• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Loads of snow at O Cebreiro!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's some pictures I took earlier this week: http://imgur.com/a/ItiC4

If you don't like the cold: avoid higher altitudes!
If you fancy walking through the winter wonderland: now is the time to go!

Beiramar:

Your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing.

I do not mind the snow and cold when hiking but do like a heated sleeping space. That said, you do look nice and bundled up in your bag.

Ultreya,
Joe

The public albergues in O Cebreiro, Triacastela and Sarria were all open, well populated and heated. The one in Pereje was an exception. We called them beforehand, so we were prepared for the lack of warmth.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great photos and must be a marvellous experience but you are braver than I, would not dream of trying that. Was watching some children tobogganing at O Cebreiro today on the web cam and thinking, no chance of seeing any pilgrims up there. You have proved me wrong :)

Thanks for nice pictures!

Having been a soldier skiing on border patrols agains Finland and (the then) Soviet Union and sleeping in small tents in -30C (-22F) (or lower!) for a week each time, with only small kerosine stoves to keep us from freezing to death (literally), I have (after seeing your pictures) decided that my Camino starting date of April 8th this year is now veery firmly settled, and very appropriate.

Buen Camino! You are brave!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The photos do your winter effort full justice!
Now you truly deserve a late spring or early summer Camino:rolleyes:
Buen (warmer the next time) Camino

Thanks for nice pictures!

Having been a soldier skiing on border patrols agains Finland and (the then) Soviet Union and sleeping in small tents in -30C (-22F) (or lower!) for a week each time, with only small kerosine stoves to keep us from freezing to death (literally), I have (after seeing your pictures) decided that my Camino starting date of April 8th this year is now veery firmly settled, and very appropriate.

Buen Camino! You are brave!

Thank you!
Your experience sounds actually really interesting, well, besides the fact of being a soldier.
These days, with proper equipment, long distance cross country skiing and camping north of the polar circle are quite popular.
Kungsleden (400km) and Nordkalottleden (800km) are two good examples of winter trails. Not as crowded as the Camino in summer, but full of people who enjoy a little cold and possible whiteouts.

The pictures are beautiful. But I am allergic to snow. Having grown up where 5 feet fall every winter, I got away as soon as I could. Currently 20 C outside my window. You are brave to tackle the Camino in this weather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The pictures are beautiful. But I am allergic to snow. Having grown up where 5 feet fall every winter, I got away as soon as I could. Currently 20 C outside my window. You are brave to tackle the Camino in this weather.
Just a guess, but I'd lay my money on Minnesota!

Love the photos! Makes me feel a lot better about my Camino Primitivo in Feb/March :)

Can I ask what temperature rating your sleeping has, and if you are finding it suitable?

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love the photos! Makes me feel a lot better about my Camino Primitivo in Feb/March :)

Can I ask what temperature rating your sleeping has, and if you are finding it suitable?

Buen Camino!

It's a very warm sleeping bag, becuase I also use it outside (in Portugal) at this time of the year. I can definitely recommend it- really cheap and good quality. (I didn't pay nearly as much as indicated in the link)
Mountain Equipment Classic Women's 750
  • Extreme:-30°C/-22°F
  • Comfort Limit:-12°C/10°F
  • Comfort:-5°C/23°F
  • Good Nights Sleep:-15°C/-5°F
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-classic-750

Indoors I use it opened up as a blanket or just take one of the albergues blankets.

WOW!!! I love it... lucky you.... When I passed through last year (November 2013), it snowed and was pretty cold, but nothing like this!!

Just a guess, but I'd lay my money on Minnesota!
I think almost any state that starts with M would qualify: Maine, Michigan, Montana, Minnesota, but not Maryland or Missouri. I grew up in the hills of western Massachusetts where winter lasts 6 months ( or feels like it anyway).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the photos. I leave in two days - will be starting in Pamplona. I have a good sleeping bag and nice warm layers of clothing. All prepared. Looks beautiful! I am filled with great joy to be back on the Camino. This is my third time. I am going on my own this time. I am a Catholic priest and this will be retreat time for me!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
beiramar (S-A),
When I look back on one of your first attempts on Camino and how you were concerned about the speed of the traffic along the Way. I am pleasantly surprised and pleased you are on Camino and enjoying snow as it is meant to be...deep, powder and cool.
Buen Camino,

Arn

Thank you for sharing! It's not for me (winter camino), but it's breath-takingly beautiful. I also grew up in one of the 'M' states- Minnesota, and twenty years of l-o-n-g winters was plenty for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think almost any state that starts with M would qualify: Maine, Michigan, Montana, Minnesota, but not Maryland or Missouri. I grew up in the hills of western Massachusetts where winter lasts 6 months ( or feels like it anyway).
Fair enough. I've only visited the 4th on your list, once, in winter, when the temp was 30 below. And I guess it doesn't make much difference, F or C. Sorry this is all irrelevant to the thread!

Sorry this is all irrelevant to the thread!
To keep it irrelevant, Valdez, Alaska gets about 325" of snow annually! The temperature is quite warm for Alaska, however. The port is the northern most ice-free port in the U.S. When Buffalo, New York is buried in lake effect snow, it still does not come close to Valdez.:)

Stayed in Pereje in February 2013 and no heat and no sleeping bag but there were plenty of Blankets and my thermals so made it through the night. Had to leave the road and walk in the fields climbing to O Cebreiro as the snow was so deep

coming back again in February 2016 with a sleeping bag !!

Great memories of my Italian friends who christened me El Papa when I went to bed with my woolie hat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back