• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Fisterra - My first Camino is now officially over!

isabelle304

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
After setting off from St Jean de Pied de Port on 3rd October (seems like a lifetime ago!), with the intention of being back home in England by 1 November (ha ha!!), here I sit in the Mariquito (Cafeteria! Pub! Habitaciones!) in Fisterra nearly 7 weeks later, feeling extremely satistied, if a little sad, that the adventure is over.

It took me 41 days (one day short of 6 weeks!) to walk St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago (including 1.5 days' rest in Burgos, 0.5 day in Sahagun and 0.5 day in Léon). I then rested in Santiago for 1 day, before setting off again for Fisterra, which I opted to do in 4 days instead of the usual 3 (my way: day 1 - Santiago to Negreira; day 2 - Negreira to Maroñas; day 3 - Maroñas to Cee; and a leisurely last day 4 for the final 16km Cee to Fisterra).

Although going on to Fisterra was only an afterthought, and not something I had planned to do before setting off, it is quite ironic that these last 4 days were probably 4 of the best on my Camino. We´ve just had unbelievably good weather for this time of year - incredible blue skies and magnificient sunshine, and fairly high temperatures - and for the first time since leaving Burgos I have been able to walk wearing a tee-shirt and sunglasses rather than my micro-fleece and my woolly hat! The scenery on this stretch of the Camino is to me very appealing as I grew up by the seaside (south of France) and seeing the beautiful beach here reminded me much of home.

When I first arrived in Santiago last week, I felt a bit underwhelmed. The journey felt unfinished - something was missing, I could not rest. However last night, watching the sun set over the sea here in Fisterra, I felt my journey was over and I could finally return home.

So I return home on Friday. Once there, I will spend much time updating my blog (something I have not felt inclined to do since Azofra!) and hopefully it might be of interest to future autumn pilgrims.

Once again, thanks again for all the advice here. Reading this forum thoroughly before I set off helped me a great deal, especially as my decision to come was fairly sudden and I only had 2 weeks to prepare for the trip.

To end this long post, I thought I´d attach 3 photographs as a taster (there will be more on my blog) - one taken on 1 November as I was walking from Rabanal del Camino to Cruz de Ferro - it snowed for 2 hours that day - and two taken yesterday: my first sight of the beach as I walked from Cee to Fisterra, and one of the sea as the sun set last night around 6pm - a fitting end to this trip.

Isabelle

Attachments

• Isabelle between Rabanal and Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    Isabelle between Rabanal and Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Walking towards Fisterra.jpg
    Walking towards Fisterra.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Sunset over Fisterra.jpg
    Sunset over Fisterra.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,208
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Isabelle,
Looking forward to reading your story. Kudos to you for walking in that cold, something this FLorida girl has a hard time with.
I too, and many others will tell you that arriving in Santiago was more a feeling of a stopover, albeit a very important one, and that moving forward 3 or 4 more days to Fisterra made it feel more complete. True for me. I shed tears in front of that cathedral (actually as I was coming 'round the corner) and it felt glorious, but that sunset at Fisterra gave me a feeling of completion I had not felt before. I was happy to have gone there.
Onward,
Lillian

Congratulations Isabelle!
Your photos are lovely. Sometimes the "spur of the moment' decisions are the best ones! Looking forward to hearing about your "autumn walk".
Ultreia,

Congratulations Isabelle! It sounds like you had a wonderful walk, and I too look forward to reading your blog. I love the photo at Rabanal with the snow! (I just got fog up by Cruz de Ferro in June.)
Enjoy your well-earned rest!
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations and well done Isabelle.

I was getting a bit concerned about you as we did not hear from you for a few weeks. I am really looking forward to reading your blog and seeing some more of your photos. You must have had some really interesting experiences along the way since we parted company in Uterga all those weeks ago.

I am planning to return to the Camino in April 2009 and again in October of next year when I plan to reach Santiago. Maybe we will meet again if you ever decide to do your second Camino.

Again, well done Isabelle, you are an inspiration to us all.

Paul

Wow! 2 weeks to prep! and your photos are amazing...The first one nearly made me tear up! and then your smiling face...surrounded by SNOW!! Really looking forward to reading your blog. Amazing job.

Karin :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Isabelle,

Congratulations! I can't wait to read your story!

I'm planning for my first Camino this year...You had 2 weeks to prepare, how awesome!

Buen Camino,
Silvi

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back