• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live on Camino Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
Currently in Cercedilla and plan to be in Segovia this evening. I posted the sign of this wonderful pensione in Cercedilla across from the train station. Very reasonable and wonderful customer care, breakfast and room, very clean. I would love to know if anyone has any updated information on the Madrid Camino: albergue's open with contact information and any other information someone has. I walked this Camino in 2019 and it is very different now with many things closed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Joseph (Chito)

Attachments

• 0422220822.jpg
    0422220822.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen camino, @Chito. I think gronze.com is your best resource for up to date info. Here is a list of what I found open for a forum member walking last September, and I imagine things have gotten better, but if not, certainly not worse!

See my list in this post.

Posada Peña Pintada looks very nice — the options in Cercedilla are increasing!

Good luck, any updates you can provide would be very helpful!

Currently in Cercedilla and plan to be in Segovia this evening. I posted the sign of this wonderful pensione in Cercedilla across from the train station. Very reasonable and wonderful customer care, breakfast and room, very clean. I would love to know if anyone has any updated information on the Madrid Camino: albergue's open with contact information and any other information someone has. I walked this Camino in 2019 and it is very different now with many things closed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Joseph (Chito)
Great to see a live update from the Camino de Madrid. I have flights booked to walk from Madrid to Sahagun in early June, but similar to what others have posted here recently, the accommodation is very scarce. On Gronze.com, most of the albergues are still closed, not sure why? Looking forward to following your updates over the next few weeks, would be great if you could post your experience of which albergues are open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have not really stayed in any Albergues, did stay with Ray and Rosa, which was wonderful as always. It has been rainy and cold and accommodations between Segovia and Añe we're nothing that I could find nor in Añe it self. I took a train to Segovia this morning and I will train to Burgos tomorrow and walk on the Frances, where there is more infrastructure. Hopefully it will change very soon because the Madrid Camino is a wonderful Camino to walk when the albergue's are open.
Great to see a live update from the Camino de Madrid. I have flights booked to walk from Madrid to Sahagun in early June, but similar to what others have posted here recently, the accommodation is very scarce. On Gronze.com, most of the albergues are still closed, not sure why? Looking forward to following your updates over the next few weeks, would be great if you could post your experience of which albergues are open.
Buen camino, @Chito. I think gronze.com is your best resource for up to date info. Here is a list of what I found open for a forum member walking last September, and I imagine things have gotten better, but if not, certainly not worse!

See my list in this post.

Posada Peña Pintada looks very nice — the options in Cercedilla are increasing!

Good luck, any updates you can provide would be very helpful!
Thank you Peregrina 2000. I had hoped to find my groove on the Madrid Camino and for me it just did not work out so I will move up to the Frances and the Inverno. Thank you for the links though which I will save for next time.

You're going to enjoy that Hill. Buen Camino

I am behind you, walked from Colmenar Viejo to Manzanares today in the rain. Did you take the train from Cercedilla to Segovia because the mountain walk is not passable at the moment? Walking to Cercedilla tomorrow and hoping to walk to Valsain on Sunday.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was able to take the train to Segovia today. I highly recommend Piña Pentada in Cercedilla. It's a B and B with a wonderful breakfast and I paid 38 Euros. Staff were wonderful and the room was super clean with a nice Garden area. If you are standing at the train station with your back to it it's just across the street to the left and down about 30 meters.

I am behind you, walked from Colmenar Viejo to Manzanares today in the rain. Did you take the train from Cercedilla to Segovia because the mountain walk is not passable at the moment? Walking to Cercedilla tomorrow and hoping to walk to Valsain on Sunday.
Wishing you the very best on your walk.

Hi guys. I'll be starting from Madrid in 3 weeks, yay. The road into segovia which is closed - is that due to weather or something else? Do you think I'll be able to walk it or should I expect to be on the train? Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi guys. I'll be starting from Madrid in 3 weeks, yay. The road into segovia which is closed - is that due to weather or something else? Do you think I'll be able to walk it or should I expect to be on the train? Thanks!
I am not sure which road you are talking about. I think the actual roads and highways are all open. You can see webcams showing the situation at Puerto de Navacerrada. The camino doesn’t go through the pass, but it is only about 12 km from Cercedilla and pretty directly west of the pass at Fonfría.

I don’t think there is any official “closure” of the camino from Cercedilla (nothing like there is in SJPP on the Francés), but it would be a very good idea to get some up to date info on the weather up there before starting out in Cercedilla. Just looking at weather.com for the area, looks like more snow and rain for today.

Three weeks from now will be a horse of a different color. I cant imagine you will have a snow problem.

Well that webcam puts things in perspective. Maybe I'll need my big coat!!! Thanks for the info

@amy374 How are you getting on with the Camino de Madrid? Are you finding accommodation ok?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It seemed like many accommodations were closed and distances with closures seemed too much for me. I trained to Burgos and now walking the Frances. You seem young and strong and I'm getting older. Buen Camino!

We booked ahead through Segovia, as I was with my sister and we could share a room. We stayed extra days in Madrid and took the train back each night, and in Segovia and took the bus back from Santa Maria el Real. Now I am at the albuergue juvenil in Nava de Ascuncion- which seems to also be a community center where young people practice their instruments - very charming assuming it will stop soon. Expecting to stay in Villeguillo, Alcazaren, and Puento Duero albuergues the next three nights.

We booked ahead through Segovia, as I was with my sister and we could share a room. We stayed extra days in Madrid and took the train back each night, and in Segovia and took the bus back from Santa Maria el Real. Now I am at the albuergue juvenil in Nava de Ascuncion- which seems to also be a community center where young people practice their instruments - very charming assuming it will stop soon. Expecting to stay in Villeguillo, Alcazaren, and Puento Duero albuergues the next three nights.
Thank you very much for the update. I appreciate the info. Are ye planning on walking all way to Sahagun?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I am planning on going to Sahagun and then hopefully on to Santiago. I’m now in Alcazaren, which is very welcoming and has a new albuergue with 4 bunk beds and helpful people at the ayuntamiento (where I got the keys), the tourist office (where I’m enjoying wi-fi access), and the Bar Real.

From before Segovia til today I keep seeing what look like very new signs put up by the regional government- does anyone know if these are new since COVID? The wayfinding signs are very thorough.

The bar and albuergue in Villeguillo were basic and nice, the albuergue was chilly but had nice thick blankets. Anna at the bar was very kind and welcoming, it looks like there have been about 20 pilgrims who have stayed in the albuergue during April. And my Spanish is not good at all but I think she was explaining that the King of Spain came through a few days ago on his way to Sarria?! I shared the albuergue with 5 French cyclists. So far this afternoon I’m the only one in the Alcazaren albuergue.

I’m not sure yet where I’ll stay after Puento Duero, whether I’ll take a day in Valladolid or skip it, whether Penaflor’s albuergue is open, how my feet will do with some longer days ahead.

Attachments

• 405591A3-54B1-47EF-A81C-7A90BA53C4A6.jpeg
    405591A3-54B1-47EF-A81C-7A90BA53C4A6.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
Thanks for your valuable information @amy374 . I will be in Madrid on May 10th and 12th I will start the Camino de Madrid. I will be happy for each of your new informations. 🙏🚶☀️
Buen Camino!

Doesn't anyone walk over the mountain anymore? This is a tough, long but beautiful walk (31km's). If you want to shorten the day a little bit, you can stay at the Albergue Juvenal Villa Castora. It is located about two km's up the hill from Cercedilla.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I am planning on going to Sahagun and then hopefully on to Santiago. I’m now in Alcazaren, which is very welcoming and has a new albuergue with 4 bunk beds and helpful people at the ayuntamiento (where I got the keys), the tourist office (where I’m enjoying wi-fi access), and the Bar Real.

From before Segovia til today I keep seeing what look like very new signs put up by the regional government- does anyone know if these are new since COVID? The wayfinding signs are very thorough.

The bar and albuergue in Villeguillo were basic and nice, the albuergue was chilly but had nice thick blankets. Anna at the bar was very kind and welcoming, it looks like there have been about 20 pilgrims who have stayed in the albuergue during April. And my Spanish is not good at all but I think she was explaining that the King of Spain came through a few days ago on his way to Sarria?! I shared the albuergue with 5 French cyclists. So far this afternoon I’m the only one in the Alcazaren albuergue.

I’m not sure yet where I’ll stay after Puento Duero, whether I’ll take a day in Valladolid or skip it, whether Penaflor’s albuergue is open, how my feet will do with some longer days ahead.
Thank you for the update Amy... I'm adding your update to my notes for June.

Doesn't anyone walk over the mountain anymore? This is a tough, long but beautiful walk (31km's). If you want to shorten the day a little bit, you can stay at the Albergue Juvenal Villa Castora. It is located about two km's op the hill from Cercedilla.
I really wanted to walk over the mountain but was told that the snow was knee deep and unadvisable to try it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm keeping an eye on the webcam for that mountain pass. Snow is melting. Still there but definitely reducing. I start May 15 and expect a clear path!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this route and have walked the mountain with and without snow. It just seems like every time I read a Madrid live Camino people do not walk over the mountain. I would not want anyone to put themselves in danger but this is the only real challenging day on this Camino. Btw I am (72). I walked this route in 2016 with snow and 2021 without. The mountain was hard both times but doable.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey man - Shaun here. Im planning on a 1 June start from Madrid - might see you around. Im very nervous that accom might be closed.......
Hi Shaun. Paul here. Accommodation is definitely an issue on the Madrid. I’ve booked some private places for the first few nights. I’m hoping from Segovia onwards that there will be sufficient albergues open.

Hi Shaun. Paul here. Accommodation is definitely an issue on the Madrid. I’ve booked some private places for the first few nights. I’m hoping from Segovia onwards that there will be sufficient albergues open.
Hi Paul - you are wise pilgrim! Will crack on and do that too :)

The Camino routes don’t seem easy anymore. This is not progress.

First timer to Madrid route here, which mountain do you all keep mentioning? I'll be starting my walk May 14th from Madrid and have booked my first week of accommodations. I'll take any tips I can get! Robin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First timer to Madrid route here, which mountain do you all keep mentioning? I'll be starting my walk May 14th from Madrid and have booked my first week of accommodations. I'll take any tips I can get! Robin
The Sierra Guadarrama between Cercedilla and Segovia. 62A4E4AE-4CEF-4238-A291-F7D618C22EBD.jpeg

The Sierra Guadarrama between Cercedilla and Segovia. View attachment 124445
Doesn't anyone walk over the mountain anymore?

which mountain do you all keep mentioning?
Hi @HeyRobin
The above is correct info but @jpflavin1 is speaking about the ‘pass’ over call El puerto de la fuenfría .

Most people would ‘prefer’ to walk over but when advised by local experts ‘not to do so’ due to bad conditions - they feel irresponsible to head over., and catch the train. By May it is usually passable though.
I hope you enjoy it.
Buen camino
Annie

Well this is quite the surprise- accomodation is almost impossible on 3rd June in Cervedilla . A festival is on, of course ! Really didn’t think it would this difficult. Chose the Madrid to make things easier ( face palm).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well this is quite the surprise- accomodation is almost impossible on 3rd June in Cervedilla . A festival is on, of course ! Really didn’t think it would this difficult. Chose the Madrid to make things easier ( face palm).
Did you try the Albergue Juvenil Villa Castora?

Last edited:
I managed to find an AirB&B in Cercedilla. Everything else was booked out.

Did you try the Albergue Juvenil Villa Castora?
This is the reply from Villa Castora...
"As a result of the humanitarian crisis resulting from the invasion of Ukraine, the Community of Madrid has launched an important assistance operation to help refugees.

Within this operation, the youth hostels of the Community of Madrid will be used, among other facilities, for the temporary reception of refugees, so at the moment we cannot make reservations."

€83,-
This is the reply from Villa Castora...
"As a result of the humanitarian crisis resulting from the invasion of Ukraine, the Community of Madrid has launched an important assistance operation to help refugees.

Within this operation, the youth hostels of the Community of Madrid will be used, among other facilities, for the temporary reception of refugees, so at the moment we cannot make reservations."
Bummer, I have never had a reservation there. I just always walked up. If I read the response correctly, there are just not taking reservations in advance. You can always call the day before to check if availability. Is all accommodation in town reserved?

The Madrid is a very rural walk after Segovia.

I have not seen more postings from Amy since Alcazaren regarding accommodation. Peregrino Paul starts his walk on May 14th and could provide feedback on what is and isn't open. I walked this route Fall 2021 and found accommodation so lacking after Segovia, I jumped to the San Salvador and then the Primitivo.

Covid restrictions have made accommodation more challenging.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Madrid is a very rural walk after Segovia.

I have not seen more postings from Amy since Alcazaren regarding accommodation. Peregrino Paul starts his walk on May 14th and could provide feedback on what is and isn't open. I walked this route Fall 2021 and found accommodation so lacking after Segovia, I jumped to the San Salvador and then the Primitivo.

Covid restrictions have made accommodation more challenging.
I’ve left the Madrid walk and headed west after Penaflor, but understand that all of the albuergues from Villeguillo onwards on the Madrid are open. I stayed in albuergues in Villeguillo, Alcazaren, Puento Duero, and Penaflor de Hornija, all very good, and Arturo in Puento Duero (the president of the Amigos de Camino in Valladolid) assured me that all the albuergues onward are open. In Nava de Ascuncion I stayed in the albuergue juvenil. I think the hardest point is Santa María, it’s a really long walk unless Los Huertos is open, and Hostal Avanto is about 2km out of town along the highway. You can see it coming into town but it’s across the train tracks and you can’t get there without going to town first.

I love this route and have walked the mountain with and without snow. It just seems like every time I read a Madrid live Camino people do not walk over the mountain. I would not want anyone to put themselves in danger but this is the only real challenging day on this Camino. Btw I am (72). I walked this route in 2016 with snow and 2021 without. The mountain was hard both times but doable.

Thanks for your valuable information @amy374 . I will be in Madrid on May 10th and 12th I will start the Camino de Madrid. I will be happy for each of your new informations. 🙏🚶☀️
Buen Camino!
Hi m108, I'm just wondering if you did the complete Camino Madrid and how you found the accommodation and food availability? I am considering doing it in March/April 23, TIA

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back