• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Lockdowns and Reopenings.

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read narratives of pandemics, some fiction, some historical. It just struck me how people in a location which they understand is high risk have generally chosen to leave, often becoming a moving vector of infection, as they travel to areas thought to be safer. I am moving, mentally, into a nightmare world where I am unsure how someone can be safer in a pandemic without risking anyone else's precarious safety.
I am zero at handling probabilities and I don't know any answers. I know, however, that the general advice is: Don't move, stay in place, reduce contacts to a minimum. And since not enough people did this voluntarily, there had to be perimeter lockdowns for towns, regions, and even whole countries to force everybody to stay inside and prevent anyone from entering.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The realities in each individual Albergue over here really are not that black & white, as each region and each separate municipality has its own rules.

And this is even more the case in this 2021, when the number of pilgrims per dormitory or even per Albergue can be as low as 0 or 1.

Windows open is a helpful tactic, but so is common sense ; and such absolute hard rules as you propose would put some already suffering Albergues straight out of business, and would make an already difficult situation on the ground even worse for the more casual pilgrims less able to make use of the great outdoors refugio under the stars (or perhaps the rain).

The most important thing to avoid is indoors close promiscuity as that is how most infections have occurred, well that and artificially recycled air indoors. Not air conditioning itself, but mechanical ventilation systems. Including just an ordinary electric fan.

In most Albergues the distancing and other rules are completely inapplicable, but then OTOH, there are those like the Municipal in Azofra where they are basically hardwired into its existing architecture.

Besides -- the early 1990s numbers of pilgrims this year are hardly stuffed together like sardines in their tin !!
close promiscuity!!!!!

Well, yes. But there are fewer opportunities for close contact with others in the countryside as opposed to a biggish city like Leon, and a lower general infection rate as well. Fewer contacts and lower positivity rate equals less likelihood of getting and spreading the virus. So I'd choose to bypass Leon right now too.

I'm just talking, though, without the data to prove it. So please take that as an opinion, @Albertagirl, rather than established fact.
Each of us has to come up with their own-camino plan. However, (not necessarily on this website) pilgrims may avoid certain cities, but then stay in common room albergues , where people they will share a room with not the greatest of ventilation, are likely coming from the very cities these other pilgrims are trying to avoid…for whatever reason.

Honestly, if I could not afford a private room, I too, even with weary bones, would also sleep under the stars or on a open air porch, or camp… before sleeping in an common room albergue….vaccinated or not. As September approaches, if we can still get in (?) trying to stay in a cheap albergue may be a very costly decision with this Delta variant.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Each of us has to come up with their own-camino plan. However, (not necessarily on this website) pilgrims may avoid certain cities, but then stay in common room albergues , where people they will share a room with not the greatest of ventilation, are likely coming from the very cities these other pilgrims are trying to avoid…for whatever reason.

Honestly, if I could not afford a private room, I too, even with weary bones, would also sleep under the stars or on a open air porch, or camp… before sleeping in an common room albergue….vaccinated or not. As September approaches, if we can still get in (?) trying to stay in a cheap albergue may be a very costly decision with this Delta variant.
I agree with you. I have looked through most of the possible accommodation on the Levante and the VdlP/Sanabres from Zamora to Santiago. There are a few locations on the Sanabres where the only accommodation available is in albergue dormitories. However, by the time that I am there, in late October and November, I am hoping that the albergues will still be open, but with only me in them. This has happened in the past, as some albergues have not yet closed at the end of season. Most of the time, I am planning on staying in private accommodation, and there are a few albergues with an option for booking a single room. I am hoping not to have to sleep out, as I have decided not to carry camping gear beyond the sleeping bag needed in an albergue.

From Monday, fully vaccinated travellers will be able to enter England from the US and EU with no quarantine requirement, with the exception of France. A negative test prior to departure plus a second negative PCR two days after arrival will still be required.

Last edited:
From the start of August, a covid Green Pass will be needed to enter bars and restaurants etc in Italy, similar to the French scheme -- with the difference that it will not be required on long-distance trains and buses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whilst the extent to which the French vaxx passport will be applied remains an unknown, given the degree of resistance to it, Italy has just extended its own scheme to indoor dining and long-distance travel.

The French one seeks to impose the requirements on outdoor terraces of bars and restaurants too.

I don't know where to put this and how important it actually is in the end but here is the latest concerning the French pass sanitaire if you are vaccinated and: you don't have French nationality; you don't live in France; you don't have an EU Digital Covid certificate.

There are two apps:
  • TousAntiCovid app which you have on your mobile phone and were you store your vaccination certificate if issued by France or issued by an EU+ country. Their certificates comply with the required digital norms.
  • TousAntiCovid Verif app that anyone can have on their mobile phone and that is used to check whether a digital certificate that conforms to the norm is authentic and not a fake.
    The idea of the whole system is that you do not only show your vaccination certificate to someone but that the person can verify that your certificate is authentic and not a fake.
With this introduction, here's the current situation (8 August) for foreign visitors in France:
  • EU DCC: No problems. TousAntiCovid and TousAntiCovid Verif work fine.

• NHS England and Wales: TousAntiCovid works for certificates issued by the NHS. TousAntiCovid Verif - they are still working on interoperability.

• Scotland, Northern Ireland, and similar: Contact la cellule dédiée Passe sanitaire du ministère pour obtenir un document. Not sure what it means. Probably contact the Health Service where you live.

• USA, Canada, all other non-EU+ countries
    • You have a French passport: You can write to a dedicated email address of the French government; there are different email addresses depending on your country of residence. You provide a copy of your passport, proof of residence and proof of vaccination and ask them to convert your vaccination information into something compatible with the French health pass system. Start the process as early as you can, it may take time.
    • You do not have a French passport: You will have to wait and see until a system for interoperability and verification is put in place by the French administration. They are working on it.
Sources: French government websites, French government Twitter feeds.

My gut feeling: Having a proper pass sanitaire as proof of your vaccination will save you hassle. NHS proof, CDC proof etc. are accepted for the time being. It remains to be seen how important it will be in the end for foreign visitors in France to have a genuine pass sanitaire. By September, but that is really just a gut feeling, the EU Commission may have set up a system of recognition of vaccination proofs issued by the UK, the USA and other non-EU countries that is valid for the whole EU+.

Last edited:

€60,-
I don't know where to put this and how important it actually is in the end but here is the latest concerning the French pass sanitaire if you are vaccinated and: you don't have French nationality; you don't live in France; you don't have an EU Digital Covid certificate.

There are two apps:
  • TousAntiCovid app which you have on your mobile phone and were you store your vaccination certificate if issued by France or issued by an EU+ country. Their certificates comply with the required digital norms.
  • TousAntiCovid Verif app that anyone can have on their mobile phone and that is used to check whether a digital certificate that conforms to the norm is authentic and not a fake.
    The idea of the whole system is that you do not only show your vaccination certificate to someone but that the person can verify that your certificate is authentic and not a fake.
With this introduction, here's the current situation (8 August) for foreign visitors in France:
  • EU DCC: No problems. TousAntiCovid and TousAntiCovid Verif work fine.

• NHS England and Wales: TousAntiCovid works for certificates issued by the NHS. TousAntiCovid Verif - they are still working on interoperability.

• Scotland, Northern Ireland, and similar: Contact la cellule dédiée Passe sanitaire du ministère pour obtenir un document. Not sure what it means. Probably contact the Health Service where you live.

• USA, Canada, all other non-EU+ countries
    • You have a French passport: You can write to a dedicated email address of the French government; there are different email addresses depending on your country of residence. You provide a copy of your passport, proof of residence and proof of vaccination and ask them to convert your vaccination information into something compatible with the French health pass system. Start the process as early as you can, it may take time.
    • You do not have a French passport: You will have to wait and see until a system for interoperability and verification is put in place by the French administration. They are working on it.
Sources: French government websites, French government Twitter feeds.

My gut feeling: Having a proper pass sanitaire as proof of your vaccination will save you hassle. NHS proof, CDC proof etc. are accepted for the time being. It remains to be seen how important it will be in the end for foreign visitors in France to have a genuine pass sanitaire. By September, but that is really just a gut feeling, the EU Commission may have set up a system of recognition of vaccination proofs issued by the UK, the USA and other non-EU countries that is valid for the whole EU+.
Thank you! Your updates are invaluable!

There is a thread on Reddit about the conversation of American CDC cards to a French health pass in Paris where people from Paris post. There've been reports that people managed to have this conversion done at certain pharmacies in Paris, then later at the Hotel de Ville (city hall), then later at the hospital Hotel Dieu near Notre Dame. This morning (9 August) the reports form Paris in the Reddit thread are unison: none of these places do a conversion.

A forum member who is currently in Le Puy also posted that there is currently no way to integrate the data from CDC cards into the French system when the holder of the card is not a French national or does not live in France, see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-code-update-for-americans-from-le-puy.71051/

There is no reason to panic. CDC cards are widely accepted as proof for access, although there have been occasional rejections by a museum here and there in France. It seems that there will be a transition period of two weeks or so which will bring us to the last week of August. And it remains to be seen to which extent restaurants in particular will fully comply with the new rules in France.

As the situation is so confusing and nothing of practical use can be found on gouv.fr websites, here's another link that I think describes the current situation fairly accurately: https://www.euronews.com/2021/08/05...inated-outside-the-eu-get-a-covid-health-pass

Last edited:
As an aside, what is odd about the French system is the fact that their health pass app has been designed to show two different displays, one for "Activity" such as visiting a restaurant, going to a museum or taking a long-distance train, and another one for "Border" that you switch to when you cross the national borders of France. You need to switch between the two displays. The long thin line in the "border" display hides the unique EU DCC identifier code which is missing in their Activity display.

Pass sanitaire.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is now a procedure to apply for a French health pass / pass sanitaire when you have been vaccinated in the USA, in Canada or in other countries outside of the EU. You will find all the necessary information here:
Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists)

There is an application form to Convert a Foreign Vaccination Certificate into a French Covid Certificate that you need to fill in, a number of electronic copies of documents that you need to provide and you need to send it all to one of the following email addresses, depending on where you live:
e-mail subject lines must be set out as follows:​
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE / SURNAME First name / Date of arrival in France in the format DD-MM-YY​
The website says that applications received through other means will not be processed.

The website says that you should send your application as soon as you know your travel dates if you are arriving in France in summer 2021. They say that they will be doing their utmost to process applications as quickly as possible.
Good luck!

Here is a route if you have a UK (NHS) certificate to convert into a EU Digital Covid Certificate (HT Twitter)

Want to upload your UK NHS Covid pass to an EU-accepted app?

1. Download "Covid Tracker Ireland"

2. Open the PDF of your UK certificate

3. Scan the QR code from your *second* vaccination into the app

4. It'll instantly provide you with an EU certificate.

Works.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Download "Covid Tracker Ireland"
It apparently also works with the official French "TousAntiCovid" app. This app works in French and in English.

From https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus

Those vaccinated in England are able to demonstrate their vaccination status by downloading the French government’s “TousAntiCovid” app and clicking on the option “Scan a QR code” to scan the QR code from the digital NHS England vaccination certification or by using the downloadable PDF certificate. This will generate a QR code that will save in the “wallets” section of the “TousAntiCovid” app, which can then be used for entry into services and venues that require COVID status certification.
Gov.uk also has instructions for those vaccinated in Wales and in Scotland.

A month on, is that still the case?
Not so much anymore, Reverend. The infection curve in Castilia y Leon is nicely flattening. Actually at this moment there are more people sick in Galicia (1 in every 150 inhabitants) than in Castilia y Leon (1 in 170 is sick with covid). The data taken from coronalevel.com

The covid situation in Spain is improving which unfortunately is not the case in the USA...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is now a procedure to apply for a French health pass / pass sanitaire when you have been vaccinated in the USA, in Canada or in other countries outside of the EU. You will find all the necessary information here:
Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists)

There is an application form to Convert a Foreign Vaccination Certificate into a French Covid Certificate that you need to fill in, a number of electronic copies of documents that you need to provide and you need to send it all to one of the following email addresses, depending on where you live:
e-mail subject lines must be set out as follows:​
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE / SURNAME First name / Date of arrival in France in the format DD-MM-YY​
The website says that applications received through other means will not be processed.

The website says that you should send your application as soon as you know your travel dates if you are arriving in France in summer 2021. They say that they will be doing their utmost to process applications as quickly as possible.
Good luck!
Thank you for all you digging on this issue. I sent mine by email this morning. I am hoping that having a one way travel ticket will not be a problem. I added a note that i was walking the Camino and the date i would walk out of France. We shall see. Cheers

Got my pass this morning....
Bonjour,
A la suite de votre demande, nous vous prions de trouver ci-joint votre passe sanitaire.
Cordialement.
Hello, Please find attached your covid pass.
Best regards,

Got my pass this morning....
Bonjour,
A la suite de votre demande, nous vous prions de trouver ci-joint votre passe sanitaire.
Cordialement.
Hello, Please find attached your covid pass.
Best regards,
Great to hear that you received your French health pass code and that the approval of your application for conversion of your foreign non-EU vaccination pass to the French pass sanitaire did not take long.

Your feedback about your first hand experience is much appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Catalonia wished to extend its 1AM to 6AM curfew to many more municipalities, but the regional Court has blocked this move, so that it remains only in 19 of them.

A ban on private indoor gatherings of more than 10 persons persists however throughout the region, which could affect some pilgrims in some albergues, even if there was only one occasion on my own Catalan Way in 2019 when even half a dozen pilgrims slept overnight in the same place.

The Spanish Supreme Court has struck down an attempt by Andalusia to implement a vaccination passport scheme in the region, decreasing the likelihood that such a measure might be implemented elsewhere in Spain.

Galicia has increased Pilgrim Albergue capacity from 30% to 50%, in both the Xunta and the private ones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The EU has removed the US from its "safe list" from where people can travel without restrictions, and is recommending that non-vaccinated travel be disallowed. This is only a recommendation however, and it will be up to each country to decide its own measures, which could be either more lenient or more strict as the case may be. There may be testing or even quarantine requirements.

The US CDC is currently recommending that US citizens travel neither to France nor Spain.

Last edited:
Canada has just been put on the UK's green list. This does not permit any change in testing requirements. I have just booked an antigen test for before my departure next week. I shall be very glad to get out of Alberta, where new cases have swelled to over 1,100 daily. The premier, health minister, and medical officer of health quit doing reports on the sitation weeks ago and have all disappeared. Spain is looking a lot safer.

Most restrictions in France on entering large shopping centres will end on Wednesday. The deeply unpopular measure was struck down by the Courts in most places, and will according to the Government remain in place only in the Var, Vaucluse, Alpes-Maritimes, Bouches-du-Rhône, Gard, l’Hérault, Corse-du-Sud, Rhône, Seine-Saint-Denis.

i.e. mainly in the Arles Way and the Provençal/coastal Francigena pilgrim routes.

These are not food shops or other ordinary shops, but large shopping centres -- though there are situations in the country where they are the only places available for food purchases by pilgrims.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Switzerland has instituted vaxx passport requirements upon those wishing to enter bars and restaurants. + museums and etc. as usual.

Spain is now requiring travellers from France and Italy to demonstrate proof of double vaccination.

Proofs of recent recovery from the disease, or a negative test within 72 hours are still accepted however, from the EU norms ; but the expected provision is the above.

Crossing the land border on foot, bike, horse or local transport may still be an exception as it has been for many months, but that's just guesswork.

These measures will anyway affect those traveling to Spain from these countries by air or by other long-distance travel means.

France is requiring that travellers from the US be fully vaccinated (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, or Johnson & Johnson) ; or to be travelling for "essential" reasons, in which case a negative test will suffice (72 hours PCR, 48 hours antigen) -- although a 7-day quarantine is mandated for the unvaccinated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It seems very likely that nearly all remaining Covid restrictions in England are to be scrapped, with the exception of the self-isolation one, and that the Government's proposed vaccination passport scheme has been done away with.

The Prime Minister is set to repeal powers from the Coronavirus Act which are no longer deemed necessary in England as part of the Government's plan for managing the virus during the autumn and winter.

These include the ability to close down sectors of the economy, such as pubs and restaurants, and to restrict access to education by closing down schools, colleges and childcare.

Infectious people can also no longer be legally detained, and restrictions on events and gatherings cannot be imposed.

And from The Sunday Times, it appears that the system of incoming travel restrictions will now only apply to countries on the "red" list.

Double-jabbed travellers need no longer take expensive PCR tests when returning to Britain under plans expected to be announced, the Mail on Sunday reported. They will be replaced by lateral flow tests instead

Ministers are also preparing to scrap the travel traffic light system and will treat green and amber list countries the same. The red list will remain.

It is understood that people who have been doubled-jabbed will be allowed to visit any country with similar Covid rates to the UK without the need to self-isolate. Ministers are also considering travel industry demands to remove the necessity of Covid testing.

For those starting in SJPP or passing through there -- the mask mandate for outdoor tourist locations in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques has been ended.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
England's system of classifying countries for Covid purposes has been simplified, starting from October 4th ; there are now "red list" countries, from where greater restrictions on travel remain, and the rest of the world.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/red-list-update-what-are-the-new-travel-rules-v3k0d6jbt (paywall)

From October 4 fully vaccinated arrivals into the UK will not need to present a negative test certificate at the border. All under-11s are already exempt from pre-departure testing for arrival in the UK. All arrivals will still be required to complete a passenger locator form before returning.

Unvaccinated arrivals over the age of 11 will still be required to produce a negative test result ahead of travel to the UK, unless they are under 18 and travelling from one of the 50 plus countries where vaccines are recognised, including the whole of Europe and the United States. In such circumstances under-18s are treated the same as vaccinated passengers and are not required to take a pre-departure test to come to the UK.

From the end of October, fully vaccinated travellers will no longer be required to take a day two PCR test. The PCR test will be replaced by a cheaper lateral flow test, which must be purchased ahead of travel. Children under the age of five are exempt. Passengers are not entitled to use the free at-home NHS lateral flow tests on return from foreign trips. While no date has been set, it is understood that the government plans to implement the policy in time for people returning home from October half-term breaks.

Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated adults must present a negative test ahead of travel to the UK and then quarantine at home for ten days on arrival. They must take PCR tests on days two and eight. They can end self-isolation early under the Test to Release scheme, which requires an additional PCR test on day five.

Anyone returning to the UK from a red-list country must still submit to hotel quarantine for ten days irrespective of vaccination status. The cost for solo travellers is £2,285. The charge for an additional adult sharing a room is £1,430.

From the end of next month, the government says it intends to make changes to allow passengers who switch planes or trains in a red-list country to follow the rules that apply to their country of departure, rather than those of the transit nation.

In addition to Europe and the US, from October 4, the inbound vaccination policy will be extended to full-jabbed arrivals from 17 more countries. These are: Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan.

The full list of countries with fewer covid restrictions for travel to England, especially for the fully vaccinated, from October 4th :

Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba, Bosnia and Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo, Cook Islands, Tokelau and Niue, Côte d’Ivoire, Curaçao, Cyprus, Czech Republic (Czechia), Djibouti, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Fiji, France, French Polynesia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Greece (including islands), Greenland, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Honduras, Hungary, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Luxembourg, Macao, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, North Macedonia, The Occupied Palestinian Territories, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, South Sudan, Spain, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Maarten, St Martin and St Barthélemy, St Pierre and Miquelon, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States (USA), Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna, Western Sahara, Yemen.

These join the current green list countries :

Anguilla, Antarctica/British Antarctic Territory, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Croatia, Denmark, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Finland, Germany, Gibraltar, Grenada, Hong Kong, Iceland, Israel and Jerusalem, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Montserrat, New Zealand, Norway, Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turks and Caicos Islands.

Last edited:
A report from elsewhere, and from Switzerland :

I'm from Switzerland. From Monday 20.9 additionally to all the other new measures, we will have to present a Covid certificate when entering Switzerland (citizens or tourists) by any means of transport (car, bicycle etc), till now it was flying only, not even sure if from all countries. That's not too bad what is really bad, those, unvaccinated, must present another test 4-5 days following entry, this test result will have to be uploaded. Additionally we must fill in a form online before re-entering the country stating departure city, destination and address , main residential address (if non citizen), phone number etc... There will be random checks at the borders else it would be chaos at the borders stopping each car. For the unlucky ones getting caught without having filled in the online form there will be a fine of 100euros and probably another fine if no certificate is showed. What is not understandable, vaccinated must also fill in this form but must not present a second test as they will have presented proof of vaccination.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From November, fully vaccinated travellers will be able to enter the USA from the UK, EU, and Schengen countries.

(edited, thanks for spotting the typo trecile)

Last edited:
From November, travellers will be able to enter the USA from the UK, EU, and Schengen countries.
Fully vaccinated travelers

With an exception for attending Holy Mass, visitors to the Vatican will from 1st October be required to have the "green pass" demonstrating either vaccination, a recent negative test, or proof of recovery from Covid19.

Last edited:
Portugal has announced that the pass will no longer be required to enter hotels (which includes pilgrim albergues) or restaurants or bars, and from October 1st face masks will only be mandatory in public transport, supermarkets, nursing homes and hospitals, large events and concert halls.

Last edited:
In the Netherlands we start tomorrow with the use off the Corona check app in more places , in cafés , restaurants, cultural events to mention a few .
And you will need the app in cafés and restaurants that are located in stores .
People don't need the app outside but when you need to go to the toilet inside you will have to show the app.

Masks will only be mandatory in public transport.

In the Netherlands we start tomorrow with the use off the Corona check app in more places , in cafés , restaurants, cultural events to mention a few .
And you will need the app in cafés and restaurants that are located in stores .
People don't need the app outside but when you need to go to the toilet inside you will have to show the app.

Masks will only be mandatory in public transport.

No masks anymore when visiting hospitals, residential care homes , doctorspractices or physio?
In Belgium this will still be the case per the 1st of October. Also public transport but not in bars or restaurants. For Flanders that is.
Plus extra rules for Brussels and parts of Wallonia seeing the vaccination rate is unfortunately lower still.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No masks anymore when visiting hospitals, residential care homes , doctorspractices or physio?
In Belgium this will still be the case per the 1st of October. Also public transport but not in bars or restaurants. For Flanders that is.
Plus extra rules for Brussels and parts of Wallonia seeing the vaccination rate is unfortunately lower still.
In principle, hospitals and the like no longer have a mask obligation, but you see in the hospital that some departments still ask to wear a mask. Marianne has several hospital appointments for various examinations, so we still regularly wear our masks, especially in elevators. Besides the protests, the use of the app has an additional advantage, namely that the vaccinations have risen sharply in the last two weeks. According to the ministry, we are now at almost 84% fully vaccinated. We'll see where it all goes, we just stay careful.
You to take good care off yourself Sabine.

€46,-
The UK is likely to join the EU pass scheme.

The UK is likely to join the EU pass scheme.
Did you read it in today's Telegraph?

It had been reported for weeks if not months that the UK wants to join the EU DCC gateway eventually but it will be only official once the European Commission has adopted an Equivalence Decision. This means that not only does the foreign certificate comply with the technical standards set by the EU but also that the foreign country recognises EU Digital Covid certificates.

So far, 16 non-EU countries/states have achieved this, including Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Israel, but the UK is not among them:

• Albania
• Andorra
• Switzerland
• Faroe Islands
• Israel
• Iceland
• Liechtenstein
• Morocco
• Monaco
• North Macedonia
• Norway
• Panama
• San Marino
• Turkey
• Ukraine
• The Vatican

Express, not Telegraph.

And I said "likely", not "it's happening".

Not sure what you suppose needs "correcting".

Express, not Telegraph.
Ohh ... the Express just picked up what the Telegraph had written first. If you didn't read the original article then you probably don't know that the Telegraph wrote that the UK formally applied to join the EU scheme on July 28, and technical work has been carrying on ever since. Not exactly breaking news ...

Ohh ... the Express just picked up what the Telegraph had written first. If you didn't read the original article then you probably don't know that the Telegraph wrote that the UK formally applied to join the EU scheme on July 28, and technical work has been carrying on ever since. Not exactly breaking news ...
No, today's news is that the EU and the UK seem to have reached an agreement to move ahead with the project.

That is why I wrote "likely".

And I have no idea why you suppose that I "probably don't know" about the continuing attempts in past months by the UK to join the scheme despite Brexit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
More Portugal changes :

The Portuguese authorities have announced that vaccination and recovery certificates issued by third countries will now be recognised under reciprocal conditions, provided that certain requirements are met.

According to a press release issued by the Portuguese Government, vaccination certificates of those who are permanent residents of a third country will be recognised as long as the document indicates that the holder has been immunised against the disease with one of the vaccines approved for use by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

Accordingly, this means that only third-country nationals who have been fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Moderna (Spikevax), Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty), and Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) will be allowed entry, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

As such, in line with the new rules, those holding a valid vaccination or recovery certificate arriving in Portugal from a third country will no longer be required to undergo pre-departure testing. In addition, they will also be exempt from the testing requirement upon their arrival as well as from self-isolation measures.

Nonetheless, everyone is still advised to check if the quarantine-free entry applies to the country they are travelling from.

Additionally, the Portuguese authorities have also emphasised that in order for a vaccination and recovery certificate to be recognised upon entry, they both should include specific information on the holder.

The vaccination certificate should include the following information on the holder:

• Name and surname
  • Date of birth
  • Issuing body
  • Target disease: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants)
  • Name of the COVID-19 vaccine
  • Manufacturer of the vaccine
  • Number of vaccine doses
  • Date(s) of vaccination
  • Country where the vaccine has been administered
Moreover, the recovery certificate must include the information in the first four points, as well as:

• Date of the first positive test result
  • Country in which the diagnostic test was carried out
  • Validity time of the certificate
In contrast, those unable to provide one of the above-mentioned certificates must present a negative test result carried out within 72 or 48 hours before their arrival in Portugal.

The authorities emphasised that the airlines will only allow boarding to those whose destination or stopover is in mainland Portugal provided that they hold the EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate or a certificate issued by a duly recognised third country.

I've just replied to a question in another thread posted by a traveller who has a US CDC vaccination card, stays for 21 days in the EU and then travels from Frankfurt in Germany to Porto in Portugal.

As so often, you can read all the official government websites you want and you are none the wiser if you lack a bit of essential background knowledge about the terminology used. It caused me to wonder what a certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions, as stipulated by the Portuguese government, actually means in practical terms in general and for forum members in particular. I copy-paste my comment from the other thread:

What does "under reciprocal conditions" even mean in practical terms??? Do the UK's NHS certificates qualify (perhaps)? The US CDC cards (unlikely)? Or does it refer to the 16 or so non-EU countries whose certificates are officially recognised by the European Commission and hence by Portugal, with reciprocity, and with neither the UK nor the USA among these countries (most likely meaning of this line)?​
My active knowledge of Portuguese is largely non-existent and I find it quite difficult to plough through the relevant Portuguese laws. But the more I think about it, the more I feel that I've nailed it: this refers to vaccination certificates issued by these 16 non-EU countries that I listed a few posts earlier in this thread. When you belong to the category of travellers who are allowed to enter mainland Portugal for non-essential travel, you either have to have an EU DCC or a certificate from one of these 16 other countries (neither Brazil, USA nor UK among them) or else you have to take a pre-flight test with a negative result.

Or does anyone know of other specific reciprocal arrangements for vaccination cards that Portugal entertains on their own with other non-EU countries?

Last edited:
What does "under reciprocal conditions" even mean in practical terms???​
In Southern European legal systems, it usually means "if they recognise ours (Portugal or EU), we'll recognise theirs". So it may be more than those 16 non-EU countries, it may be those countries allowing travel (with covid pass or without) from Portugal, including those 16.

FWIW I too find Portuguese sources frustrating, as online news and other resources often lack essential information, that may have been disseminated via TV.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Somewhat surprised at how things are currently unfolding, but this looks pretty good :

w37-38-COVID_subnational_Last_2week.png

Somewhat surprised at how things are currently unfolding, but this looks pretty good :

w37-38-COVID_subnational_Last_2week.png

I agree! I'm really encouraged by the high vaccination rates in Spain and Portugal. The map of my country looks very dark right now.

I agree! I'm really encouraged by the high vaccination rates in Spain and Portugal. The map of my country looks very dark right now.
What's surprising is that the 2021-2022 respiratory disease season should be starting now in Northern Europe (starts later in Mediterranean Europe), but numbers are low there now (Ireland and some Baltic States excepted).

Which may mean the pandemic is actually starting to run out of steam.

Fully vaccinated Australians are to be permitted to travel in and out of the country for non-essential reasons. The mandatory 14-day hotel stay is to be phased out, and replaced with a 7-day home quarantine for the fully vaccinated, 14 days for others -- currently the unvaccinated and non-Australians may travel only for essential reasons, but it seems the country is set to reopen for the unvaccinated as well as to foreigners at some later date.

Likely, the testing requirements will persist.

This new policy looks likely to be instated from November onwards. The current lockdown is set to expire on October 5th, and how long it is renewed for will provide the likely end date for it.

However, this is a national policy, and each different regional State or Territory may still disallow travel to or from its lands for non-essential reasons.

EU Nationals may no longer travel to the UK using an ID card, but are required to use a Passport.

EU Nationals may no longer travel to the UK using an ID card, but are required to use a Passport.
The following belongs to it aswel,

If you are a UK resident on or before 31 December 2020, you are covered by the withdrawal agreement. This means you can continue to use your ID card to travel between ..........and the UK until at least the end of 2025. You may need to show proof that you fall under the withdrawal agreement.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The new travel rules for England have come into force.

If you have been fully vaccinated in the UK, EU, US, or 18 other countries whose certificates are recognised by the UK, and if you are resident in any of these countries, there is no need for pre-departure testing nor self-isolation, though you must get a PCR test in England 2 days after your arrival.

People who are not fully vaccinated will need a pre-departure test and a PCR test on days two and eight after they return, and must self-isolate for 10 days at home.

And those arriving from red-list countries, including Brazil, Mexico, the Philippines and South Africa, must quarantine for 10 days in a government-approved hotel, at a cost of £2,285 for one adult.
(BBC)

Travellers from France are now no longer universally required to carry proof of vaccination, recovery, or a negative test, which remain a requirement for the following regions of mainland France only :
  • Auvergne-RhôneAlpes
  • Bourgogne-Franche-Comté
  • Bretagne
  • Center – Val de Loir
  • Corse
  • Grand Est
  • Hauts-de-France
  • Ile-de-France
  • Nouvelle-Aquitaine
  • Occitanie
  • Pays de la Loire
  • Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur
SJPP is in Nouvelle-Aquitaine ; the other Pyrenean crossings are all in either Nouvelle-Aquitaine or Occitanie. And really, it's only those travelling directly to Spain from Normandy who are now exempt from such proofs. However, it's good news generally that some more reopening is occurring.

Travellers to Spain from Italy need no longer carry such proofs if they have travelled from Abruzzo, Liguria, Autonomous Province of Trento, or Sardinia.

Fully vaccinated Australians are to be permitted to travel in and out of the country for non-essential reasons ... from November onwards.
Some more details on this.

It concerns not only Australian nationals but also non-Oz permanent residents of the country.

Other nationals to be allowed entry & exit will first be skilled workers ; and students enrolled in Universities there (which would allow some to do a Camino).

Non-Australians not resident in the country will not be able to travel in and out for reasons of tourism etc until 2022.

However, Australia is now considering permitting open, quarantine-free travel between Oz and certain individual countries, starting with New Zealand, on a case-by-case basis.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some more details on this.

It concerns not only Australian nationals but also non-Oz permanent residents of the country.

Other nationals to be allowed entry & exit will first be skilled workers ; and students enrolled in Universities there (which would allow some to do a Camino).

Non-Australians not resident in the country will not be able to travel in and out for reasons of tourism etc until 2022.

However, Australia is now considering permitting open, quarantine-free travel between Oz and certain individual countries, starting with New Zealand, on a case-by-case basis.
So happy for the Commonwealth….

What does "under reciprocal conditions" even mean in practical terms???​
I found the answer. All I had to do 🤷‍♀️ is scroll down on VisitPortugal and there it was:

Certificates issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions
[Detailed description of the information that these certificates must contain]
Non-reciprocity in the recognition by third countries of the validity of the EU COVID Digital Certificate issued by Portugal, in the modalities of vaccination or recovery certificates, prevents the recognition of the validity of certificates issued by these third countries.
That pretty much rules out the NHS Covid pass and the CDC card for the time being.

BTW, I've been looking every other day for news that the European Commission has published a decision concerning the equivalence of the NHS vaccination certificate, with mutual recognition, but I haven't seen anything so far. So in short: no news and no change. As before, holders of US and UK vaccination certificates must test before they travel to Portugal.

Last edited:
England's red list is to be reduced to just seven countries : Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic. All other countries will thus be on the green list. Scotland has indicated that this was agreed on a four nations basis, so that whilst dates of implementation may vary, this will be valid for the whole of the UK.

The changes will be implemented in England in late October.

However, from Monday morning, the following countries are removed from the red list :

Afghanistan, Angola, Argentina, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Cape Verde, Chile, Congo (Democratic Republic), Costa Rica, Cuba. Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, French Guiana, Georgia, Guyana, Indonesia, Lesotho, Malawi, Mayotte, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Paraguay, Philippines, Réunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Uganda, Uruguay, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The number of countries having their vaccination status certificates recognised by England is set to increase by 37, but I have no details about which countries those are.

All arrivals will still need to complete a passenger locator form.

I found the answer. All I had to do 🤷‍♀️ is scroll down on VisitPortugal and there it was:

Certificates issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions
[Detailed description of the information that these certificates must contain]
Non-reciprocity in the recognition by third countries of the validity of the EU COVID Digital Certificate issued by Portugal, in the modalities of vaccination or recovery certificates, prevents the recognition of the validity of certificates issued by these third countries.
That pretty much rules out the NHS Covid pass and the CDC card for the time being.

BTW, I've been looking every other day for news that the European Commission has published a decision concerning the equivalence of the NHS vaccination certificate, with mutual recognition, but I haven't seen anything so far. So in short: no news and no change. As before, holders of US and UK vaccination certificates must test before they travel to Portugal.
Well, in fact the Portuguese/EU certificate is recognised by the UK.

So, with the caveat that some vaccines approved in the UK are not so in Portugal, meaning that some vaccinated will have to travel as if unvaccinated, reciprocity with the UK exists from the POV of the Portuguese measure.

For travel between Portugal and England, that is, particular measures concerning Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland needing separate consultation.

Last edited:
This is looking better and better :

2021w38_2021w39_COVID_subnational_Last_2week.png

Some scientists are now predicting that the 2021-2022 respiratory diseases season will be dominated by flu, not by Covid19.

Well, in fact the Portuguese/EU certificate is recognised by the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countri...ccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination
So, with the caveat that some vaccines approved in the UK are not so in Portugal, meaning that some vaccinated will have to travel as if unvaccinated, reciprocity with the UK exists from the POV of the Portuguese measure.
There's a difference between a country, such as Portugal, recognising a type of vaccine as a valid vaccine in view of applying their entry requirements on foreign travellers and a country recognising a type of certificate as a valid certificate in view of applying their entry requirements on a foreign traveller. We ought to be clear about this because it is actually of practical interest for readers and we should avoid contributing to the general confusion that reigns:

NHS vaccinated UK travellers to Portugal:​
  1. Do they need a negative test result to enter Portugal because their NHS vaccination certificate does not fall into the category of certificates described on VisitPortugal?
    or
  2. Can they enter Portugal without a negative test result because their NHS vaccination certificate does fall into the category of certificates described on VisitPortugal?
1 or 2?

To jog memories, this is what is says on VisitPortugal:

ACCESSIBILITY
1) Arriving to Portugal by Plane
MAINLAND Portugal
ALLOWED (Essential and non-essential travel)
Countries of the European Union, Schengen Associated countries (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland), Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, South Korea, United States of America, Jordan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay and special admnistrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao
  • RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
    Rapid Antigen Test - 48h before boarding, or
  • a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, or
  • a valid vaccination or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions.

Last edited:
There's a difference between a country, such as Portugal, recognising a type of vaccine as a valid vaccine in view of applying their entry requirements on foreign travellers and a country recognising a type of certificate as a valid certificate in view of applying their entry requirements on a foreign traveller. We ought to be clear about this
Except that this is what "reciprocal conditions" means in this context, legally :

That if a country recognises ours, we can recognise theirs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Except that this is what "reciprocal conditions" means in this context, legally :

That if a country recognises ours, we can recognise theirs.
Our layperson's interpretation of texts on official websites and in foreign laws notwithstanding, the question still remains and the correct answer is of practical interest to the UK traveller to Spain. It could save hassle, time and money: 1 or 2? Test or NHS Covid certificate?

Holders of an EU DCC do not have to take a test before travelling to Portugal.

Holders of an NHS Covid certificate must do what?

Last edited:
Interesting article. Use of this option, established by decree of the Galician regional government, is voluntary. It remains to be seen if and how this works. In force from now until the end of October 2021 but may be prolonged. Albergues who adopt the measure can use 75% of their beds, otherwise only 50% of their beds.

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, 8 Oct. (EUROPA PRESS) -
Albergues will be able to increase their capacity to 75 percent, both public and private albergue, under the condition that they request proof of a Covid certificate [complete vaccination / negative test result not older than 72 h/48h / recovery from recent illness] of people who want to stay in the albergue. This is stated in this Friday's edition of Diario Oficial de Galicia (DOG). The measure has been approved by the Superior Court of Justice of Galicia (TSXG).​
More here:​
or open with Google Translate:​

Last edited:
Albergues will be able to increase their capacity to 75 percent, both public and private albergues, under the condition that they request proof of a Covid certificate of those persons who want to stay in the albergue [= certificate about complete vaccination / negative PCR or antigen test result not older than 72 h resp. 48h / recovery from Covid-19 infection ]
Out of curiosity, I checked the relevant law:

Dentro de los albergues turísticos se incluye la categoría de albergues de peregrinos de los caminos de Santiago.
Albergues that are reserved for pilgrims on the Caminos to Santiago are included in the category "tourist albergues" in regional law in Galicia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The new order of the regional government of Galicia that will allow pilgrim albergues to increase their bed capacity from currently 50% of their full capacity to 75%, provided that vaccinated pilgrims prove their vaccination by an official certificate and non-vaccinated pilgrims pass an antigen test every 48 hours or a PCR test every 72 hours and prove it by an appropriate certificate, has an unusually long prologue where the reasons for the order are enumerated. I've now ploughed through most of it.

Below are some quotes in translation. Bear in mind that this is not someone's personal opinion that you could argue with. These are statements in a regional law, and you can't argue with that. You may want to air your disagreement or your disapproval but if you aren't eligible as a voter in the region and cannot act on it, then there's not much that you can do in practical terms, other than perhaps simply stay away.
  • A pilot test carried out in albergues in Galicia to check the air quality of the rooms where pilgrims sleep, with continuous measurement of the level of carbon dioxide (CO-2), showed measurements ranging from 404 ppm (parts per million) of CO-2 to 3246 ppm, with a median of 1161.5 ppm at 00:00 hours, and from 405 ppm to 4632 ppm, with a median of 1294 ppm at 4:00 hours, indicating that the limits at which it is considered necessary to ventilate (800 ppm) are exceeded.

• Other factors [than those concerning health protection and virus transmission] should also be taken into account, such as the economic impact of reduced capacity in albergues and their repercussions on tourism in Galicia. The limitation of capacity was a major problem for this sector of tourism in Galicia, especially in this Xacobeo year which will be extended to 2022, and at certain times there was insufficient capacity to meet accommodation needs, with a major economic impact on this sector.

• People staying in albergues may come from very different countries and destinations, which increases the risks of exposure to the different variants of the virus, bearing in mind, moreover, that the levels of vaccination coverage in many countries are very different and in many cases lower than those existing in Galicia and Spain.

• In this mix of pilgrims from different origins, from places with lower vaccination rates than Galicia, the obligation to present COVID-19 certificates is a useful tool to control the outbreak of new cases and even the appearance of new variants of the virus, which could affect the positive evolution of the epidemiological situation in Galicia.

• Overnight stays in shared-use rooms increase exposure to respiratory aerosols for several successive hours, with a higher risk of COVID-19 infection.

In crossing over from Portugal to Galicia, noticed that masks are everywhere in Galicia indoor and outdoor. Portugal is more relaxed. Expect to have to use one everywhere

This is just a good (and common sense) public health measure, hopefully allowing a safe but gradual return to pre-Covid levels of accommodation.

Bear in mind that this is not someone's personal opinion that you could argue with. These are statements in a regional law, and you can't argue with that.
You may want to air your disagreement or your disapproval but if you aren't eligible as a voter in the region and cannot act on it, then there's not much that you can do in practical terms, other than perhaps simply stay away.
Amen. And please don't air your disagreement here, evrn if you want to. There's no point.

A pilot test carried out in albergues in Galicia to check the air quality of the rooms where pilgrims sleep, with continuous measurement of the level of carbon dioxide (CO-2), showed measurements ranging from 404 ppm (parts per million) of CO-2 to 3246 ppm, with a median of 1161.5 ppm at 00:00 hours, and from 405 ppm to 4632 ppm, with a median of 1294 ppm at 4:00 hours, indicating that the limits at which it is considered necessary to ventilate (800 ppm) are exceeded.
Wow. Wouldn't it be great to get this data? Covid or not, I know where on that CO² continuum I'd want to stay.

€60,-
The Australian Prime Minister is pushing for the reopening of the country for the fully vaccinated to be brought forward from mid-November to November 1st.

The phasing out of the hotel quarantine is confirmed, with home quarantine to replace it.

From an article elsewhere :

The home quarantine program will see users download an app that uses geolocation and facial recognition technology to track compliance.

Travellers from Portugal and Hungary will now be subject to additional entry rules when reaching Spain since the Ministry of Health has placed the countries on its high-risk areas list.

According to the latest update published by the Spanish Ministry of Health, the new categorisation of countries and regions is effective from today, October 11, and will remain in force until October 17, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

Based on the current rules that Spain has in place, travellers reaching the latter’s territory from Portugal and Hungary or any other country/region that is part of the high-risk list are required to present proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 or proof of recovery. Furthermore, in case the travellers do not hold any of the two certificates, they are required to provide a negative Coronavirus test result.

Spain Adds Portugal, Hungary & Several Other Regions to Its High-Risk Areas List
the new categorisation of countries and regions is effective from today, October 11, and will remain in force until October 17, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.
Sounds surprising at first because Portugal is reported as one of the countries with the highest vaccination rates in the world so why would it now all of a sudden be "added" by Spain to their list of risk areas within the EU ???

So I immediately checked what Spain had on their previous list of risk areas as far as Portugal is concerned. Here it is:

06-12 September: Portugal
13-19 September: Portugal (Continente y Região Autónoma da Madeira)
20-26 September: Portugal
27 Sep-03 October: Portugal
04-10 October: Portugal (Continente y Região Autónoma da Madeira)
11-17 October: Portugal

Portugal consists of Continente, Região Autónoma dos Açores and Região Autónoma da Madeira. We see that mainland Portugal, as well as Madeira, has been on Spain's list of risk areas for ages. It is just the Azores that Spain added or took off their list from time to time, depending on whether their current incidence rate was above or below the fixed threshold. Spain does the same with the regions of France, Italy, Germany and the rest of the 26. Every 7 days, they modify their risk area list and publish it on the SpTH website.

Like many other websites, Schengenvisainfo tries to produce some kind of "news" every day to keep their web traffic up .... some of it is just blown-up news, as in this case.

Last edited:
The Italian Secretary of State for Health has indicated that the covid measures in the country may be ending.

“It is reasonable to think that with the new year, there may be a revision of the restrictive measures currently in place in our country, including the Green pass, which may be revised and reduced in its application,” Costa said yesterday in an interview for Rainews24.

During the same interview, Costa explained that the state emergency of the country ends at the end of 2021. Therefore, indicating that if the number of hospitalised persons continues to drop and if the vaccination rates continue to increase, citizens of the country will be able to return to normality without having to follow additional Coronavirus-related measures.

Not really lockdown/reopening business -- but a reminder that starting next year, travelling to Europe from countries & with nationalities not needing a visa will require an ETIAS certificate.

This probably deserves its own thread.

Not really lockdown/reopening business -- but a reminder that starting next year, travelling to Europe from countries & with nationalities not needing a visa will require an ETIAS certificate.

This probably deserves its own thread.
Agreed, but let's wait until we get some definitive updates on the schedule.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From November 8th, fully vaccinated non-US nationals travelling from the Schengen area, plus the UK, Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, and South Africa will be able to enter the US from those countries for non-essential purposes.

The Australian state of New South Wales is ending its quarantine mandate for International travel on November 1st, though at first this will only be for Australian nationals, permanent residents, and members of their families. The mandatory hotel quarantine will not be replaced by home quarantine, as some other Australian States may do, but quarantines are being scrapped altogether in NSW.

There will be a numbers cap for the unvaccinated returning to NSW, initially 210/day.

Nothing about vaccination and/or test certificates for travel is changing.

Australians will be able to apply for an international COVID-19 vaccination certificate, including in digital format, from Tuesday.

There is serious noise that the French want to invalidate being double jabbed for the vaxx pass, but instead demand triple jabbed.

Although proof of a negative test or a proof of recent recovery from the disease do persist.

But pilgrims should be advised that their local vaxx requirements may not be sufficient for the French in future, so that those wishing to start in France and travelling from outside the EU/Schengen might want to exercise some caution prior to expenditures.

pilgrims should be advised that their local vaxx requirements may not be sufficient for the French in future, so that those wishing to start in France and travelling from outside the EU/Schengen might want to exercise some caution prior to expenditures.
And just get your boosters as soon as you can. That simple act will at the very least make your life easier and the rest of us safer.

And just get your boosters as soon as you can. That simple act will at the very least make your life easier and the rest of us safer.
I cannot comment towards medical advice to others.

In addition to Normandy, the French regions of Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, Centre-Val de Loire, Grand Est, and La Réunion have been accepted for covid-mandate free travel to Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The UK is considering scrapping its red list entirely, and also putting an end to mandatory hotel quarantine, replacing it instead as the case may be with a 10-day home quarantine. Bearing in mind that the rules put in place for England will vary from those in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

If you are in the UK and have been vaccinated, your NHS pass is only recognised in the EU if downloaded November 1st or later.

People who obtained their certificate earlier than that should therefore obtain a fresh copy.

Last edited:
That information is incorrect. Australia is one of the countries NOT AT RISK. See the Spanish Government website here.
Hi Kanga! Just to clear up any potential misunderstandings. Australia has been a 'Not at Risk' country for the Spanish government and under Spanish law since 22 July 2020 (2020 is not a typo). Without interruption.

This means that travellers on flights from Australia to Spain have been allowed and are allowed to enter the country without restrictions, whether they are on an essential trip or on a non-essential trip, whether they are vaccinated or not. No quarantine, no vaccination passport, no pre-flight test are or have been required of them since the summer of last year.

All they have and had to do is fill in the SpTH form where they confirm that they have not been in contact with a Covid-19 case during the last 14 days and that they will not travel to Spain if they themselves present symptoms of an acute respiratory infection during the 14 days prior to travel.

Perhaps not many people know this because so few travelled from Australia to Spain since the summer of 2020. But that was not due to Spanish or EU rules ☺️. There are no reciprocity requirements.

See Orden INT/657/2020 and its 25 modifications since July 2020. Australia has always been on the list of 'Not at Risk' countries since then. This decree is currently in force until 30 November 2021. The Spanish government usually prolongs this decree at the end of each month.

Last edited:
If you are in the UK and have been vaccinated, your NHS pass is only recognised in the EU if downloaded November 1st or later.

People who obtained their certificate earlier than that should therefore obtain a fresh copy.
This also is incorrect. My NHS app was downloaded on September 25th and accepted by Spanish frontier authorities on that date. It then automatically "reloads" and the date extends by one month whenever needed - so, when I checked to see this morning, it is now valid until December 4th (which is just over 6 months from my second vaccination). I'm not expecting to leave Spain until about December 10th and not expecting any problems.

There are no reciprocity requirements.
Perhaps I could have phrased the post that everyone seems to be piling on differently, and FWIW I decided not to include a phrase about how the list of countries given was likely to be expanded in rather short order, as that would have been speculative on the day, but it's still not a post about the specific case of travel from Australia to Spain only. There are major pilgrimage routes in the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican City State, and some lesser travelled routes in Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, and elsewhere.

And there are certainly reciprocity issues between Australian vaccination certifications and the EU passes, and the passes of the various EU Member States each in particular. For example, the Portuguese reciprocity question that you yourself have spent some time on.

I hope that these reciprocity issues have been mostly resolved amidst this shifting situation, and if so, posts simply informing members that this is the case should be a lot more helpful than ones intending polemic.

That some individual EU Member States may have more generous or more restrictive requirements than the EU as a whole is not an unknown, nor is it an unknown that Australian States have their own local travel & quarantine policies that vary from the overall national approach. And Australia has its own outbound travel rules, which thankfully are starting to be less restrictive.

But this argumentative approach is not helpful towards the thread, nor towards pilgrims.

I would suggest, if people find that the present state of affairs has changed from 10 to 15 days ago from what has previously been described, rather than posting "incorrect" and etc, that positive information be given instead along the lines "As things now stand, Australians may travel to EU countries under the following general conditions" and so on.

There is no doubt that the situation for travel from Australia to the EU generally and to certain EU countries particularly is non-identical to what it was 10 days ago ; nor is there doubt that Spain has its own entry rules that are more generous than those of most EU nations.

Descriptive posts simply detailing states of affairs at time of writing are the purpose of this thread. Those states of affairs are OTOH constantly shifting day to day and country to country, so that posts even recent enough can be outdated. But this is more of an ongoing news thread than an encyclopaedic information one, and as we all know, what was true in yesterday's news isn't always true in today's.

This thread has slipped into discussions that have little meaning except for the many Pilgrims from Oz. Those pilgrims have good access to information on current Covid restrictions concerning Australians.
The Australian sub forum is an excellent place for that discussion.

The thread has been closed to further posts.

...added....This thread is now closed as people continue to post incorrect and misleading information. Go to the Spanish Government website if you need to know the requirements for entry into Spain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back