• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from the Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day 3 done & in Pamplona. Weather is rough & trails muddy. Hoping 4 a weather break soon.
Thats a pity i was there easter sunday and weather was nice,even though we had a snow day before that, looks like not much of an improvement till sunday

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day 3 done & in Pamplona. Weather is rough & trails muddy. Hoping 4 a weather break soon.
I feel for you. When I walked the Spring of 2013 we were blessed with not too much rain but still enough to make for some muddy trails. I much prefer the Fall. I hope it lets up soon but I fear it's going to be a wet, wet 2018 Spring.
Hang in there and don't stop walking. :)

Left Pamplona Monday morning and it has been rain, some sleet, icy winds and enough mud to make a cow yard look normal. Now in Estella and it looks like staying this way for a few more days at least. Adds to the experience . I'm travelling alone it's become quite lonely as I don't seem to run into other English speakers - yet

@Sporkie Some of my favorite memories are from the rainy days and having to overcome the different obstacles that came with the rain. Be safe out there and have a great time! You can always shorten the walking on rainy days and make up time later. Buen camino.
hi, I believe you but living in a countey with 300 days rain you wish for sun...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
leaving Thursday from SJPDP this crushes the moral a bit
If it keeps raining, when you get to Roncesvalles take the road all the was to espinal. The trails are washed out and the last river crossing before espinal is washed out and extremely dangerous. A number of people, myself included, went in and had to be rescued by fellow pilgrims

Mack walk faster I’m just ahead of you. I pulled a muscle? In left knee with this mud so im slow and walking by myself too. It’s making for an interesting camino. I’m kinda missing Houston about now. —- ok not really. But it is a bit of a damper so much mud sucking boots*$&@l.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm reading on Wunderground that today the temperature in Burgos dropped to -8 degrees overnight, that it is now 8 degrees and it is raining. I think the bus sounds like a good place to be!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm reading on Wunderground that today the temperature in Burgos dropped to -8 degrees overnight, that it is now 8 degrees and it is raining. I think the bus sounds like a good place to be!
lol I walked from Rabanal to Acebo today. It was COLD with loads of snow on the ground. I have another 15 days to do the last 9 stages. I am loving this Camino, but it is a very cold, wet Spring. I reckon the temperature was -4 or so at the Cruz Ferros.

Good afternoon pilgrims, my husband and I are walking the Via Francigena at this time. The trail is muddy, slippery, and very wet! Today is the. First in 7 days that we have seen a pilgrim. We are no longer walking the trail and only roads. Our boots collected about a pound of mud with each step! That makes for a long day. Last year at this exact time we walked the CF and had amazing weather. We were hoping for the same this year!
Keep Moving!
Juju

La

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it keeps raining, when you get to Roncesvalles take the road all the was to espinal. The trails are washed out and the last river crossing before espinal is washed out and extremely dangerous. A number of people, myself included, went in and had to be rescued by fellow pilgrims
Wow, that's crazy... But guess I need to get ready for rain and wind. I did see that Monday the weather around Pamplona picks up (22°/26°/23°C). So hopefully that can be a moral booster for both of us.

Richard and I have just spent 2 wet cold days in St Jean. Have been advised to take Valcarlos route as Napoleon is unsafe. Leaving tomorrow for Valcarlos raining or not, should be interesting. The weather is supposed to improve in a few days giving us chance to dry out. Might run into you along the way Sporkie. Buen Camino. Linda.

I got news today that one of the walls around the garden in Zabaldika has collapsed. A very old wall. At least it would not have damaged anybody, as it is on the periphery of the garden, facing the church. All you out there on the Camino Frances, we're with you, albeit from the comfort of wherever our hones are...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Richard and I have just spent 2 wet cold days in St Jean. Have been advised to take Valcarlos route as Napoleon is unsafe. Leaving tomorrow for Valcarlos raining or not, should be interesting. The weather is supposed to improve in a few days giving us chance to dry out. Might run into you along the way Sporkie. Buen Camino. Linda.
Yes, ill be a day behind you guys. And correct from what I can see online and on TV Monday until Thursday the weather around Pamplona will get better for some days.

I was not expecting Napoleon to be open as Spain is suffering from the worst April in years from what I've seen online.

If you have Wi-Fi and time I would not mind a update from you guys tomorrow. So I know what I'm in for. And yes hopefully we meet on the way

Did St Jean to Roncesvalles today. Weather really wet and paths mucky. Tomorrow not to be much better. Never seen as many wet clothes at one time before in an albergue. Roll on some sunshine.

In Logrono tonight. it has been tough as has been noted: cold, wet, and windy. I am walking alone but fortunately have met some great folks which has made all the difference and have stayed in some great albergue's embracing the Camino spirit of love. The sun is supposed to come out on Saturday for about a week. YAY!! Buen Camino mi amigos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I managed to dip up to my waist today leaving Zubiri. Not a pleasant day. I think it's better to follow the road out of Zubiri for a few km''s.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eek... I'm starting from Burgos on Tuesday morning... The forecast is currently for sun for at least my first three days... I hope so as I hate sticky mud.

Stay safe everyone!

I managed to dip up to my waist today leaving Zubiri. Not a pleasant day. I think it's better to follow the road out of Zubiri for a few km''s.
After reading about some of the river rescues, I was wondering about the walk along the creek after Zubiri. I got my answer. Thank you Mr. Fungus.
I am amazed that no one has mentioned the snow we had in May 2013? or so. It snowed and rained until the beginning of June. So why are pilgrims expecting spring conditions in the Pyrenees in April of 2018? It's crazy.

Eek... I'm starting from Burgos on Tuesday morning... The forecast is currently for sun for at least my first three days... I hope so as I hate sticky mud.

Stay safe everyone!

Hope the ground dries out for you - I recall the mud around Hornillos and Hontanas being the particularly sticky heavy type. With every footfall picking up an extra kilo of weight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry folks, but there is nothing special about the weather odds during this and next month. Be prepared and inform yourselves in time at the place where you are staying for the next few days. Remember that even if it will not rain (or snow), rivers can still be overflowing and paths excessively muddy. Otherwise Ultreya !

I fell hands first in cold wet mud climbing from Rabanal to the Iron Cross. My gloves were wet so I hung them on my pack and after climbing into the cold I had to stop and find my spare socks to wear as gloves. Pilgrims might want to have spare socks in a handy place rather than in the bottom of your pack. Those socks did a great job. My gloves are now washed and dried.
I also stuck to roads when the tracks get steep, slippery and dangerous.
Buen Camino!

I am arriving in St Jean today and was going to take the alternate route tomorrow morning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, ill be a day behind you guys. And correct from what I can see online and on TV Monday until Thursday the weather around Pamplona will get better for some days.

I was not expecting Napoleon to be open as Spain is suffering from the worst April in years from what I've seen online.

If you have Wi-Fi and time I would not mind a update from you guys tomorrow. So I know what I'm in for. And yes hopefully we meet on the way
Thursday 12th April, We left this morning in rain and it didn’t stop until Valcarlos. The sun is shining slightly tonight. Forecast for more rain tomorrow. People were using the Napoleon this morning, there was supposed to be snow on the top. Another wonderful day on the Camino raining or not. Roll on some dry weather. Linda.

I would be taking the bus to Pamplona! :);)
There is another Camino thread that I follow and the photos (12/4) of water closing in on the N135 are amazing, the Camino between Zubiri and Pamplona and on the other side of Puenta la Reina is underwater.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm currently in Roncesvalles getting ready for Zubiri. The Valcarlos way was ok if you stick to the road but when you get of the road it was 1 mud pool and for many people very hard to get uphill the last 3km. I was wondering if these kind of dirt roads lay before us tomorrow as well ? I remember also someone telling about a river crossing that could not be taken.

I don’t know about mud but the trail to Zubiri is partially on rock bed and it can be slippery as snot in wet weather. Take care. Use sticks. Go slow. Or better yet, hire a taxi! You only need to walk the last 100 km for the Compostela and it’s not worth breaking a leg.

I'm currently in Roncesvalles getting ready for Zubiri. The Valcarlos way was ok if you stick to the road but when you get of the road it was 1 mud pool and for many people very hard to get uphill the last 3km. I was wondering if these kind of dirt roads lay before us tomorrow as well ? I remember also someone telling about a river crossing that could not be taken.
I am not there now but have been many times before in bad weather. From Roncesvalles follow the road N 135 down to Zubiri. Walk on the left side facing traffic. It is 27 km but should be much safer than any path in mud.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are very thankful for the good weather we had the first week in October after reading these comments. Buen Camino to everyone!

Wow...thanks for sharing rain experiences great help in mental preparation as well as re-assessing packed meds and first aids. On my way in a couple of days and will start SJPDP in another couple of days. I am ready and excited N will take it slow to start. Buen Camino.

And looking at your Camino history, you know how to do this!

And looking at your Camino history, you know how to do this!

Not normally on buses. I like to go the distance, but the weather at the moment sounds exceptionally bad. Enjoy the Madrid. It is a lovely Camino. You won't find many buses along that route.

QUOTE Hoping 4 a weather break soon.[/QUOTE]
I walked 4 years ago leaving on April 17 from SJPdP. I ended with 7 days of snow. Did route napoleon all white with a few others who weren’t told the pass was closed and could write the date on an outside table top with 3 cm snow on it just past o’cebreiro. BUEN CAMINO!

I have abandoned my old style thermals. And my heavy fashionista sandals. I am in Sarria. I have 9 days left to complete 5 stages so will likely walk less than three hours a day. I laundered everything so sitting in my rain gear. It comes in handy at times. I am thankful to God that I am alive to enjoy the pelting rain, bone chilling cold, roaring wind, snow and ice cold Albergues. Seriously I am having the time of my life and really enjoying the warm weather. Socks and remaining thermals will be discarded on the way back home. Boots have taken a beating. So have my feet. And legs. And knees. Aaaah. I might have Camino Fever.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back