• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Live from the primitivo

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain

Time of past OR future Camino
Del norte, french, Portuguese, via dela plata. Sanabrese, Murcia and finestere
I managed to travel after a negative covid test. And I started my camino from Bayonne. I was lucky to find somewhere yo sleep, as some albeurges don't operate on weekends in Bayonne and guethary.

Most municipal albeurges are closed and there are pilgrims walking but not a lot. About a handful. In Deba and lezame there is absolutely nothing for pilgrims. So we all huddled outside a church. Luckily I have a small tent which I have used 5 times in 3 weeks.

So far the primitivo I have been lucky to find a place to sleep, but its only my 3rd day on it.

Hope this helps anyone planning on walking the del norte and primitivo

Buen camino

Attachments

• 20200823_164852.jpg
    20200823_164852.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 120
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, that sounds very uncomfortable and disconcerting.
I hope things lighten up and open up for you on your road ahead.
No doubt about it, it's a tricky time to be doing a pilgrimage.
It's a good thing you've done a few before this one.
I hope your days ahead are gentler and kinder.
Keep us in the picture.
Your updates are more accurate than anything else we might read anywhere else.
Are you planning to finish at Santiago?

Buen Camino.

I managed to travel after a negative covid test. And I started my camino from Bayonne. I was lucky to find somewhere yo sleep, as some albeurges don't operate on weekends in Bayonne and guethary.

Most municipal albeurges are closed and there are pilgrims walking but not a lot. About a handful. In Deba and lezame there is absolutely nothing for pilgrims. So we all huddled outside a church. Luckily I have a small tent which I have used 5 times in 3 weeks.

So far the primitivo I have been lucky to find a place to sleep, but its only my 3rd day on it.

Hope this helps anyone planning on walking the del norte and primitivo

Buen camino
Good luck, and stay safe. Just as well you have your tent. Even if I had the green light from where I live, I am too much of a chicken to risk sleeping in a tent. Anywhere. Anytime. I am reading posts from those like your good self who are braving the various caminos, and I take it for granted that you are all informed and cooperating with local regulations. I am not jealous. Why should I be? You are the ones taking the risk, and you will get the benefit that comes to you from the experience. I will be fine just reading about your experience, and waiting, calmly, and happily, until the green light is steady and go!
Then if it is before December 2021, I will be using the Iberia voucher I am going to have to accept in lieu of the refund I would prefer for my useless ticket! Imagine! I booked my flights about two weeks before any idiot would have seen what was coming down the tracks!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be using the Iberia voucher I am going to have to accept in lieu of the refund I would prefer for my useless ticket!

Strange how differently airline companies handle refunds due to Corona related cancellations. When my Vueling flights were cancelled, I received a mail telling me that the very, very best thing I could do would be to accept a voucher valid for one year. I then called their Costumer Contact Center and told them that I wanted a cash refund and they said OK – and 2 days later, I had the money on my account.

I am not sure that you have to accept a voucher (but perhaps it could be a hassle getting a cash refund?)

Sorry, a slight derailment of the thread: You are right, if they cancel I can ask for a refund. So far, they have not cancelled MY flight. My friend’s flight, same one! has been cancelled!!! She had a return, I had a single. Tomorrow is my last chance to ask them nicely if they have cancelled my flight.

“Live from the Primitivo”? It seems to me you are on the Norte....

However Norte or Primitivo, as has been said before, I would not like to huddle anywhere with fellow pilgrims on a camino. You need a lot of space to keep socially distancing in a huddle. Some huddle!

Buen camino all the same, as buen as it can be. Et bon courage!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. I was on the del norte and now I am walking from oviedo to grade. My 3rd day on the primitivo via villaviscosia.

The huddling with other pilgrims was in clumps. Those that walk together naturally stuck together and enough social distancing is maintained outside.

Though inside hostels its harder. Lucky its been relatively empty and last night I was the only pilgrim in the whole albeurge.

And i was tested for temperature and my rucksack and shoes were disinfected. And i was also asked to shower before going to take my bed.

We are in clusters and small bubbles and we stick to them. But in spirit its like any other camino. We greet each other warmly but New pilgrims are greeted cautiously with masks. Most of the open albeurges are very strict.

We get fumigated at the door, temperature taken and our rucksacks bagged. There is no communal eating and if kitchens are open we are asked to social distance.

This camino is like an endurance test, to see how far you are willing to walk to find accommodation.. its advisable to avoid big towns as the social distancing in a pub or restaurants to eat boggles the mind.

I am ahead of the group I started out with, so I am at times acting as a scout and reporting back

Honestly we are oblivious to covid but pray to reach Santiago safely.

Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We get fumigated at the door

Oh great, so before they fumigated bed bugs, nowadays they fumigate pilgrims? 😲

vFUMIGATION.png

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Honestly, this doesn't seem like fun at all. More of an endurance test on many different levels...

Honestly, this doesn't seem like fun at all. More of an endurance test on many different levels...
The camino has always been an endurance test. It helps me overcome my fears , get to know myself better and clarify my thoughts.

I dont use it as a vacation, but it is where I go within myself and grow . But don't know how growth will happen today on the steepest climb with only 4 hrs sleep.

We had the noisiest group of local pilgrims who woke up at 4.30 without considation of others, put lights on and made the worst ruckus I ever experienced on the camino.

But maybe there lies my challenge today. Tolérance of others even if they are iinconsiderate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The camino has always been an endurance test. It helps me overcome my fears , get to know myself better and clarify my thoughts.

I dont use it as a vacation, but it is where I go within myself and grow . But don't know how growth will happen today on the steepest climb with only 4 hrs sleep.

We had the noisiest group of local pilgrims who woke up at 4.30 without considation of others, put lights on and made the worst ruckus I ever experienced on the camino.

But maybe there lies my challenge today. Tolérance of others even if they are iinconsiderate.

I guess to clarify what I said, I get the 'endurance' aspect of a Camino, having walked six so far and the Primitivo itself in Sept. 2018.

It is more about the Covid precautions and challenges deeming from that, that make a Camino not a particularly attractive thing to pursue at this time. No matter what one feels about Covid-19, whether they fear it or think the whole thing is entirely overblown as I do, it has brought out the worst of human nature from both sides based on my experiences locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back