A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Lodging

Camino(s) past & future
bogg1000
I am sure this is probably an annoying newbie question, but . . .

I bought the Wise Pilgrim App and "straight off the bat" (also an annoying US colloquialism) I am told that in St Jean de Pied it is often hard to find accommodations. I am only interested in the most basic of accommodations, even camping. Will I get there and not be able to find lodging? I have already obtained my passport from CSJ. Please excuse the extreme ignorance of my question, but I am planning to walk the entire Camino Frances in June, and need all the help I can get.

If I am violating any forum rules, please don't hesitate to reprimand me!

Warm Regards,

Barry

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
I bought the Wise Pilgrim App and "straight off the bat" (also an annoying US colloquialism) I am told that in St Jean de Pied it is often hard to find accommodations. I am only interested in the most basic of accommodations, even camping.
Is it possible that there is a misunderstanding here? I think it is rare that Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port runs out of space, if at all. I checked the Wise Pilgrim App and can't find such a general statement. What I do see, is a user comment on the very first albergue listed in the Wise Pilgrim App, Askorria, where the user states that he or she tried to book "a few days in advance and no space!". This albergue has just 8 beds - of which there are only 4 beds in a dormitory - and is bookable through Booking.com.

So, yes, there may be no beds on Booking.com left on a particular date but that doesn't mean that there are no places left in SJPP because many cannot be booked online.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
bogg1000
There is a very well known municipal albergue in SJPdP. It does not take bookings.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/cam...les/refuge-municipal-in-st-jean-pied-de-port/
It has 33 beds.
Otherwise the Pilgrim Office will help you find accommodation.
Buen camino
Hello HedaP!

I'm assuming finding the Pilgrim Office (forgive me, I am so very ignorant of all this yet) is easy to find. Just ask, "Where is the Pilgrim Office?" Oh, and I am following your link as I am writing this.

Camino(s) past & future
bogg1000
Is it possible that there is a misunderstanding here? I think it is rare that Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port runs out of space, if at all. I checked the Wise Pilgrim App and can't find such a general statement. What I do see, is a user comment on the very first albergue listed in the Wise Pilgrim App, Askorria, where the user states that he or she tried to book "a few days in advance and no space!". This albergue has just 8 beds - of which there are only 4 beds in a dormitory - and is bookable through Booking.com.

So, yes, there may be no beds on Booking.com left on a particular date but that doesn't mean that there are no places left in SJPP because many cannot be booked online.
Dear Kathar1na,

Thanks! That is a relief. I do not want to pre-book.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Hello HedaP!

I'm assuming finding the Pilgrim Office (forgive me, I am so very ignorant of all this yet) is easy to find. Just ask, "Where is the Pilgrim Office?" Oh, and I am following your link as I am writing this.
@falcon269 has the best advice...just follow the other pilgrims. The old part of town is a small place and the municipal refuge/albergue and the pilgrim office are in the same street nos. 55 and 39 Rue de la Citadelle.:)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2014
@falcon269 has the best advice...just follow the other pilgrims. The old part of town is a small place and the municipal refuge/albergue and the pilgrim office are in the same street nos. 55 and 39 Rue de la Citadelle.:)
Or ... use this map. Head due south or follow the other pilgrims and you can't go wrong.

1518449806240.png

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Live - Camino Portugues It begins
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%