• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Living on the Camino is a blast!

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Since the beginning of March I am (temporarily) living in Ribadesella, right on the Camino del Norte.

I would never have believed this 3 years ago... In May 2015 I took a sabbatical of 4 months from my office job. First I walked from Burgundy in France to Santiago de Compostela and after that I volunteered 6 weeks at an animal sanctuary on the Asturian countryside. Then I was sure I wanted to change my life.

And look at me now! I have quit my job, sold my house and left for Spain in July 2017. I started (of course) with a Camino to mark my new future. I walked on the Norte from Irún to Cuerres (7 kms before Ribadesella) where I totally unplanned ended up as a hospitalera. I arrived on Friday afternoon as a pilgrim and Saturday morning I was serving breakfast to my former fellow pilgrims. I stayed and worked there for 2,5 weeks and after that started travelling and volunteering throughout Spain. To learn about living on the countryside and to see more of the country. In January 2018 I came back to my first love: Asturias.

Now I am using Ribadesella as a base to prepare my emigration and to find a small house and a piece of land here. Every day I see pilgrims passing by. This weekend I decided to mingle a bith with them, by setting off from my home. Yesterday I walked from Ribadesella to Colunga and today from Colunga to Villaviciosa (from where I took a bus home). I met a Canadian on the way, and she said: 'Wow, it must be wonderful to start walking on the Camino straight from your home.' She's right. Who would have thought this 3 years ago? Not me.

How the Camino can change lives...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since the beginning of March I am (temporarily) living in Ribadesella, right on the Camino del Norte.

I would never have believed this 3 years ago... In May 2015 I took a sabbatical of 4 months from my office job. First I walked from Burgundy in France to Santiago de Compostela and after that I volunteered 6 weeks at an animal sanctuary on the Asturian countryside. Then I was sure I wanted to change my life.

And look at me now! I have quit my job, sold my house and left for Spain in July 2017. I started (of course) with a Camino to mark my new future. I walked on the Norte from Irún to Cuerres (7 kms before Ribadesella) where I totally unplanned ended up as a hospitalera. I arrived on Friday afternoon as a pilgrim and Saturday morning I was serving breakfast to my former fellow pilgrims. I stayed and worked there for 2,5 weeks and after that started travelling and volunteering throughout Spain. To learn about living on the countryside and to see more of the country. In January 2018 I came back to my first love: Asturias.

Now I am using Ribadesella as a base to prepare my emigration and to find a small house and a piece of land here. Every day I see pilgrims passing by. This weekend I decided to mingle a bith with them, by setting off from my home. Yesterday I walked from Ribadesella to Colunga and today from Colunga to Villaviciosa (from where I took a bus home). I met a Canadian on the way, and she said: 'Wow, it must be wonderful to start walking on the Camino straight from your home.' She's right. Who would have thought this 3 years ago? Not me.

Hi Luka
Good for you
I'm definitely impressed!!
The best of luck for your future
Annette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful to hear Luka!
All the best with your future plans. Shall we bring " hagelslag en pindakaas " over from the Low Lands when we come over ? :) Just kidding...
Take good care and keep us posted if you like.

Hagelslag!! Nate and I love that stuff! (Reminds us of our days in Amsterdam.) Sabine, do you know if they make gluten-free stroopwafels? Now that I have to be GF I really, really miss them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@natefaith that is the peanut butter I love! Thanks, but the nearest Carrefour is 260 kms away... I still have a jar from the Netherlands in the kitchen. And I will be back there the end of June to clear my apartment. So no shortage in the near future ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Good girl ! We only get one shot at this life so make the best of your time ! Good luck and stay happy !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How wonderful to read your story. I wish you every blessing for the future, as you continue on life's Camino.

Ribadessalla is very beautiful. What a wonderful place to make your home. Best of luck Maggie

How exciting!
What's your blog address?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Luka, Go for it girl ! have a great time while you can.
I'm 81 now and regret that I only found out about the caminos after I was unable to walk far.
I went to where you are staying on a trip in 2011 and took the small train to Ferrol.
Lovely countryside.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back