Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from Primitivo

Radosveta

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning it
If you are starting the Primitivo, be super extra careful and ask locals and albergues. The weather is really bad which makes the Camino very dangerous at places. I mean crossing raging rivers, mud up to your knees and there are no advisories. It's better sometimes to take the road even though it's boring and not so pretty. Just go with caution and very very good gear! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By following the sign posted cycle alternative you can skip some of the more wild stages, I'm sure of this at least in Asturias.
If you understand Spanish 100.9 FM radio Asturias for local weather reports. And try to plan a night at the albergue/monastery in Cornellana which is very beautiful. Take care and good luck.

Last edited:
I remember a lot of mud 5 or 6 kms before Tineo in a dry June, so now that path must be in a very bad condition. Be careful if you try to avoid that stretch walking the meadows around because it will be difficult to return to the path. This could be a rule for other places with mud.

I remember a lot of mud 5 or 6 kms before Tineo in a dry June, so now that path must be in a very bad condition. Be careful if you try to avoid that stretch walking the meadows around because it will be difficult to return to the path. This could be a rule for other places with mud.
At the cemetery there is a right turn along the wall, past a house then a left turn on to a track. If you ignore the right turn and instead KSO and follow the sign to Santa Eulalia then you are on the road into Tineo, missing this mud bath. We wished we had done this and it is a shorter distance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are starting the Primitivo, be super extra careful and ask locals and albergues. The weather is really bad which makes the Camino very dangerous at places. I mean crossing raging rivers, mud up to your

knees and there are no advisories. It's better sometimes to take the road even though it's boring and not so pretty. Just go with caution and very very good gear! Buen Camino!

Today on EL NORTE between Canero and Luarca I stopped for a coffee then followed the camino signs through a short steep forest to catch the 634 highway for a bit....only to find a massive rock/landslide occurred 10 minutes before blocking all traffic. Also as I took the coastal paths from Soto de Luina to Cadavedo I was basically walking down river paths and washed out paths requiring getting soaked to cross paths. With more rain predicted coastal and forests will be worse

Last edited:
If you are starting the Primitivo, be super extra careful and ask locals and albergues. The weather is really bad which makes the Camino very dangerous at places. I mean crossing raging rivers, mud up to your knees and there are no advisories. It's better sometimes to take the road even though it's boring and not so pretty. Just go with caution and very very good gear! Buen Camino!

El Norte is the same. The coastal forest paths are rivers and washed out in many places and more rain to come. Yesterday at Canero I just missed by 10 minutes a huge rock /landslide onto the N634 road which blocked all traffic both directions not even on foot could you cross. I’m taking extra care.

El Norte is the same. The coastal forest paths are rivers and washed out in many places and more rain to come. Yesterday at Canero I just missed by 10 minutes a huge rock /landslide onto the N634 road which blocked all traffic both directions not even on foot could you cross. I’m taking extra care.
Hi Colette, I'm a day or two behind you, walking from Soto de Luina tomorrow (Thurs). Did you take the coastal, or the "mountain" route? The hospitalera warned us that the mountain route is impassable, but nothing about the coastal. Any advice? Wow it's really been crazy out there!
[p.s. Sorry know this is a thread about the Primitivo, but us Nortegrinos in Asturias are in the same weather zone so hopefully will be forgiven]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where did you come across raging rivers on the Primitivo? I can't recall anywhere that had a river crossing that didn't also have a significantly large bridge. A few creeks had small footbridges. It would be helpful for others to know.

Hi Colette, I'm a day or two behind you, walking from Soto de Luina tomorrow (Thurs). Did you take the coastal, or the "mountain" route? The hospitalera warned us that the mountain route is impassable, but nothing about the coastal. Any advice? Wow it's really been crazy out there!
[p.s. Sorry know this is a thread about the Primitivo, but us Nortegrinos in Asturias are in the same weather zone so hopefully will be forgiven]

You PM me. I took coastal but it’s mostly forest up and down switchbacks. Lots of water and passable washouts but you’ll get wet. I did it and I’m 60. No one went the mountain route and seeing it from afar I would not it especially alone as there is nothing. Your other option which most did was walk the road. Take care. I’m heading to Ribadeo today.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Colette, it was pretty much as you described, we made it along the coastal route but had to take our shoes off to wade across streams and at one point used a fallen tree as a bridge. So much water. And as much laughter as there was mud! A very memorable day indeed.

How is it on the Primitivo after the latest rain and snow?
The Norte does not sound a much better option.
Safe walking to you all.

Hey, everyone! I’m in Oviedo and watching this thread closely. I’m taking a six day break and next week my husband joins me and we’ll begin walking the Primitivo together next Friday.

This morning, the hospitalero in Siero de Pola warned a man about Primitivo snow who was on the fence between continuing on the Primitivo or going back to the Norte after Oviedo. I think he is choosing to return to the Norte, but my husband and I will still be tackling the Primitivo!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Radosveta for starting this thread. Just so happens, I’m traveling a bit around in Portugal & Spain and aiming to start Primitivo within a week or two - depending on weather conditions AND this thread!

I can confirm the mud. If you have good hiking boots and spare socks it’s ok. A few people are walking with just trainers en route! But they are surviving. Miraculousa.

Attachments

• 2AEF66C5-4ED3-4802-83D8-73694A4FA7A7.jpeg
    2AEF66C5-4ED3-4802-83D8-73694A4FA7A7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Orlagh! I’m checking in to see how you doing.

It looks like I’m heading to Madrid from Seville this Tuesday. Then I’ll be eyeballing weather conditions in Oviedo, Lugo, A Coruna, and of course, Santiago de Comp.

BTW Your photo shows one very muddy spot; is it everywhere else - especially climbing hills?

Where did you come across raging rivers on the Primitivo? I can't recall anywhere that had a river crossing that didn't also have a significantly large bridge. A few creeks had small footbridges. It would be helpful for others to know.
Sorry for the late reply..... It was all because of the exceptionally bad weather conditions. Pretty much the first two days - from Oviedo to Salas. It’s been a lot of rain and snow now and rivers are overflooding the path. Some had quite strong currents and no place to safely cross. Take care everyone! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Orlagh! I’m checking in to see how you doing.

It looks like I’m heading to Madrid from Seville this Tuesday. Then I’ll be eyeballing weather conditions in Oviedo, Lugo, A Coruna, and of course, Santiago de Comp.

BTW Your photo shows one very muddy spot; is it everywhere else - especially climbing hills?

Hi!

That patch was between grado and Tineo... which has been mentioned in this thread. If only I read it in time.

There is mud at the lowlands in general but is passable.

BUT
Today the mud coming out of grandes de Salime was atrocious.

I recommend staying on the road until it starts climbing. It was good up past penafuente. But once the Forest path came back onto the road after a short climb, I stayed on the road all the way to the Galicia border.

From the lovely O Acebo bar, the paths are excellent.

Now I need to find a report about the leg from padron, apparently the most mucky at the best of times. I may need to stick to the roads as I don’t speak Spanish and this lovely hostel is deserted.

Buen Camino! It’s gorgeous even in the rain and wind.

Hey, everyone! I’m in Oviedo and watching this thread closely. I’m taking a six day break and next week my husband joins me and we’ll begin walking the Primitivo together next Friday.

This morning, the hospitalero in Siero de Pola warned a man about Primitivo snow who was on the fence between continuing on the Primitivo or going back to the Norte after Oviedo. I think he is choosing to return to the Norte, but my husband and I will still be tackling the Primitivo!

The snow is melting right now, but still hanging on at the highest points above 1100m. Looks like it could be ok for you next week if it doesn’t snow again.

Maybe you’ll need to be very cautious about the hospitales route though. Huge amounts of snow there so I can only imagine it could be a muckfest when thawing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They must have been on a different Camino than you or I were on! I cannot imagine what raging rivers they were talking about. It rained for a week solid before I started and had only a bit of mud and no raging rivers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I may in a hydrological point of view, snowmelt is surface runoff produced from melting snow - not heavy rain. Even rapid snowmelt can cause flooding.

During second stage in the month of early April, there were still snowmelt at that time and even more before then - that caused mud sludges.

Hope these images below help:

1286FE6D-D69A-4047-B507-3DF28AC15AC2.pngF8FCF34C-38D3-4EAC-82E6-B2CD3C95DD21.pngEF7D1FD1-639C-4926-865D-964A59F7AE8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back