• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Locking the bike en route?

FlyingBarney

I am planning to cycle, starting around September 15. I have a bicycle and a trailer, and wonder about their safety along the route. I did bring bike locks with me, yet am curious about how safe they are along the way, in albergues, etc...

Any thoughts and/or comments...

Simon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In two Caminos and one Via Francigena I have never had any bike theft problems but then I have always taken a bike lock and used it so I do not know how safe it would be without one. I never worried about them locked in albergues and hotels but was very concerned at leaving them in large cities like Burgos and Salamanca in public to look at Cathedrals etc so we tended to put the bikes safely away at the hotel or albergue before we went sightseeing.

Also there were two of us so if I went into a bar to get cafes con leche etc or a sandwich there was always someone outside with the bikes.

We do much the same as William, and have not had any problem with theft. When they are loaded we are more careful about leaving them in sight of us (as well as locked), although I can remember several times when we left them with the panniers on propped up outside a Tourist Office or some other well frequented place while we went for a wander around shops or similar.

Instead of front panniers we have removable wire baskets which we like to think makes the bikes look undesirable ( they are nothing special anyway) and old-fashioned. So if we are cycling around having left the panniers somewhere we think they are even safer. Also the baskets are useful for shopping because they lift off easily! Again, we do lock if we leave them. But most locks are no deterrent to a determined thief, we are told!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.