Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Camino Invierno

Trish K

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov/Dec (2017)
Camino Norte (2019)
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
I am 3 days in on the Camino Invierno and thought I’d post a couple of thoughts for those who may be considering this Camino in the coming winter months. I won’t go into detail about the trail/landscape as other threads have covered that - this is more practicalities.

I started on Thursday from Ponferrada to Las Medulas where, luckily, I’d had a good breakfast in a cafe accross from the albergue, before setting off. I say luckily because despite passing through at least 4 villages (including Borrones) where there were cafes situated, not a single cafe or bar was open. I was unlucky with the weather - it poured with rain from start to finish. I was glad to have booked into Las Medulio hotel. The rooms were warm and I was able to get all of my kit dry overnight. My room also had a bath (bliss - bring your own plug!). The only negative was that the kitchen was closed from 2:30pm to 8pm - I’d arrived at 2:50pm. They had crisps and peanuts so made do with that. When I went down for dinner they said the kitchen wouldn’t open until 8:30pm. There was not a lot of choice for a veggie but they did me some egg & chips with cheese. I didn’t venture further as it was still pouring with rain. So Note to all - bring provisions with you from Ponferrada.

Day 2 - Las Medulas to O Barco and albergue Xagoaza.
I needed to leave early as another long day but the hotel didn’t open until 9.00am - so no breakfast there. I thought I’d find a cafe open in Las Medulas, but at 7:45am still nothing was open. The sun was shining today, so much more enjoyable. A couple of cafes open in Puente de Domingo Florez and had a lovely lunch in Sobradelo in Bar Museo. The other bars were closed but there is also a small Spar here, which was open. It’s a long stretch and it was after 4pm when I arrived in O Barco. I found a supermarket to buy provisions for dinner as I was staying in the albergue Xagoaza - a further 3.5km out of town. It’s not only out of town, it’s also up a steep hill! Not nice on already tired legs! I’d called ahead so they knew I was coming but it looked very closed up when I arrived. I phoned them and was told the door was open and to just go in. I had the whole place to myself but no heat or hot water. No kettle but at least there’s a microwave and hob. Also, all the beds had blankets so once in my sleeping bag with a blanket pulled over me, I was snug enough. NB: about 2/3rds of the way up I saw a yellow arrow pointing down a narrow track. No idea where that takes you but it’s not to the albergue! Stay on the road.

Day 3 - Xagoaza to A Rua. A nice short day so I decided to return into O Barco for a nice breakfast before setting off. You can take a shorter route without backtracking all the way into town. I did think that walking back down the hill if the weather was snowy or icy could be challenging. Not really any options for food or drink on this stage but it’s only around 13km. I’m staying in hostel O’Pillabán tonight, which is lovely. (I booked ahead). A Rua has several bars and cafes and a big supermarket. Tomorrows route had no option for food stops so stock up here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the update, @Trish K. You know there’s a pretty big bunch of Invierno fanatics here on the forum, and we always love to hear from people on the route.

Hope you get a chance to eat a meal in O’Pillabán - the food is quite good, a little on the foodie side.

And when you walk into Montefurado tomorrow, keep an eye out for the wonderful nonagerian (94 maybe?), Casimiro. He is a wonderful man and loves to regale you with stories. He is a real camino character and a lovely human being to boot. See this thread. His big house, on a hill, will be on the left before you get to the river and train tracks. It’s a real treat to be able to spend time with this man.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Trish K, how wonderful that you are currently walking the Invierno! I finished a short version beginning in Diomondi last Sunday. It rained every day which for me was a plus.
I hope you are able to stay in the Albergue in Diomondi. It is magical. No food nearby and will have to have already eaten your big meal of the day or bring dinner & breakfast. Microwave & fridge, no utensils or plates/cups.
Winery Via Romana immediately after Belesar great employees, spotless bathroom and free wine with a spectacular view.
In Chantada a must place to eat is Os Pendellos gourmet menu del día for € 12.
Go visit Carmiña at Bar Rosende/Albergue Reina Lupa about 11 km from Santiago.
Holler if you have any questions.
Buen Camino!!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the update, @Trish K. You know there’s a pretty big bunch of Invierno fanatics here on the forum, and we always love to hear from people on the route.

Hope you get a chance to eat a meal in O’Pillabán - the food is quite good, a little on the foodie side.

And when you walk into Montefurado tomorrow, keep an eye out for the wonderful nonagerian (94 maybe?), Casimiro. He is a wonderful man and loves to regale you with stories. He is a real camino character and a lovely human being to boot. See this thread. His big house, on a hill, will be on the left before you get to the river and train tracks. It’s a real treat to be able to spend time with this man.
I did enjoy a nice ensalada in O’pillabán - they are lovely people and the room was really comfy.

@Trish K, how wonderful that you are currently walking the Invierno! I finished a short version beginning in Diomondi last Sunday. It rained every day which for me was a plus.
I hope you are able to stay in the Albergue in Diomondi. It is magical. No food nearby and will have to have already eaten your big meal of the day or bring dinner & breakfast. Microwave & fridge, no utensils or plates/cups.
Winery Via Romana immediately after Belesar great employees, spotless bathroom and free wine with a spectacular view.
In Chantada a must place to eat is Os Pendellos gourmet menu del día for € 12.
Go visit Carmiña at Bar Rosende/Albergue Reina Lupa about 11 km from Santiago.
Holler if you have any questions.
Buen Camino!!!!!
I def planning to stay in Diomondi - will give them a call tomorrow to check they are open. Thanks for the other tips!

Thank you for posting! I'll be on the Invierno over Christmas holidays. I'm counting down the days :)

Your info is very helpful!
I remember seeing an earlier post from you to say you would be on the Invierno over Xmas. I think the only thing you’ll need to be mindful of is that the daylight hours will be short - and the stages are long! At the moment, it starts to get light around 8.00am and dark around 6.30pm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am 3 days in on the Camino Invierno and thought I’d post a couple of thoughts for those who may be considering this Camino in the coming winter months. I won’t go into detail about the trail/landscape as other threads have covered that - this is more practicalities.

I started on Thursday from Ponferrada to Las Medulas where, luckily, I’d had a good breakfast in a cafe accross from the albergue, before setting off. I say luckily because despite passing through at least 4 villages (including Borrones) where there were cafes situated, not a single cafe or bar was open. I was unlucky with the weather - it poured with rain from start to finish. I was glad to have booked into Las Medulio hotel. The rooms were warm and I was able to get all of my kit dry overnight. My room also had a bath (bliss - bring your own plug!). The only negative was that the kitchen was closed from 2:30pm to 8pm - I’d arrived at 2:50pm. They had crisps and peanuts so made do with that. When I went down for dinner they said the kitchen wouldn’t open until 8:30pm. There was not a lot of choice for a veggie but they did me some egg & chips with cheese. I didn’t venture further as it was still pouring with rain. So Note to all - bring provisions with you from Ponferrada.

Day 2 - Las Medulas to O Barco and albergue Xagoaza.
I needed to leave early as another long day but the hotel didn’t open until 9.00am - so no breakfast there. I thought I’d find a cafe open in Las Medulas, but at 7:45am still nothing was open. The sun was shining today, so much more enjoyable. A couple of cafes open in Puente de Domingo Florez and had a lovely lunch in Sobradelo in Bar Museo. The other bars were closed but there is also a small Spar here, which was open. It’s a long stretch and it was after 4pm when I arrived in O Barco. I found a supermarket to buy provisions for dinner as I was staying in the albergue Xagoaza - a further 3.5km out of town. It’s not only out of town, it’s also up a steep hill! Not nice on already tired legs! I’d called ahead so they knew I was coming but it looked very closed up when I arrived. I phoned them and was told the door was open and to just go in. I had the whole place to myself but no heat or hot water. No kettle but at least there’s a microwave and hob. Also, all the beds had blankets so once in my sleeping bag with a blanket pulled over me, I was snug enough. NB: about 2/3rds of the way up I saw a yellow arrow pointing down a narrow track. No idea where that takes you but it’s not to the albergue! Stay on the road.

Day 3 - Xagoaza to A Rua. A nice short day so I decided to return into O Barco for a nice breakfast before setting off. You can take a shorter route without backtracking all the way into town. I did think that walking back down the hill if the weather was snowy or icy could be challenging. Not really any options for food or drink on this stage but it’s only around 13km. I’m staying in hostel O’Pillabán tonight, which is lovely. (I booked ahead). A Rua has several bars and cafes and a big supermarket. Tomorrows route had no option for food stops so stock up here.
Thank you very much for your update.
I am hoping to walk this route one day, but in shorter stages.

Day 4 - A Rua to Quiroga.
Left my pack in O’Pillaban while I set out in the dark at 7:30am to find coffee. A nearby bar that I thought would be open had decided to be closed today - but I’d seen another likely option yesterday, which was open so all good. Retrieved my bag and set off as it got light around 8.00am. Although the guide books say no facilities on this route, there is a lovely little stall in O Alberados that had fruit and juices for pilgrims and also a sella so you can stamp your credential. There was no one there - just left out by some kind local. Further along the route someone else had left out a little basket of walnuts complete with nutcrackers! But - to be on the safe side, bring food with you for the day.
I enjoyed today - lovely views. It did rain in the afternoon but not heavy. Staying at hostel Quiper in Quiroga tonight. Contacted them via What’s Ap 2 days ago to check they were open. They replied straight away. The hostel is very nice. Amazing hot shower! €24.

I’m breaking the Quiroga to Monforte stage in two as my legs are muy tired after 3 big days already. Staying at Casa Pacita in A Ponte Barxa de Lor tomorrow, based on recommendations on this forum. Booked via their website.

I def planning to stay in Diomondi - will give them a call tomorrow to check they are open. Thanks for the other tips!
Buen camino, Trish!
Good move to break the walk to Monforte in two - there are definitely some hills. Please say hello and condolences to the good folks at Pension Pacita from us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember seeing an earlier post from you to say you would be on the Invierno over Xmas. I think the only thing you’ll need to be mindful of is that the daylight hours will be short - and the stages are long! At the moment, it starts to get light around 8.00am and dark around 6.30pm.
Yes, thank you! I walked on the Frances last Christmas and remember the short days. It's something I've been thinking about as the walk gets closer. I also remember how spectacular the lighting was with the sun lower in the sky. I have fond memories of last year's walk and I'm really looking forward to this one. Though a little nervous too :)

Staying at Casa Pacita in A Ponte Barxa de Lor tomorrow, based on recommendations on this forum. Booked via their website.
I'm enjoying your posts! Happy to hear that Pension Pacita is open!

Please say hello and condolences to the good folks at Pension Pacita from us.

Yes! Please tell them that Pacita is well remembered for her warm hospitality and kindness.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 5 & 6. Quiroga to Pension Pacita and onto Monforte.

So glad I split this section into 2 stages. I really enjoyed both days. Had a nice lie-in yesterday and a leisurely breakfast in Quiroga before setting off. There were plenty of bars and cafes open. The big climb was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - just a nice gradual ascent. Sad to see the devastation of the summer wildfires - what I’m sure was a beautiful pine forest trail is now quite desolate with much of it cut down. Still beautiful views though. Pension Pacita was a joy. I’d reserved ahead and also asked if they could provide dinner - which they did. A wonderful dish of river trout and fresh veg. Although my Spanish isn’t great, I did pass on condolences and kind thoughts as requested. The son was quite touched that people cared. He wasn’t going to be around to do breakfast but showed me where they have a toaster and coffee maker and where he’d left bread, pastries, milk, coffee etc so I could sort myself out. I would def recommend a stop-off here.

Today was also lovely. Nearly all off road through woodlands and along farm trails etc. there is a cafe open as you come over the bridge and into A Pobra do Brollon. Lots of locals within, so looks like it stays open most of the time. I’m staying in Albergue Lemavo in Monforte. (€14). It’s not in Brierlys guide but is on Gronze. I reserved via email and they responded promptly. It’s more of a hostel than an albergue but it’s nice and comfortable and Juan Carlos and his wife are really welcoming and helpful. I have the dorm to myself. It took me a while to find it but that was just me being a numpty. it’s only around 200m off the Camino and around a 15m walk into the centre of town. Plenty of eateries and a supermarket in town so was able to get provisions for tomorrow night when I’m booked into Diomonde.

Day 7 & 8

Both epic days for different reasons. Yesterday, it poured with rain all day again. There were cafes open in Monforte for breakfast, but not until 8.00am. There was nothing open en route. Brierley’s guide gives possible options as slight detours around Cruce - I didn’t go to see, but the hospitalario at Diamonde said she didn’t think either were open. So bring provisions for the day - and also night if staying at Diomonde. What an amazing albergue! Rosa was already there to greet me. She immediately told me I could wash and dry all my clothes (I looked like a drowned rat!). Laundry was €5 for wash and dry. Rosa is there every eve I think and stays till 8.30’ish. It was nice to initially have someone to chat too. There is a microwave but not much else but the albergue is amazing. I was there completely alone after Rosa left but felt fine. The rooms were warm and the showers hot. There were no additional blankets but not needed anyway.

I knew I had a long stretch today through to Rodeiro, so set out at 7:30am in the dark. It was challenging for sure - steepish descent on a woodland track, strewn with boulders and rocks - in the dark! But with a small head torch and poles I made it OK. Thankfully today was dry - but misty and cloudy. It took me around 2.5 hours to reach Chantada, where there were several cafes open. I stopped at Cafe Central which was buzzing with locals! I’m sure they would have made up a bocadillo to take away if requested. I didn’t see a supermarket but wasn’t really looking - but this is the last chance to get supplies for the day. This was my toughest and longest day. I finally arrived in Rodeiro around 4pm. I’m staying in hostel/albergue Carpintieras, a little off the Camino. You can reserve either a hostel room (around €26 or the albergue €13.40) on booking.com. I had the albergue completely to myself with a nice comfortable kitchen with big TV. Carpintieras is also a bar but they do not offer dinner. As the kitchen was so comfy and I was so tired, I just got a pizza from a nearby supermarket and microwaved it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, an epic day to Rodeiro. You must be very fit! Buen camino, Trish. May your feet continue to have wings! 😊
Well, I’m no spring chicken - I was wasted by the end of it! With hindsight - and if I had the time, I think I would have set out later in the morning from Diamonde and had a bit of a rest day in Chantada if there were accom options available.

Day 9 (yesterdays post only got posted today as well).

Rodeiro to Lalin. My favorite day so far. Woke up to frosty conditions and for the first time this trek, I felt like I was on a winter Camino. Sunshine and frost makes for such pretty scenery. A shorter day - only 25km so I could really relax and enjoy the day - so much of which is along forest trails, grassy tracks and very much farming communities - lots of muck spreading going on today! no facilities on route so bring a few snacks.

I’m staying a little bit off the Camino as you exit Lalin at Hostel Caracas. Nice and comfortable €24 via Booking.com. I noticed some bars and cafes open in Lalin and suspect there’s a supermarket also. There are a couple of restaurants near to me here and a cafe across the road for breakfast so happy days. I guess my Camino Invierno officially ends when I pass through A Laxe tomorrow and join the end of the Sanabrés. I’m hoping the albergue in Bandeira will be open as that’s where I plan to stay.

Day 7 & 8

Both epic days for different reasons. Yesterday, it poured with rain all day again. There were cafes open in Monforte for breakfast, but not until 8.00am. There was nothing open en route. Brierley’s guide gives possible options as slight detours around Cruce - I didn’t go to see, but the hospitalario at Diamonde said she didn’t think either were open. So bring provisions for the day - and also night if staying at Diomonde. What an amazing albergue! Rosa was already there to greet me. She immediately told me I could wash and dry all my clothes (I looked like a drowned rat!). Laundry was €5 for wash and dry. Rosa is there every eve I think and stays till 8.30’ish. It was nice to initially have someone to chat too. There is a microwave but not much else but the albergue is amazing. I was there completely alone after Rosa left but felt fine. The rooms were warm and the showers hot. There were no additional blankets but not needed anyway.

I knew I had a long stretch today through to Rodeiro, so set out at 7:30am in the dark. It was challenging for sure - steepish descent on a woodland track, strewn with boulders and rocks - in the dark! But with a small head torch and poles I made it OK. Thankfully today was dry - but misty and cloudy. It took me around 2.5 hours to reach Chantada, where there were several cafes open. I stopped at Cafe Central which was buzzing with locals! I’m sure they would have made up a bocadillo to take away if requested. I didn’t see a supermarket but wasn’t really looking - but this is the last chance to get supplies for the day. This was my toughest and longest day. I finally arrived in Rodeiro around 4pm. I’m staying in hostel/albergue Carpintieras, a little off the Camino. You can reserve either a hostel room (around €26 or the albergue €13.40) on booking.com. I had the albergue completely to myself with a nice comfortable kitchen with big TV. Carpintieras is also a bar but they do not offer dinner. As the kitchen was so comfy and I was so tired, I just got a pizza from a nearby supermarket and microwaved it.
Wow....that is a killer day!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 9 (yesterdays post only got posted today as well).

Rodeiro to Lalin. My favorite day so far. Woke up to frosty conditions and for the first time this trek, I felt like I was on a winter Camino. Sunshine and frost makes for such pretty scenery. A shorter day - only 25km so I could really relax and enjoy the day - so much of which is along forest trails, grassy tracks and very much farming communities - lots of muck spreading going on today! no facilities on route so bring a few snacks.

I’m staying a little bit off the Camino as you exit Lalin at Hostel Caracas. Nice and comfortable €24 via Booking.com. I noticed some bars and cafes open in Lalin and suspect there’s a supermarket also. There are a couple of restaurants near to me here and a cafe across the road for breakfast so happy days. I guess my Camino Invierno officially ends when I pass through A Laxe tomorrow and join the end of the Sanabrés. I’m hoping the albergue in Bandeira will be open as that’s where I plan to stay.
You are living well… both Casa Pacita ( with José and his son José Luis) and Hostel Caracas are excellent places to spend a night. I walked the Invierno with my friend Emilio, in October and we really enjoyed meeting and talking with José and his son. It’s a beautiful walk over the old bridge and along the river getting there. José shared his homemade aguardienté with is and is a proud, engaging soul.
I can’t remember the lovely women’s name who checked us into Hostel Caracas, but she was very hospitable… showing us a couple of rooms to chose from, pointing out a place to get a early morning café etc…we even ran into her later waking back into town with her partner! Just full of warmth and good wishes.

You are living well… both Casa Pacita ( with José and his son José Luis) and Hostel Caracas are excellent places to spend a night. I walked the Invierno with my friend Emilio, in October and we really enjoyed meeting and talking with José and his son. It’s a beautiful walk over the old bridge and along the river getting there. José shared his homemade aguardienté with is and is a proud, engaging soul.
I can’t remember the lovely women’s name who checked us into Hostel Caracas, but she was very hospitable… showing us a couple of rooms to chose from, pointing out a place to get a early morning café etc…we even ran into her later waking back into town with her partner! Just full of warmth and good wishes.
I’m not sure of the ladies name either but she was really nice and showed me where I could get dinner nearby. As for Jose Luis (I never met the father) I sampled his home made wine which was very nice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Day 10 - Lalin to Silleda. Another lovely frosty morning but sun shining. The walk out of Lalin is beautiful. I passed the albergue in A Laxe which a local informed me is open every day. There is not much else around there, but there’s a lovely cafe/bar a couple of minutes up on the main road, which does dinner and breakfast - Restaurant José. I stopped there for coffee - very friendly and nice wood burning stove! I had planned to go to Bandeira today, but just couldn’t find out if the albergue would be open. Silleda had more choice, so stopped here. I’m staying in albergue Santa Olaia, which looks like it stays open all year. I have a nice 2 bed dorm room to myself. It’s a big albergue and, apparently there is another pilgrim here…somewhere!

I was planning to stay in Outeiro tomorrow, but again, can get no reply from the albergue there. I tried the albergue O Cruceiro in Ponte Ulla as an alternative but they told me they are closed tomorrow (and didn’t know if Outeiro is open….). So I’ve splashed out on Pension Residencial Victoria (via booking.com) - it’s only 400m off the Camino between Pont Ulla and Outeiro. It’s €33 but at least I’m guaranteed somewhere to sleep - so peace of mind for my final night on the Camino.

So another Camino done. This was certainly different. Very solitary - but I’ve enjoyed every minute (when is wasn’t pouring with rain!). In summary, of the 14 days (13 nights) I’ve been walking, I found 4 albergues def open - the remaining nights I always found reasonably cheap alternatives without having to get transport anywhere.

My average daily spend on accom and food/drink was around €38 - this was slightly inflated by last nights €33 a night hotel - but on the plus side I got to watch England beat Senegal on the tv in the bar downstairs!

It did require more planning in terms of ensuring accom options were available etc, but not too much hassle.

It’s a beautiful Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So another Camino done. This was certainly different. Very solitary - but I’ve enjoyed every minute (when is wasn’t pouring with rain!). In summary, of the 14 days (13 nights) I’ve been walking, I found 4 albergues def open - the remaining nights I always found reasonably cheap alternatives without having to get transport anywhere.

My average daily spend on accom and food/drink was around €38 - this was slightly inflated by last nights €33 a night hotel - but on the plus side I got to watch England beat Senegal on the tv in the bar downstairs!

It did require more planning in terms of ensuring accom options were available etc, but not too much hassle.

It’s a beautiful Camino.
Many thanks @Trish K for your posts - great info. Will be walking the Invierno in May23. All the best and congrats. Cooee

Thank you for posting! I'll be on the Invierno over Christmas holidays. I'm counting down the days :)

Your info is very helpful!
Hi,

i'm new here because i'm planning my trip at Camino Invierno. I hope I won't be alone on the trip because it says only few peregrinos are around at winter. Maybe we will meet because i'm planning to start on December 28th at O Barco de Valdeorras.

Buen Camino!

i'm new here because i'm planning my trip at Camino Invierno.
Hi Hektor, Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will find good information as well as virtaul firneds here on the forum. Post any questions you have, either here or in a new thread.

We would especially love to read about your Camino when you get started, so please feel free to start a new thread that is "Live from the Camino."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much for all of your posts, TrishK, so enjoyable and very helpful. Am hoping, dreaming, planning to walk this beautiful sounding Camino in 2023 with the same friend I walked the VdlP this year. Having read your account I’m impatient to start 🥾🥾🤸‍♂️🥾🥾
Ultreia!

Hi,

i'm new here because i'm planning my trip at Camino Invierno. I hope I won't be alone on the trip because it says only few peregrinos are around at winter. Maybe we will meet because i'm planning to start on December 28th at O Barco de Valdeorras.

Buen Camino!
Hektor, I walked in May 2018 and totally met 5 peregrinos, once, until A Laxe, so this camino is not crowdy in summer either. But locals are friendly. Buen camino!
Randi

Staying at Casa Pacita in A Ponte Barxa de Lor tomorrow, based on recommendations on this forum. Booked via their website.
Would appreciate a link to this website - can't find it anywhere! And they're not on WhatsApp(?) Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you both. I know WhatsApp is only on mobiles, (or cellphones in the US) I finally caved in and bought one this year at peregrina2000's prompting! As she advised, very useful in rural Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would appreciate a link to this website - can't find it anywhere! And they're not on WhatsApp(?) Thanks in advance.
Ah - sorry - it wasn’t a website - I googled him and on the Google site it gives you the option to message him - that’s how I communicated.

Thanks. Liked your reports on the Invierno - wish I could still walk those distances!

Thank you both. I know WhatsApp is only on mobiles, (or cellphones in the US) I finally caved in and bought one this year at peregrina2000's prompting! As she advised, very useful in rural Spain.
!
I could not easily walk an untraveled camino without WhatsApp. It has been a godsend on multiple occasions. But I hope I don’t come across as a WhatsApp shill! I have many good friends who shun anything facebook-related like the plague, but for me the benefits are too great.

Thanks. Liked your reports on the Invierno - wish I could still walk those distances!
I’m gearing up for shorter distances, too, @Glenshiro. The combo of covid lockdown and being in my 70s means that my easy long days are over. I’m trying hard to keep a positive attitude, because for me there is no better way to smell the roses than to walk and walk and walk. My body has other ideas, and I will adapt!

I remember, I think, that you had to stop the Invierno last summer because of the heat. Or was it something else? Are you planning a return? What kind of shorter distances are you talking about? Our thread on 25 km and less on the Invierno has a lot of good tips, I think. Don’t mean to derail @trish K’s live thread, though she has made it home by now and hopefully won’t mind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I could not easily walk an untraveled camino without WhatsApp. It has been a godsend on multiple occasions. But I hope I don’t come across as a WhatsApp shill! I have many good friends who shun anything facebook-related like the plague, but for me the benefits are too great.

I’m gearing up for shorter distances, too, @Glenshiro. The combo of covid lockdown and being in my 70s means that my easy long days are over. I’m trying hard to keep a positive attitude, because for me there is no better way to smell the roses than to walk and walk and walk. My body has other ideas, and I will adapt!

I remember, I think, that you had to stop the Invierno last summer because of the heat. Or was it something else? Are you planning a return? What kind of shorter distances are you talking about? Our thread on 25 km and less on the Invierno has a lot of good tips, I think. Don’t mean to derail @trish K’s live thread, though she has made it home by now and hopefully won’t mind.
Yes, I've just hit three score years and ten, and taking it easier. Gone are the days when I would regard 25-30 km as an easy stroll!

It was a combination of heat (40°C) and Covid which derailed me this year, mainly Covid.

However, I plan to go back in June of next year and, as a matter of fact, I relied heavily on your 25 km or less thread in helping me to plan. I have now drafted a 10 day walk from A Rua to Santiago de Compostela which will see me, finally, completing the route from Le Puy in a mere 11 years. I still have family and caring responsibilities which prevent me from staying away for more than 10-12 days, but that's been long enough to get the flavour of the chemin/camino and to whet my appetite to return the following year.

Not sure what I'll do next year - I have my eye on the Camino Aragones, although I am strongly tempted to return to France.

Thanks for your tip about WhatsApp - it proved invaluable in Spain and, now possessing a smartphone, I have to confess that Google maps were a great aid in enabling me to find my accommodation whenever I arrived in a strange town.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back