• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Living on the Camino today

hughb

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte June 2013 plus Finisterre
Norrte 2015
Ingles 2016
Portuguese 2018 and 2019
Fatima routes
So for all my pilgrim friends, met or unmet, living anywhere around the world here is the view from my house near the caminho Portuguese. Its a wonderful view, but not pretty.

Firstly for all the pilgrims who have had to postpone your caminho, you are blessed and lucky. You are alive and free. I fully realise that the virus is now worldwide, but Italy, Spain, France and Portugal are some of the worst hit. I am not allowed out of the house except for food shopping or to walk the dog. It's been like this for over a week. I live in a quiet village, it's now silent. At the bakery this morning, yes there is still fresh bread every day, I met 2 friends, no kisses or hand shakes, instead 2 metres. At least in Portugal everyone obeys the rules without question. When the state of emergency was announced to start in 2 days, it simply started immediately. No-one dared to argue.

Although I am officially old, I am collecting food for older people and leaving it on their gate. People have left produce from their land hanging on my gate. The village spirit survives. And then at the bakery, as an outsider stopped for bread, conversation stopped. As he left, it started again.

I think that it will be the same for pilgrims when travel restarts. Treated with suspicion rather than love and support. It will take a long time before the Camino is the same.

It will I am sure be different in the cities, they will always be cosmopolitan, but in the rural areas, I am getting the feeling that it will remain different for a long time. So before you book your flight, be aware of the feelings of the local community.

As a footnote. As I sit here, the church bells are ringing. Someone has died. Even funerals are banned. In normal times, everyone in the village attends the funerals. Even if only to follow the coffin out of respect from the church, for a kilometre along the main road to the cemetery. Now only the immediate family are allowed.

Life has changed. So has the Camino.

Please stay safe. May God bless you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'Tempora mutantur, tempora mutamur in illis': times changes and we change with them - and so does the camino (as it has done every day since it began).

So for all my pilgrim friends, met or unmet, living anywhere around the world here is the view from my house near the caminho Portuguese. Its a wonderful view, but not pretty.

Firstly for all the pilgrims who have had to postpone your caminho, you are blessed and lucky. You are alive and free. I fully realise that the virus is now worldwide, but Italy, Spain, France and Portugal are some of the worst hit. I am not allowed out of the house except for food shopping or to walk the dog. It's been like this for over a week. I live in a quiet village, it's now silent. At the bakery this morning, yes there is still fresh bread every day, I met 2 friends, no kisses or hand shakes, instead 2 metres. At least in Portugal everyone obeys the rules without question. When the state of emergency was announced to start in 2 days, it simply started immediately. No-one dared to argue.

Although I am officially old, I am collecting food for older people and leaving it on their gate. People have left produce from their land hanging on my gate. The village spirit survives. And then at the bakery, as an outsider stopped for bread, conversation stopped. As he left, it started again.

I think that it will be the same for pilgrims when travel restarts. Treated with suspicion rather than love and support. It will take a long time before the Camino is the same.

It will I am sure be different in the cities, they will always be cosmopolitan, but in the rural areas, I am getting the feeling that it will remain different for a long time. So before you book your flight, be aware of the feelings of the local community.

As a footnote. As I sit here, the church bells are ringing. Someone has died. Even funerals are banned. In normal times, everyone in the village attends the funerals. Even if only to follow the coffin out of respect from the church, for a kilometre along the main road to the cemetery. Now only the immediate family are allowed.

Thank you for the insight. Stay safe & take care.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Do you mind if I share your message with some Camino Facebook groups? I think that people need to know what the situation is right now in Portugal and Spain.

Reading your post made me very sad.I remember the days walking the Portuguese Camino from Lisboa with great fondness. The Portuguese people was so kind and friendly. It was a lonely walk in 2014 but I did not feel alone because I was met with kindness and smiles every day. May this crisis soon be over.

Thank you. My husband and I were due to walk the Caminho Portuguese, from Porto, in May. We are in the UK and had made arrangements to meet with 2 American friends there, so we could all walk together. I hope and pray that we will still be able to enjoy this great adventure together one day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank y

Thank you for creating beautiful pictures in my mind of the camino as I sit here looking out the window

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back