• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

lodging in St. Jean Pied de Port

lajolla pilgrim

First time walkers!
Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be arriving in St. Jean in the late afternoon at the end of April. We would like a comfortable place to stay after a long journey. It would be ideal to get a good night's sleep as we will start the Camino the next day. Can anyone recommend comfortable lodging that is convenient to the center of town? (not dormitory or shared sleeping quarters). Thanks in advance for your help. Julie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Stayed at the Hotel Ramuntcho in 2014, a few doors from the Pilgrim's office. In the morning you step out of the hotel and start walking the Camino, no running around town to find your bearings!

Last April I stayed at Hôtel Itzalpea. Nice place. Not in the "old" area. 5 min or so walk to the pilgrim office.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at the Hotel Itzalpea.
Nice, clean place, the owners only speak French, no Spanish or English. I got by easily with hand gestures.
The only draw back for me was no cooked food.
A large and filling breakfast with ham ,rolls, cheese and jam, tea or coffee.
The restaurant next door is good and opens each evening.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recommend the Gîte Buen Camino.
Right on the Camino, next door to the Pilgrim's Store if you need something, 2 steps away from the pilgrim's office, in the center. Very nice building, clean and comfortable, a private room with double bed available. Wifi, access to the garden, dinner,breakfast, etc.
The host is very nice and she speaks English.
Have a look on her FB page and on her website... :)

full

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We've stayed in the gite Errecaldia twice and loved it. About two minutes from the Pilgrims Office. Beautiful rooms; ask for the "Sunrise" room for wonderful views. The owner, Tim Proctor, is a Brit and serves a great breakfast with local cheese and ham. Can't recommned Errecaldia highly enough. See, www.errecaldia.com.

Back in 2013 I spent one night in the Central Hotel. It was nice. It's right on the little river that goes through town.

Hi Julie,

We've stayed in St Jean a couple of times both starting and ending Caminos. I can highly recommend MAISON DONAMARIA. Very comfortable refurbished Basque home run by Jean François a great guy. Good English. Great rooms and huge breakfast with other guests which is always fun. It's about a 5- 10 minute walk from the church down the path along the river. Quiet rooms which are very comfortable. Has a pool and nice garden to relax in. If you have time I'd suggest a two day stay to get ready. Unless time is critical why rush get a good start. Day one is a hard walk over the hill. It's pretty popular so book early. I think they are number 1 on trip advisor or close too it. 155 Excellents.

http://www.donamaria.fr/

Maison Donamaria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I will be arriving in St. Jean in the late afternoon at the end of April. We would like a comfortable place to stay after a long journey. It would be ideal to get a good night's sleep as we will start the Camino the next day. Can anyone recommend comfortable lodging that is convenient to the center of town? (not dormitory or shared sleeping quarters). Thanks in advance for your help. Julie
Erracaldia was the perfect place for my daughter and I. We stayed for two nights to rest up after our trip over from the US and before we started our Camino. Comfortable room, great breakfast, and friendly hosts.

We stayed at the Hotel Ramuntcho in October 2016 and loved it. It was very comfortable, right in the middle of town on the main street and a few doors down from the Pilgrim's Office. The owners were very accommodating and the food was great. The manager even had the sandwich that I ordered the evening before ready for me to go in the morning since I was leaving before the stores opened. Definitely recommend this hotel. Two thumbs up!

My friend and I stayed at Maison Donamaria for 2 nights. It was clean and quiet with very comfortable beds, and the owner Jean Francois is an excellent host. It is just a few minutes walk from downtown. His recommendation for a dinner location was perfect. I am trying to find a non-Camino reason to go back with my husband.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back