• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from the Camino Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Hola! We made it to Madrid this morning It is a holiday so we ran into a few small glitches, but are otherwise happy to be here and to start walking tomorrow.

We will go to the Church in the morning to get our credentials, then take the Circanius train to Colmanar Viejo to begin the walk. We decided to give ourselves some short days up front, since we haven't trained at all this year.

If anyone wants to follow our journey, see my blog at www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com

The weather is a beautiful 70 degrees!

Hooray!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino Annie savour the journey!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks all! Had a beautiful walk today from Tres Cantos to Colmenar Viejo.

The only tragedy was losing my entire roll of photos for this section to my new iPhone and crappy blogger app!

Otherwise a great day and an exceptional route! See my blog for more. Tomorrow, Manzanares.

Ah, you are back on another camino! Wonderful!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Buen Camino Annie!! No worries about bottom to top format-- it is very common for blogs.

Last edited:
@Anniesantiago
I know it's annoying to loose photos and such, but I'm waiting for your blog posts each day nevertheless :) Many thanks for taking your time to write it!

Have a nice walk!

Tonight we are in Manzanares. Spectacular is the only word to describe the scenery around our hotel. Only one in town. Hotel Yelma. 57 euro for a double. Do have dinner for 15 euro. No taxis. Hotel is 3 k from town. See my blog for lots of photos and details. Tomorrow to cercedillla. Ciao!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tonight we are in Manzanares. Spectacular is the only word to describe the scenery around our hotel. Only one in town. Hotel Yelma. 57 euro for a double. Do have dinner for 15 euro. No taxis. Hotel is 3 k from town. See my blog for lots of photos and details. Tomorrow to cercedillla. Ciao!

Hi, annie,
I'm enjoying your blog! Sounds like the Yelmo is in the same vicinity as the albergue (now closed to pilgrims) on the Pena Sacra. If so, you will find the turnoff on the way back down to town but well before entering town. The Yelmo looks very nice indeed!

Onward to Cercedilla! buen camino, Laurie

So I guess you walked to Cercedilla today? I hope you found time to go in the church of the Natividad de Nuestra Senora in Navacerrada, it really is a lovely little church.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie and Al. Yes. It is the same road. Yelmo was lovely and the scenery is amazing. We saw someone up at the albergue as we were leaving yesterday morning. Maybe a caretaker? We heard it is closed because the gov't refuses to fund it. You and Al must be walking machines! Or more likely I'm in horrible fat shape because yesterday was very difficult for me. I am spoiled by bag transport on the Frances maybe. I'm worried about today. 31k sounds like a whole continent to me! Haha! But I'm also looking forward to it. Time to get dressed and out the door. Hobbling,Annie

We walked to Valsain today and Holy Moly! That was a long day. Started about 8 am. Stopped for lunch at the top, maybe half hour to recover from the climb. Directions to Valsain in my blog tomorrow. Made it there about 4:10 pm and caught the 4:30 pm bus right in the Plaza. Many buses from Valsain to Segovia. Took us to estacion de autobuses in Segovia for 1,35 euros. We are happily nested for two days in Hostal Natura up near the Cathedral. Taxi here was 3,50 euros. Booked the room via booking.com for 31,50 euros per day for a double for 2 days. Laundry is done. Feet are up. I'm in for the night. Tomorrow I'll be a tourist.

Wow! Segovia is an awesome place! Saw the Alcazar this morning and the Cathedral this afternoon. The Alcazar was 10 euro for everything, including the tower and an audio guide. The cathedral is free for pilgrims showing a credential.

We had a very tasty Menu del Dia for 10 euros at a restaurant near the Alcazar named Meson Don Jimeno. The owner's sons walked the Camino and they were very happy when we asked for a sello.

Lots of shops here for veggies, fruits, etc. go away from the tourist area for better prices, as usual.

This town will be a sweet memory and was perfect for a rest day.

The other town we wish we had spent two days on was Cercedilla. We were too weary to walk back to town after arriving.

All in all, I would suggest walking straight from Madrid if you aren't in top shape. The first few days will prepare you for the walk over the pass. And the scenery all the way from Tres Cantos has been indescribably magnificent.

If you are walking this route and are short on time, cut days off at the end. Don't miss any of the walk up to Segovia! And better yet, add a few days.

Tomorrow we continue on to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva.

Thanks again to Laurie and Johnnywalker and all who helped us plan this trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Anniesantiago, post: .
"If you are walking this route and are short on time, cut days off at the end. Don't miss any of the walk up to Segovia! And better yet, add a few days."

Yes, that's true. Today I've walked Tres Cantos- Manzanares. The view of Manzanares from the last hill with Pedriza and Yelmo (1) in the background and the lake on the right side was fantastic .
Next stage, probably next week, Manzanares- Cercedilla.

Annie, Buen Camino de Madrid

(1) La Pedriza formes part of the National Park of Sierra de Guadarrama. The Yelmo (helmet) has a way where it is posible to reach the top without rope.

When I go to the Sierra I always see someone running. In fact, once a year there is a "race" Madrid- Segovia in 24h.
I think they follow the Camino de Madrid.
I don´t think it is a good idea for their knees and back running in the Sierra. Probably they won't walk very well when they turn 80.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked around the Navacerrada area a lot and often as not encounter these "machismos". But it is everywhere - last year near the top of the Napoleon trail I was past by a man running up and then saw him and later two women running fast down again!

Hi, @Pelegrin ,

I see you're living in Madrid. I have two questions and if you know something about that it will be much appreciated. Do you have any update on Manzanares albergue or is it still closed? If it's closed I think I'll sleep somewhere outdoor in that case. But will have to buy a sleeping mat in Madrid. Any knowledge of sports shop near Plaza de Espana? Do not worry about later too much since I'll wander about for one day and a half until hitting the road :) Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day!

In Madrid the closest mountain shops that I know to Plaza de España are in c/Ribera de Curtidores (Metro Latina). In this street it's where the famous Rastro Market is located on Sundays.
There are several shops there. I can't recommend one of them in particular. You should visit more than one to compare prices.
Tomorrow I'll call the Manzanares council (now it´s closed) to ask about the albergue.
I'll tell you something.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to the city council the albergue in Manzanares el Real now is closed with no reopening date known.
If I get more information about it, I'll inform you.
Buen camino.

According to the city council the albergue in Manzanares el Real now is closed with no reopening date known.
If I get more information about it, I'll inform you.
Buen camino.
Many thanks!!!
Have a nice day :)

I saw many lovely places on the riverbank to sleep. If I had been alone that would have been my choice!

Today May 9 we are in Nava de la Asuncion. We took a short day to let 3 pilgrims pass us. We are enjoying the solitude. See my blog for photos of the path and albergues.

This isy new favorite route !
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both Santa Maria Teal and Asuncion have lovely albergues, bye. Also, Coca is supposed to be nice. Tomorrow we walk to Coca, see the castle, then probably on to Alcazaren. The weather is HOT in the afternoons. Beautiful!

Hi Annie
Walking CdM September 2014. About how many Pilgrims do you see each day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh my goodness, I just read your blog. Have really only seen 3 other Pilgrims since you started? I plan to walk alone, but may have recruited a friend to go for the CdM section. We'll see!

Hi, @Pelegrin ,

I see you're living in Madrid. I have two questions and if you know something about that it will be much appreciated. Do you have any update on Manzanares albergue or is it still closed? If it's closed I think I'll sleep somewhere outdoor in that case. But will have to buy a sleeping mat in Madrid. Any knowledge of sports shop near Plaza de Espana? Do not worry about later too much since I'll wander about for one day and a half until hitting the road :) Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day!
The best mountain shop I know in Madrid is Barrabes. They have several shops in Madrid but the closest to Plaza de Espana is probably Orense
http://www.barrabes.com/madridorense
There is also a shop in Calle de O'Donnell and Ribera de Curtidores 21, near La Latina.

Today we are in Alcazaran. Another beautiful day and another new sweet albergue. Read my blog if you are coming this route. Many updates to the Confraternity guide. Yesterday in Villaguillo we got lucky and the bar was open no other food there so carry food for that day. Th Albergue has a stove and is quite nice.

Still no other pilgrims. I am loving it!
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino Annie!

Regards from sunny and beautiful Caldas de Reis from another annie

A CAUTION!! The arrows leaving Valdestillas going to Puente Duero are extremely confusing and every pilgrim in the albergue got lost yesterday and walked many kilometers out of the way. When you walk through the village you dead end at the Renfe station. Turn right. Flow arrows to a place you go over a small walking bridge ( to the left then right )

At this point there are mistakes! Be careful. There are clearly arrows indicating you should cross the highway. And when you cross, you see a milario with a big old yellow arrow pointing to a path through the forest that does not look used. Joe walked up that path quite a way and saw no other arrows. In the meantime, I found an arrow on a tree indicating we should walk on a dirt path that eventually skirted the first and train tracks. Again we saw no other arrows. After many long kilometers the path ended and a tinier path took us off to the right to a village called Viana.

From there we had to backtrack on the highway to Puente Duero.

Apparently, there are NEW arrows indicating a path along the highway instead. So do NOT walk through the forest!

I figure we did a good 29-30 k yesterday.

I'm now sitting outside the biblioteca in Simancas where there is free wifi!!

Tomorrow I will veer off to Valladalid to catch a train to Sahagun, then to Pamplona to meet my group.

Next year I will finish both this route and the VDLP. But to date, this has been the most beautiful Camino I have walked since my first one. Highly recommended!
Buen Camino

It's chilly in Sajagun compared to the Madrid route. On my way to Pamplona today. Didn't see many pilgs here last night where is everyone? Maybe I'm 'between waves '

Joe has 15k left on the Madrid route. He will arrive in Sagagun tomorrow. He says it continued to be beautiful, though quite windy for two days. It's been windy here in Pamplona too. I hear there's a small storm brewing.

He sent some photos of the last three days. I'll post them to my blog when I have a chance to hear more next week.

But for now I'd encourage anyone to walk from Madrid - it is a most excellent walk!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Joe has made it to Pamplona and we have some notes to post tomorrow.

But for tonight I thought we had better post one typo we found(among others) on Johnnywalker's narrative is that from Castromonte to Medina de Rioseco is actually FIFTEEN kilometers not FIVE. On the topographical map it show it is 15. But if you are relying on the narrative you might wear yourself out getting there.

Medina is a town worth stopping in. They have plenty of bars, restaurants, markets, bus station, plus the convent is very nice. Many wonderful monuments to see. Museum of Semana Santa is especially good.

Tomorrow we will post notes about some places where the way marking could be improved or is lacking or questionable. Too tired tonight.

A few more notes from the Camino Madrid:

Right before Wamba is a turn to the left. You will see a big iron sculpture of people walking and another of bicigrinos. The walker sculpture is for perigrinos. The bici sculpture is the path for bikes

Way marks are good to penaflor. Two gullies to cross. If you take the cliff path up, at the top is a talking parrot! Lol!

If you go around to the left, it's longer and almost as steep but it is stairs.

If you want to bypass Penaflor, go around to the left of the hill to rejoin the Camino on the other side of town.

There is an albergue across the street from the ayuntamiento.

---
From there 10k to Castromonte. Well marked. Pass a pig farm in an oak grove.

The albergue is on the left right before town. 6 euros. Kitchen with fridge and microwave. In an Old school. To get key, go to Ivan at #15 in town on Main Street. If you have trouble, in church plaza is Bar Carbe. They will help you find Ivan. Very helpful bar. The other is not so helpful. No tienda in town but there is a carneceria that is only open in morning. But if you ring the bell he will open for you.
----
Medina de Rioseca is next. There you find convent. Gate to convent on Main Street is always open. Sisters have hours of silence. Ring bell only from 10-12 am or 4-7 pm.

In inner courtyard, look straight ahead for information sign. 7 euros for a bed. There is a kitchen with stove and fridge.

Full service bus station, restaurants, markets.
---
Past Medina there are very few waymarkers. Leaving Medina you can walk on either side of canal, but the actual Camino is on the left side and is a beautiful walk. 5 k to Tamariz from canal.

Tamariz has no facilities.

Leaving Tamariz walk on carretera VP-4008 for 8 kilometers then one more k on gravel to Cuenca. Total of 9 k from Tamariz to Cuenca.

Cuenca albergue is big, good, 6 euros. Microwave, fridge. No working stove. Two bedrooms with 10 beds each. Phone number is 692-101-109. Just around the corner, next to the ayuntamiento is a tienda open from 10-2 Monday through Friday.
-----
More next post.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another Castromonte note: leaving Castromonte the flechas direct you off the carretera to an abandoned building on the right hand side. When you come to the building, take the LEFT path. Ignore the arrow pointing up the hill.

On that dirt track there are many big green snakes!!
---

The Museu de Semana Santa at Medina is awesome!
---

At Villalon the albergue is at the far end of town. Connected to the church opens at 3 pm. Joe walked through so not sure of cost.
---

Leaving Villalon, the next village is Fontihoyuelo. There are very few flechas. When you come to intersections, keep straight on the path you are on.

From Fontihoyuelo the flechas are few but good. But you have to watch closely. Some are at your feet on canals and they are old and weathered.

---
In Santervas de Campos follow flechas into town to Santerbar, or Albergue. Register at Santerbar. Opens at 3 or 4. Wait at bar. Albergue is 6 euros. 24 beds. No kitchen but there is a microwave.

From Santervas there is some confusion. First, go from albergue back down to carretera where you entered town. Turn left toward a factory. Pass factory. No flechas for two kilometers! Finally a flecha directs you to Melgar de Arriba which goes to the left up the hill. (Albergue there).

BUT. You can bypass that village and go directly to Sahagun via the carretera to the next village, Arenillas de Valderaduey. No facilities there.

When you leave Arnillas, just past the church is a fork with no flechas. If you left on the gravel track I assume that is the Camino. However, Joe went straight along a levy along the river. It was shady, nice but the path was like a deer trail in parts and a little overgrown. But the Camino was all in the sun.

If you stay on the levy it goes to an underpass where there is a carretera. Just past the underpass, if you go right, you will go to Grajal. If you go left it goes directly to Sahagun.

If you go left you walk about 50 yards in the carretera then flechas direct you to a path on the right. Soon after, it forks again. Stay on right hand fork. That takes you right into Sahagun. You enter at the Sanctuario Peregrino, a museum.

You are there!

If you do decide to go to Grajal, you don't have to backtrack. You can follow a path from there to Sahagun and directly to the albergue.

Hi, Annie,
Thanks for all the updates, many peregrinos will benefit from them.

The albergue at Vilallón is run by the Amigos in Valladolid and is donativo. It´s really nice. It was the only time I had my own private hospitalero. He made me lunch, took me for a tour of the town, took me out for a coffee, and then let me buy him dinner in a bar. In the morning he made me breakfast and accompanied me for the first 8 kms!

I experienced the same confusion between Santervás and Grajal de Campos. And after Melgar de Arriba, I had a hard time till I found the path along the canal that Joe also found. Rebekah and I went back to try to clear things up with arrow painting the next day, but apparently we didn´t do a great job. :oops:

I think the problem on this stretch is that there are a lot of arrows put to guide bicycles, and then there´s the walking arrows, and it all gets kind of confusing. I try to avoid road walking like the plague, and there is a nice off-road alternative. Some more explanation in this thread for others who may be walking soon:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/getting-lost-on-camino-de-madrid.15038/

And here are the notes I wrote up when I got home:

Leaving Santervas de Campos, there is a fork and two options. Option 1 is off the road to the left, on a dirt track camino to Melgar de Arriba, very nice, no traffic, pleasant walk. You have to pay attention at intersections, but there are arrows at places where you should turn, otherwise, KSO.
In Melgar de Arriba, leave town, cross the bridge out of town, the church will be in front of you, turn R and go past a few houses. Take a left and go past the cemetery, and then KSO when the road ends and turns into a nice dirt track. This path takes you straight to Arenillas. Right before the town of Arenillas, there's an unmarked fork. Go to the right, it will take you into town. A left turn (which I stupidly did) takes you up to the modern square building connected with the concrete canal you will then have to figure out how to cross.

From Arenillas to Grajal de Campos is all along a canal, very pleasant, no possibility of getting lost.

In Grajal de Campos, camino turns left and over river BEFORE entering town (going into town means leaving the camino, but there is a bar or two and a shop, plus a little plaza and a castle and a palace). In June 2011, there were AVE works here and the signage was bad. After you cross the river, do NOT take the first right along the river, continue on a little further and you will see a mojon taking you to the right and from there straight into Sahagun.
Option 2 from Santervas is to stay on the highway, and that option itself has several options, because you could join up with the camino again at any one of the towns along the highway. You could just stay straight on the highway and go into Sahagun, 14 km on the side of a fairly busy road, or take the highway to Melgar de Arriba and get on the camino there, or stay on the highway a bit further and take it to Arenillas (in other words there is a road option here that you can take to different points on the camino -- to Melgar, to Arenillas, or to Sahagun. I would highly recommend the off-road Camino, that is option 1, it is very pretty and soft surface and no cars).

Still waiting to hear on the opening of the albergue in Grajal de Campos. It will be a great way to break up that long walk from Villalón to Sahagún for those who want to walk further than Santervás or Melgar de Arriba. Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Laurie. Today we go to SJPP with our group and start walking the Frances. It will be good to walk again.

But my favorite now is the Madrid route. Now I have three routes to finish! Lol!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.