• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from the Peregrino Office!

Hi! I've done 'live from the camino' posts for serveral of the routes I have done (Portugues, Ingles and Primitivo routes). This year I am working as a volunteer in the Peregrino Office in Santiago so I thought that I would start a stream on this. I wanted to get into 'camino' mode, so I did just over 100km from Lugo to Santiago. This entitles you to a credencial and is less crowded than starting in Sarria. See my 'live from the Primitivo' posts for more info on this.

I'm working as an 'amiga' along with Julie. This is a new initiative which has been set up by the Confraternidads of St James of Great Britain AND Ireland. The aim of this initiative is to give pilgrims a better arrival experience. The amigos and amigas have blue t-shirs with 'welcome' in various languages on the front and 'amigo' on the back. Julie and I have a two week stint and we are now on day 2. Amigos(as) need to have experience of having done walking caminos, be involved in the peregrino community and be members of the confraternidad. Language skills (I speak English, Spainish, French, and a bit of Italian) are VERY helpful. As pilgrims come in, we welcome them, ask them about their camino, ask them to get their credenciales out, answer basic questions and direct them to a free desk where the peregrino office workers take over and issue either a compostella or a certificate of completion. The programme seems to be a success so it would be good to get feedback from people who have been welcomed by us. We are not on duty during the entire day as the office is open from 9am to 9pm. However, we are there for peak times. So, appologies to those of you weren't greated by us.

I thought that it might be helpful to answer some basic questions about what happens in the pilgrimage office.

Where is it? We are on Rua do Vilar near the end that is closest to the Cathedral. There is a big sign outside with a yellow arrow on it. We are pretty hard to miss.

When is it open? The office opens at 9am and closes at 9pm. When we arrive in the morning, there are usually pilgrims waiting at the door.

Is there a place to leave bikes or bags? Once you enter the door from the street, you are in a court yard. People park their bikes here. Straight ahead there are bathrooms and there is a luggage storage area. This is normally open from 10am to 2pm and then from 4pm onwards. If this is closed when you arrive or when you need to pick up your bag, you can ask at the office to have the door opened. We charge 1 euro. Today, the luggage area had to close early because it was full (ie. no space to put in new bags). NOTE: (added in on June 6): Today we had over 1000 pilgrims arrive so the people who run the baggage/toilet area where redeployed to the office to deal with the crowds. This meant that the toilets were closed. However, people who wanted to retrieve bags could come to the office to ask for someone to open it, It is worth noting that in Spain, toilets in bars/restaurants are supposed to be open to the public (some places, nevertheless put up a sign saying "solo clientes").

Where do I go to get my final stamp and a compostella? As you enter the courtyard, you go through a door on the right and go up stairs to the peregrino office. Here we will ask you to queue to the right (leaving the left hand side free for people leaving the office). As you approach the front of the line, we would ask you to have your credencial ready. If you come at a peak time, you will have to wait to be sent to a desk where office staff will look at your credencial. They look at your stamps to verify that you have either walked or cycled the route. The most important stamps (sellos) are those you get in the last 100km if you walk and the last 200km in you cycle. PLEASE make sure that you get at least 2 stamps a day for the last 100km/200km. You are asked to fill out a form which asks for your name, nationality, starting point, if you are on foot/cycle/horse, your profession, age, etc. This info is entered into a database. So, if you see someone who looks like their desk is free, they might well be busy entering data. So please WAIT until you are called to come forward. There is a sign that says this, but not everyone respects this. Also, the staff prefer to deal with pilgrims one at a time. There isn't much room by each desk and you will in all likelyhood be processed more quickly if you each wait your turn. On the form, you will be asked if you are doing the pilgrimage for religious, religous/spiritual or cultural/tourist reasons. If you put an X in the religious or spiritual boxes, you get a compostella. This is in Latin. You name is written on it in latin. There is a translation of the credencial on the wall of the peregrino office. If you put an X in the 'cultural/tourism' box, you get a certificate of completion. Once you get your certificate/credenical you can't change it for the other type. That is, we have had people come in where 3 out of 4 in the group put down that they are doing the pilgrimage for religious reasons and get a credencial and then the 4th puts down 'tourism', gets the certificate, sees their friends compostellas and then come back and try to get theirs changed. The office will only change something if an error has been made (like the incorrect date entered). So PLEASE think carefully about your motivations and tick the right box. Note: (added on June 6) we have had people who have collected stamps along the way for friends as souveniers. The office is quite firm that the cathedral stamp is only to be used on the credenciales of pilgrims who arrive in Santiago. We did have one pilgrim today who also wanted his bible stamped. The office did this.

Do I have to pay for my compostella/certificate? No. That being said, the office needs funding so there are boxes where you can give a donation if you like.

How do a get a tube for my compostella/certificate? When you get your compostella/certificate, you can buy a protective tube for 1 euro from the person at the desk. You can also get a tube from the amigos if we are on duty. If you leave and decide that you want a tube, just come straight to us and we'll get your sorted with your tube. NOTE (added June 6): The money earned from the tubes goes towards funding the Albergue de Peregrino

I want to start a camino. Can I get a credencial from the Office? Yes. HOWEVER, you can only get a credencial if you are going from somewhere (like Sarria) TO Santiago. If you want to go from Santiago to Muxia or Fisterra (Finisterre) you can either continue to use your credenical (get two stamps per day) OR if you are starting from scratch, you need to go to the Galicia Tourist Office (on the same street but on the other side). The view of the Pilgrim/Peregrino Office is that they are there to assist peregrios who ARRIVE in Santigo or want to arrive in Santiago. People who are leaving Santiago and going to other parts of Galica are taken care of by the Galician Tourist Office.

Where do I get tourist info, maps, book a hotel, etc? The Peregrino Office can help with basic info, however there are state run dedicated tourism offices on the same street as us. On the same side as us, but further down Rua do Villar (near the other end) you will find the city of Santiago Tourist Office. They can tell you what hotels still have rooms, give you a map and help you out with basic info about the city. Halfway down Rua do Villar and on the opposite side of the street from us is the Galician tourist office. They deal with everything outside of the city. There is also an excellent bookshop on Rua do Vilar with guide books on the camino (either for your next camino or if you want to go onto Finisterre). The Confraternidad of St James website also has downloadable guides (http://www.csj.org.uk/guides.htm). These are free, but it is appreciated if you make a donation. Please make sure that you also look for the updates. The CSJ guides only have directions. They don't have maps or altitude charts.

Where the albergues in Santiago? There are two public ones. There is one just off St Lazarus which is the broad avenue you walk down as you approach the old part of the city (if you are on the French Route). This is called the Albergue de Peregrinos del Final del Camino. It is open from 11:30am to midnight. You have to leave by 9am. The phone is 981 58 73 24 and it is possible to book at place. They have a strorage area, washing machines, microwave ovens, bike storage and can arrange to ship bikes home, free wifi, vending machines and there are restaurants, bars and a pharmacy nearby. This is 15min from the Cathedral. It costs 8 euros. There is also the Seminario Menor. It is also 15 min from the Cathedral. It is in an old building outside of old part of town. It involves an uphill climb. It is on the tourist info maps in the lower right hand corner on the far side of the Parque de Belivis. You can book ahead. When I did an internet search on the "Seminario Menor" in Santiago de Compostella, it came up on booking.com. It is 12 euros for a bed in a dorm and 17 euros for a single room. I would recommend booking in advance. There is a good description of the facilities on booking.com.

I'm injured and need to go to hospital! The office staff are used to seeing damaged peregrinos. They can tell you where the hosptial is and how to get there.

I've lost my credencial, camera, compostella etc. There is a lost and found box in the office. If compostellas get lost in the city, someone usually brings it back to the office. Some objects lost on the route also get sent to us. So if you have lost your credenical, it is always worth asking to see if it has been handed in. Please try to take care of your credencial.

When is the pilgrim's mass? This is from 12 -1pm. If you want to get a seat, I would recommend arriving at LEAST by 11:30. I you want a good seat, I would arrive by 11am, especially on the weekends. If you are in the database by 11:30am, you will be mentioned at the mass. There are too many pergrinos for people to be mentioned by name. However, what will be read out is your nationality (city of origin for Spaniards) and your starting point. If you arrive after 11:30am, you will be mentioned at the mass the following day.

When does the botafumero come out? There is no guarentee that you will see the botafumero in action. I was lucky enough to see it at the end of my first camino (the Frances in 2008). I've done a camino every year since and haven't seen it since. The botafumero comes out when a group sponsors it (i.e. pays for it) and this is arranged in advance. We don't know when this happens. A basic rule of thumb is that if you arrive at mass and see it hanging up, there is a good chance that it will be used. If you are unlucky enough to not see it, YouTube has excellent clips.

Where can I get a shower if I am just passing through Santiago? [Updated July 17: We got asked this by cyclists on two days. On one day when it rained hard and cyclists were mud spattered and today when the temperature was up to 35 C. Most foot peregrinos choose to stay in Santiago and so have access to showers, but some cyclists wanting to push onto Finisterre only stay long enough to get their compostellas. According to Tourist Info, peregrinos can get showers at the Seminario Menor. You have to pay for this, the cost is not very decipherable on my note from Tourist Info, but I think it is 3 euros. An option that is closer to the city center is Mundo Albergue on Rua de San Clemente for 5 euros (continue down Traversa de Fonseca off Rua do Franco)].

Julie and I are both really enjoying being amigas. People arriving at the Office are generally tired but very happy!It is lovely working with happy people. We have, however, had one or two unfriendly people, such as one person today who angry with the staff because he was told that he couldn't get a credencial to walk to Fisterra (Finisterre) from the Peregrino office.

I'd like to say 'buen camino' to everyone that Julie and I have greated and who are still out there on the camino and will be arriving within the next two weeks. A special buen camino has to go out to the guy today who walked all the way from Nuremburg! We insisted on taking a photo of him holding his credencial at full lenght (with his camera). Yesterday, we were very charmed by the infant who was carried by his/her parents for the camino. They had their own credenical and got a compostella!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for this wonderful and most informative post.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thankyou for the information, i arrived early on 30 June, thanks for the warm welcome from the ladies in the blue Tshirts, it was a pleasant surprise to hear a british accent in the office, i asked where johny walker was, he was having a sleep-in :)

Regards
Frank

I am Departing santigo tomorrow, any suggestions where to get a good last dinner that does not resemble a pilgrims menu? I may catch the No. 6 bus back to Monto Gozo to resaurant suso their 4 course pilgrims menu was awsome for 8 euro:)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ljbmrf

Wow,
Sounds like you are making people say "religious" or "spiritual" even if that wasn't their motivation. Nice way to up your stats on that score. As someone who spent many years in Roman Catholic Religious life, I understand this system completely. Count me out.

Actually, what I will say (if I come into your office at all) is that I walked the camino for ME and if you don't like that then you can keep your compostella (in latin).

Giles Pennington
Los Ojos, New Mexico, USA

Gilespenn said:
Wow,
Sounds like you are making people say "religious" or "spiritual" even if that wasn't their motivation. Nice way to up your stats on that score. As someone who spent many years in Roman Catholic Religious life, I understand this system completely. Count me out.

Actually, what I will say (if I come into your office at all) is that I walked the camino for ME and if you don't like that then you can keep your compostella (in latin).

Giles Pennington

I do not see how you read this from what nicole has said. She clearly says
"So PLEASE think carefully about your motivations and tick the right box."
If anyone wants to falsely state their motivation it is their own decision.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gilespenn said:
Wow,

Giles Pennington

Giles, I am sorry that you carry around so much anger, frustration, and pain. It seems a pretty straight forward thing; if you walk for religious/spiritual reasons you get a compostela. If you walk for any other reason you get a certificate. It has no meaning to the office what reason people are on Camino. It is not about being counted out. In fact, it does not even matter if you show up at the office. If you walk for you alone, why would you want a certificate in the first place?

I think it is time to set that burden down you carry around with you.

Hi!

I've not been able to do my internet for a few days, so I am glad that William Marques and Michael B managed to respond to Gilespenn's message. The people at the Peregrino Office are certainly not forcing people to tick the religous or religious/spiritual box. They don't mind what motivation people have. They are just as happy to hand out the completion certificate (which looks quite nice and has an image of Santiago Peregrino). What they DON'T like are people who decide to change their "motivation" because they like the looks of the compostella over the certificate or vice versa. We had a person come in yesterday who didn't want a compostella or certificate, but was there to acompany a friend who did. Again, the office staff have no problem with this. He went up to the desk to be with his friend. Friendship is one of the most important compontents of most people's caminos.

A note to Gilespenn: If you spend any amount of time looking through the various forums, it becomes very clear that everyone has their own camino. Two people can walk the same route together and have very different experiences. More importantly, people's experiences of the camino changes on the route.The most important quality to have is an open mind and to respect other people's right to experience their own camino. We have a lot of people coming through the office who started in Saria on the French route. This is just far away enough (over 100km) to get a compostella (or certificate). When I did the Frances in 2008, I remember feeling a bit of camino snobbery when I met the Sarria crowd. I had been on the camino for 25 days and had done about 700km. They were only just starting. However, working in the Peregrino office gives you a different perspective. The people who started in Sarria have walked just over 100km, most have spent 5 days on the camino in crowded albergues. They feel that they have accomplished something important and are absoutely delighted. We have had a lot of school groups come through and while a few of them look aloof when they waiting for their turn in the office, they are smiling when they come out with their certificate or compostella. Many come back asking for a tube (1 euro) to protect their compostella/certifiate (note: the money form the sale of tubes goes towards the Albergue de Peregrinos.

Anyway, back to some practical information:

When is a good time to arrive at the office? Today is Friday and we had a line up all day. Julie and I arrived at 9am. We both had a lunch break and then an afternoon break and left the office at 7pm. By that time, about 1200 pilgrims had passed through the office. While there was a queue all day, the worst time was just before and after the 12pm pilgrims' mass. At its worse, the queue was 40 min. When I came back from lunch, I asked people who were lined up outside of the office if they were staying overnight in Santiago. To those who said "yes" I recommended that they find a hotel, get rid of their rucksacks, get cleaned up, have something to eat and then return later (we are open until 9pm). Later on, the queue was only 15 to 20 min long. What did slow things down was having school groups arrive. So if you arrive, look up the stairs and see lots of people with the same T-shirt, you might want to come back later. I was told that Saturdays are the same. On Mondays to Fridays, we have a bit of a rush when the office opens at 9am. A lot of people try to get their compostella before 11:30am so they get mentioned at the midday mass. There is a lull from 12-1pm. Then we get a post-mass rush of pilgrims who arrived in Santiago around midday and so went straight to the mass and come to us afterwards to get the compostella. After 3pm things slow down a bit unless when have school groups come in. July and August are the busiest months.

Yes - approximately 1300 pilgrims through the office today. The database will update at some point - it is probably exhausted! http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

For those who have arrived in previous years you will know that 40 minutes waiting time is a HUGE improvement on the 2 hours people used to wait on the stairs or indeed the 4 - 6 hours at the height of the Holy Year. Come early or late (or during the Pilgrims' Mass) to avoid the queue.

Julie and Nicole are playing a blinder welcoming pilgrims. Nicole's quote of the last few days must be: "I can't help you with that...but I know someone who can."

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Question... why do we need to get 2 stamps/day the last 100 kms? Don't you just get a stamp at the place you sleep? Where else would you get one?

dmartin53 said:
Question... why do we need to get 2 stamps/day the last 100 kms?

Because, technically, those are the rules to quality for getting a certificate.

Don't you just get a stamp at the place you sleep? Where else would you get one?

Restaurants, bars, churches, shops, visitor centers, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nicole,

thank you for starting this thread. Very informative and beautifully written.
You are doing an important job taking care of the arriving pilgrims in SDC and I know it is hard work with SO many encounters each day.

Regards,

anniethenurse said:
ffp13 said:
And where are the rules written for pilgrims to read (before we commence our camino) ?

on the Pilgrims´Office webpage.

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... redencial/

Thank you, over the past 4 years i have googled the camino many many times including searches on that subject, my google search results never lead me to this web page, however almost all searched bring up multiple results for this forum:) a FAQ page would be helpful especially if it included the official policy, asking questions on a forum often results in conflicting responses.

Frank

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm sure I didn't get TWO stamps per day last year, for the last 100 kms. I had walked from Porto in just over two weeks and had a wonderful time. If my credential had been turned down because of lack of TWO stamps, I think I would have been devastated!
Maybe there's a reason for stipulating two stamps, but I can't for the life of me think what. If we're walking 'off the beaten track' the only chance we get may be at our nightly albergue. It does seem rather an odd requirement to me, but who am I to question it?!

Buen camino! [with many 'sellos'!]

Stephen

The requirement for the Compostela is 2 stamps per day for the last 100 km (effectively within Galicia). I have walked at least the last 100 km of Ingles, Portugues, Via de la Plata and shorter distances on the Finisterre and Ingles (Coruna arm) and never had any problem obtaining at least 2 sellos per day. I'm sure it must be even easier on the Frances route to obtain.

I walked the 120km from Valenca in June and obtained 35 sellos in six days without particularly going out of my way to get them (there was a specific reason for this, I'm not a sello obsessant). If obtaining 2 sellos goes some way to stopping tour buses claiming the Compostela and clogging up the summer queue at the office, I think it is a reasonable requirement.

At the end of the day, if you are that determined to obtain a Compostela without walking you can do so but you have just cheated yourself really.

Mig

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First of all I have to say a big thank you to Johnnie Walker for taking such good care of the amigas(os) who are volunteering their time. I remember very well the long wait in the holy year. We waited and hour to even get to the door of the courtyard of the Peregrino Office.

I think that the welcome service is working very well and is well appreciated. I have a day off today but I'm still helping peregrinos. I overheard an American talking about the difficulty of getting a flight back to Austin, Texas. I interupted him and said that I could probably get him a cheap flight to London and from London a reasonable flight to Texas. What I found for him was £500 cheaper than standard airlines like Iberia or BA.

OK.. another question; Knowing I need 2 stamps/ day at least for the last 100kms, won't I need to have more than 1 credencial? I'm starting from SJPP... and that is where I am planning to get my credencial. Will they give me more than 1 passport to carry. I assume the passports fill up rather quickly and if you run out of space where do you get a credencial along the way.

If your credential is out of space then you can easily get another one. Many associations in Spain and abroad and albergues in Spain sell for (or donativo) them for €1-2 so it will not be a problem.

`Where to obtain the official Pilgrims’ Credencial

From Confraternities of Santiago, from approved Associations in Spain and from approved Associations in other countries.´´= information on the Pilgrims´Office webpage

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... redencial/

Regards,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just finished the Camino on June 13th after starting in SJPdP and I didn't get 2 stamps every day for the last 100 km. A couple of days I walked 40 km and maybe only had 1 stamp for the stretch. I had two credentials due to the overflow from all of the stamps I got prior to the last 100 km, so that was not my issue. Frankly, it sometimes got a little time consuming on the last 100km because of all the peregrinos who just started were somewhat obsessed with filling up their passports. Not sure where all of the concern for two stamps per day is coming from.

Two stamps per day for the last 100km It is a recommendation to get this to indicate that you really did walk the last 100km and didn't use a bus or car during the last 100km. To be honest, I think is more important if you are doing only the last 100km (i.e. starting in Sarria).If you started in St Jean de Pied de Port or Le Puy, no one is going to care if you only have one stamp per day for the last 100km.

July 7: Hola Thomas!

First, I have to say "hola" to Thomas from America. I met Thomas while I was walking back to where I stay in Santiago. I went into a bar/cafe in the hope that it has wifi. It did and I was well installed and answering my emails. I spotted Thomas at the bar having difficulty ordering somethig. I said: " I speak English and Spanish, can I help you?" He said: " Well, I want a coffee with milk that isn't half milk, but what I really want is a flight to Mancester. I said: " I can help you with both". I asked the barista to cut back on the leche and pulled up EasyJet on my laptop. Thomas was astounded that getting a cheap flight to Manchester was only a few clicks. What makes today special for me was the fact that Thomas didn't just want a flight to Manchester, the wanted to meet up with his soulmate that he had met on the camino. He had been umming and ahhing if life was so simple that after 3 ex-wives you could simply meet the person you were meant to be with on the Camino. He was looking for a sign. The fact that I walked in explaining his coffee issue and saying: "Santiago to Manchester no problem".
"
Before he sat down I had some flights up on the screen. He hugged me and told me that I was an angel sent by God. I've been called a lot of things in my life, but never an angel. Thomas was so very happy to have been given a so simple solution to what he called "the problem of his heart"

I am here these two weeks to help pergrinos but if all I have done is to get Thomas onto flight to Manchester to meet up again with his soul mate, I will have regarded my time in Santiago well spent (and I have more than one week left!!!).

Buen Camino Thomas!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
peregrina nicole said:
I want to start a camino. Can I get a credencial from the Office? Yes. HOWEVER, you can only get a credencial if you are going from somewhere (like Sarria) TO Santiago. If you want to go from Santiago to Muxia or Fisterra (Finisterre) you can either continue to use your credenical (get two stamps per day) OR if you are starting from scratch, you need to go to the Galicia Tourist Office (on the same street but on the other side). The view of the Pilgrim/Peregrino Office is that they are there to assist peregrios who ARRIVE in Santigo or want to arrive in Santiago. People who are leaving Santiago and going to other parts of Galica are taken care of by the Galician Tourist Office.
Thanks, Peregrina, for your great post and for news of the Amigo/a program. I arrived in SdC this year on June 25 just before the office closed and am sorry I missed you!

One comment on the credenciales for Finisterre. Last year I went to the Galician Tourist Office and was given a simple piece of blank paper as a credencial. I took this to the first albergue on the way to Finisterre where they insisted I needed an "official" Finisterre credencial and that the tourist office version was not adequate. I received one from them for no- or low-cost and proceeded on. My only point is that, unless it's changed this year, the Tourist Office doesn't have "real" credenciales to offer. I hope they've changed and do have them now, as it was a little odd to walk without a credencial.

Thanks again for your work and for posting this helpful info.

Hi, I'm back with another question. I do this bravely even though Michael B thinks I'm angry and frustrated and burdened (If he only knew how happy I am...sorry).

So on the official website of the peregrino office (http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... tatistics/) they say that people get three choices when asked about motivation: Religious, Religious/cultural and cultural. However, those are not the questions you are asking on your form.

Here's what you say in your text: "On the form, you will be asked if you are doing the pilgrimage for religious, religous/spiritual or cultural/tourist reasons." So the questions on the form don't match the published statistics (as I predicted in my first post, you will recall).

Where is there a place on your form (or, more importantly, on your pie chart) for people who don't want anything to do with religion but who had a profound and maybe life changing experience on their Camino? Shouldn't they be the first in line for a compostela?

In the movie "The Way," the gypsy father of the boy who stole Martin Sheen's backpack says what I think Emilio Estevez who wrote the screenplay thought about the Camino: "This has nothing to do with religion, nothing at all." That pretty much says it...
Regards,
Giles

Hola Giles

The website of the Pilgrims' Office is in development and you are right to point out the apparent inconsistency between what is on the form which pilgrims fill in and what appears in the graphics in statistics' monthly summary on the website. Something got lost in translation. It will be fixed soon. The more accurate source is the annual statement of statistics - you can download these at the moment on the Spanish section of the site -(yet another job to be done). The sections used there reflect exactly the questions on the form. To see photograph of the actual form go here:
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... telas.html

So in the "reasons for your pilgrimage" section pilgrims are invited to indicate whether they made their pilgrims for:

Religious reasons

Religious or other reasons

Non religious reasons

Many pilgrims, particularly Spanish people are clear that their motivation is religious. However sometimes pilgrims raise exactly the point you make - they have walked for a deeply personal reason, or for a promise or vow or in memory of someone who is ill or who has died, but they want to be absolutely clear that they want no association with religion or the church. Often they simply tick the "religious or other" box and if they ask they are advised to do so. We've thought about the wording of the form and it would be impossible to provide a comprehensive list of all of "spiritual but not religious" reasons people have for making their pilgrimage. That is why the staff are there to advise.

I hope this explanation is helpful. Currently the form and the annual summary are as one.I promise to change the wording on the pie charts as soon as I learn how to do it!

Best regards

John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your patience with me John. Now that I know what the choices are, I think I'll stop in for a compostela!

And yes, you definitely need to change the wording of the pie chart on your website.

Que le vaya muy buen,
Giles

I´m glad that people are finding this thread helpful. Thanks to Johnnie and the others for providing up to date info and web links.

The Credencial for Finisterre: Thanks for raising this issue Caminoist. We were told to advise people that they could get a credenical at either the Galician Tourist Office or at the first albergue. I did stop by the tourist office to ask for the info they give people who want to go to Finisterre, but I didn´t ask about a credenical. I´ll ask again when they open (they are closed from 2-4pm). Please note that this is different from the city Tourist Office (which is open from 9am to 9pm). [Update from July 17: I went to the Galician Tourist Office and asked for a credencial. They gave me one for free. This was made up by the Albergue Turistico San Jose in Negerira (881 976 934, http://www.alberguesanjose.es, email: info@alberguesanjose.es). If the tourist office runs out of these, I imagine that you could get one at this albergue. It is quite a nice looking credencial and has a map of the route and distances STARTING from Negreira (it notes that you have 21km to get from Santiago to Negreira). It also gives an indication of where there are bars and albergues. However, I would double check this again tourist info because it has the albergue in Muxia down as a 'provisional' one and it looked pretty permanent when I was there].

Yesterday was my last day as an amigo. Tomorrow, 2 new amigos start and I´ll pop by the office to see how they are getting on. In the two weeks that Julie and I were amigas, over 13,000 peregrinos passed through the office. We both found it a very enjoyable experience, but it was also very physically and mentally tiring. So, while I had ambitious plans to be an amigo by day and then come home to work on email, etc. at night, what I normally ended up doing was going back to the flat and enjoy a glass of wine while chatting with Julie (and trying to find something decent on Spanish TV).

We were both asked, when Johnnie took us out for a celebratory bottle of cava, which peregrinos we particularly remembered. It was a difficult question to answer, because so many stand out. There were the long distance people: the man who walked from Germany on our first day; several French people who started at their front door; the people who cycled from Poland; the man who started in Germany, was walking to and from Finisterre and Muxia and was then going on to Fatima in Portugal; several Dutch couples who cycled from home (including one pair who were also cycling back). We had one German man who walked from home, came to the office for a stamp, but didn´t want the credencial. His plan was to walk back to Germany and said that Santiago wasn´t his end goal. It was only the ´half time´. Julie and I both really enjoyed the people who walked the camino as a family. We had several groups that crossed three generations. Most of these groups did short caminos (i.e. starting in Sarria). One of the Dutch couples who started from their home on bike, we joined by their children and grand children for the last 200km of their camino. [update on July 17: I forgot to mention one of the students who came through. I ususally ask students if they enjoyed the camino and if they would do it again. One young Spainish student (who must have been 15 or so) said that he would do it again and bring his son. We also had someone show up in full camino costume: hat with shell, brown robes and the pole with a gourd. I gather that this is one of our frequent flyers. The office staff appeared to know him well and he gave me a blessing before he left. A special hello to Siobhan from Ireland who I ran into this morning at breakfast. Sho-ce recognised me as an 'amiga'. She did the Camino from St. Jean, walked to Finisterre and was meeting her mother at the airport today. They are going to Sarria this afternoon and will start from there. She was concerned about getting a credencial in Sarria, I told her that she could get one from the office here in Santiago. Buen Camino to the both of you!]

Updated July 17: I keep on updating this section, because I keep on remembering people who really stood out. I forgot to mention a group from Italy who started in Sarria. At the core were a couple who arrived on their 50th wedding anniversary. They had their children there too and their parish priest there too. He asked if he would be allowed to celebrate mass and say something about this. I told him to talk to the people in the office. As far as I know (Johnny can correct me here) priests can be invited to co-celebrate mass without writing ahead to get prior permission. Today, Anglican priests and a bishop who arrived with a group from Peterbourgh (Leon to Santiago) celebrated mass.

Of course, it was quite memorable, for personal reasons, to be an amiga in the office when my boyfriend, Camino Bob, rolled in from Seville. He has a road bike and so didn't cycle the actual path, but made it to Santiago in 6 days. He travelled VERY light.
What also stands out are the people who were very emotionally moved by their arrival in Santiago. We have had people be happy, but calm in the queue, but come out of the office in tears of joy when they had their compostella or certificate in their hand. Many of these people are doing the camino for religious or deeply personal reasons (one lady did the camino in honour of her mother who died before she could do the camino herself). If you read the comments book, you see that many people are overcome by the fact that they managed to finish something that they didn´t think that they could do.

I was also impressed by the wide variety of nationalities on the camino. There are LOTS of Spanish, French, Italians, Polish, German and Portuguese peregrinos. However, we also had quite a few from South Korea, Japan, China, South Africa, Ireland, Brazil, Hungary, Canada (many from Quebec), USA, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and the Czech Republic. We also had two from Iran (who arrived on different days), 1 from Iceland, 1 from Peru, one from Venezuela, a few from Mexico, Costa Rica, Slovkia and Romania. Our amigo T-shirts say "welcome" in different languages but, design-wise it was impractible to put all of the languages of the camino on the shirt. So Julie and I started a few posters where we invited peregrinos to write "welcome" in their own language. I´ll take a photo of these posters when I go back tomorrow to say hello to the new amigas.

Today, I´m enjoying being a tourista. I´m booked in for a 7pm tour of the roof of the Cathedral (they do tours in English and Spanish).

Thank you for all the wonderful information, and the wonderful helpers in the Pilgrims Office.
I will be starting from Granada mid September, hoping to arrive in Santiago by mid November. Are there many pilgrims walking at that time, or will I be all alone walking into Santiago ??

Although I expect I will walk alone ( with God ) on the Mozarabe, I hope to meet some companions by the time I reach the Sanabres. Do you have stats of the peregrinos on the Sanabres last November?

Thanks for all you do to assist peregrinos from all over planet Earth----I'm coming from Australia.

Sandra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sandy! I hope you have a great camino. Johnnie can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think that the amigo programme only lasts during the high season, and so by the time you arrive, we won't be there. Johnnie would probably know the stats on people doing the Plata in Oct/Nov, but I imagine that there wouldn't be too many other people on the route. There is a separate Plata forum, so you should also post your question there.

Last Day in Santiago!

Today is my last full day in Santiago.Tomorrow, I head back to sunny Glasgow. I went to the Office today to say 'hasta la proxima' to the staff. I also took photos of our posters of 'welcome' in different languges. I've listed these below (in the order they appear on the posters). Please note that we asked peregrinos from various countries to write these down themselves, so sorry if there are any errors. Please send me any corrections. Please also send in any welcomes that we don't have. We have South Korean and Japanese on the poster, but my keyboard doesn't have those characters.

Welcome (English)
Witamy (Polish)
Bienvenido (Spanish)
Willkommen (German)
Failte (note: the 'a' has an accent) (Irish Gaelic)
Bienvenu (French)
Benvenuto (Italian)
Benvido (Galician)
Welkom (Flemish)
Tervetuloa (Finnish)
Veinguts (Valencian)
Velkommen (Danish)
Vitej (Czech)
Vitajte (Slovakian)
Benvinguts (Catalan)
Bun Venit (Romanian)

One of the very interesting things about being an amigo was seeing the credencials from various cofraternities of St James. The Irish ones have a Celtic design and are (of course) green. The Canadian ones are green and have a shell with a Canadian flag. The South African ones are white with a crest on the front. These are all passport sized. The British Cofraternity credencial is the size of half a sheet of paper and has a yellow cover. Most people have the brown Spanish ones or the French one. We can spot those who started in St Jean from their credencial. Various other organisations, like Catholic Schools, have their own credenicals. The most beautiful (in my opinion) is the Japanese one. This is like a work of art and has peregrino related images around the edge (like bread, a swiss army knife, etc) that no doubt are useful for pointing to if you have language difficulties. I would have loved to have included photos of these credenicales but I'm not very good at shrinking images to fit onto the forum. I expect that a search on google image would yeild results.

I was lucky enough to see the botafumero twice during my two weeks in Santiago. I saw it on my last day as a volunteer. I was given 'time off' to go to the peregrino mass. Seeing the botafumero was great, but even more interesting was the delegation of Central or South Americans who were decked out with amazing feather head dresses. I've spent time in South America and these looked like recreations of Inca costumes to me, but someone from the crowd said that they had heard that they were Mexicans, so maybe they were recreation of Aztec outfits. In anycase, they were pretty special.

I also got to see the botafumero today when I went to the Cathedral to say my 'hasta la proxima' to Santiago. I had a great view and even watched them untie the botafumero after the end of the mass and take it away.

I want to say a final word on 'where did you start from?' snobbery. As I said in an earlier post, when I did the French route starting from St Jean, I was in awe of the people who started in Le Puy and further away and thought that those starting in Sarria were doing 'the minimum' necessary to get a credencial. My view on this changed when I saw how happy the Sarria people were to arrive. Today's Correo Gallego (July 17, page 22) has a couple of stories which encapulsates the fact that 'everyone has their own Camino' and that no peregrino should judge another. One story featured a man from Hungary who started in Romania and had taken two months to cycle 3738 km. There was also a feature on a group of 20 or so peregrinos from Madrid with Down's Syndrome and 5 monitors (also peregrinos). They started in Sarria and did 15km days and had a support vehicle just in case. There was a lovely photo of the Hungarian in the court yard of the Pergrino Office with his credenical and a great photo of a triumphant group of peregrinos from Madrid walking under the arch and down the final steps that lead to the square in front of the Cathedral.

When I went back to the office to say my final goodby, I met an older peregrino with a cane who had his goods in one of those wheeled shoper bags. He was about to start up the steps to the Office but I told him that I could get someone from the office to come down if he wanted. He did and was thankful for me to arrange this. He started in Roncesvalles and took 60 days. Note: If you have mobility issues, the Office staff are happy to come down to you. Just get someone to ask for you if an amigo isn't around.

Eating, Drinking and being a Turista in Santiago

During the two weeks that we have been in Santiago, Julie and I have been to various cafe/bar/resaturants. We have been treated very well, so I just wanted to mention of few of the places where we were 'regulars'. We have had regular coffee breaks at Cafe Casino on Rua do Villar (near the BBV bank). This is a beautiful old world style cafe/bar. The do an excellent tinto de verano, which is a mixture of red wine, gaseosa (which is like diet sprite) and curaco on LOTS of ice. It is a very refershing summer drink. We've also been to the cafe/bar of the Hotel Susa (also on Rua do Vilar, just after the city tourist info office). I've stayed in this hotel before and can recommend it. They are very peregrino friendly and have wifi. Julie and I would normally have breakfast at Cafe Derby, which is another old world looking cafe bar at the corner of Plaza de Galicia (en route from where we stayed). We've had the menu del dia at Galeon on Rua Nova 36. We've also had an amazing menu del dia at Gondola, near the Plaza Roxa in the new part of town. This is an Italian restaurant. For having a drink in a beautiful leafy courtyard, I can highly recommend the Hotel Costa Vella on Calle Porta da Pena 17. When my boyfriend, Camino Bob arrived from the Plata (Seville to Santiago on bike in 6 long days) he wanted steak and asked the Hotel Susa people what they recommended. The consensus was the Cafe Bar Clodio on Rua de San Pedro (on the French route, before you arrive at the Porta do Camino). This does massive steaks, ribs, etc on coal and bring a coal heated grill to your table. I can also very highly recommend Meson Cotolay on San Clemente. We have been going to this place for years. If you are at the Post Office, San Clemente is just down the steps/ramps at the side of the Post Office. This is a family run place, Chus, the owner is from Melide (her mother runs a pulperia there). Her husband is the cook. They have a collection of interesting drinks from around the world on display (not for sale) which includes some IrnBru, which we sent from Scotland. I've had to move out of the place I was staying to make way for the new amigos, so I've moved into the San Martin Pinario Hospederia, which is the Seminario Menor. This is an AMAZING place. This is a converted monastry. The entry corridor is very grand and there is a leafy courtyard. They have an excellent breakfast and a cafe with wifi. They have special pilgrim rooms (ensuite). They are a bit cell like (this was a monastery afterall), but they are just what a peregrino needs (http://www.sanmartnpinario.eu, 981 56 02 82).

In my two days of being a tourist, I've done the roof tour of the Cathedral. You can use your credenical to get a discount. This is amazing. You walk on the actual roof of the main part of the Cathetral and the transept. They recommend that you have sensible footwear for this and I would second this. A sloping roof is no place for high heels or flipflops. It is a bit like walking up and down a sloping staircase. They recommend that you book ahead. You have to go as part of a tour. They do tours in English and Spanish. I also visited the Cathedral Museum, Cloisters and Treasury. This is welll worth doing and you also get a peregrino discount. Highlights include walking on the gallery that overlooks the main square, walking in the cloisters, the tapistries, and the stone choir that has been reconstructed just before the exit. Check out http://www.cathedraldesantiago.es for more info on both. Given that I was staying at the San Martin Monasterio, I also visted the church of San Martin Pinario and its Museum (again, there is a peregrino discount). This church is no longer in service. It an amazing collection of religious works of art. I was quite glad to have a good zoom function on my camera. As part of the musuem bit, you can go into a gallery that overlooks the church altar. After seeing works of religious art, I was surprised to walk into a room with stuffed birds and animals. This was used for teaching seminarists. There is also an apothecary (persumably for treating sick peregrinos).

If you want to shop for souveniers, eat pulpo or have something to drink, Rua do Franco and Rua do Villar are filled with shops and sidewalk cafes. I'm very glad that I gave myself two turista days after my stint as an amiga. Santiago is a great place. It has a very lively and upbeat atmosphere and it is worth factoring in some extra time to stay here after your camino.

Buen Camino!

peregrina nicole said:
I'm very glad that I gave myself two turista days after my stint as an amiga.
You and Julie certainly deserved it, and so will those who will take over from you. Thank you for the exhaustive, first hand, information published on this Forum. Many future "peregrinos" will benefit from it. You are great :!:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for that! It has been a rewarding but tiring experience. Julie and I both thought that it was like doing a Camino except for the fact that you stay in the same place and the Camino comes to you. Tonight, I had a lovely dinner with the new amigas and had an after dinner drink with a group of Anglican pilgrims (complete with a Bishop) who are from Peterburgh (UK). I wish Angela and Susan the best of luck as amigos. Our after dinner drink was rather spectacular. We were treated to a quemada. This is a Galician custom which involves making a punch out of orujo (like grappa), putting in a bit of fruit peel and sugar and lighting it on fire while putting some of the firey liquid in the ladle and then serving it, still flaming, into cups. If you see large ceramic bowls with little cups dangling off the side in the touristy shops in Santiago, this is what these are used for. John read off (in English) the incantation that goes with this ceremony. The fire is meant to scare away bad spirits. This all happened at Gondola 1 (981 59 17 75) (mentioned above) which is on Alferez Provisonal 7, just off Praza Roxo. From Plaza Galicia, you head down Rua Do Doutour Texeiro (where you go for the airport bus) turn right onto Rua Da Republica Salvador, and when you hit Praza Roxa, go straight across and down half a block. They have a space for large groups, so it is a good place for a post camino group dinner. They have an excellent menu del dia for 9 euros and have amazing home made desserts.

I was lucky enough to witness a quemada last night at the Cafe Casino on Rua do Villar. So, I've done quite well to see two botafumeros and two quemadas in the time I was here.

I'm trying to make this post as useful as it can be for first time viewers, so rather than doing updates in a sequence of replies, I'm going back and adding in updated info to the relevant previous posts. This might be a bit hard to follow for people who have been following this post as it has unfolded, but I hope that it is now organised in a way that people can print off the relevant sections. For example, I'm adding in a Where can I get a shower? section to my first section.

Keep the questions coming in. Maybe other amigos(as) can continue the thread.

Buen Camino

Nicole,

Thank you so much for all this information and thanks to you also John.
Now that the thread is talking about places in Santiago that are worth visiting let me add my little bit. Like Nicole I too was an Amigo and just loved being there in the pilgrim office to welcome pilgrims. I had hoped to see 'everything' in Santiago during my time off but found that I was too tired for most of the first week.

However I did do the tour of the roof of the Cathedral and it is truly amazing. I also did the tour of the Portico del Gloria. I was so enraptured by it that I did it again two days later. At the moment there are "Conservation" works going on both of the Portico and the western facade. As a result there is scaffolding and steps in place. So it is possibles to go on tour up the scaffolding and see the carvings close at hand. It is all biblical based and much of it on the book of revelation. In fact I have been referring to it as the book of revelation carved in granite. The museums will always be there, but when the conservation is completed this scaffolding will come down, so it is well worth while doing this tour if you have a few hours to spare in Santiago de Compostela

I really marvel that any man could have sculptured with the giftedness of Master Matheo or that any lay man could have had such a wonderful knowledge of the book of revelation.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.