• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Locations for new albergue? (central route from Lisbon)

phagocyte

Time of past OR future Camino
camino portuguese central
I thought that Vila Franca would be the best option, since there’s nothing between there and Azambuja. I remember the lovely feeling of crossing the RR tracks in Azambuja and being off asphalt. If memory serves, there is some Roman road right there, but I might be wrong about that.

Alverca, Alhandra, Alpriate, Azambuja, what’s with all the A towns?

So glad to hear all is well.
Dear Peregrina2000,
my name is äly and I am planning to open an albergue on the Portuguese Central. You exactly picked up my thought: my idea was to buy a property in Vila Nova Da Rainha in order to create a stop between Vila Nova Franca da Xira and Azambuja. Do you think pilgrims would appreciate this location for an albergue? Or do you have other places in mind where you consider an albergue would be welcoming for pilgrims?
Looking forward to your reply.
äly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Peregrina2000,
my name is äly and I am planning to open an albergue on the Portuguese Central. You exactly picked up my thought: my idea was to buy a property in Vila Nova Da Rainha in order to create a stop between Vila Nova Franca da Xira and Azambuja. Do you think pilgrims would appreciate this location for an albergue? Or do you have other places in mind where you consider an albergue would be welcoming for pilgrims?
Looking forward to your reply.
äly
That is a good idea. Nevertheless lots of pilgrims will take the train from Alverca to Azambuja to avoid walking on the hardshoulder the N10 for some time. Maybe the caminho path has changed away from the busy road .

my name is äly and I am planning to open an albergue on the Portuguese Central. You exactly picked up my thought: my idea was to buy a property in Vila Nova Da Rainha in order to create a stop between Vila Nova Franca da Xira and Azambuja. Do you think pilgrims would appreciate this location for an albergue?
Hi, @phagocyte,

I think you should contact @Friend from Barquinha directly. I see that you have had some public exchanges on another thread. She is probably the best contact about albergue supply and demand in the area between Lisbon and Coimbra.

I would also contact Mario (forum name is @santaremhostel ) or via his website. He has an albergue in Santarem and has been very acting in forming a group of owners along the way to promote the Caminho.

The owner of a favorite pilgrim spot, the Quinta da Burra, recently died. I do not know if her heirs plan to continue operating the quinta or whether it will be for sale. More info on this thread. It is located north of Azambuja, so slightly out of your range of interest, but it may be worth checking into.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And a p.s.
I don’t know what the plans are currently, but there is talk about more river walking being provided on the early stages out of Lisbon. This was one of the plans, and it would mean that the current albergue in Alpriate would no longer be on the route. So you would want to check.

I don’t know if there are more of these plans or whether they have been put on hold because of covid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, ams. Do you know whether the Caminho will be re-routed to follow that path? And do you know if other extensions are planned?
I don't know if the path will be redirected. What the Associação dos Amigos do Caminho de Fátima wanted (before ending its activity) was to direct pilgrims here, preventing pilgrims to Fátima from walking on the EN10. For the Caminho de Santiago, I don't know.

Hi, @phagocyte,

I think you should contact @Friend from Barquinha directly. I see that you have had some public exchanges on another thread. She is probably the best contact about albergue supply and demand in the area between Lisbon and Coimbra.

I would also contact Mario (forum name is @santaremhostel ) or via his website. He has an albergue in Santarem and has been very acting in forming a group of owners along the way to promote the Caminho.

The owner of a favorite pilgrim spot, the Quinta da Burra, recently died. I do not know if her heirs plan to continue operating the quinta or whether it will be for sale. More info on this thread. It is located north of Azambuja, so slightly out of your range of interest, but it may be worth checking into.
Dear peregina2000,

thanks a lot again for the names and infos!
I am aware of Paula passed away, waiting for a reply...

Best,
äly

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back