• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lockers, Shipping Luggage & Early riser Peregrino

Ignacio

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello and good health to ALL of you peregrinos!

I am from California, USA and I'll be 65 yrs. old when I embark on this "Trek". Glad to report that I have been training and I am eager to get started. I'll be in Europe for about 7 weeks, so hopefully plenty of time to complete the Camino. This will be my first contribution to this blog (& hopefully not the last) I have 3 questions that I would like to put out there for all the Camino Frances veterans to contribute or comment on, Please!;)

My Questions:

1. I keep reading items about thievery on the Camino, i.e. stolen backpacks, wallets, phones, etc. My question on this is: Don't the albergues have LOCKERS (or another secure location) where you can place your valuables while you are there?

2. I would like to ship my suitcase to Casa Ivar at Santiago de Compostela from SJPdP. I will arrive there on August 25, 2016 at approx. 2-4 PM, will I be able to find a shipping place (Post Office or other) open so that I can ship it on THAT particular day?

3. I am an early riser, I find that I can function better getting up B/T 3-5 AM and I have been doing this for my training now. I function better this way and I found out that it helps me not walking with the sun as much. I have found out that the sun/heat really sap my energy, so if at all possible I would like to have an early start while I am doing El Camino Frances. By the way, I consider myself to be extremely considerate and I go to sleep with everything READY to go in the morning so to cause the least amount of disturbance to my fellow peregrinos. The question on this is: Is it too early because of visibility on the Camino or the albergue is closed, etc?

My projected starting day is August 26, 2016, as early as possible.

Your thoughts and comments on any of my three questions will be greatly appreciated -- BUEN CAMINO ALWAYS to all of you and in advance THANK YOU!:D

Ignacio

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Ignacio,
I never had a problem with theft along the camino. I had my valuables on me or very close at all times. There was never an issue. Only a couple of places I stayed at provided a locker. So I wouldn't really plan on that being an option.

I didn't ship anything to Ivar until I reached Pamplona. I didn't notice where you would be flying into. If you fly into Madrid, there are post offices there. From what I have read, it is cheaper to ship within the same country. It may be better to just have them transport your bag (courier service) for you until you reach Spain - then ship on to Ivar.

There were several times that I got up and started walking during the hours that you mentioned. Just be sure to let the hospitalero know the night before. Most of the time I was placed near the door so that I would not disurb the other pilgrims. I also pre-packed my backpack so there wouldn't be too much shuffling around in the morning. I also wore what I would be walking in the next day while I slept. So, in the morning I just had to brush my teeth and put in my socks and shoes and go.

Buen Camino from another Californian -
Margie

Hi Margie,
Thank you so much for your reply and comments. "Every bit of information adds to the whole and eventually that item becomes invaluable", I read that somewhere and I have learned that it is very true! At any rate, thank you for your contribution it is highly appreciated. To add additional information to my original post. I will be flying from NY to Madrid to Biarritz and unfortunately the lag time between flights in Madrid-Biarritz is too short for me to find a post office to ship my luggage to Ivar, so if I can't find a suitable place in SJPdP, I will have to think about having my suitcase transported to a place in Spain where I can ship it. I'll have to weight the options of paying to transport or just ship it from SJPdP? We'll see.

Thanks again and may your caminos always be pleasant,
Ignacio

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
WRT to your questions:
1. Some do, but not all. There is a wealth of material on the forum about how to manage that.
2. You might try finding the la poste site and checking the opening hours for the post office in St Jean Pied de Port. From memory, it is www.laposte.fr, and it does not have an option to translate it from French, so you might want to open it with a browser that translates automatically.
3. My experience is that very few people can leave an albergue early without disrupting others. Also, don't expect there to be much sympathy if you want quiet in the dormitory in the afternoon or early evening because you want to rise early. It is a common area, and while others might make some effort to minimise the noise they make, they will still need to go about activities that may disrupt those trying to sleep. It will certainly be dark if you intend to leave before 5.00. It will be dark before 8.00 am in spring and autumn, depending on where you are walking.

ps - try http://suncalc.net if you want to find out when sunrise/sunset etc occurs at various places and times.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would not recommend that you ship anything from France to Spain as you will be dealing with customs in Spain, which could be problematic. So check the towns you will be stopping at in Spain to see if there is a Correos (post office) in the town and ship from there. Until you can ship your suitcase, you can use a luggage transport service to transport your luggage each day to your destination.

You could ship stuff direct to Casa Ivar from your home. But by the time you get there you will probably wonder why you thought you needed most of it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could ship stuff direct to Casa Ivar from your home. But by the time you get there you will probably wonder why you thought you needed most of it!
That is not recommended. The shipment will be held by the Spanish customs service until you retrieve it if you are posting from outside the Schengen zone.

Maybe repeating what others said, but some more specifics from my experience. Valuables you always carry on you = money, cards, passport. It would be very rare that anyone would care about your backpack and boots inside the albergue. I wasn't comfortable leaving my backpack outside the albergue (like before it opens), so I stayed nearby or left it with a friendly shopkeeper.

Re. early riser and being "pre-packed" the night before... I never was able to actually have my pack completely ready to go for the next morning. Still had to arrange some things in the pack in the am, including my sleeping bag, which was easier to put in first (so everything else has to come out). So as soon as I got to the albergue, I would lay out my sleeping bag and a fleece jacket for a pillow and take out a couple of stuffsacks; one with bathroom toiletries, one with misc. things I knew I'd need like a knife, phone charging cord, safety pins, flashlight, etc. etc. (You soon figure out what you need once you're ensconced in the albergue). And then, if I planned to get up early, I would often actually find a place outside the sleeping room; in the common kitchen area, in the hall, etc. and leave my backpack there. Never worried about it. In the morning, I would grab my sleeping bag, my two stuff sacks and be out of the sleeping room into a common room where I could re-pack everything at my leisure. Didn't disturb a soul. DO NOT root around with a flashlight in the morning where others are sleeping. It's annoying as hell.

I would advise you to not mess with trying to ship things from Madrid or from SJPP. You will have enough other things on your mind when you first get there. Wherever you stay in SJPP, the albergue will help you fill out a short form to leave with the luggage you want carried ahead. The courier will pick it up from there and drive it to the next place you want to get it. It's a very easy, common procedure on the camino. Reserve ahead - somebody in SJPP can help you with this, too - an albergue or hostal that takes reservations in, say, Pamplona and have your things shipped there. If you aren't sure exactly what day you will arrive in Pamplona, tell them that, too. People on this forum can tell you about friendly, inexpensive places to stay in Pamplona that will hold your things for you until you get there. By then you'll have your footing and you can go to the post office, where they have boxes, and mail your stuff to Ivar. I stayed an extra day in Pamplona and took care of things like that, and enjoyed wandering around the city.

Have a great time!
Jill

I keep reading items about thievery on the Camino, i.e. stolen backpacks, wallets, phones, etc.
Yes, it does happen, but not often when you consider how people regularly leave their backpacks unattended. Be sure not to leave your valuables (passport, reserve of cash, bank cards, electronics) unattended, just as you would never leave them unattended in a public place at home.

Regarding luggage, at any accommodation in SJPP, they will be able to arrange for you to forward your luggage ahead the next morning. Don't try to mail your bag from SJPP (France) to Santiago (Spain) as it will be more expensive and perhaps complicated. JillGat has some good suggestions for waiting until Pamplona to do it. And it is probably true that if you wait until Pamplona, you will be putting more stuff into that suitcase than you expected to, in order to lighten your backpack. However, don't be tempted to send on your rain gear just because the weather has been beautiful for your first few days!

I'm a bit leery of the idea of people in shared quarters getting up at 3 a.m. Surely 5 a.m.would be more appropriate.

Enjoy your planning and buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I function better this way and I found out that it helps me not walking with the sun as much. I have found out that the sun/heat really sap my energy..

Regarding rising times, one thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the US where we have multiple time zones that are (more or less) in correspondence with the 'real' longitudinal time zones, (almost) all of continental Western Europe is on a single time zone. This means that Eastern Spain is on the same time as Berlin though it is geographically in line with the UK (an hour earlier). This means that 5am is really 4am from a sunshine perspective.

In Western Spain (e.g. Santiago) it is more like 2 hours ahead of the 'natural' time.

All of this is to say that it might not be as much of an issue there.

Peace,

-Jason

Last edited:
Another option if you are travelling round Europe afterwards is to leave the suitcase in a left luggage and go back for it. Or just don't take the suitcase and shop for a few smarter items when you get to Santiago. Like I said, your idea of what is 'essential' will be radically different after you just walked 800km.

Regarding lockers, more and more albergues have them, but do not count on them. What I have never seen supplied is a lockpad, so bring one with you. The little travel ones are fine, no need to carry a large school locker type of lockpad.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Much of the reported theft of backpacks now seems to be associated with pack transport as they are commonly left in an unsecure area for pickup by the service. They are also simply deposited at bars or albergues..again with little or no security. Albergues and hospitaleros do not want to accept responsibility or liability for the security of packs left. Some are a bit careful...but looking out for packs that are not carried is not part of the job for most. They have much more to take care of. The bars can be very hit and miss also. Some may put it behind the bar or in a closet and ask for ID.
Others just have a place to stack them and you come in and take yours. If you look like a pilgrim they pay little attention and hope you buy something for the service.

Theft of backpacks in the albergues seems to be less of a problem than theft of valuables (phones, cash, cameras, etc.) that are left out. It is hard to fathom that anyone would still do this...but they do.
There has been a lot of talk from albergue owners and hospitaleros that the backpack transport service has been a big source of Bedbug spreading as they are stacked up in the back of vans and often left in big piles. They are in contact with each other for long periods of time.
I am not sure if there is evidence...but they highly suspect this source. It does seem to make sense. Not sure how you would protect against this.

2. There is a Post Office in the Madrid airport if you time permits. Google the layout of the airport to get the location. I have used it and it is very efficient. Have your shipment ready to mail and it will only take a few minutes.
If you are mailing a suitcase....it would have to be in a box if you ship it from SJPP. I did this in January this year and it was surprisingly cheaper than I expected. Similar to Spanish fees. Simple to do in the little SJPP Post Office between the Train Depot and town.
Custom form has to filled out...but it is simple and customs is not a problem for Ivar if it is from the EU. Outside of the EU is a major headache for Ivar.
Be sure to include your email address on outside of package and Ivar will email you a confirmation of receipt of shipment.
Do not put any valuables in the mail....just as a caution.

Just my experience and opinion. Others may have a differing experience.

I am an early riser, I find that I can function better getting up B/T 3-5 AM and I have been doing this for my training now. I function better this way and I found out that it helps me not walking with the sun as much. I have found out that the sun/heat really sap my energy, so if at all possible I would like to have an early start while I am doing El Camino Frances. By the way, I consider myself to be extremely considerate and I go to sleep with everything READY to go in the morning so to cause the least amount of disturbance to my fellow peregrinos. The question on this is: Is it too early because of visibility on the Camino or the albergue is closed, etc?
At home I'm an early riser but I didn't care for those doing that on the camino and my wife absolutely hated them. That said I'll give you a few tips that may help keep people friendly to you.

Bring a very large although lightweight sack with you (not plastic, they make a lot of noise.) In the morning just quietly dump your things in it, leave the dorm and then sort and pack your stuff where the noise and light will not bother anyone.

Please carry two flashlights. One is a headlamp for your walking in the dark. The other should be a small handheld light with a red bulb. Headlamps shine all over the place when you are packing. There will be less waking of sleepers using a handheld light. The red lamp is so if you do shine it in someone's eyes they will have a better chance of getting back to sleep.

Some cell phone chargers have an LED attached that can be used as a flashlight. Put a red transparent cover over the LED and this could do double duty for you, saving some weight.

Also:

Spain requires night walkers to wear reflective material.

In a recent post someone mentioned that the guard dogs are often loose at night.

At least one albergue where I stayed had a early riser rule. No one leaves until until 6:00.

Send your suitcase from Spain if at all possible. It will be cheaper. Do NOT send it from outself the EU. It will likely get held up in customs and the items in it taxed.

wow small world! Hi Rick and Peg. Saw you and Peg .....>>> Was it Frances 2014 SJDP ??

I did the Ingles this year. May. Loved it.

Will do the Portuguese this fall. Come and join us.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
wow small world! Hi Rick and Peg. Saw you and Peg .....>>> Was it Frances 2014 SJDP ??
Hello Marty. It was last year (2015) in St. Jean, Valcarlos and Roncevalles. Then you left us in the dust (mud actually, it was raining.) Another camino sounds nice but we've already got a trip scheduled for this year. We lucked out and on the first day that reservations were allowed we managed to get some spots for the Milford Track in NZ.

I'll PM you.

I shipped luggage to Ivar and I cannot tell you how happy I was at the end of my Camino to be able to put on jeans, sandals, a cute top, and makeup. We had several days before we flew home and I was really glad not to be stuck wearing my Camino clothes anymore :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a
Hello and good health to ALL of you peregrinos!

I am from California, USA and I'll be 65 yrs. old when I embark on this "Trek". Glad to report that I have been training and I am eager to get started. I'll be in Europe for about 7 weeks, so hopefully plenty of time to complete the Camino. This will be my first contribution to this blog (& hopefully not the last) I have 3 questions that I would like to put out there for all the Camino Frances veterans to contribute or comment on, Please!;)

My Questions:

1. I keep reading items about thievery on the Camino, i.e. stolen backpacks, wallets, phones, etc. My question on this is: Don't the albergues have LOCKERS (or another secure location) where you can place your valuables while you are there?

2. I would like to ship my suitcase to Casa Ivar at Santiago de Compostela from SJPdP. I will arrive there on August 25, 2016 at approx. 2-4 PM, will I be able to find a shipping place (Post Office or other) open so that I can ship it on THAT particular day?

3. I am an early riser, I find that I can function better getting up B/T 3-5 AM and I have been doing this for my training now. I function better this way and I found out that it helps me not walking with the sun as much. I have found out that the sun/heat really sap my energy, so if at all possible I would like to have an early start while I am doing El Camino Frances. By the way, I consider myself to be extremely considerate and I go to sleep with everything READY to go in the morning so to cause the least amount of disturbance to my fellow peregrinos. The question on this is: Is it too early because of visibility on the Camino or the albergue is closed, etc?

My projected starting day is August 26, 2016, as early as possible.

Your thoughts and comments on any of my three questions will be greatly appreciated -- BUEN CAMINO ALWAYS to all of you and in advance THANK YOU!:D

Ignacio
luggage transport office just a few doors down from the pilgrim office in SJPD. It was 70.00 euro to ship and hold it in Santiago until your arrival. It's right across from the outfitter (sporting goods) store.

ALL of continental Western Europe is on a single time zone. This means that Eastern Spain is on the same time as Berlin though it is geographically in line with the UK (an hour earlier).
Just in case anyone is misled, your 'All' should read 'Most' as Portugal is on the same time as the UK (as should be most of Spain). So those walking the Portuguese Camino lose an hour when crossing into Spain.

Just in case anyone is misled, your 'All' should read 'Most' as Portugal is on the same time as the UK (as should be most of Spain). So those walking the Portuguese Camino lose an hour when crossing into Spain.
Very true, and an especially reprehensible ommission given that I'm (mostly) Portuguese! :)

Added the appropriate 'almost' qualifier to the previous post.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1. Much of the reported theft of backpacks now seems to be associated with pack transport as they are commonly left in an unsecure area for pickup by the service. They are also simply deposited at bars or albergues..again with little or no security. Albergues and hospitaleros do not want to accept responsibility or liability for the security of packs left. Some are a bit careful...but looking out for packs that are not carried is not part of the job for most. They have much more to take care of. The bars can be very hit and miss also. Some may put it behind the bar or in a closet and ask for ID.
Others just have a place to stack them and you come in and take yours. If you look like a pilgrim they pay little attention and hope you buy something for the service.

Theft of backpacks in the albergues seems to be less of a problem than theft of valuables (phones, cash, cameras, etc.) that are left out. It is hard to fathom that anyone would still do this...but they do.
There has been a lot of talk from albergue owners and hospitaleros that the backpack transport service has been a big source of Bedbug spreading as they are stacked up in the back of vans and often left in big piles. They are in contact with each other for long periods of time.
I am not sure if there is evidence...but they highly suspect this source. It does seem to make sense. Not sure how you would protect against this.

2. There is a Post Office in the Madrid airport if you time permits. Google the layout of the airport to get the location. I have used it and it is very efficient. Have your shipment ready to mail and it will only take a few minutes.
If you are mailing a suitcase....it would have to be in a box if you ship it from SJPP. I did this in January this year and it was surprisingly cheaper than I expected. Similar to Spanish fees. Simple to do in the little SJPP Post Office between the Train Depot and town.
Custom form has to filled out...but it is simple and customs is not a problem for Ivar if it is from the EU. Outside of the EU is a major headache for Ivar.
Be sure to include your email address on outside of package and Ivar will email you a confirmation of receipt of shipment.
Do not put any valuables in the mail....just as a caution.

Just my experience and opinion. Others may have a differing experience.

A QUICK QUESTION: ANY CHANCE IF YOU KNOW IF THE POST OFFICE AT MAD IS OPEN ON SUNDAY?

A QUICK QUESTION: ANY CHANCE IF YOU KNOW IF THE POST OFFICE AT MAD IS OPEN ON SUNDAY?

There are quite a few Correos in Madrid but whichever one you had in mind the answer is 'no'. 'Cerrado Domingos y Festivos' is what the website says and as we all know there are no lies on the intranet.

There are quite a few Correos in Madrid but whichever one you had in mind the answer is 'no'. 'Cerrado Domingos y Festivos' is what the website says and as we all know there are no lies on the intranet.
Yes, I was speaking about the MAD airport, thinking it might be an exception -- but the Correos website shows them all closed. Not a big deal . . . other options. Thanks for the response.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back