• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino LIVE from Via Francigena, June 2022

Anna&Michael

Not all those who wander are lost!
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena: Canterbury, the beginning

A blessing for our pilgrimage, a cathedral filled with the sound of a choir, and then, the first step onto the Pilgrims Way and out of Canterbury into the English countryside.
PXL_20220504_082407264.MP-02_copy_593x792.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am just ahead of you. Took train from Dover back to London and Eurostar to Lille and local SCNF to Calais yesterday. Now in Tournahem s/ Le Hem after a long day today. Bypassed Wissant Guines and Licques by dead reckoning and a bit of help from Waze. This is a beautiful area. Enjoy your trek.
Buen Camino.
Writing this from the Cafe de la Mairie where Madame Nicole has been most welcoming.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am just ahead of you. Took train from Dover back to London and Eurostar to Lille and local SCNF to Calais yesterday. Now in Tournahem s/ Le Hem after a long day today. Bypassed Wissant Guines and Licques by dead reckoning and a bit of help from Waze. This is a beautiful area. Enjoy your trek.
Buen Camino.
Writing this from the Cafe de la Mairie where Madame Nicole has been most welcoming.
Rex, we're actually a bit further ahead, just a bit slow posting. We're staying in Leffond (not Leffonds, which was a few days ago) and heading through Champlitte tomorrow. Enjoy the walking, it's been all good for us so far!
Bon Chemin
Buen Camino.

Crossing from Dover to Calais

We're defeated by the French police.Then saved by a Ukrainian aid convey as we attempted to cross the English Chanel.

Rex, we're actually a bit further ahead, just a bit slow posting. We're staying in Leffond (not Leffonds, which was a few days ago) and heading through Champlitte tomorrow. Enjoy the walking, it's been all good for us so far!
Bon Chemin
Yes, isn't Madame Nicole wonderful, we well remember her big welcoming smile😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We're defeated by the French police.Then saved by a Ukrainian aid convey as we attempted to cross the English Chanel.
So was all that because foot passengers are still not allowed on the ferry?
Up there for thinking...where there's a will, there's a way.
Well done! 👏
👣 🌏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So was all that because foot passengers are still not allowed on the ferry? Up there for thinking...where there's a will, there's a way. Well done! 👏 👣 🌏
I just read last week online that the P&O was up to about 75% since the labor issues.
Any word on if/when foot passengers will again be allowed???

Tried to cross this Monday afternoon..all 3 ferry lines (non of which were busy) DID NOT accept foot passengers! You either have to be in a car or have a bike, one bike per person! There are cab drivers selling you a used bike for about 120BP, a cab sharing with 4 people runs about 200BP. Tried to hitch hike , no luck so I took the train back to London where I stayed with a friend. Tuesday morning I tried all options train bus etc..all booked due to flight cancellations. Found 3 different blahblah car rides by checking every city on the continent just to cross over, but all 3 canceled. Back to Dover and standing at the check in lane for cars with a sign "Pilgrim to Calais" it was about 3pm. In a bit over an hour I got lucky. So happy to finally on my way!
Had I known this before I would have lined up a ride well in advance!!
If you know anybody going please share!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tried to cross this Monday afternoon..all 3 ferry lines (non of which were busy) DID NOT accept foot passengers! You either have to be in a car or have a bike, one bike per person! There are cab drivers selling you a used bike for about 120BP, a cab sharing with 4 people runs about 200BP. Tried to hitch hike , no luck so I took the train back to London where I stayed with a friend. Tuesday morning I tried all options train bus etc..all booked due to flight cancellations. Found 3 different blahblah car rides by checking every city on the continent just to cross over, but all 3 canceled. Back to Dover and standing at the check in lane for cars with a sign "Pilgrim to Calais" it was about 3pm. In a bit over an hour I got lucky. So happy to finally on my way!
Well @Karlgrino, you don't mention where you're actually walking to but...with that determination, you definitely have what it takes to resolve the many challenges all the way to Rome! 👏 👍
Sempre avanti & best wishes for your journey. 🤗
👣 🌏

I just read last week online that the P&O was up to about 75% since the labor issues.
I still don't understand why foot passengers aren't being accepted! 🤷‍♀️
What difference does it make? When I crossed Dover to Calais in 2019, it was well set up for (& well utilised by) foot passengers. Is it just the additional staff required; to process & transport?
👣 🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So was all that because foot passengers are still not allowed on the ferry?
Up there for thinking...where there's a will, there's a way.
Well done! 👏
👣 🌏
Yes, that's the reason. The situation promises to change every week sit doesn't appear to move. Still we got across, and we haven't been threatened with arrest since!

Great thinking and an excellent outcome. Bon voyage.

But to be fair to the French officer, you picked one of the busiest times to cross and his supply of bonhomie would have run out well before he saw you.
That's true and it is very busy. All's well that ends well!

It appears to change every week or so but doesn't change on the ground. DFDS promised a bus but that appears to have gone by the wayside.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You've worked very heard to get across, hopefully it'll be smooth from her on...

I still don't understand why foot passengers aren't being accepted! 🤷‍♀️
What difference does it make? When I crossed Dover to Calais in 2019, it was well set up for (& well utilised by) foot passengers. Is it just the additional staff required; to process & transport?
👣 🌏
To be fair, DFDS and Irish Ferries don't have the passenger boarding equipment set up (not sure if they could) and there are a lot of trucks and cars in the vehicle lanes (you wouldn't want families wandering around them). DFDS promised a bus but that idea has apparently been dropped.

Long-distance walking: Time/Space Warp

Long distance walking can have a strange effect on your perception of time and space.

Via Francigena. On Day 5 in Leulinghem we, apparently, had 1,648 km to walk to Rome. Then on (Day 24) in Corbeil we had 1,600 km. Somehow it feels like we traveled futher than 48 km in 19 days. But we're not complaining, the walking is fabulous, the people are friendly and the wine is excellent.
Bon Chemin

PXL_20220509_110833458.jpgDSC01984~2_copy_404x270.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Liberté Egalité Fraternité on the Via Francigena

Walking a marathon , the kindness of strangers, voting for liberty, equality and fraternity in France and, of course, eating delicious chocolate eclairs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some impressions: 2022 Canterbury to St Bernards Pass.

There are pilgrims on the trail but not masses, we've walked for days without seeing any, have only met a few while actually walking and have sometimes shared accommodation/meals with 3/4 others at a time. The small numbers mean that you get to know those you so meet a lot better.

Accommodation generally hasn't been a hassle, except on weekends in some popular areas (especially long weekends). We've made an effort to book ahead on weekends.

The guidebooks are pretty accurate on where food and accommodation are and while we often had to wait a long time before finding a coffee in France, planning ahead has meant that we haven't gone hungry.

We've used the Official App, the Lightfoot guide and now the Cicerone guide, plus GPS tracks on Gaia GPS. We only used the Cicerrone guide for a couple of days so far, but the Lightfoot guide has been very helpful in providing alternative routes (having the GPX tracks makes a very big difference) and accommodation options.

We've used the digital versions of the guides and the trade-off is that it's harder work thinking though the route options but of course they weigh a lot less.

The French association FFVF have a hardcopy accommodation guide which is very useful as it has more accommodation options and updated contact details (mobile numbers and email make it much so much easier to book accommodation for us non-French speakers). It's in French but that's not an issue given the info is obvious).

We've enjoyed every minute of it so far. Now, Italy awaits tomorrow!

Last edited:
Anna&Michael,
What a lovely blog! I will be following your adventure eagerly on a route I would like to walk soon.
I'm curious about where you stayed your first night out of Canterbury? The VF website puts an overnight stop at Shepherdswell but I don't see any sign of actual accommodation there.
Just curious about the choices people make there. (Of course all the way to Calais looks doable, but I am not built to zoom across the countryside at speed :) )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anna&Michael,
What a lovely blog! I will be following your adventure eagerly on a route I would like to walk soon.
I'm curious about where you stayed your first night out of Canterbury? The VF website puts an overnight stop at Shepherdswell but I don't see any sign of actual accommodation there.
Just curious about the choices people make there. (Of course all the way to Calais looks doable, but I am not built to zoom across the countryside at speed :) )
Apologies for the delay responding but we're still on the trail and not able to attend to everything in a timely manner.

Look on Airbnb for Susanne's place. She is lovely and has a couple of rooms in her house that she rents out. We couldn't find anything else in the district.

Check with her re dinner options, the local pub didn't even have a toasted sandwich on offer when we were there There's a little supermarket (we used her kitchen) and there may be takeaways available on some nights.

Book as early as you can! We could have walked the distance to Dover but we felt a gentle start would be a good idea.

Buen Camino

Crossing the Alps: we follow in the footsteps of Bronze-age traders, Julius Caesar, Napoleon and more than a few cows as we climb the Swiss Alps to St Bernards Pass and then quickly descend into Italy.
DSC02140-01-01_copy_394x263.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Via Francigena: Walking into Tuscany

Tuscany! We leave the Alps behind us and descend through the foothills before weaving our way through the rice fields of Italy's Po Valley.
Then gradually the hills of Tuscany rise in front of us. Cyprus pines, olive groves, terracotta houses and Cisa Pass, the hardest day of our entire Via Francigena.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for all the information! I'm planning VF for 2025 and am collecting as many details as I can.

Bon Chemin!
Let us know if we can assist, we're happy to answer questions if we can be of assistance.
Buon Cammino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well done... next year for this pilgrim. Stopped at Martigny a week ago and am back in Seattle for family business. Already plotting the next legs in 2023.
Godspeed on your next adventure and thanks for sharing your experiences on this one.
A great place to start again. Enjoy the anticipation and the walking next year!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back