approach to Burgos her shins started hurting to the point that we went to the hospital. No stress fractures - Hoorray.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through - similar scenario happened to me. This may or may not help, but it did help me. Michelle, at an albergue in Rabe put green clay on my leg and wrapped it in Saran wrap. Told me to use it for about three days after I got done walking (I was trying to walk short distances, then bus to make up time, etc). I was sceptical, but willing to try anything after a trip to the hospital in Logrono for xrays on my leg that had shin splints and was turning purple. Anyway, it worked, reducing the swelling considerably. You can get it in any farmacia as a powder, then mix it with water to form a paste. I believe it is actually calcium montmorillonite, but is known as green clay. Out of curiosity I've done quite a bit of research on it after coming home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh that is such good news - well done. Hope you enjoy the coast.

Yes Allison is fine. We both still get blisters (a surprise, but they are no longer problematic. We just deal with them).

Here's how the story went....

We were in Burgos and had planned a min 3 day rest. At the end of day 2 we decided to walk into town for dinner. Allison couldn't walk 5 minutes without significant pain. It was so depressing.

After much thought and prayer we decided to pack it in and head home. The next morning we packed our bags and checked out of the hotel we'd stayed at.

Since the train didn't depart until evening we just sat on a park bench in silence and watched the world go by. We watched as the other pilgrims entered and left the city and we were somehow detached from it all.

We hadn't visited the inside of the cathedral yet so we decided to do that to pass the time. So beautiful.

After the tour Allison and I sat again , her ankles starting to really hurt again. After another period of silence she said... Let's give it one more day.

We checked into a different hotel and passed the night. In the morning we decided we'd walk 30min and then evaluate. We could always turn back. 30 min passed and we decided to consider again at 1hr.

Needlesstosay, it was difficult and slow. We walked an hour and stopped, walked and iced as often as we could. By the end of the day we'd walked ~20km.

Each day we did the same. After 4 days we no longer had to stop as often. After a week, I was asking her to slow down.

Prior to the experience, every delay was a slight irritant to me, afterwards they became the key to having one more day on Camino.

In the end we bussed 2-1/2 days of the Maseta which put us (accidentally) in Sahagun on the bull fighting day and in Leon 1-1/2 days ahead of what I'd envisioned.

The rest of the trip remained tough but we made it and even did a crazy 50+ (30 mile) "sprint" into Santiago and celebrated with a stay at the Parador.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please see Tom Hill's excellent First Aid Guide to the Camino on this forum for prevention of and care for blisters and shin splints. RICE then change mode of walking downhill, even walking backward! Buen camino!

Heading westward on the norte

Whari. I'm amazed as well. We just finished the tough 34km day toward Finesterra.

As far as our basic trip goes. The best day awaited us at LaFaba. I highly recommend staying here either at the German run albergue or the donativo Refugio, but regardless have dinner at the Refugio. They serve a vegetarian organic dinner that is AWESOME. We are vegetarians but during Camino who doesn't crave some veggies.
The two young folks that run the Refugio have such amazing joy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes Allison is fine. We both still get blisters (a surprise, but they are no longer problematic. We just deal with them).

Here's how the story went....

We were in Burgos and had planned a min 3 day rest. At the end of day 2 we decided to walk into town for dinner. Allison couldn't walk 5 minutes without significant pain. It was so depressing.

After much thought and prayer we decided to pack it in and head home. The next morning we packed our bags and checked out of the hotel we'd stayed at.

Since the train didn't depart until evening we just sat on a park bench in silence and watched the world go by. We watched as the other pilgrims entered and left the city and we were somehow detached from it all.

We hadn't visited the inside of the cathedral yet so we decided to do that to pass the time. So beautiful.

After the tour Allison and I sat again , her ankles starting to really hurt again. After another period of silence she said... Let's give it one more day.

We checked into a different hotel and passed the night. In the morning we decided we'd walk 30min and then evaluate. We could always turn back. 30 min passed and we decided to consider again at 1hr.

Needlesstosay, it was difficult and slow. We walked an hour and stopped, walked and iced as often as we could. By the end of the day we'd walked ~20km.

Each day we did the same. After 4 days we no longer had to stop as often. After a week, I was asking her to slow down.

Prior to the experience, every delay was a slight irritant to me, afterwards they became the key to having one more day on Camino.

In the end we bussed 2-1/2 days of the Maseta which put us (accidentally) in Sahagun on the bull fighting day and in Leon 1-1/2 days ahead of what I'd envisioned.

The rest of the trip remained tough but we made it and even did a crazy 50+ (30 mile) "sprint" into Santiago and celebrated with a stay at the Parador.
The key word I noticed was "prayer". That and solitude unlock a lot of life's mysteries.
Pace e bene,
Indy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And finally, nor does good advice from friends and strangers. I was tempted to go on and have Allison take a bus for me to meet her, but for us that was not the right decision.
The caution and care provided by family and friends at home and on this site helped make it easier to know what to do.

Whari. I'm amazed as well. We just finished the tough 34km day toward Finesterra.

As far as our basic trip goes. The best day awaited us at LaFaba. I highly recommend staying here either at the German run albergue or the donativo Refugio, but regardless have dinner at the Refugio. They serve a vegetarian organic dinner that is AWESOME. We are vegetarians but during Camino who doesn't crave some veggies.
The two young folks that run the Refugio have such amazing joy.
I would LOVE to hear about recommendations for vegetarians on route! I'm practicing how to say "Does that have meat in it?" as I imagine Spanish food is heavy on the meat. Thanks!! Glad you made it!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would LOVE to hear about recommendations for vegetarians on route! I'm practicing how to say "Does that have meat in it?" as I imagine Spanish food is heavy on the meat. Thanks!! Glad you made it!
I remember reading on the forum that Burgos has a fantastic vegetarians restaurant check it out if you can find it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember reading on the forum that Burgos has a fantastic vegetarians restaurant check it out if you can find it.
Thanks there's a whole section in the forum on vegetarian options - certainly not a lack of suggestions or information - just how to retain it all now ha!

Hi, just a quick note to say I also had the same problem with my leg/tendon and was diagnosed this by the doctor and hospital in Burgos who insisted 10days rest. It really was painful and crippling to the point of a slow limp so I decided to come home to the uk for 10days, via Santander. The only way to get better and not cause further damage is rest!!
I'm about to return to finish my camino but this time with walking poles. Can I ask , did your wife use these?

Also, I would recommend painkillers to reduce inflammation and reduce pain. I left this a bit late and kept walking on my bad leg which ultimately made it worse. I do sympathise. It's very hard to accept, when you want to continue.

Well I almost don't want to respond here. From what I've learned about tendonitis, it is a VERY vague diagnosis. It only means the area around your tendons have swolen and are causing pain.

This can be caused by 1000 things. Rest is the answer but everything for your pack weight to your physical shape and your own body govern how you will respond.

My wife used a pole both before and after. I took a lot of her pack weight after and also donated my pole. I'm not sure how much of that actually helped but it was all I could do as a husband.

She managed the pain with frequent ice and elevation that decreased with time. We also took more vitamin I (ibuprofen) than I'd like (but no more than 3 600mg tablets a day - as advised).

I think Allison's advice would be "listen to your body". Rest before it gets too bad and not after. Take it slowly and elevate and ice often. As you get stronger back off but be careful not to over do it. Your body is basically saying "that's enough". If you ignore it it will only yell louder until you are forced to listen.

All of this said. I think we all tend to ignore the signs until it is too late. I know I do. Just try to be sensitive to what is going on inside and ignore those on the way that are able to do more with no side effects. It is their blessing and not your curse.

Re vegetarian:
On the Frances we saw maybe 4 or 5 opportunities for vegetarian. We aren't vegetarians soluble our eyes aren't tuned, but that is my story. I would note that vegetarian to you may be different than vegetarian to your host. One night we had a vegetarian soup that had only "a little chorizo" in it. It was "mostly vegetables". This didn't matter at all to us, but may to some others.

If anyone is interested in our whole story I blogged it at dowtycamino.tumblr.com.

I heard rave reviews about Albergue Verde, http://www.albergueverde.es/, in Hospital de Orbigo. I think it opened in the last year or to and advertises itself as ecological, can't say about the vegetarian.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so happy for you. I started in SJPD may 25th and exited in Najera 12 days later after getting severe blisters , plantar fasciitis in one foot and a really bad sprain in the other. I hobbled from logrono to Nahera over three days but just couldn't walk any more. It has taken me until now to finally walk mostly pain free so I guess walking on really wasn't an option for me. I do feel sad now as I read if those I had started with reaching Santiago and FinisTerra.

This may be a little too philosophical and possibly appear insensitive to the maladies which many peregrinos seem to acquire along the way. The suggestion that one should listen to their body is certainly the first warning sign of trouble. I would like to suggest there is a further step: Listen to the Camino! I have a feeling that a great many of us start off with great intentions of our own. However admirable and conscientious those may be, as Kanga posted, "It seems like St James has other plans for you . ." When you're sorting through the anxiety and inconvenience, not to mention the pain and immobility, I'm convinced that "voice" may be either difficult or perhaps impossible to hear. I believe however that it's almost an essential part of your Camino experience, regardless of your personal purpose or goal, and looking beyond the exuberance and excitement of starting out you need to make it a part of what you "carry in your pack". It might just be more important than your choice of socks!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back