• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live tracker on Wikiloc?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am using wikiloc to follow tracks and at the same time record my walk. A few days ago something popped up on my phone asking if I wanted to share live. Another feature I didn’t know about. Some of my family would like to be able see where I actually am when I’m walking but I need to figure it out first.

If anyone is interested, most likely because you would like your family to see where you are while walking, let me know and I’ll try to figure out how to share my tracks with you. I assume I can do this on an individual basis, because I don’t think anyone wants to share their current whereabouts with the whole world. Right now I am walking in Portugal, usually walking around 7- 2.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The link to Wikiloc's live tracking help page is below. It doesn't say whether or not you need to have the app installed to follow someone. Maybe someone who doesn't have it will volunteer to see if it works in, say, a browser.

I have an AirTag attached to my pack and crossbody bag so that may family knows where I am and I can find my pack or bag if lost/stolen. Just some peace of mind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another option is to use Google maps to share your location with the ones who want to track you. We did this on our last camino and my mom enjoyed following us along the way. She didn't have to do anything more than bring up Google maps on her computer.

The link to Wikiloc's live tracking help page is below. It doesn't say whether or not you need to have the app installed to follow someone. Maybe someone who doesn't have it will volunteer to see if it works in, say, a browser.
I don't have wikiloc but would love to try and follow @peregrina2000 , if she's happy to share. I should have been near finishing the Portugues coastal, but postponed due to health issues with OH. Hope to walk May/June 2023.

Another option is to use Google maps to share your location with the ones who want to track you. We did this on our last camino and my mom enjoyed following us along the way. She didn't have to do anything more than bring up Google maps on her computer.
I always do this.

It's really easy to share your location on Google maps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie turned on Wikiloc tracking for a couple of days and shared her track with me. This post is to share what I learned. First it may help to re-read the Wikiloc article I posted earlier (in post #2 above).

https://help.wikiloc.com/article/468-live-tracking

The article says that are a number of ways that a track sharing invitation can be made. I asked for it to be done by email. I ended up getting sent a simple email message that looked like this (I've changed the ID codes though):

Follow me Live at @Wikiloc!

A security concern with this though is the email was sent with Laurie's email account, not an email sent by Wikiloc on Laurie's behalf with her email address being anonymous.

The good news about this method though is that the person following the track does not need to have the Wikiloc app installed. I used two phones to test this, one with the app and one without. The phone with the app behaved the same as the one without the app. And that was that clicking the link brought up the default browser for the email app.

There were some problems zooming in to get to see the levels where buildings could be seen. The track shifted over some but was close enough to the road to know where it really was. This may have been due to my apps; I used my phone for everything.

Laurie noticed that she was being followed by four (or was it five?) but had only invited me. That is concerning but I suspect that Wikiloc is just counting the clicks on the link in the email and I had done that at least three times.

I had fun following the track but I only peeked three times. The first time was about 3:00 Portugal time, seven hours ahead of me. Besides seeing the green track she was following and her yellow track I was told her latitude and longitude and also that she hadn't moved in 45 minutes. I figured she had stopped for lunch or checked into an albergue for the day even though she had more green track to go. There were two rectangular buildings there, one labeled a chapel and an labeled one across the road. Not far away a truck stop has labelled as having lodging. So, a little mystery.

A couple hours later I saw that she had continued following the green track to a town but then diverged from it. I don't remember being given her location by coordinates but every twenty seconds the yellow track got longer.

With the next check I saw her at a lodging near a castle (later found to be more like the location of an old castle). The track wandered about the building before being terminated. A note said that her track had been saved to Wikiloc.com and there was a link. No coordinates were given but using the name in the lodging's label or examing maps for the town she was in (given in the basemap) or analyzing the data in the track at Wikiloc the location could be determined by coordinates if I wanted to call a missile strike on her. I used Google Maps to find the lodging by name (mystery three solved) and viewed photos of rooms there and explored the town. Then I used the Wikiloc app to view her track. Again, there was no coordinates given but they are there in the gps file if you know how to look. More fun here. Laurie added some photos and comments for some waypoints she added to her track. One at 2:14 showed her picture of a small chapel with a large portico making a long rectangular building and it the comment that the place was a good one to have lunch. Mystery one solved. For the next waypoint she mentioned that the track she was following went one way but she took the way that the arrows indicated (like she mentioned in a recent post). Mystery two solved.

I haven't yet tried Google Maps tracking to give a comparison between it and Wikiloc. If you are using Wikiloc to follow a track it may save some battery to let your people follow you by that app and avoid Google Maps too but I have to say that I really don't see much value in Wikiloc tracking. I really believe that the excess number of followers is a program design problem of using a simple algorithm and not a real security problem.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.