• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Living Camino Saints

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Priest in Ponferrada for whom I volunteered in 2002. Fron then to 2014, he assisted this old pilgrim/hospitalera quite a bit.

...So who's your favorite camino saint?
I prefer to call them Camino angels--here's mine: Christina and Gustavo at the farmacía in Grañon; Gordon at Casa Bandera in Vila Chá; John, Stephen, and Danny in Santiago, and Edward at the Santiago railway station. Each performed some special act or service for my wife or me along the way, and for their kindness they remain in our hearts. And of course there's Fernanda on the Camino Portugués, who's been a special saint for so many guests in her home over the years. Plus the countless individual fellow pilgrims who for a brief time carried a load, loaned a hand, shared a prayer or a hug when it was most needed, or provided something a simple as an aspirin or a band-aid for a stranger.

I didn't say who mine is because I can't decide.
There are countless good people who walk and serve. But saints? They're another order of magnitude of good. The healers, the inspirers, the people who over the years have made the way what it is.
One hears about people like Robert and you know they're special.
Jesus Jato comes to mind. And a few people here who I won't embarrass by naming them.

Asun in A Rua on Invierno.
Owner of As Vinas Pension in A Pobra de Brollon on Invierno.
Miguel/Manuel (???), the owner of small tienda and hospitalero in 2014 in Zamarramala (mi hermano republicano).
Female doctor in ER in Logrono that told me back in 2009 that I should return home (injury) because Camino will be still there when I return.
A local pilgrim couple I hitchhiked on Via de Bayona last summer and the hospitalero that drove me back the next day.
@SYates which sent me a jar of Marmite and a jar of Vegemite as a Christmas present from Prague last December.
@peregrina2000 who got so (cute) angry because I didn't get a bed in La Robla albergue on Salvador last summer due to group of "send-ahead-backpackers".
Sandra at Benduenos albergue on Salvador.
Co-owner of Albergue de Paz in Fisterra.
@gerardcarey for his beautiful stories.
Ditch-pigs group and especially @Rebekah Scott for amazing job they do each fall.
Every hospitalero/a that listened to me and assigned me to a "snorers room".
Rosana and Conchi who managed to organize a mattress for me in a classroom in Casa de Cultura in Nava de la Asuncion on Camino de Madrid (I was the first one to sleep there).
The mayor of Grajal de Campos who let me stay in unfinished albergue in Castello and have it all to myself (Camino de Madrid, 2014).
Couple that runs the restaurante in Sieteiglesias de Trabancos on Levante who prepared my delicious dinner after the kitchen was closed.
Not last but least my beautiful chica Catalana from Barcelona who made my first complete Camino Frances just perfect.

And the list of Camino Saints/Angels could go on and on. So many fond memories...

Last edited:
And here we GO! I was waiting for this thread to get going, and I knew it would.

I have such an incomplete memory about my first time walking Camino Frances, as I was--at the time--in a bit of shock! I had planned and thought and wished and hoped and found myself out there, and by golly, the first few days were pretty rough.

I got myself up over the Pyrenees from SJPP, and a few of my first angels were two sisters from England. We were in that little shelter seeking refuge from the storm (it was storming on the Pyrenees--something moved in and we were caught in it), and the girls were so funny and kind. We had spent the previous night in a room together at Beilari, and their senses of humor had matched mine, and they were just hilarious young women. Anyway, in the little shelter, they handed me their thermos of hot chocolate, as I recall, and we all had a little meal and checked in on each other.

In Pamplona, I stumbled in incredibly exhausted and ill. One of the brothers-see a sibling pattern here?--called me Angel Grandmother, and took very gentle care of me. When I told him I was too ill the next day to travel and asked if I might stay another night, the answer was a very kind yes--and I realized he had put me in the back corner of the albergue near a slightly opened window. He gave me instructions to keep it open, and also told me he was giving others the same instructions! (the previous night, I was in a room with several French women walking Le Puy who had been very ill). While there, my friend and forum member brought me chocolate.

A very special person helped me in, I think, Navarette. I was not breathing well at all, and a previous night, I had been "touched" (yuk, yes, it shocked me--don't do it to others, people!) by a guy who had woken up the entire dorm room with his bag rustling and flashlight at 10 PM (yes, we were all sleeping at that point). I was ill, snoring and coughing, and couldn't breathe well. Anyway--in Navarette I asked the very adorable hospitalera-- a very earthy woman in beret, lots of purple, baggy hippie-style pants--if I could have a room by myself. I would have been glad to pay. She shushed me, smiled, and led me to a dorm at the top of the stairs. A circular window appeared facing east, and as I lay in my top bunk (I could have had the bottom!) I gazed out at the beautiful city. It was bliss. I slept like a baby. That night, however, I went out to dinner with another pair of sisters and a new friend from Portugal, and when I saw my hospitalera angel sitting at a table outside, she called me over to give her a hug. I surprised her with a gift of beautiful beaded earrings, which I had brought with me (I take stuff to give my special helpers on journeys such as this).

These are a few people, aside from my friend online here, who I consider to be unique and thoughtful!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back