• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Locked in room, hilarity follows

SpanBrit

Time of past OR future Camino
Unsure, maybe the Madrid + Invierno
And now for one of those inevitable Camino stories, I was in a hostel (in a luxurious double bed because I'm getting old) just about ready to sleep when I realized the lightswitch was outside. No problem right? I'll just open the door. But wait... The door won't open 😅 This was at about 10:30pm. Cue 30 minutes of me frantically trying and failing to open the door. I can't climb out the window because there are bars in them, so what do I do? Eventually I work up the nerve to call the albergue, and miracle of miracles, someone answers "hola, perdón pero la puerta de mi habitación está totalmente jo...." "Que?" "Que no habré!" He rushed over and tries to open it. It's a no. He tries several tools, it's still a no. Finally some people from the summer camp help out and after hammering, drilling and destroying the door handle it still doesn't open. Finally after another 30 minutes they manage to get it open just in time for me to offer to buy them all beers, turn the light off and go to bed 🤣 they even fit a new door handle with no actual lock (just the top lock) to avoid any issues. 10/10 service, 10/10 Camino story, 1/10 door 🤣 They took it pretty well all things considered and we all had a good laugh about it, but I'm still convinced the door is cursed...

Attachments

• PXL_20220624_214021044.jpg
    PXL_20220624_214021044.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
  • PXL_20220624_214018287.jpg
    PXL_20220624_214018287.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
A selection of Camino Jewellery
And now for one of those inevitable Camino stories, I was in a hostel (in a luxurious double bed because I'm getting old) just about ready to sleep when I realized the lightswitch was outside. No problem right? I'll just open the door. But wait... The door won't open 😅 This was at about 10:30pm. Cue 30 minutes of me frantically trying and failing to open the door. I can't climb out the window because there are bars in them, so what do I do? Eventually I work up the nerve to call the albergue, and miracle of miracles, someone answers "hola, perdón pero la puerta de mi habitación está totalmente jo...." "Que?" "Que no habré!" He rushed over and tries to open it. It's a no. He tries several tools, it's still a no. Finally some people from the summer camp help out and after hammering, drilling and destroying the door handle it still doesn't open. Finally after another 30 minutes they manage to get it open just in time for me to offer to buy them all beers, turn the light off and go to bed 🤣 they even fit a new door handle with no actual lock (just the top lock) to avoid any issues. 10/10 service, 10/10 Camino story, 1/10 door 🤣 They took it pretty well all things considered and we all had a good laugh about it, but I'm still convinced the door is cursed...
You are not alone!! In 2017 we walked the San Salvador. In La Pena we stayed in the albergue. First the electricity went out when someone plugged something in. The Polideportivo sent a man who showed us how to work the fuse box in the music school next door (!) and he gave us a key to get into that building in case it happened again. We went to sleep early, waking at 10:00 to someone knocking on the door to our room, the one with all the beds. It was locked. There were 3 of us inside with everyone else out in the hall trying to get in. Sliding a card up and down didn't release it. A Polish girl called her "Tata" (father) in Poland to get advice on getting it unlocked. No success. We also had bars on the window so that was no option. Finally another call to the Polideportivo brought a man who dramatically broke the door in and all was well -- everyone was in bed by 11:00. Glad I took photos of the whole adventure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hysterical thank

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hysterical thank you!!!

That's quite the story, I m glad you were able to get ahold of someone. I was slept in a closet on the Portuguese rte, thean in the actual room left the key in the lock so I could use his toilet. Somehow I got locked in the bathroom and had to bang on the door to wake him up to let me out, then it turns I locked him in the room, along with a random cat that had followed me in a d slept late. When I got up he was waiting to leave, and let the cat out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.