• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from the Frances

Nandy61

Time of past OR future Camino
2010-present, multi paths & years
Well, here my tired, bony backside sits after 26K more or less from Pamplona to Puenta La Reine. Stayed last night at the Jesus y Maria hostel and can only say it was fabulous. 6 euros, big clean and well-equipped kitchen, very clean beds, sheets, pillowcases; internet washing area with free washer machines (1E for the driers) It was just great. Was sitting at the door after the walk from Larrasoana at 11:30. They opened the doors at noon. Got settled and went out to explore the city. Reports from other pilgrims about the Paderborn hostel were also great. Same price but with breakfast.
Today was the first day with sun. Not terribly warm, but it gave us a taste of what is to come. Supposedly! Yhe weather has been very strange for June in Spain thus far. At least we are all dried out now. My daughter and I decided to head to the Apostol Albergue in Puente La Reine as it was just a bit further out of town and would give us a little head-start tomorrow. Bad idea. Its really not that far at all from the Reparadores Hostel which is half the price, and supposedly just as nice. I have Brierly´s book and he notes that the Apostol hostal is "on an elevated site, 400m up the road from the bridge" But he never tells you that it is one big-ass hill and climb after 26K. And paying 8€ for the privelege too (Reparadores is only 4€) It is however, very nice, clean airy. There´s a very large laundry room and loads of places outside to hang up your washing (which at this height dries before you´ve hung it all!) It also has a pool (that I don´t dare stick my feet in with the weather we´ve been having) so I suppose it will serve its purpose well for someone, someday. Just be forewarned!
Not many crowds thus far, by the way. The hostal in Pamplona only had 48 persons in it by 6pm. More arrived, but it was not full. This place is like a beach resort hotel in the off season. Only a handful of us.
Tomorrow it is Estella, though we are tempted to stay at the Magic Place 4K before the city. Our bodies are tired and they offer massage there! We´ll see. Ok, enough for now, I believe a cold beer awaits me!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re: Keep on reporting Live from the Frances

Hello Nandy.
Keep on reporting live from the Camino Francés.
Jochen

Ok. We are in Estella. It was a long hard day even though it was only 20K. I think maybe because the ground was so very hard after two days with no rain. Not that the weather was so nice- it's been really cold! Especially for June. We left the bridge at Puenta la Reina at 7:15. We were waiting fir a group of pilgrims that had the sense to stay at the other albergue! TwoBavarian girls in their twenties, an Austrian in his late 40's, Stefania from Italy (also 40s) Claudio, our multi-translator from Swizterland, my 18 yr old and myself. We arrived at Villatuerta at 11:30. Exhausted and ready for "una Pausa". Cafe con leche was great. We Started off and within minutes came upon the Church of Santa Maria de Asuncion. We tip-toed into the church (mass was ongoing) to say a prayer and get a stamp. When we arrived in Estella, we checked out ANSAS albergue and the Paroquial Albergue only stay here if you have no other options. The municipal albergue is Fantastic. Laundry, lovely patio, kitchen, clean, and breakfast for 6€! not bad, eh?! Have to be out by 7:00 FYI. Dinner now, Los Arcos tomorrow.
Adios!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back