• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging reservations needed on Camino Frances?

lajolla pilgrim

First time walkers!
Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be walking the first part of the Camino Frances starting in late April 2017 from St. Jean. We plan to stop overnight in Valcarlos, Roncevalles, Viskarret, Zubiri, Zurian and Pamplona. May continue to other towns for a few more days. We have a reservation for our first night in St Jean, but haven't booked any lodging after that. With are trip less than 2 weeks away, we are starting to get nervous about not having reservations. Advice PLEASE! Would it be a good idea to make some more reservations, or just go with the flow?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think you will be relatively safe not booking. However, be prepared with a strategy should you find there is no bed. The simplest is to keep walking, but there may be other options like hostels and hotels, taking a taxi to a larger town and coming back the next day, or finding a place off the main path.

Last edited:
My husband and I will be walking the first part of the Camino Frances starting in late April 2017 from St. Jean. We plan to stop overnight in Valcarlos, Roncevalles, Viskarret, Zubiri, Zurian and Pamplona. May continue to other towns for a few more days. We have a reservation for our first night in St Jean, but haven't booked any lodging after that. With are trip less than 2 weeks away, we are starting to get nervous about not having reservations. Advice PLEASE! Would it be a good idea to make some more reservations, or just go with the flow?
Go with the flow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

As they say the Camino will provide. You have to at some point give up on trying to control your Camino experience and just accept that you are a pilgrim, one of millions that has taken the same route over the centuries and the infrastructure is there to take care of you. Nothing that happens to you has not happened dozens of times in the past 2 years. The people make their living and careers helping pilgrims get through their Camino experience.

Now as to reservations, I would say that there are basically three reasons for reservations.

(1) There is a festival in the town you want to stay at and without reservations you will probably not be able to find a place to stay. Tourist information in other towns should be able to warn you about that in advance. Also the internet has lists of festivals.

(2) It is you first couple days of your Camino and you need to get over jet-lag or you have decided you will really force yourself to go short distances until you get you legs stronger.

(3) You intend to send your luggage ahead, so you need to tell them where you are staying so your bags will arrive there for you. This is important for those days that you aren't feeling strong or that there is an extreme elevation gain, which would tax your strength too much if you carried your full pack. It can always be done at the last minute or the night before, so no real advance planning is required.

Good luck and enjoy!

For me, a lot of the experience was being able to be spontaneous. To go as far as I wanted or needed to go. To stop when something felt right (or when I was too tired to go on). If you book, you can't do that. Also, if the distances you choose are too far apart, you will push yourselves to go too far or too fast, which is a sure way to get injured. I'm assuming with a handle of "La Jolla Pilgrim" that you live in La Jolla, CA? If so, would love to connect with you before you go and help in any way I can. One of the major joys I get post-Camino is reliving it through mentoring other pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go with the flow. The camino will provide in ways you can't imagine. On my first camino in 2012 my friend and I arrived in Zubiri to find that all the beds were taken. I was exhausted and unable to walk any farther. My friend went back to the first Pension before the bridge into town and the owner called a hotel that was about 1 km away. The owner of the hotel drove over and picked us up and showed us to our rooms. He told us to have a nap and then check in when we were rested. We were so thankful for all the help we received. It was a new experience to let go and be vulnerable. The Spanish people are so caring and helpful and the pilgrims help one another as well. (But you may want to book the May long weekend - depending on where you will be Friday March 28);) Buen Camino!

I think people are right - it is not a matter of "everything will be roses" because things do go wrong. But have faith in your own ability to cope with the unexpected, to be flexible and to find solutions, sometimes very creative ones. That is one of the greatest gifts of the camino. We live in such a rule-bound, goal oriented, everything planned and detailed down to the last inch, type of society that we are scared to step out into the unknown. But when we do, and we cope, and in fact often do brilliantly, wow! How good does that feel.

Your body will likely signal when it's time to rest for the day so be careful not to plan too tightly, other than perhaps a reservation at Orisson - and do take your first 2 days slowly. Wish you both Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back