• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
We arrived in SJPP today. We are grateful that I have booked SJPP, BORDA, and Roncesvalles as people are being turned away and some have set up camp and are sleeping in the streets in the rain that is expected tonight

I have warned people they need to book lodging ahead but they have not listened so I feel bad, but not so bad. Lots of things are closed today because of Labor Day so there is no place to buy bread or food. Restaurants are open and the food is very good there if it is within your budget. It is cold in the gite where I am and there is no heat . I suggest you bring a sleeping bag as it is supposed to rain the next several days.

It was exciting to be back on the Camino and in SJPP. But I’m blown away at the number of pilgrims that are here already. It’s Looking like it’s going to be a very busy season.

Tomorrow morning at 8 AM we walk to BORDA. I have to wait outside with the bags because the owner here apparently locks the doors at 8 AM and everybody’s bags go outside to wait on the sidewalk for transport. This is something new. I will write more on my blog later if you are interested in learning of our experience here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
days.

It was exciting to be back on the Camino and in SJPP. But I’m blown away at the number of pilgrims that are here already. It’s Looking like it’s going to be a very busy season.
I’m sure you’re right about that Annie. When we were in SJPP about 10 days ago, at conclusion of Chemin du Piemont, our gite owner told us all 600 beds in SJPP were occupied that night. A few days later when we returned to SJPP to have dinner with friends it was not ‘complet’ - but almost. Yikes 😎

We arrived in SJPP today. We are grateful that I have booked SJPP, BORDA, and Roncesvalles as people are being turned away and some have set up camp and are sleeping in the streets in the rain that is expected tonight

I have warned people they need to book lodging ahead but they have not listened so I feel bad, but not so bad. Lots of things are closed today because of Labor Day so there is no place to buy bread or food. Restaurants are open and the food is very good there if it is within your budget. It is cold in the gite where I am and there is no heat . I suggest you bring a sleeping bag as it is supposed to rain the next several days.

Tomorrow morning at 8 AM we walk to BORDA. I have to wait outside with the bags because the owner here apparently locks the doors at 8 AM and everybody’s bags go outside to wait on the sidewalk for transport. This is something new. I will write

Tomorrow morning at 8 AM we walk to BORDA. I have to wait outside with the bags because the owner here apparently locks the doors at 8 AM and everybody’s bags go outside to wait on the sidewalk for transport. This is something new. I will write more on my blog later if you are interested in learning of our experience here.

more on my blog later if you are interested in learning of our experience here.
Please take note of what Annie is telling you! Many of us have suggested that people book, the first 3 or 4 nights to at least Pamplona! This is a Holy Year, more pilgrims traveling Post lockdowns..and it is a holiday weekend besides!
In addition, a number cases of omicron 2 have been reported by pilgrims. This is not a time, IMO, to wing it folks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Appreciate this timely information Annie. I have booked thru Pamplona and may book additional places based on what you're describing. I arrive in SJPP 5/18. Buen Camino to you and your group!

I would love to see a comparison of numbers for all years for this time of year. Every year that I have walked starting in April there were a lot of pilgrims and accommodations until Pamplona were full. Particularly in Orisson, Roncevalles and Zubiri. It always to be to be that after Pamplona with more towns and pilgrims being able to go different distances that it gets better. I have always recommended that pilgrims make reservations to Pamplona.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today was what is considered by most is the most difficult day. My group breezed right through it. The weather was perfect, cool with a little bit of mist.. The views were beautiful as always. My mistake was starting so early. We had to be out of our rooms by 8 AM and I failed to see that we could not check into Borda until 2:30 PM. So the group spent many hours at Orisson.

Hunta was not open for coffee as usual, though we did use their bathrooms.

The soup at Orrison was really good. Very welcome in this weather.

Borda is a beautiful Gite that is run like a tight ship. I really like it and I’m looking forward to dinner and breakfast here. I haven’t decided if I will walk tomorrow. My back is bothering me. It will depend on the weather. It’s looking to be about 50% rain so I’m just going to wait till morning to make a decision.

I’m sure you’re right about that Annie. When we were in SJPP about 10 days ago, at conclusion of Chemin du Piemont, our gite owner told us all 600 beds in SJPP were occupied that night. A few days later when we returned to SJPP to have dinner with friends it was not ‘complet’ - but almost. Yikes 😎
Hello my fellow Aussie 🤗 I’m on the way too finally! Started in SJPdP on 27 th April at the wonderful Beilari albergue, then blessed with a rare sunny day to Orisson followed by an opposite experience to Roncenvalles in thick mist! Now in Peunte la reina. My advice is Book Ahead. Buen Camino.

I would love to see a comparison of numbers for all years for this time of year. Every year that I have walked starting in April there were a lot of pilgrims and accommodations until Pamplona were full. Particularly in Orisson, Roncevalles and Zubiri. It always to be to be that after Pamplona with more towns and pilgrims being able to go different distances that it gets better. I have always recommended that pilgrims make reservations to Pamplona.

My first French Camino was 2010. I started on March 23rd from SJPdP with 13 other Pilgrims. On April 11th 2017 I started with over 300 pilgrims. Not exactly apples to apples but it gives you a perspective of the Camino's popularity.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello my fellow Aussie 🤗 I’m on the way too finally! Started in SJPdP on 27 th April at the wonderful Beilari albergue, then blessed with a rare sunny day to Orisson followed by an opposite experience to Roncenvalles in thick mist! Now in Peunte la reina. My advice is Book Ahead. Buen Camino.
Hola Sandra. Gréât to hear you’re on your Way. Hope it’s all you hope for and more … let’s have a coffee when you return. Buen camino 😎

Today was what is considered by most is the most difficult day. My group breezed right through it. The weather was perfect, cool with a little bit of mist.. The views were beautiful as always. My mistake was starting so early. We had to be out of our rooms by 8 AM and I failed to see that we could not check into Borda until 2:30 PM. So the group spent many hours at Orisson.

Borda is a beautiful Gite that is run like a tight ship. I really like it and I’m looking forward to dinner and breakfast here. I haven’t decided if I will walk tomorrow. My back is bothering me. It will depend on the weather. It’s looking to be about 50% rain so I’m just going to wait till morning to make a decision.
Annie,
Thanks for your update. Your group is so lucky to have you as their guide. Do take care tomorrow. Enjoy your dinner tonight. Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I was in SJPP last week Monday and Tuesday at Gite Izaxulo and the owner Joseph was a super nice guy , did not have any problems with leaving the luggage or staying late when I was not walking., same with the owner in Borda, Laurent , such a helpful and very nice person. Had great time. Not so much walking the Pyrenees.
Im in Puente La Raina after two days in Pamplona, stay at Aloha Hostel, it was pretty good, almost every thing was closed yesterday . I miss visiting the Ernest Hemingway bar , it was closed.
Im in this Albergue Jakue Today , I like this place.
On the way here the path was pretty full of pilgrims.
Hope all will turn out well to all the pilgrims.
Cheers to all ,
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I encourage anyone to use booking.com to book ahead. Reasonable prices are available, especially if rooms and costs are shared.

We are in Estella tonight. My travel friend has had some knee issues so we have been taking it very slow. We omitted SSPDP and began in Pomplona in the 29th. We spent last night in Lorca at La bodega del Camino. Michael was fabulous and so kind and helpful with what to do with Brenda’s knee. We stopped at a great pharmacia in Villatuerta where the pharmist’s son began his first day. We were his first examples. 😀. She (the pharmacist is retiring in a few months). I am remembering my spanish and she and I were able to communicate well. What a blessing this whole camino experience has been so far. Incredible people from everywhere. Everyone has been so kind. It is humbling and such an example of our potential.

I will agree about booking ahead. We are heading to Los Arcos tomorrow and we had to call several places before finding one that was not full. Also booked ahead for Torres del Rio. We are also having to transport some of our things so that there is less weight for B to carry. They have been great in transporting and helping.

Even the best laid plans, we have had the best of times on this journey. Our families have been so supportive with our pilgrimage.

Thanks Annie, for your information and obvious knowledge on the CF. I start next Monday from SJPDP and have pre booked accommodation to Pamplona. I am very happy now I did. I also get a sore back especially downhill, hopefully taking it slowly will help and using hiking poles. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Annie, for your information and obvious knowledge on the CF. I start next Monday from SJPDP and have pre booked accommodation to Pamplona. I am very happy now I did. I also get a sore back especially downhill, hopefully taking it slowly will help and using hiking poles. Buen Camino
And you can always send your bag ahead.

We are also staying at Borda. I plan to have a leisurely breakfast at our hotel, do some snack shopping and then head up the hill!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Annie,
Thanks so much for the updates! I still have a few months until my Camino Frances begins. But I've already followed your advice and booked my first night in SJPP as well as the next nights at Borda and then in Roncesvalles. Did Caminofácil work well for luggage transfer to and from Borda?

I'm still deciding where to stay after that so I'd be very interested to hear of the accommodations situation from Roncesvalles to and including Pamplona.

Buen Camino!

I was in SJPP last week Monday and Tuesday at Gite Izaxulo and the owner Joseph was a super nice guy , did not have any problems with leaving the luggage or staying late when I was not walking., same with the owner in Borda, Laurent , such a helpful and very nice person. Had great time. Not so much walking the Pyrenees.
Im in Puente La Raina after two days in Pamplona, stay at Aloha Hostel, it was pretty good, almost every thing was closed yesterday . I miss visiting the Ernest Hemingway bar , it was closed.
Im in this Albergue Jakue Today , I like this place.
On the way here the path was pretty full of pilgrims.
Hope all will turn out well to all the pilgrims.
Cheers to all
How is Albergue Jakue? I will be staying there soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all this information - we are leaving UK today for Biarritz - booked first 3 mights / and will stay that way I think. 🤞😊👣👣👣💕

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi Annie

If you are at Bordoa in 3/5 I will finally get to meet you

Larry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

It is busy and so far for me, it's cold. I set off from St Jean on Apr 16, am currently in Castrojeriz. Walking has been cold, wet and muddy. Had a beautiful sunny rest day in Burgos. Albergues have been full, hence I am booking a couple of days in advance. So glad I brought winter gear, have I said it's been wet and cold. Very windy today, took the temp down even more. Even so, loving every minute of my first Camino.

Things have changed a lot at Roncesvalles. Now when you come you must get in a Line and get a colored tag before you are allowed to go inside. There are yellow, green, red, blue, and black I believe. Then they call a color such as red and all the people with red go get in the line. I’m not sure why they’re doing this but it seems to work OK except for many of the people coming in don’t understand that they need to get into the line. You have to get an a line even if you have reservations. They used to ask you which restaurant you wanted to eat at, but nobody asked they just handed me papers that told my group to go to La Posada. That was actually OK because that’s where we wanted to eat. I am staying in Casa Sabina tonight. It’s very nice here. I like the room and there’s heat in the bathroom which is good and the food here is very good. It’s going to rain tomorrow on our way to Zubiri so I’m a little concerned because I don’t want any of my pilgrims to fall. We learned that there is a bus that leaves Roncesvalles at 10 minutes after nine to go to Zubiri in case anybody wants to take the bus. I guess that’s all to report . Lots of pilgrims.

I do have a question. When I walked into Burgette today to go to the bank it appeared that most if not all of the restaurants before the bank and before the turn off onto the Camino were closed. Can anyone tell me if there’s any place open for breakfast after Roncesvalles decide that very first restaurant that is across the street from the grocery market. Thanks a lot

Dear Annie,
Thanks so much for the updates! I still have a few months until my Camino Frances begins. But I've already followed your advice and booked my first night in SJPP as well as the next nights at Borda and then in Roncesvalles. Did Caminofácil work well for luggage transfer to and from Borda?

I'm still deciding where to stay after that so I'd be very interested to hear of the accommodations situation from Roncesvalles to and including Pamplona.

Buen Camino!
I use Caminofacil after Roncesvalles or rather from Roncesvalles. Before that from SJPP up to Roncesvalles, including to Borda, I used express Bourricot. They did fine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Things have changed a lot at Roncesvalles. Now when you come you must get in a Line and get a colored tag before you are allowed to go inside. There are yellow, green, red, blue, and black I believe. Then they call a color such as red and all the people with red go get in the line. I’m not sure why they’re doing this but it seems to work OK except for many of the people coming in don’t understand that they need to get into the line. You have to get an a line even if you have reservations. They used to ask you which restaurant you wanted to eat at, but nobody asked they just handed me papers that told my group to go to La Posada. That was actually OK because that’s where we wanted to eat. I am staying in Casa Sabina tonight. It’s very nice here. I like the room and there’s heat in the bathroom which is good and the food here is very good. It’s going to rain tomorrow on our way to Zubiri so I’m a little concerned because I don’t want any of my pilgrims to fall. We learned that there is a bus that leaves Roncesvalles at 10 minutes after nine to go to Zubiri in case anybody wants to take the bus. I guess that’s all to report . Lots of pilgrims.

I do have a question. When I walked into Burgette today to go to the bank it appeared that most if not all of the restaurants before the bank and before the turn off onto the Camino were closed. Can anyone tell me if there’s any place open for breakfast after Roncesvalles decide that very first restaurant that is across the street from the grocery market. Thanks a lot
Annie, I walked the Frances last August, after leaving Roncesvalles there was a bar serving breakfast (excellent Tortilla) in Burguete, you will walk directly infront of the bar. It's located after you exit the short wooded walk after you leave Roncesvalles.

The Pilgrim Mass at Roncesvalles was especially meaningful to me tonight. When the priest read the nationalities of the pilgrims who had checked in today, it just went on and on and on. There were pilgrims from all of the world on the Camino today. There were five priests attending. In the past, some of the Mass has been in English but tonight it was all in Spanish and though I only understood portions of it, it touched me.

I suppose I am a bit of a pantheist, because I believe God is in everything and everyone, and everything and everyone is in God. I can go to any church, any ritual, or just be out in nature alone, and I can find God.

In one part of the Mass, they turned off the lights and shone a light on the Mother. I need Her loving touch in my life right now, and I pray She will be with me on this Camino. It has been a rough two years for so many people, myself included, and I continue to work on my brokenness. I have much to learn and correct in myself.

The idea that people of all faiths, and those without, can come together in this beautiful ritual, without judgement or hate gives me peace. It gives me hope.

May all of you wonderful pilgrims be blessed with love, understanding, and compassion for each other. And may you have a Buen Camino!
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Pilgrim Mass at Roncesvalles was especially meaningful to me tonight. When the priest read the nationalities of the pilgrims who had checked in today, it just went on and on and on. There were pilgrims from all of the world on the Camino today. There were five priests attending. In the past, some of the Mass has been in English but tonight it was all in Spanish and though I only understood portions of it, it touched me.

I suppose I am a bit of a pantheist, because I believe God is in everything and everyone, and everything and everyone is in God. I can go to any church, any ritual, or just be out in nature alone, and I can find God.

In one part of the Mass, they turned off the lights and shone a light on the Mother. I need Her loving touch in my life right now, and I pray She will be with me on this Camino. It has been a rough two years for so many people, myself included, and I continue to work on my brokenness. I have much to learn and correct in myself.

The idea that people of all faiths, and those without, can come together in this beautiful ritual, without judgement or hate gives me peace. It gives me hope.

May all of you wonderful pilgrims be blessed with love, understanding, and compassion for each other. And may you have a Buen Camino!
Annie
Thank you Annie. The Mother you mention is the official Patroness of Navarra. It is possible this is why Navarra is so dear to the hearts of many.

Things have changed a lot at Roncesvalles. Now when you come you must get in a Line and get a colored tag before you are allowed to go inside. There are yellow, green, red, blue, and black I believe. Then they call a color such as red and all the people with red go get in the line. I’m not sure why they’re doing this but it seems to work OK except for many of the people coming in don’t understand that they need to get into the line. You have to get an a line even if you have reservations.
At the moment it is very, very busy on the Camino. In Roncesvalles we have full house every day and many, many reservations. Everybody, reservation or not, has to wait on his turn, as the check-in takes time.
We have been working with the 'coloured tags' system already for years; we use it when it is very busy and people come in by tens at once. It has specially been developed to avoid tired pilgrims standing in a row for more than an hour when it is very busy. Back in the days we did not work with this system pilgrims fainted while waiting, and of course we want to avoid that! Now, with the coloured tags, people can relax, sit in the courtyard when the weather permits, or we let them sit and wait in our dining-room when it rains or when it is too cold; last April when we had knee-high snow we gave them a cup of tea while they were waiting. During the waiting time people can use the toilet, can fill theiur waterbottle, can buy a drink or a snack from our vending machines, can use our wifi to tell the people at home that they have safely arrived.

Walking a camino during a very busy period (which is the beginning of May and the first two weeks of September) is a choice people make themselves. We, hospitaleros, can only try to make everybody as comfortable as possible, but when hundreds of pilgrims arrive in a very short time, we cannot break iron with our hands ....

Good to hear that even with the whole Mass in Spanish it touched you!
The only priest that can speak English (Don Jesús Labiano) is 95 years old now. Sometimes he still attends the Mass but only in the background. The other priests do not speak English, though there is one priest who speaks very good French. And of course they can all speak Basque ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking a camino during a very busy period (which is the beginning of May and the first two weeks of September) is a choice people make themselves. We, hospitaleros, can only try to make everybody as comfortable as possible, but when hundreds of pilgrims arrive in a very short time, we cannot break iron with our hands ....
You a do such an incredble job, @Ianinam.
Heartfelt thanks. I still vividly remember being so touched by the caritas I felt when ariving there the first time, one day in early March. I can't imagine May, or September.
Gracias, gracias.
May you only have grateful and flexible pilgrims!

We have had several “live” threads recently that have been peppered with responses that fall into one of these categories: “I told you so” or “You shouldn’t do it that way,” or “If you don’t like the way things are on the Camino, go somewhere else, like Disneyland.”

That type of response isn’t charitable, it isn’t helpful, and it doesn’t fall into any definition of “spirit of the camino” that I can conjure up.

If a forum member feels that the camino police are always looking over his or her shoulder, we are not creating a very welcoming environment, so please try to keep that in mind.

all right
all y'all (yup - thats the proper plural of y'all ;)) scared me enough that I just extended my reservations(existing in SJPdP, Orison & Roncesvalles) to Zubiri &Pamplona
The Camino May Provide but better safe than sorry (plus another great axiom is God Helps those who help themselves, no? :rolleyes:)

€60,-
The walk into Zubiri today was good. You could not ask for better weather. We were prepared for rain but grateful that it did not happen. I was surprised that many of the places I’m used to stopping for coffee in Burgette were closed. However there was a wonderful place in Espanol for breakfast and also the little bar at Viskarret was open. I was so happy that it did not rain. The path is even more washed out than I’ve ever seen it before with some very deep scars as much is 12 inches deep in some places. If you plan on walking this section I strongly suggest you stop at the road that you cross with the bus/bar and rest. Maybe eat something and drink something and take 15 or 20 minutes to rest before you attempt the last 4.2 km. Also if it is raining, I would strongly suggest you simply get a taxi from Viscarret because it really is crazy dangerous in my opinion for anyone who is not in prime shape. It’s just not worth breaking an ankle or a wrist. When it is wet those rocks are slippery as snot, pardon the expression. The chicken Asada place in Zubiri is no longer open. We had difficulty finding a Pilgrim menu that wasn’t complete. My group managed to book a meal at Palo Avellano. I found a pilgrim meal at the sports Center that was quite good for €12.50. Sorry about the punctuation but I’m talking to my phone. I’m sleeping tonight at Casa Suseia. It is beautiful, clean, and Sara is a lovely hostess. She is cooking what looks to be like a wonderful dinner for everyone. However I have already eaten. I would highly recommend this place but you must book ahead. I would also recommend Pension Amets. I have stayed there for years and love the owner, José. I guess that’s about all for now. Tomorrow I have to be in Pamplona early because the office where I have booked my apartment closes at 2 PM, which is crazy to me. I haven’t decided if I will walk partway and then take a taxi or if I will just nab the morning bus here which leaves for Pamplona around 10 minutes after nine. If my back is still hurting I may just choose the first. OK Pilgrims. More later.

PS. If you want to see photos you can see them at my blog at caminosantiago2.blogspot.com

The walk into Zubiri today was good. You could not ask for better weather. We were prepared for rain but grateful that it did not happen. I was surprised that many of the places I’m used to stopping for coffee in Burgette were closed. However there was a wonderful place in Espanol for breakfast and also the little bar at Viskarret was open. I was so happy that it did not rain. The path is even more washed out than I’ve ever seen it before with some very deep scars as much is 12 inches deep in some places. If you plan on walking this section I strongly suggest you stop at the road that you cross with the bus/bar and rest. Maybe eat something and drink something and take 15 or 20 minutes to rest before you attempt the last 4.2 km. Also if it is raining, I would strongly suggest you simply get a taxi from Viscarret because it really is crazy dangerous in my opinion for anyone who is not in prime shape. It’s just not worth breaking an ankle or a wrist. When it is wet those rocks are slippery as snot, pardon the expression. The chicken Asada place in Zubiri is no longer open. We had difficulty finding a Pilgrim menu that wasn’t complete. My group managed to book a meal at Palo Avellano. I found a pilgrim meal at the sports Center that was quite good for €12.50. Sorry about the punctuation but I’m talking to my phone. I’m sleeping tonight at Casa Suseia. It is beautiful, clean, and Sara is a lovely hostess. She is cooking what looks to be like a wonderful dinner for everyone. However I have already eaten. I would highly recommend this place but you must book ahead. I would also recommend Pension Amets. I have stayed there for years and love the owner, José. I guess that’s about all for now. Tomorrow I have to be in Pamplona early because the office where I have booked my apartment closes at 2 PM, which is crazy to me. I haven’t decided if I will walk partway and then take a taxi or if I will just nab the morning bus here which leaves for Pamplona around 10 minutes after nine. If my back is still hurting I may just choose the first. OK Pilgrims. More later.

PS. If you want to see photos you can see them at my blog at caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
Thank you for pointing out that the path was the worst you've seen. I was totally unprepared and wondered why I'd not been warned. Husband and I made it but those last K's took us 4 hours! I was ready to quit. Today we'll take it slow.

as I have many times stated my opinion I have never booked or carried a cell phone in all my Caminos and will be doing my twelfth and have always had a place to stay. For me, the spirit of the Camino consists In throwing caution to the wind and leaving it to when I arrive the Lord will provide. Buen Camino everyone.
Yes Nathaniel. As you’ve said.
Several times, as you state.
But this is a live thread about MY Camino

How about this:
You do you and I’ll do me and we will both have a Buen Camino! 😊

€149,-
Today I had to check my group into accommodation early (by 2 pm) So I walked to Larrasoaña and caught the bus to Pamplona from there. 9:30 bus. The stop is across from this building. Not marked.

The skies are clear. The trail is much easier. Looking forward to a full stage tomorrow though I’m sure to get the kilometers in while in town.

Attachments

• 66A5FF3B-5E99-4D3D-87F2-46A3F101F19D.jpeg
    66A5FF3B-5E99-4D3D-87F2-46A3F101F19D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
as I have many times stated my opinion I have never booked or carried a cell phone in all my Caminos and will be doing my twelfth and have always had a place to stay. For me, the spirit of the Camino consists In throwing caution to the wind and leaving it to when I arrive the Lord will provide. Buen Camino everyone.

Just yesterday (see post #44 above), I asked people to PLEASE resist the urge to add criticisms, unrelated comments, judgments, etc. that detact from the “flow” of these live theads. I’ve gotten several PMs from members who are frustrated to see that this hopefully respectful request has gone unheeded.

I know that normal conversational flow produces a lot of off-topic comments and that live threads give members the opportunity to remember, reflect, and comment on their own caminos, so I am not asking for a rigorous linearity. But PLEASE do not use someone else’s live thread as an opportunity to insert your own disagreement or judgment.

Annie and others who post “live” posts are writing to share their experiences with us and help with clearing up concerns for those walking soon. They are not doing it to provoke debate over the same-old, same-old hot button topics.

Today I had to check my group into accommodation early (by 2 pm) So I walked to Larrasoaña and caught the bus to Pamplona from there. 9:30 bus. The stop is across from this building. Not marked.

The skies are clear. The trail is much easier. Looking forward to a full stage tomorrow though I’m sure to get the kilometers in while in town.

Sorry if this is already mentioned before but are the people in your group all first timers on the Francés?
Hope they are doing well!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After some discussion with Annie, I am going to go back through the thread and delete a few more of the posts that have devolved into off-topic bickering. If I delete one of your non-argumentative threads, please do not be insulted. I just want to try to get this thread back on track. As I said in my earlier comments, it is not that we are trying to keep these threads rigid and unspontaneous and unnatural— we recognize that lots of tangents will pop up, frequently from members who remember a particular spot or want to recount a memory from a place where Annie has walked or is going to walk. But we just don’t want endless bickering over topics that have nothing to do with Annie’s camino.

Sorry if this is already mentioned before but are the people in your group all first timers on the Francés?
Hope they are doing well!
Yes they are all first timers and they are having a ball, although they are pooped! I am too. There are days it’s like herding cats, but I love them and I’m having a great time! And it’s wonderful to be back on the Camino.

Last edited:
At the moment it is very, very busy on the Camino. In Roncesvalles we have full house every day and many, many reservations. Everybody, reservation or not, has to wait on his turn, as the check-in takes time.
We have been working with the 'coloured tags' system already for years; we use it when it is very busy and people come in by tens at once. It has specially been developed to avoid tired pilgrims standing in a row for more than an hour when it is very busy. Back in the days we did not work with this system pilgrims fainted while waiting, and of course we want to avoid that! Now, with the coloured tags, people can relax, sit in the courtyard when the weather permits, or we let them sit and wait in our dining-room when it rains or when it is too cold; last April when we had knee-high snow we gave them a cup of tea while they were waiting. During the waiting time people can use the toilet, can fill theiur waterbottle, can buy a drink or a snack from our vending machines, can use our wifi to tell the people at home that they have safely arrived.

Yes it seemed to work great!
You’re doing a wonderful job under an exceptionally busy Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes they are all first timers and they are having a ball, although they are pooped! I am too. There are days it’s like hurting cats, but I love them and I’m having a great time! And it’s wonderful to be back on the Camino.
You hurt cats? :)
Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Thank you for all the updates.
Enjoy!

Thank you so much Annie,

I’ve been following your live posts as we start from Burgos on the 12th May so I will keep following
who knows but we might even meet you and your group on the way

i got the wind up me last week when I read that ?600 people had left Roncevilles, so off I went and booked for the whole two weeks!!

I’m not winging it anywhere and we are too old to sleep in the church porch!

We will miss a few stages but hope to get to Portomarine for the bus on the 24th
Apart from Fromista, there was no problem in booking.

There is another live post re the walking numbers so I will probably post on that without trying to frighten anyone
Best wishes
Annette

I encourage anyone to use booking.com to book ahead. Reasonable prices are available, especially if rooms and costs are shared.
Booking.com will often show no availability when in fact this is not always the case.
Find the phone number on Gronze and phone the Hostal/Hotel directly.
More often than not they will have availability, and may even be cheaper than the booking.com price where commission has to be paid
Last week this happened with 3 different Hostals I was looking at

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I was just thinking about you and deliberately just logged on to Ivar's forum to see if there was any updates as I knew you were starting at the begining of May. I am19 days behind you. So you had reserved a room at Casa Sabina but you still had to get in line in Roncesvalles. Where did you head to when you first arrived in Roncesvalles? I have also reserved a room in Casa Sabina and thought that all I had to do was turn up at their front door.

I was just thinking about you and deliberately just logged on to Ivar's forum to see if there was any updates as I knew you were starting at the begining of May. I am19 days behind you. So you had reserved a room at Casa Sabina but you still had to get in line in Roncesvalles. Where did you head to when you first arrived in Roncesvalles? I have also reserved a room in Casa Sabina and thought that all I had to do was turn up at their front door.
Hi
I have booked Casa Sabina for 17th May I am also thinking you just turn up at the door as it’s a direct reservation

When you arrive at Roncesvalles you arrive at the back door usually of the Albergue. You need to go through the lobby into the courtyard and across the way to Casa Sabina. If anyone stops you just tell them you’re going to Casa Sabina. You also can walk around. There are only three or four major buildings so there’s no way to get lost

Maybe her group she is leading stayed at the albergue??
When you arrive at Roncesvalles you arrive at the back door usually of the Albergue. You need to go through the lobby into the courtyard and across the way to Casa Sabina. If anyone stops you just tell them you’re going to Casa Sabina. You also can walk around. There are only three or four major buildings so there’s no way to get lost
Do I have to go through there to get to Hotel Roncesvalles?

Maybe her group she is leading stayed at the albergue??

Do I have to go through there to get to Hotel Roncesvalles?
No, you don't have to go through the albergue to get to Hotel Roncesvalles. Roncesvalles is a village with a just a few hotels/bars and the albergue, once you arrive at the village it will be very clear how to find your Hotel.

It ia as @Anniesantiago stated: walking the Camino you arrive at the back door of the albergue. You don't have to go through the entrance hall of the albergue. Standing before that door you turn to the right, then turn left (most of the time you see there the Dutch cars of us, hospitaleros 😉), and again turn to the left, under the gate and then you are in the courtyard. You cross that courtyard and go 'through the hole in the wall'. Then turn left. For the Hotel Roncesvalles you go up the stairs to your right, for Casa Sabina you walk through another gate and there you see Casa Sabina at your right hand. This all takes you only one or two minutes ....

Thank you Annie, loving your updates and your YouTube channel for helping plan my Camino. Buen Camino

We had a spectacular walk to Puente la Reina today. The weather was gorgeous and the trail up was much easier than I remembered it. At Zaraquigui the church was open. You can get a stamp there. Please leave a small donation. They was a small grocery store and a bar open. The walk back down the other side was good. They have put a lot of new rock there so you have to watch your feet, not the scenery, but it is doable. We got to Hostal Jakue and I was happy I had reservations. Many people were turned away. They no longer do the Buffet there in case you’re interested. Instead they have a pilgrim menu for 17,50 E. They also have a six euro breakfast and an 11-year-old breakfast. All three must be paid for in advance. You buy a ticket at the reception desk. I decided to walk down to the Asador where I am having a lovely ensalada mixta and a Hamburguesa after which I am heading to my room to rest. The rest of my group are walking to town to find food. I do have photos of the stage and I will post them on my blog later tonight if you’re interested. Goodnight Pilgrims. 💕

We had a spectacular walk to Puente la Reina today. The weather was gorgeous and the trail up was much easier than I remembered it. At Zaraquigui the church was open. You can get a stamp there. Please leave a small donation. They was a small grocery store and a bar open. The walk back down the other side was good. They have put a lot of new rock there so you have to watch your feet, not the scenery, but it is doable. We got to Hostal Jakue and I was happy I had reservations. Many people were turned away. They no longer do the Buffet there in case you’re interested. Instead they have a pilgrim menu for 17,50 E. They also have a six euro breakfast and an 11-year-old breakfast. All three must be paid for in advance. You buy a ticket at the reception desk. I decided to walk down to the Asador where I am having a lovely ensalada mixta and a Hamburguesa after which I am heading to my room to rest. The rest of my group are walking to town to find food. I do have photos of the stage and I will post them on my blog later tonight if you’re interested. Goodnight Pilgrims. 💕
Rats! That buffet was memorable!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please take note of what Annie is telling you! Many of us have suggested that people book, the first 3 or 4 nights to at least Pamplona! This is a Holy Year, more pilgrims traveling Post lockdowns..and it is a holiday weekend besides!
In addition, a number cases of omicron 2 have been reported by pilgrims. This is not a time, IMO, to wing it folks.
I can attest to that. I'm in castrojeritz right now - and the numbers of pilgrims are crazy. Completo (albergue full) every where. When I stopped for lunch in Hornillos yesterday everything was completo - I had reservation in an albergue further along so it did'nt bother me. But so many people had to move on. Today the albergues are phoning each other to find beds. So please listen: you need to book ahead.

Took a face plant out of Ciraqui. And all these years I’ve been walking this was the first time I really hurt myself. Got a pretty good skinned knee and leg. Hit my wrist and it’s pretty painful but I don’t think it’s broken. A nice man picked me up and drove me to Estella to a pharmacy where I got a wrist brace. I was going to sleep on the couch tonight but I’m trying to check into Hostal Cristina instead. I think I need a room. The group is having a great time and they’re posting lots of photos so hopefully if they have Internet here I’ll catch up on my blog tonight.

There were two or three bars open in PLR and one in Maneru so there is coffee up ahead for those starting out in PLR.

Take care pilgrims. Walk safe. Annie

Last edited:

€60,-
As I remember it staying at Christina, other than some steps up to the front door, it has a/c and private baths. Enjoy the respite. Hope all is well in the morning. With my gympy foot face plants have become my modus de jour.

The lady where I rented my apartments told me where to go to have my wrist checked so as soon as my pilgrims come in and I get them settled I am going to go over and have it looked at. It’s beginning to ache. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed it is just a sprain

As I remember it staying at Christina, other than some steps up to the front door, it has a/c and private baths. Enjoy the respite. Hope all is well in the morning. With my gympy foot face plants have become my modus de jour.
I had rented Apts at Jurramendi for my group. When I told the manager what happened she put an extra bed in here for me so I did not have to book the room at Christina. I have stayed at Christina before in years past but that was when the old folks owned it.

I had rented Apts at Jurramendi for my group. When I told the manager what happened she put an extra bed in here for me so I did not have to book the room at Christina. I have stayed at Christina before in years past but that was when the old folks owned it.

Sorry indeed to hear about your injured wrist. Get it looked at ASAP. Last year I fell when approaching Burgos and hurt (broke, I learned much later!) my left foot... Played the macho man, never got it checked out. Hobbled on for two more weeks in constant pain. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I remember when I walked with your 2012 group. Stayed at the Christina, and found it very adequate -- and supremely well located next to the Estella town square. When I walked with Syl in 2017 we stayed at a Jurramendi apartment, and found it to be luxurious to the point of decadence.

Last edited:
all right
all y'all (yup - thats the proper plural of y'all ;)) scared me enough that I just extended my reservations(existing in SJPdP, Orison & Roncesvalles) to Zubiri &Pamplona
The Camino May Provide but better safe than sorry (plus another great axiom is God Helps those who help themselves, no? :rolleyes:)
Please remember there are accom not in guides on the web etc in most towns as well - ultreia

I really appreciate your update, Annie! Thanks for your timely report.

€149,-
I went to urgent care and they sent me to the ER for an x-ray. I have a serious sprain thank God, no broken wrist. It hurts like the dickens. They wrapped it up and gave me some pain meds. Looks like I’ll be a taxigrino a lot of this Camino. I can’t hold sticks. I can’t pull on my pants. I can’t tie my shoes and I can’t put on my back. I think I’ll have a good cry and then carry-on. LOL. The folks in my group are so nice and everybody is helping me. I’m sure it will all be better tomorrow.

As far as the walk goes it felt very long to everyone who completed it and they were pretty tuckered out by the time they arrived. There were bars open along the way. And my favorite diner is open here too. The weather is so much nicer now but with the sun comes need to carry a little more water. Be safe pilgrims, Annie

Glad it's not worse than that. You can carry on, I'm sure. You've dealt with much worse. You're tough, Annie! .... There's a place on the Estella plaza mayor where you can get some decent wine, catch your breath, relaxedly soak up the scene, and give thanks for your many blessings. That's my prescription! Your sincere friend, Fr. J

1651950432581.png

I have a serious sprain thank God, no broken wrist. It hurts like the dickens. They wrapped it up and gave me some pain meds.
Oh, phew. At least there is that good news, in spite of it still hurting. May it surprise you in calming down soon.
Looks like I’ll be a taxigrino a lot of this Camino. I can’t ^hold sticks. I can’t pull on my pants. I can’t tie my shoes and I can’t put on my back. I think I’ll have a good cry and then carry-on. LOL.
Does the wrist brace help at all?
Here's some info..

Last edited:
How is Albergue Jakue? I will be staying there soon.
I stayed there few days ago… ( I’m in Najera today ) this is my first Camino and I would recommend to anybody who like to listen,.. Albergue Puertade Najera is super cool, Phillips is very nice guy to talk to, and helpful every way. In my book it is 5 star accommodation, ( have no personal interest in this ) and I will recommend any body to get a place if you need it.

I stayed in Albergue Jakue in Punta La Raina few nights ago , it was also super place to stay , in every forms. Love that place too. It is clean , efficient and helpful, nice breakfast and dinner if you book for it.
Keep well,
Buen camino.

I am so sorry to hear about your fall Annie and I hope that once the initial acute swelling subsides that your wrist becomes less and less tender and more and more workable.

Only a day or so ago you were the "camino angel" selflessly stepping up to aid a pilgrim in need and now it is your turn to benefit from the kindness and compassion of others, both along the trail itself and virtually via the collective well wishes of this forum community.

I had a great night sleep in Estella, despite the partying that went on until four this morning when it stopped on a dime and became eerily silent. Lol! I’ve learned to put in my earplugs, turn up my music, and sleep. I was curious what they were celebrating, however.

My lovely hostess at Apartamentos Jurramendi told me to take my time leaving today. She was my Camino angel yesterday, taking me to the ER. I highly recommend these apartments.

Today I will taxi to Los Arcos and see how I feel tomorrow. My arm is not as painful as yesterday, but I can’t imagine trying to wrestle a backpack, I am having problems pulling up my own pants. An unexpected challenge.

I have ran into several people who have Covid or a weird flu that is going around so take care pilgrims. Wear your mask in crowded places and carry disinfectant for door knobs and light switches. Be vigilant. Buen Camino,
Annie

I had a great night sleep in Estella, despite the partying that went on until four this morning when it stopped on a dime and became eerily silent. Lol! I’ve learned to put in my earplugs, turn up my music, and sleep. I was curious what they were celebrating, however.

My lovely hostess at Apartamentos Jurramendi told me to take my time leaving today. She was my Camino angel yesterday, taking me to the ER. I highly recommend these apartments.

Today I will taxi to Los Arcos and see how I feel tomorrow. My arm is not as painful as yesterday, but I can’t imagine trying to wrestle a backpack, I am having problems pulling up my own pants. An unexpected challenge.

I have ran into several people who have Covid or a weird flu that is going around so take care pilgrims. Wear your mask in crowded places and carry disinfectant for door knobs and light switches. Be vigilant. Buen Camino,
Annie
Best of luck!
(Off topic, I fell and broke 3 fingers back in Sep 2020. I never failed to be surprised by the things I *couldn't* do while they healed. Sweatpants, loose sleeved shirts, and shoes I could slip on ( pre tied) were my friends. And don't get me started on cans, jars, or sealed packages...#%/!)

The group made it to los Arcos today. Half are staying at Casa de la Abuela and half are staying at Apartamentos Jurramendi. Both are places I love. Maggie and I took a taxi here this morning and it wasn’t too expensive considering it was Sunday. In case you don’t know taxis on Saturdays and Sundays are approximately 30% more, according to the driver. We paid €35. And also in case you don’t know if you plan on taxiing from los Arcos to Viana or Lorogño you are going to pay for a taxi to come all the way from Estella so it can be as much as €88.

My plan tomorrow is to catch the bus from los Arcos to Viana. The bus leaves here every day around 11 AM. I believe there is an earlier bus at 8 AM. And it will only be a couple of euros. And then my group has three taxi days so by the end of those five days I should be ready to walk.

Just in case you’re wondering why I can’t walk with a sprained wrist I’m going to give you a too much information alert. The honest to God reason I cannot walk is because if I have to stop and pee somewhere I literally cannot pull up my pants. It takes me about 10 minutes because I have to pull everything up with one hand and adjust it all with one hand and it just is too difficult. It causes too much pain. I cannot pull on anything with my left hand. I am having trouble even tying my shoes. But I’ve walked these routes so many times I don’t feel too bad about missing it. I hope to come back soon and walk again without a group. I just need a few weeks to go at my own pace and do some thinking.

The group split up and walked both the regular Camino and some walked through the forest on the alternative route. The people on the alternative route said it was beautiful and cool so if you’re walking in the heat that is the route I suggest you take. The bar at Luquin was open.

The only place to get any semblance of a meal here is in the Square. None of the restaurants were open. That’s all for now. Annie

Last edited:
The bar at Luquin was open.
We stayed in Luquin after the Dutch muni in Monjardin was full in 2017 (and all other accomodation), although we did not walk the full alternative route to get there. I was disappointed at first to have to "move on" from Monjardin as I had a great experience in 2015, and we were tired after walking all day, but it turned out to be a great experience. The albergue in Luquin was new and we had the whole place to ourselves.😃

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We stayed in Luquin after the Dutch muni in Monjardin was full in 2017 (and all other accomodation), although we did not walk the full alternative route to get there. I was disappointed at first to have to "move on" from Monjardin as I had a great experience in 2015, and we were tired after walking all day, but it turned out to be a great experience. The albergue in Luquin was new and we had the whole place to ourselves.😃
That’s good to know. Sometime I’m going to ask you about it because I might like to stay there next time around

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back