• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging in Santiago

MoniRose

Time of past OR future Camino
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
I will be returning to Santiago in July to walk to Finestera/Muxia. Can anyone recommend good, inexpensive lodging near the cathedral? I don't want a high end hotel but rather inexpensive quaint hotels or hostels. I will wait to enjoy the pilgrim albergues once I start my walk, unless there is an awesome one I shouldn't miss! However, I do want to be close to the cathedral. Last time I spent my last two nights in Santiago at the Convento de San Fransico. It was nice but too expensive for this trip.

Thanks for any help! - Monica :arrow:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Monica.

I usually stay in the Seminario up the steps by the side of the cathedral. It has a 'pilgrim floor' with basic rooms, but they are very clean and en suite. It cost 23 Euros a night last time I stayed in one (incl breakfast). The other floors are more plush, so if the pilgrim rooms are full you'd pay significantly more. It's a great building with cloisters and courtyards.

I don't think the website mentions the pilg floor, but here it is.
http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/index.php?idIdioma=3

Buen Camino!

Monica,

I agree with Tyrrek that the Hospedario San Martin Pinario is a VERY good stop in Santiago!

Most pilgrim rooms are singles at 23 Euros. Ask about these when you email your query. for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu. Do NOT use their on-line booking form which is only for more expensive and more elegant tourist accommodation.

I stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012 and found it comfortable and most convenient. They are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Monica.

I have stayed in several places in Santiago, last year I stayed at San Martin Pinario and I will agree with the other two posts this is a great place to stay @ 23 euro for a private room with ensuite and linen including a buffet breakfast, located just outside the cathedral is fantastic value!! I stayed there for almost 1 week, when I return to Santiago i would not consider any other option. The free wifi is not available throughout the building especially not on the pilgrims floor but there is a sitting lounge area on the other floor that has wifi that you can use, I generally go to the Parador, order a Cafe Con Leche 1.40eu sit in their lounge area and use the free wifi there, very peaceful and comfortable, all for the price of a good coffee :)

Thanks for reminding me about this and posting the web page, I will record the contact number in my phone before I forget, it is a popular place, and I will phone ahead once I know when I will be arriving into Santiago. Check in is after lunch but you can leave you backpack there whilst you explore the city etc, when you first arrive I would go there to check room availability before going to the pilgrims office .

Buen Camino!

Frank

This looks wonderful! I will email them as soon as I know my dates.
Thank you all so much! - Monica :arrow:

There is a little lane just behind Plaza de Galicia called Entremurallas. There are two small hostals there, A Nosa Casa and Mapoula which are 20-ish euros a night. I've stayed in both, both are nice, the staff in A Nosa Casa are particularly helpful. It's maybe 10 min walk to Plaza Obradoiro and about 100m to the airport bus stop. Not as nice as the San Martin (probably had the best meal of my time in Spain there) but cheap, quiet and very nice.

You can make reservations for both on booking.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.