Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

LIVE from the Camino Live from Camino del Norte

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Camino France, Camino del Norte, Camino de Madrid
Camino Porto, Camino Primitivo
Hello, finally after 2 years of waiting, I will be walking the Norte. Flying into Madrid on 10/12. I will keep you posted. Please pray for me. BTY, I purchased a new app called Guthook. I like its hybrid map that gives me a 3-dimential areal views. If this map is accurate, I will never get lost. I called several of the lodgings I liked in 2019, but sadly quite a few of them were no longer in business.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
I purchased a new app called Guthook. I like its hybrid map that gives me a 3-dimential areal views. If this map is accurate, I will never get lost.

I have used Guthook in the past and have found them to always be accurate.

Mera

Past OR future Camino
We start the 17th from Irún, go get em. I’ll be on the lookout for a goat with a plurality of colors.
Oh hello, I am slow as a turtle, or more like a snail. Once I met naked snails on the Camino, and was very concerned about their wellbeing because I knew a bunch of French were on their way. I prayed very hard for those snails, whom I feel kinship to, would cross the road before the French group encountered them and viewed them as a good lunch. Anyway, because I am so slow, our paths might cross somewhere. BTY, getting a QR code from QR-SpTH was cumbersome. Entering a local address was difficult because they did not list all the autonomous region-Basque was missing. I ended up listing Oviedo instead of San Sebastian. The friendly goat wishes you a Buen Camino!

Past OR future Camino
El Norte, Octubre 2021
Oh hello, I am slow as a turtle, or more like a snail. Once I met naked snails on the Camino, and was very concerned about their wellbeing because I knew a bunch of French were on their way. I prayed very hard for those snails, whom I feel kinship to, would cross the road before the French group encountered them and viewed them as a good lunch. Anyway, because I am so slow, our paths might cross somewhere. BTY, getting a QR code from QR-SpTH was cumbersome. Entering a local address was difficult because they did not list all the autonomous region-Basque was missing. I ended up listing Oviedo instead of San Sebastian. The friendly goat wishes you a Buen Camino!
As we are 2 and I am hairy, we will be easy to espy.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Mera,
Many of us who have walked in the past are, indeed, snails !
You must be very excited now that you are setting off. Please do report on the conditions along the way.
Carpe diem and Buen camino!

Last edited:

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Mera,
Many of us who have walked in the past are, indeed, snails !
You must be very excited now that you are setting off. Please do report on the conditions along the way.
Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Thank you for your encouragement. I will post as much as I can. Although I am not really sure how to do that correctly. I am not sure if I am doing it right. I am heading out to get COVID test because vaccinated people don't need it to enter Spain but need negative test result to fly domestically. I plan on taking an ALSA at T4 terminal but wanted to have that option open.
Mera

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Mera,
Thanks for your update.
I agree it is best to be prepared. One never knows exactly what proof will be needed and when.
I hope that you were bemused/amused by the snail tale hot link above.

Margaret

PS. The snails we eat here in France are not the same as you see on pavements.

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Margaret,
Once, while walking along the river Seine, decided to order some food, escargots of course. I love them here in the States. I got greedy and ordered 2 dozens, thinking they were going to be tiny and would be in butter and cheese like how they serve in the United States. To my very big surprise, they all came in their own shells and each one was so HUGE that I could actually make out their eyes, mouth, especially two long antennas. Not wanting to lose my face, I mustered enough courage to eat them all but felt a bit queasy afterwards. Soon after returning home I started seeing them in my dreams occasionally. In my dream they were all alive, chasing after me. It was good thing that I could run a bit faster than the snails. I stopped ordering them for a while, about 2 years, but now I am completely recovered. I enjoy them occasionally.

COVID test was painless because I made a reservation yesterday. They wanted to push 30-minute-result rapid PCR test but I asked for a regular PCR-takes 24 hours to get the result on my phone. Heading out to the airport. I was somewhat apprehensive due to COVID situation; however, as it gets closer I remembered all the joy on the Camino, now I recovered my usual enthusiasm. Mera

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Arrived in Madrid around 8 am. I knew there was a bus to San Sebastian leaving around 9 am but did not buy a ticket in advance because I didn't want to worry about missing it due to a flight delay. It turned out that I had a plenty time to catch it except it was sold out. The next bus was at 1:30 pm. Instead of hanging around for 5 hours at the airport I took a taxi to Chamartin train station only to find out the best possible option was departing from Principe Pio train station. Of course I took another taxi there. It left at 12:25 pm. Just before San Sebastian, all the passingers had to get off and continue the trip by a bus due to track repairs. Took another taxi to a lodging, which was on the Camino. After a plane, taxi, train, and bus, I am on the Camino. Except it occured to me that I had not eaten anything the whole day. It just so happened that the hotel I checked in does not serve dinner Moreover, the nearest restaurant was 30-minute-walk away. I begged for anything edible. They kindly came up with some bread, butter, ham and a bottle of local wine. I asked them a glass, but they said they only sell by a bottle , honest! The bread came frozen, fresh out of a freezer but eventually thowed enough to cut through with my teeth. Whew!

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Mera

Past OR future Camino
I am up at 5 am all refreshed, no hangover.

Something like last night happened once on the CF. My daughter can stay up late but can't waka up early. I still don't know how she managed to finish her degree. She always started late and arrived late. I forget where it was but there was a place with just one bar/restaurant in town. When she finally showed up late I told her just take a shower and do the laundry later. If any of you out there think that she listened to me, you have better children than I, ones with more common sense. By the time we made it to the restaurant, everything edible was gone, not even a piece of bread was left. The bar was filled with happy and content people with full tummy now even happier with more drinking. I learned what it was like to go to bed hungry after walking 20 miles. My daughter not only learned what it was like to go to bed hungry but also realized that her mother could kill when hungry. BTY, did I mention that the COVID procedure at the Madrid airport was super simple? They just scanned my QR code, no fever check unless they were scanning some other way. Yesterday on the train there were only two people that looked like peregrinos.

This friendly drinking goat is off to start the Camino with a heart filled with joy. Hope you all have a great day. A lovely clock at the hotel.

Attachments

• 20211012_203801.jpg
    20211012_203801.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Mera,
Hope you have good weather for your first day of walking. Looking forward to reading your next posted update.
Eat well and Carpe diem.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Hello Peregrinos, as if to be compensated for last night's poor dinner, I was treated to a lovely breakfast with a view. It was simple but good quality food and excellent coffee. I usually don't find cafe con leche very good, and Cafe Americano isn't much better either but the coffee this morning was super. And the views, which was the reason for choosing this place, were just lovely.

Attachments

• 20211013_080604.jpg
    20211013_080604.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Mera

Past OR future Camino
So, having had taken a taxi last night, I took a bus back to San Sebastian old town, farther end of la Playa de la Concha, which the city is known for. I intended to visit Museo de San Telmo and San Vicente churche, then start my Camino. When I did el Norte, in 2019, I just walked through the city hurridly thinking the city was just a tourist attraction. I was much more interested in visiting the Altamira Cave. However, once I started seeing the exibits, I got into it so much that I didn't get out until the afternoon. Usually I get easily overwhelmed by museums in big cities like Paris, London, Madrid, Amsterdam etc., probably because I don't know much about fine arts. This one was different. Small enough yet interesting enough. Those who are interested in can download STM app or visit their website and digitally explore it. I could very easily understand and relate to the exibits about Basque way of life and history. Especially the exibit about Masellan's voyage: truly brave people who endured unthinkables. Compare to this Shaklton's failed expolration didn't seem so bad. At least they had penguins and fish to eat. Most advantageous of all, Shaklton's crew had unlimited supply of water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-174846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-174846_Chrome.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211013-110056_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-110056_Google Play Store.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 5

Mera

Past OR future Camino
After the museum I continued to walk all over. Do you see the Christ Statue on top of far righthand and a castle-like structure on the far left? Well if you don't see them, just Google the city please. I climed to see both, walking one end to the other. I enjoyed today's outing.

Attachments

• 20211013_123436.jpg
    20211013_123436.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211013_122431.jpg
    20211013_122431.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mera

Past OR future Camino
I got tired. I just came back to the same hotel. I wanted to check out so I can leave early tomorrow. I told them no breakfast for me tomorrow, but when I found out that 40 Euros for each night included that lovely breakfast, I changed to "yes breakfast." I figured Getaria can wait. I will get there eventually.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Mera

Past OR future Camino
My first full day of Camino: from San Sebastian to Getaria. The weather is around lower 70's, just a wonderful temperature. After walking only about 30 minutes,I could feel that my lungs were getting filled with oxgeon. Sense of wellbeing and joy of being alive were also abundantly clear. The difficult part was being re-introduced to my backpack. After neglecting it for two years, it wasn't making things easy for me. I used to just swing it to my back and then literally just pulled the right strings to get the best possible posture and the weigh distribution. This morning I struggled quite a bit to make it work. Nevertheless I am so fortunate to be able to do this. Everything else is just a minor glitch. I am sincerely thankful to my husband who is watering our plants in addition to feeding a spider who just showed up from nowhere and decided to build a web in my orchid pot. The web is usually empty as we live in a highrise. I started finding a dead gnats, which I also don't know how or why come to our condo and die, and put it in it's web.

Attachments

• 20211014_090012.jpg
    20211014_090012.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211014_100359.jpg
    20211014_100359.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211014_200620.jpg
    20211014_200620.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Mera

Past OR future Camino
My good deed of the day was opening a chesnut for local chipmunks.

Attachments

• 20211014_200642.jpg
    20211014_200642.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Mera

Past OR future Camino
BTY from my point of view,, the reasons that nobody ever try to take anything from the peregrinos are: we stink too much to come near; unstrapping a peregrino/a from his or her backpack is a near impossible task: even if the backpack is detached it is too unpleasant to go through the poorly washed stinky clothes.

Attachments

• 20211014_104522.jpg
    20211014_104522.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211014_105819.jpg
    20211014_105819.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211014_112357.jpg
    20211014_112357.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211014_200430.jpg
    20211014_200430.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 4

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Near Zaraus, just when the Camino starting to decend, across the camping ground I followed a good smell and found a delighful lunch. A first decent meal since my arrival. First they wanted to chase me away saying that they don't have a "pilgrim lunch". I had to do some serious convincing talk to pursuade them that I will order from their menu. The wonderful food came with free views.

Attachments

• 20211014_200328.jpg
    20211014_200328.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211014_144223.jpg
    20211014_144223.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Mera

Past OR future Camino
The people at the next table were having something that looked even more tastier than mine. I asked a permission to take photos. And here they are. They said I could take a bite if I wanted to. How nice!

Attachments

• 20211014_200308.jpg
    20211014_200308.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211014_152837.jpg
    20211014_152837.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Made it to Getaria and checked into the same pension where I stayed before. I was so looking forward to seeing the kind elderly owner again only to find out that she passed away last year. Her daughter took it over. The place looked the same from the outside but the impeccable cleaness was no more.

Attachments

• 20211014_172949.jpg
    20211014_172949.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211014_173452.jpg
    20211014_173452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211014_173139.jpg
    20211014_173139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

norelle

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Do you mind sharing the name of the pension? It looks lovely!

Mera

Past OR future Camino
Pension Iribar. Perhaps because the previous owner has passed away and the new owner is busy with her restaurant, I don't feel this place is special any longer. The bathroom tiles were moldy. I was rather disappointed. However the restaurants here are serving good foods.

I stop here partially because I am not keen to hectic atmospher of Zaraus and mainly because of town's historic significance in seafaring. Getaria is one of the oldest towns in the province, forned second half of the 12th century. The following is from the Wikipedia:
"Getaria is known for being Juan Sebastián Elcano’s hometown, a seaman well-known for being the first man to circumnavigate the earth. He was captain of the Nao Victoria, the one ship in Magellan's ill-fated fleet which completed the voyage. Today, Getaria is also famous for its restaurants serving grilled fish and a white wine with a protected designation of origin which is cultivated in the surroundings of this coastal town and takes the name of Getariako Txakolina. Moreover, the Cristobal Balenciaga Museum is also located in this village.
its most famous sons are Juan Sebastián Elcano, captain of the Nao Victoria, Admiral Miguel de Oquendo,[citation needed] who commanded the Guipúzcoa Squadron of the Spanish Armada, the explorer Domingo de Bonechea, and the couturier Cristóbal Balenciaga Eizaguirre.

In May 2012, a two-man team from Getaria won Google's "Model Your Town" competition by creating a complete 3D representation of their hometown.[2]"

Ok, let me be more honest. Those grilled fish and other sea foods they serve here are to die for. Every restaurant has BBQ grill outside. Starting at 8 pm, the whole town is filled with irrigistable good smell.

Attachments

• 20211014_192222.jpg
    20211014_192222.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211014_192105.jpg
    20211014_192105.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211014_190819.jpg
    20211014_190819.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211014_190722.jpg
    20211014_190722.jpg