• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Puente de Reina

pos

Hello Forum Members

I am now a week into my Camino having started in SJPP on Oct 3rd. It is one of the most extraordinary experiences that I have had in my lifetime. The people that I have met and the places that I have seen, I will never forget them. Speaking as a 57 year old not too fit Irishman - it can be done! So to any of you out there who have any doubts about your ability to complete the Camino - just do it! You will be glad that you did.

By the way, the weather is just perfect for walking - dry and sunny with just a light cooling breeze.

Buen Camino!

Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Way to go, Paul!
You're 1/5 of the way there! (more or less! :) ) I have met piles of Irish on my two Caminos...adn you are right... it is the most amazing experience. Best wishes for wonderful walking...
Buen Camino,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Glad you are enjoying it Paul. The sights and the people make for some marvellous memories. And I agree, it is something us very 'ordinary' people can do!
Margaret - who met some lovely Irish people along the way.

Hi Paul-
I'm happy for you! I have not yet been on the Camino. Our journey will begin October 22nd from SJPDP or Lourdes. The decision will come last minute :wink:

Isabelle and Waverly should be near. Both began around the same time as you within a day I think. Have you met either? If you have please have them check in, if possible. I wonder how they are.

Stay healthy,
Nicole

Hello Nicole

Thank you for your kind words. I have met and walked with Isabelle from Cizor Menor to Uterga on Wednesday Oct. 8th. . She is getting on fine and enjoying the camino.

Buen Camino

Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fantastic! I am glad to hear Isabelle is well. I know I can't keep up with everyone but I do enjoy hearing about everyone progress.

Thanks for the news. And Stay Healthy!

beachamorgan said:
Fantastic! I am glad to hear Isabelle is well. I know I can't keep up with everyone but I do enjoy hearing about everyone progress.
Sorry I have only just seen this thread. I used to be a Net Addict but since starting the Camino I am usually too exhausted at the end of the day to want to get online, even if Internet access is available (and it often is not).

I had the good fortune of meeting Paul in Zubirri at the beg of October, and stayed at the same albergues as him on three consecutive nights. As Paul mentioned, we walked together over Alto de Perdón and I then had to leave him in Uterga while I carried on to Obanos. I´ve heard of his progress since then from other people I have met on the Camino and heard he was doing well also.

As for me, I quickly abandoned my naive plan of completing the Camino in one month when I started walking and realised that 20-24km a day was my limit (although I must say I did manage 28km a couple of days ago - but I have now reached the Meseta so there are less hills to defeat me).

I took a day off in Burgos last weekend (checked into an extremely nice hotel and had a long relaxing bath and dried myself with "real", fluffy towels), visited the Cathedral, attended the singing mass at mid-day, ate "normal" food in a restaurant (ie not the pilgrim´s menu!).

Remember - I had no training whatsoever when I started this, and I had never trekked with a backpack. I also took a pair of shoes that were brand new. To top it all, I am (was?) about 60lbs overweight. I have been extremely lucky in that my shoes have given me no problem whatsoever (not a blister in sight!). A fellow Korean pilgrim told me the other day that I was "slow but steady". That made me laugh but it is an accurate description.

I am meeting lots of nice people but also the odd unpleasant one, of course. I go through an extended range of feelings each day, from positive to negative to positive again. I am enjoying subjecting other Spanish pilgrims to my atrocious Spanish. I am enjoying the Vino Tinto (back home, I never drink wine as it gives me headaches and makes me sick) and the various coffee breaks in tiny quiet villages. I am enjoying villagers wishing me well - yesterday, an old farmer rushed over to me on his tractor, jumped off, and gave me a handful of sweets, before giving me a big hug and jumping back on his tractor and back to his fields.

As I write this, it is 6am here in Carrión de los Condes and I am on the dawn of my Day 22. I am looking forward to today as today I reach Calzadilla where I will be half-way between St Jean and Santiago! This means I am not standing still after all! (Some days, it really feels like that!). It´s taken me 3 weeks to get here, so supposedly it will take me 3 weeks more to finish.

To all my fellow pilgrims presently on the Camino, best wishes! Wrap up warm - the last couple of days I have really started to feel the cold.

And thanks to all those of you who gave me advice before I set off. It´s all been very valuable and extremely useful.

Isabelle

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
""I am enjoying villagers wishing me well - yesterday, an old farmer rushed over to me on his tractor, jumped off, and gave me a handful of sweets, before giving me a big hug and jumping back on his tractor and back to his fields""

Brilliant.

Buen Camino
Brian

Isabelle,
From someone else who was "slow but steady", I say welcome to the tortoise club. And I hope you travel safely and have many more good experiences along the way.
Margaret

That was a very heart warming posting Isabelle. You sound very positive overall, if cold at times! ( I can identify with that after two very cold nights camping at Vezelay in September). The ups and downs of emotions during the journey is part of it, isn't it. As a cyclist a lot of that for me would have to do with hills - I composed a whole philosophical treatise on hills in my head as I was walking up them! And the pleasure gained in communicating in someone else's language, however poorly - I can identify with that too.

So thank you, and may you continue well for the second half of your camino
God bless

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Isabelle

Reading your latest post, I am delighted that you are doing so well and that you are now more than half way to Santiago. I really enjoyed your company in the hostels that we stayed in and also our climb over Alto del Perdon.

You are going well at 22 to 24kms per day and 28kms in one day was quite an achievement. I must admit that I am one of the slower pilgrims, maybe the slowest of all.

From Uterga, I went on to Puente La Riena via Eunate. After that I stayed in Lorca, Villamayor de Monjardin, Los Arcos, Torres del Rio, finishing in Logrono on October 14th. I cannot wait to return next April to continue my Camino.

From rain soaked Ireland, wishing you Isabelle and everyone else on the Camino at present, good weather, good company and Buen Camino. Keep in Touch.

Paul

It was three degrees centigrade leaving Estella this morning! It rained all day, and the mud was very slick next to the vineyards. There is a nice warm potbelly stove here in Los Arcos, so I am going to get warm!
Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back