• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Camino del Norte: Oviedo

CalBeachGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
June/ July 2014
In Ribadesella we decided that going this far and not visiting Oviedo would be something we'd always regret. Not sure we'd have the time for the trek, we decided to take the train to Oviedo for a day and go back to resume our walking along the Camino del Norte.

While we struggled with the idea of NOT walking, we are now settled with the idea that the pilgrimage is really what you want it to be. Taking a train does not make you less of a pilgrim. And we are so very happy we made the decision!! Visiting the incredible Cathedral, UNESCO sites, Old Town, seeing so many important works, churches, ruins, remains and, more importantly, the Holy Shroud of Jesus and the cross the He carried and died upon made the journey one I will never forget.

We put on over 20 km walking all over the city and up to Naranca to visit the churches built in 400AD and the mountaintop sculpture of Jesus.

We will resume our Camino where we left off and would not have done it any other way. Oviedo is an incredible town with much to offer and the perfect supplement to my journey. I encourage others to take the time to visit as you may never pass this way again.

¡Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Ribadesella we decided that going this far and not visiting Oviedo would be something we'd always regret. Not sure we'd have the time for the trek, we decided to take the train to Oviedo for a day and go back to resume our walking along the Camino del Norte.

While we struggled with the idea of NOT walking, we are now settled with the idea that the pilgrimage is really what you want it to be. Taking a train does not make you less of a pilgrim. And we are so very happy we made the decision!! Visiting the incredible Cathedral, UNESCO sites, Old Town, seeing so many important works, churches, ruins, remains and, more importantly, the Holy Shroud of Jesus and the cross the He carried and died upon made the journey one I will never forget.

We put on over 20 km walking all over the city and up to Naranca to visit the churches built in 400AD and the mountaintop sculpture of Jesus.

We will resume our Camino where we left off and would not have done it any other way. Oviedo is an incredible town with much to offer and the perfect supplement to my journey. I encourage others to take the time to visit as you may never pass this way again.

¡Buen Camino!
Well done for taking the time to see the places you are travelling through. Don't ever feel you need to struggle over these decisions as like you said it's your pilgrimage and it is what you want it to be. You are certainly no less a pilgrim for taking the train. Enjoy your camino. The Del Norte is a beautiful way. I loved every bit of that one. Soak it up because it won't be long and you will be back home.
Buen camino
Michelle

I took a side trip of Oviedo from Leon and the Camino Frances. Side trips are great! So is Oviedo. In Vicky Christina Barcelona they took a small plane to Oviedo...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just booked my hotel in Oviedo for overnight stop en route to Santander after Camino. Great to hear good review. Will keep me going on the hard days.

You'd like Lugo too . . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.