• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from the Camino Mozarabe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Catalan, Moz, VdlP, Ingles
Good morning and Happy Easter live from the Camino Mozarabe. I’m currently towards the end of my second week of walking from Almeria, and I’m now halfway between Granada and Cordoba. The conditions over the past two weeks have been almost perfect for walking, beautiful sunny skies, but not yet so hot as to make the task uncomfortable. For any of you considering doing this walk, it is worth knowing that the Camino Mozarabe is much more suitable for more adventurous Peregrinos and Perigrinas, as it involves walking dry riverbeds in the early stages, and quite a lot of hillclimbing. But the payback for the extra effort is undoubtedly the astounding panoramas with breathtaking vistas extending endlessly into the far distance. Views of the Sierra Nevada, Sierra Elvira and the Andalusian Plain are sublime. Accommodation so far has been absolutely amazing, with a network of donativo Albergues, very affordable Casa Rural and private Pensions serving every need. The local association Jacobean has been invaluable in providing all the guidance and up-to-date advice needed to make each stage enjoyable. In Semana Santa, the accommodation fills up quickly, and I was advised to book rooms at least one week ahead, rather than the normal one day ahead. This advice has worked perfectly for me, as I have not experienced any of the problems of my fellow pilgrims who left it a bit too late. I’d be happy to answer any questions from anyone on the forum wanting to benefit from my honest personal experience of the Camino Mozarabe.
I hope to post some later updates, but in the meantime, I’ll let the photos do the talking.

7EE98409-5184-4D71-9BF8-30BD1409B578.jpeg79F1D484-A461-41F9-87E7-2345474E4C93.jpegC1811D5C-0828-4EED-93CC-C7740636B78A.jpeg30636BC2-7372-4056-82B9-888865D94AA9.jpeg230F169D-14C8-413B-9FF3-592569D39BA5.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much for posting! I'm debating this camino for 2024. Please update us on your progress whenever you have time.

Good morning and Happy Easter live from the Camino Mozarabe. I’m currently towards the end of my second week of walking from Almeria, and I’m now halfway between Granada and Cordoba. The conditions over the past two weeks have been almost perfect for walking, beautiful sunny skies, but not yet so hot as to make the task uncomfortable. For any of you considering doing this walk, it is worth knowing that the Camino Mozarabe is much more suitable for more adventurous Peregrinos and Perigrinas, as it involves walking dry riverbeds in the early stages, and quite a lot of hillclimbing. But the payback for the extra effort is undoubtedly the astounding panoramas with breathtaking vistas extending endlessly into the far distance. Views of the Sierra Nevada, Sierra Elvira and the Andalusian Plain are sublime. Accommodation so far has been absolutely amazing, with a network of donativo Albergues, very affordable Casa Rural and private Pensions serving every need. The local association Jacobean has been invaluable in providing all the guidance and up-to-date advice needed to make each stage enjoyable. In Semana Santa, the accommodation fills up quickly, and I was advised to book rooms at least one week ahead, rather than the normal one day ahead. This advice has worked perfectly for me, as I have not experienced any of the problems of my fellow pilgrims who left it a bit too late. I’d be happy to answer any questions from anyone on the forum wanting to benefit from my honest personal experience of the Camino Mozarabe.
I hope to post some later updates, but in the meantime, I’ll let the photos do the talking.

View attachment 122743View attachment 122744View attachment 122745View attachment 122746View attachment 122747
Thanks for posting , I’m starting 2nd May, getting close now.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for posting , I’m starting 2nd May, getting close now.

Buen Camino
I have a tip for you: the dry river beds between Almeria and Abla aren’t dry, and several of us have had difficulty in crossing and re-crossing the streams. The life changer for me was a pair of beach shoes which I brought with me as casual wear in the Albergues. They let the water in and out, but protect the soles of your feet from the stones in the stream. I certainly didn’t bring them for this purpose, but, frankly, I don’t know what I would have done without them.

83D1DC2B-7120-4B58-B332-AEA9E9A7BC18.jpeg7114F313-848D-436E-8EE4-BD9014FCEF1B.jpeg

I have a tip for you: the dry river beds between Almeria and Abla aren’t dry, and several of us have had difficulty in crossing and re-crossing the streams. The life changer for me was a pair of beach shoes which I brought with me as casual wear in the Albergues. They let the water in and out, but protect the soles of your feet from the stones in the stream. I certainly didn’t bring them for this purpose, but, frankly, I don’t know what I would have done without them.View attachment 122833View attachment 122834
Thanks for the info I’ll dig some out, Buen Camino

View attachment 122743View attachment 122744View attachment 122745View attachment 122746View attachment 122747
Hi, thanks for the update, we start from Granada in 4 days. Could you provide a contact for the Jacobean association you mention? that’s assuming it’s not the one based in Almeria. I contacted them and they basically said they would only be involved up to Granada, not past. So glad to hear your positive report! Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, thanks for the update, we start from Granada in 4 days. Could you provide a contact for the Jacobean association you mention? that’s assuming it’s not the one based in Almeria. I contacted them and they basically said they would only be involved up to Granada, not past. So glad to hear your positive report! Thanks!
Hi Lana!
The association is the same one you have mentioned. You are right that they are only responsible up to Granada, but that was sufficient for me. I assume that you have the April Albergue guide from the association with all the contact details of the Albergues and Hostals for the full length of the Mozarabe? I’ve used this list by simply on calling ahead one or two days in advance.
Now that Semana Santa is out of the way, I hope that booking accommodation will become easier. I’m al Alcaudete now, and I’ve had no trouble (so far). If you are fast walkers, you may well catch me up.

Buen Camino!
Adrian

Hi Lana!
The association is the same one you have mentioned. You are right that they are only responsible up to Granada, but that was sufficient for me. I assume that you have the April Albergue guide from the association with all the contact details of the Albergues and Hostals for the full length of the Mozarabe? I’ve used this list by simply on calling ahead one or two days in advance.
Now that Semana Santa is out of the way, I hope that booking accommodation will become easier. I’m al Alcaudete now, and I’ve had no trouble (so far). If you are fast walkers, you may well catch me up.

Buen Camino!
Adrian
Ok thanks very much, Adrian, we do have that info, and Gronze, so it should be fine. We delayed our start until after SSanta to minimize potential issues, glad to hear you’ve managed well so far. As for our walking speed it’s been a pretty leisurely 2 week lead-up to when we actually start so we’ll see!
Buen Camino!
Lana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The second picture in your first post takes my breath away. It’s a perfect encapsulation of the Mozárabe for me — exposed rock on the hills, little villages below, olive groves dotting the landscape, and mountains in the back. All that’s missing is a castle. ;)

Do you have an exact location, @Adrian Harding 65?
Yes, the village below is Olivares. This picture was taken on the lung-bursting climb into Moclin. If you have time, check my Facebook page for a thousand lovely pictures. I’m not taking credit for the loveliness, the countryside gets that credit.

Yes, the village below is Olivares. This picture was taken on the lung-bursting climb into Moclin. If you have time, check my Facebook page for a thousand lovely pictures. I’m not taking credit for the loveliness, the countryside gets that credit.
You mentioned a missing castle….here it is, the castle of Moclin.

Attachments

• 88E31038-8C6D-49F2-B8B8-64263F4ECE88.jpeg
    88E31038-8C6D-49F2-B8B8-64263F4ECE88.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • 336BC5BC-BAF8-4028-B4BD-CE33CC9CAE4B.jpeg
    336BC5BC-BAF8-4028-B4BD-CE33CC9CAE4B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
You mentioned a missing castle….here it is, the castle of Moclin.

Yes, I had the same thought — I was lucky to arrive in Moclín in time to get into the castle. Where did you stay in Moclín? I was in a casa rural a little walk up from the bar, but I am not sure if it’s still listed on Gronze, based on the pictures I see.

So. many great castles on this route, I climbed around them all! Medellín is another one of my favorites, notwithstanding the statue of Hernán Cortés in the square in town. When one of the conquistadores (now called “Descubridores” in Spain) is singled out as being ruthless, you know you are talking about someone with a lot of bloodlust.

Where are you now, @Adrian Harding 65?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I had the same thought — I was lucky to arrive in Moclín in time to get into the castle. Where did you stay in Moclín? I was in a casa rural a little walk up from the bar, but I am not sure if it’s still listed on Gronze, based on the pictures I see.

So. many great castles on this route, I climbed around them all! Medellín is another one of my favorites, notwithstanding the statue of Hernán Cortés in the square in town. When one of the conquistadores (now called “Descubridores” in Spain) is singled out as being ruthless, you know you are talking about someone with a lot of bloodlust.

Where are you now, @Adrian Harding 65?
I stayed in Moclin in Casa Higueral, which you will see covered extensively in my post a couple of days ago. It had a terrace and a swimming pool, and all for $20. The height of rustic luxury for pennies. I’m now in Baena having watched (and heard!) the Easter processions with all the constant drumming. Amazing. I’m now enjoying a beer in the sunshine. Off to Castro del Rio tomorrow.77C415FD-A9EB-4E91-991E-2CC2A10528A5.jpeg

Hi Adrian, glad to hear there's some sunshine and beer in all this too! We have booked the Casa Higueral as well 4 nights hence, so it was nice to hear your + report. We couldn’t find a place in Pinos Puente so will do a bit of backtracking/bussing and stay in Atarfe for our first night walking out of Granada.
On your trail!
Lana

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Adrian, glad to hear there's some sunshine and beer in all this too! We have booked the Casa Higueral as well 4 nights hence, so it was nice to hear your + report. We couldn’t find a place in Pinos Puente so will do a bit of backtracking/bussing and stay in Atarfe for our first night walking out of Granada.
On your trail!
Lana
In Pinos Puente, book yourselves into the Hotel Restaurant Montserrat. Absolutely FANTASTIC and only €20 at the Pilgrim rate. It really is very, very special. Forget about Atarfe, cancel all the bookings you have there, and go to the Montserrat. If you don’t like it, I’ll pay your bill for you.

We tried to reserve there first but they had no room. Definitely would have preferred no to backtrack! But thanks!

Hi Adrian - in an earlier post you mentioned difficulty crossing and recrossing (not) dry riverbeds. If we have appropriate footwear what else makes the crossings difficult? I'll be starting in Almería on Thursday and would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Adrian you rock! You spurred us on to phoning the Montserrat instead of believing the booking site, and were able to get a room. Getting reminded of lessons learned on previous caminos!

Hi Adrian - in an earlier post you mentioned difficulty crossing and recrossing (not) dry riverbeds. If we have appropriate footwear what else makes the crossings difficult? I'll be starting in Almería on Thursday and would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Everyone I spoke to just found it tiring, as did I. Walking, zig-zagging, on soft wet riverbeds is far more exhausting than walking on dry dirt tracks. There’s nothing you can do about it, it just takes more effort and time. Your walking boots or trail runners are not suitable for this task, as they will be soaked and give you blisters. That’s why I’m recommending shoes that are made for wet conditions but are firm enough to protect your feet. I’ve seen YouTube films showing people doing it in bare feet or flip-flops, but I can’t recommend either of these. Once you have got to Abla, the problem disappears. Don’t worry, though, it will still be a very enjoyable Camino. I love the fact that you are called “pink wading bird”. Maybe you are ideally suited to the challenge!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You won’t regret it. But I’m now withdrawing my offer to pay your bill.View attachment 122982View attachment 122983View attachment 122984
One further thought is to take care in finding the route out of Pinos Puente. You walk for about 2km on the highway (or on a minor road parallel to it, it makes no difference) and then take a right turn to follow a river to Bucor and Olivares. I got that right turn wrong and ended up on the wrong side of the river, walking through wet crops and ending up with wet shoes and socks - the great enemies of Camino walkers. There was a path with two xx showing not to take that, but I couldn’t find the yellow arrow showing which way I should have gone. Obviously, I got it wrong, so I don’t have a solution for you, but please try to avoid making the same mistake that I did. So, take special care choosing the right turn out of the built-up area of Pinos Puente.

Everyone I spoke to just found it tiring, as did I. Walking, zig-zagging, on soft wet riverbeds is far more exhausting than walking on dry dirt tracks. There’s nothing you can do about it, it just takes more effort and time. Your walking boots or trail runners are not suitable for this task, as they will be soaked and give you blisters. That’s why I’m recommending shoes that are made for wet conditions but are firm enough to protect your feet. I’ve seen YouTube films showing people doing it in bare feet or flip-flops, but I can’t recommend either of these. Once you have got to Abla, the problem disappears. Don’t worry, though, it will still be a very enjoyable Camino. I love the fact that you are called “pink wading bird”. Maybe you are ideally suited to the challenge!
Thanks for your reply. Didn't even think about my Camino name relative to river walking until you pointed it out. Looking forward to the adventure however it unfolds.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Adrian, this is Doris and Simon, we shared some wonderful Camino time on the Mozarabe and enjoy following your “ live”.

I hope the dry river bed might be drier now! We spent 8 hours on a 19 km stretch spending the time trying to find spots with stepping stones to jump over the little streams, Your wet shoe is definitely an asset there!
Buen Camino!

I hope the dry river bed might be drier now! We spent 8 hours on a 19 km stretch spending the time trying to find spots with stepping stones to jump over the little streams, Your wet shoe is definitely an asset there!
Buen Camino!
In mid-April 2018, it was hard to imagine that there was ever water in that river!

Hello,
My husband and I walked the Camino Mozarabe from Granada to Merida a few years ago and plan to walk from Almeria to Granada next April leaving around the 1st. Your post was very helpful as it matches your time frame. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Almost live from the Camino… we are in Córdoba after walking from Granada. We fully expected to do a lot more navigating on this trail. But when we started off it was apparent that the yellow arrows were in good supply. That is until the Alcala La Real to Alcaudete stretch, about a third of the way on, we ended up having to walk down a section of the N432a highway without guardrails, no shoulder, and traffic. We thought we had obeyed an arrow but ? Also some conflicting arrows leaving Castro del Rio, but other than that, all good.

Also the information from the Jacobean Association of Almeria’s newsletter was terrific. The only thing missing on the trail were pilgrims - we only met 2 others in our 8 days.

I agree. In general, the sign marking is fantastic. However, there are odd occasions when you get five arrows passing through a tunnel, when there are no alternatives, and none at a T-junction when you have a decision to make. Usually, common sense prevails. As a general comment, when you get into Extremadura, the stencil arrows are tiny, and many have worn away or faded to white, so you do have to keep your wits about you after Monterrubio de la Serena.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
However, there are odd occasions when you get five arrows passing through a tunnel, when there are no alternatives, and none at a T-junction when you have a decision to make.
I remember this vividly. 😂 My husband and and I still laugh about it to this day! A whole lots of signs when there was literally nowhere else to go. And then the T junction with nothing. We were lucky to be walking together. One of us went left and the other right until we found a sign / arrow. And then called out to the other. Maybe we didn’t have enough common sense - to instinctively know which way to go. Perhaps we were scarred by an experience a day or two earlier when we got hopelessly lost in an olive grove! And ended up making our way down to the road. But generally the Mozarabe was v well marked, back in 2015. 😎

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back