• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging in Santiago

Mediana

Hi,

Not sure I'm posting this in the right section, but mods feel free to move it.
I'm about to go my first camino from Santiago to Finisterre and perhaps to Muxia. I will arrive in Santiago next Sunday at around 3PM and plan on starting my walk the next day. If everything goes well I'll take a bus back from Muxia or Finisterre on friday afternoon. Should I reserve lodging in Santiago in advance? How hard is it to find a place?

Sorry for the newbie question, but have been looking around this forum and haven't find the answer. To be honest, the more I read on this forum the more anxious I get about things.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try calliing these three in advance - they're fantastic - I've stayed in all three:

Pensión Hostal Suso
C/Rua do Vilar Nº, 65
15705 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
981 58 66 11

Hotel Costa Vella
Rúa Porta Da Pena, 17
15704 Santiago De Compostela, Spain
981 56 95 30

Hostal LaSalle
Rúa de Tras Santa Clara
15704 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
981 58 56 67

Buen suerte!

lynne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mediana,
Hi - I'm just commenting on your comment that the more you look around the more nervous you are getting...
What you're getting is that there are so many ways to do things and most of them work. Or if they don't you'll figure it out when you're there. A Holy year is a little bit different because there are more people. It can be more crowded and it can be more exciting. But don't worry about all the details. They have a way of working themselves out when you get there.
AS long as you're sure of the day you will arrive in Santiago it may be comforting to have a hotel booked ahead - especially if you will be arriving during June, July or August. Incidentally - if you're working with a travel agents/he would likely be willing to make any hotel reservations for you if you give them the details.
If you are not sure within a day or two when you will be there I encourage you to use Ivar the owner/moderator of this site (look at the bottom of the page). He is right there in Santiago and will have a good handle on things on the spot.
But mainly I just want to say - relax - it all works itself out. You can 'detail' yourself into insanity and it's not necessary. Enjoy it all and buen camino. Cecelia

Thanks Cecelia ..

I tried calling the hostels mentioned here and what I got recommended by messanges but all where fully booked. I finally found a midrange hotel that looked OK and booked it for my first and last night. I can even leave my bag during the time which solved my question about storage in Santiago.

Wow! It really is busier this year! Glad you got something, Mediana!

lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Recently stayed in Hotel Gastronoica - double room 70 euros (sept) and Hotel Real 40 euros single room. Both nice altho Real a bit noisy. They are in good position for walking into the old city from the airport bus stop. Good idea to book in advance if you can as things were pretty busy and we needed to move on after each night so a bit of a hassle.

Hello

Just back from Santiago (Via de la Plata + Camino portugues de la Plata + Camino Sanabres).

Wish to recomend Hotel Miradoiro de Belvis. Roughly 65 euros w/o bkfast.
Very quiet, spacious rooms, free internet access, slightly out of old town, 5 'minutes walk from Cathedral, overlooking a school soccer stadium and Monastery of Belvis, staff very friendly and helpful.

Our third stay in Santiago after Frances and Norte, really enjoyed it.
I have discovered a pretty good restaurant very close to Miradoiro (50 euros wine included for two) where celebrated the end of our third pilgrimage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd recommend Casa Felisa too, like Whalleyranger posted before!
I stayed there on my first night in santiago and booked there also my last night!
The situation is really perfect!

Hola - a few weeks ago I was looking for rooms for a group of about 7 pilgrims who were coming out from London to meet another group walking up from Oporto. I got them accommodated together in a hostal but in the process I simply walked around and went into the many, many hostals around the Old Town. This was at the height of the season and although a lot of places were "completo" there were still a lot of single and double rooms available in ones or twos. I know people often want the security of having a booking but I'd be quite confident, especially outside of July/August, just putting my rucksack into left luggage and walking around until I found a place.

My own personal favourite is the Hostal Girasol (literally accross the road from the Casa Felisa) where they look after pilgrims superbly well.

http://www.hgirasol.com/ They also helpfully do e mail bookings.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My fave remains the Hostal Alameda on Rua San Clemente. You are 3 mins from the cathedral. At 24 euros a night for a single it´s the best bargain around. Very pilgrim friendly. I am almost part of the family now. Good resturants downstairs. If you are on you way to Finisierre, you are 1 minute from the route on Calle de las Hortas.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

JohnnieWalker said:
I know people often want the security of having a booking but I'd be quite confident, especially outside of July/August, just putting my rucksack into left luggage and walking around until I found a place.

I will be arriving in Santiago in mid-June. Could you tell me where I would find said left luggage place? I am nervous about not having a booking, but don't want to restrict my Camino with deadlines.

Thanks, Sue

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back