• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

local bus from santiago airport to sarria

cloudcatcher

hi
was just wondering if its easy enough to catch a local bus from santiago airport to sarria
the flight lands at about 15:40 and i would hope to sarria the same day, in order to start walking the next day
any information appreciated :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks like Monbus have a daily departure from Santiago to Sarria at 18:00. Should be enough time to get from the airport into the central bus station, if nobody is able to suggest a direct bus from the airport to Sarria.

Some of the Santiago-Sarria buses actually stop at the airport en route to Sarria. I'm not sure if all do but I am certain a few do - worth checking out to avoid the trip into Santiago since I assume you'll be walking there anyway :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
cloudcatcher said:
hi
was just wondering if its easy enough to catch a local bus from santiago airport to sarria
the flight lands at about 15:40 and i would hope to sarria the same day, in order to start walking the next day
any information appreciated :)

Bus outside airport (Empresafreire), leaves at 16:10 for Lugo arrives 18:05.
Bus Lugo for Sarria (Alsa) leaves at 18.35 arrives Sarria at 19.05 from same spot.
Lugo is an interesting walled city.

I checked following web sites for 22 May 2012.
The Empresafreire bus from Santiago to Lugo
http://www.empresafreire.com/
does stop at Santiago Airport 10 minutes later from Santiago departure time
I checked following web sites for 22 May 2012.
Departs from Santiago Airport for Lugo at
7.10 9.25 11.10 12.55 16.10 18.40 and 20.10 and arrives at Lugo app 2 hours later.
I cannot find fare, but I think approximately Eu 7.

Bus from Lugo
http://alsa.es/
Departs from Lugo to Sarria at
6.45 8.30 10.35 12.00 12.45 13.45 15.20 17.30 18.35 20.00 20.45
Fare Eu 3.40

See previous correspondence.
el-camino-frances/topic11721.html

This is what I got last September. Including churches' schedules

BUSES SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - LUGO
Depart.
Bus station Airport Arriving Days of Service
7:00 7:10 9:00 SMTWTFS
9:15 MTWTF (Monday to Friday)
11:00 11:10 13:00 SMTWTFS
16:00 16:10 18:05 SMTWTFS
17:00 17:10 18:35 SMTWTFS
18:30 18:40 20:30 SMTWTFS
20:00 20:10 21:55 MTWTFS (no Saturday)
21:00 F (Friday periodo lectivo) - (when schools are open)
21:30 21:40 23:05 S (Sunday periodo lectivo)

http://www.sarria.es/pdf/Horario%20Lugo-Stgo.pdf

LUGO - SARRIA
D(SUN) L(MON) M(TUE) X(WED) J(THU) V(FRI) S(SAT)
SALIDA 06:45 LLEGADA 07:15 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 08:30 LLEGADA 09:00 LMXJV
SALIDA 10:35 LLEGADA 11:05 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 12:00 LLEGADA12:30 DLMXJV
SALIDA 12:45 LLEGADA13:15 LMXJV
SALIDA 13:45 LLEGADA14:15 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 15:20 LLEGADA15:50 LMXJV
SALIDA 17:30 LLEGADA 18:00 LMXJV
SALIDA18:35 LLEGADA19:05 LMXJV
SALIDA20:00 LLEGADA 20:3 LMXJV
SALIDA 20:45 LLEGADA21:15 DLMXJVS
(this is the schedule i get for september 23, 2011) Cost 3.40 euros

http://www.monbus.es

CHURCHES’ SCHEDULES IN SARRIA
EXPEDICIĂ“N Y SELLADO DE CREDENCIALES (PASSPORTS)

Santa Mariña* (* Only March to November)
RĂşa Maior
Tuesday-Sunday 11:00h a 13:00h and 17:00h a 20:30h
Monday Closed

Mosteiro da Madalena
RĂşa da Mercede
08:30h a 13:00h and 16:00h a 19:00h
Every day (knock the door)

Santiago de Barbadelo*(* Only March to November)
Barbadelo
De 08:30h a 12:30h y de 17:00h a 19:00h
Monday Closed

Santiago Airport to Lugo Schedule:

Leave Arrive Days
7:10 9:00 LMMJVSD
9:25 11:25 LMMJV
11:10 13:00 LMMJVSD
12:55 14:35 LMMJVS
16:10 18:05 LMMJVSD
18:40 20:30 LMMJVSD
20:10 21:55 LMMJVD

The fare is 3 Euro. If you catch the 1840 bus, you will be able to get the last bus from Lugo to Sarria.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
Santiago Airport to Lugo Schedule:

The fare is 3 Euro. If you catch the 1840 bus, you will be able to get the last bus from Lugo to Sarria.

Nice price for 2 hour trip for 3 Euro. Are you sure of this.
Methodist.pilgrim.98 says.
“ps You can pay the driver. It is a good idea to have either change or 5 & 10€ notes to pay them with.

Santiago to Lugo 8.35, Sarria to Lugo 3.35, in December 2010 but allow for the fact the fares might have gone up.”

traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11324.html

No. The 3 E fare is from the airport to Santiago. The website lost my airport to Lugo instructions, and went to some default! It will be a bit more. Exact fare is not necessary. The driver has change, and normally will accept large bills, sometimes with a scowl. :mrgreen:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very helpful discussion, thank you all! from what was posted I've been able to relook at my original plans to possibly save some time. I'm planning to start walking from Leon. Would appreciate any views on the following:
I'm landing at Santiago airport on May 31st at 15h40
Seems there is a local bus from the airport at 16h10, arriving in Lugo at 18h05?
I've checked the ALSA website & there's a bus from Lugo to Leon at 18h15
It would be ideal if I could catch that! Save a whole day & allow a little extra breathing space in my walk back to Santiago! Does anyone think it's feasible to catch the ALSA bus with only 10 mins to spare? Might they use the same station for arrival / departure, making it a little easier?
Thanks for any assistance, regards George

Very helpful discussion, thank you all! from what was posted I've been able to relook at my original plans to possibly save some time. I'm planning to start walking from Leon. Would appreciate any views on the following:
I'm landing at Santiago airport on May 31st at 15h40
Seems there is a local bus from the airport at 16h10, arriving in Lugo at 18h05?
I've checked the ALSA website & there's a bus from Lugo to Leon at 18h15
It would be ideal if I could catch that! Save a whole day & allow a little extra breathing space in my walk back to Santiago! Does anyone think it's feasible to catch the ALSA bus with only 10 mins to spare? Might they use the same station for arrival / departure, making it a little easier?
Thanks for any assistance, regards George

George:
Last year I took the 16:10 bus. It was a Friday (you will be there a Thursday) the 16:10 bus arrived to the airport at 16:15 left at 16:25.
Two buses showed up, I asked the first driver if that bus goes to Lugo. The driver directed me to the back bus (the first one was a local one, the second one was a direct bus). I am telling this because the direct bus arrived at 17:55 to Lugo and the second one arrived at 18:35, exactly when I was living to Sarria.
The bus stop is outside to your right from the airport main exit.
Buen camino
Jorge

Thanks Jorge, that's very helpful. I think it will be heading for Lugo / Leon straight from the airport. Appreciate the input, best regards

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a bus that goes to the bus station and then onto the train station - the train is interesting but you get into Sarria quite late at night.

But the bus station stop should be a good one if you're looking for a bus.

This is an old thread ... it does get a lot of views.

a. Take Empresa Freire bus from Santiago Labacolla airport to Lugo. Take Empresa Monforte (Monbus) bus from Lugo to Sarria.

b. Renfe train from Santiago Renfe Station to Sarria.

Aena Santiago Labacolla
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/

Empresa Freire
http://www.empresafreire.com/

Concello de Sarria Transport page
http://www.sarria.es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109:transportes-y-horarios&catid=60:localizacion&Itemid=132&lang=gl

Hello everyone,

Lots of great information on this thread! Thanks to all who posted.

I will be landing in Santiago Airport at 1pm (13:00) on Oct 7, 2017. What would be the best way to get to Sarria?

I see that there is:

1) a Renfe train from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria at 5pm (17:00)

or

2) Empresa Freire bus at 4:10pm (16:10) to Lugo where I am stuck until the last bus at 8:45pm (20:45) to Sarria because it is on a Saturday. I wasn't able to confirm this on the Monbus website because i couldn't search up Sarria on it....

or

3) direct bus from Santiago to Sarria via Monbus? I can't find any information on this. Is this still running...and does it run on a Saturday?

It sounds like the train is the best option but I wanted to put it out there to ask what you all think?

Also, is it possible to get the tickets (train or bus) when I arrive or should I reserve in advance?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Cheers,

Maggie

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone,

Lots of great information on this thread! Thanks to all who posted.

I will be landing in Santiago Airport at 1pm (13:00) on Oct 7, 2017. What would be the best way to get to Sarria?

I see that there is:

1) a Renfe train from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria at 5pm (17:00)

or

2) Empresa Freire bus at 4:10pm (16:10) to Lugo where I am stuck until the last bus at 8:45pm (20:45) to Sarria because it is on a Saturday. I wasn't able to confirm this on the Monbus website because i couldn't search up Sarria on it....

or

3) direct bus from Santiago to Sarria via Monbus? I can't find any information on this. Is this still running...and does it run on a Saturday?

It sounds like the train is the best option but I wanted to put it out there to ask what you all think?

Also, is it possible to get the tickets (train or bus) when I arrive or should I reserve in advance?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Cheers,

Maggie
Hi, Maggie,

You have Empressa Freire bus from Airport to Lugo at 16:10 (arrival 18:05, http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion3a.php) and then Empresa Portomarin via Portomarin at 18:15 (arrival ???, http://www.empresaportomarin.com/servicio-regular-1.html)

On Oct 7th 2017 Monbus page doesn't show me any transports at all!!! Maybe there's some kind of hack but it's the same for all the weekends!? Don't worry because it might be just too early for them.

Just wing it or take the bus to train station and take the train. You have plenty of time to catch the 17:00 train (https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_H7ZN) and you'll be in Sarria two hours later.

Buen Camino!

Thanks! Yes, I looked it up on Monbus again and the bus doesn't seem to run weekends (Saturday or Sunday).

The train seems to be the best option. It looks like I would have to make one change in Ourense...would that be difficult for a tourist who has a marginal grasp of Spanish? Haha.

Thanks for outlining the bus transport as well.

Last edited:
@Maggie.Blueberry yes, Monbus does run on Saturdays, including at 15:50, 18:35 and 20:45. Here's the screenshot I get when I search for tickets from Lugo to Sarria on 7th October:

Lugo to Sarria.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello everyone,

Just as an update, it looks that Empresa Portomarin is no longer running a bus on the weekends between Lugo and Sarria

http://www.empresaportomarin.com/servicio-regular.html

Also, I wasn't able to find a direct Monbus from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria on Saturday, though there is bus at 20:45 from Lugo to Sarria.

As far as I can tell, for someone arriving at 1pm on Saturday Oct 7, I would have to take an Empresa Freire bus from Santiago airport to Lugo Bus station at 16:10 (arriving at 18:05), then a Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria at 20:45 (arriving at 21:15).

Has anyone else taken the train from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria via Ourense? There appears to be a train that leaves Santiago de Compostela at 17:00, changes at Ourense 17:52 and arrives in Sarria at 18:59.

Thanks!

Maggie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back