• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Local bus and baggage service along the Via de la Plata

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Another member asked me about baggage and local bus transportation along the Via de la Plata and since i am getting first hand experience given my wife's knee issue, i though i share what i have learned so far.

From Sevilla to Merida the primary bus line is Leda. it has the most frequent service and offers the most stops in most towns (but not all towns) along this section. Alsa also operates here ( Leda is owned by Alsa) but offer less times and stops less often.

From Merida to Caceres the primary service is Alsa bus lines. Leda has a morning bus and late afternoon bus but it stops only a few towns along the way. The mid morning Alsa bus stops at most towns but again not all.

Special note: Yon can not always buy a ticket even the schedule suggests you can. For example we wanted to buy a ticket from Merida to Caceres for the 10:10 morning bus but were told we could buy a ticket to Plasencia, whereby we could then simply get off at Caceres. Don't ask why.

From Salamanca north to Ourense and then on to Santiago the situation is extremely challenging. There are direct buses to Zamora from Salamanca for example but I am unsure if they stop anywhere along the way. After Zamora you can only go to Leon for example. There is a late/ afternoon evening bus from Zamorra to Ourense which does stop at one or two places only.

From Ourense to Santiago there are more options via bus but not many.

Also to add to the challenge the little regional train service is stopping as of this June.

Personally if you want or need baggage or alternate local transportation services, north of Salamanca on the via de la plata is a major challenge.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Further update:

For those in need of public transportation here is an update from Salamanca on to Ourense.

There are a number of buses that service the route from Salamanca to Zamora but none I found that stop at the towns in between except Alsa bus which appears to have a late afternoon run.

The next section I was able to find some local bus transportation was between
Santa Marta de Tera and Puebla de Sanabria.

The bus leaves benavente about 13:50 and passes through this region once a day, making stops along the way. You will need to flag down the bus and ask the driver to let you off at the town you want.

There is a little train that travels between Lubian and A Gudina but I did not get the exact details on it.

In order to travel between A Gudina and Laza since the town in between Campobecerros is fully booked up with AVG workers you can catch the local school bus that goes to Verin. It leaves from the school beside the albergue at approx 10 am. Once in Verin you can either taxi to Laza or catch the 2:15 pm bus there.

If you don't want to walk the steep hill from Laza to Alberguería you can catch a early morning bus at 6:30 am from Laza. It stops at Alberguería and later Vilar de Barrio.

Thanks Neville.
Not sure how you are finding all of these details..
I have always found that it takes up a great deal of time trying to gather this type of info while actually walking unless you run into a very knowledgeable English speaking Angel..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just a small addition - the Cazeres to Casar de Cazeres line is operated by Norbabus

Further update from Ourense to Santiago bus service :

For those needing to bus through this section there is a daily afternoon bus that travels from Ourense to Santiago stopping at some of the key towns that line the 525 highway. It does not stop at all locations so it is important to check.

I have also seen adverts for a pilgrim taxi service to Santiago but I do not have any details on it.

Jirit,
Sorry to hear of your wife's knee problems. It really pitches a wrench into the works of pilgrimage. Glad you are able to enjoy the journey together, even if you are not walking the whole way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back