• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging

barryoglick

Time of past OR future Camino
bogg1000
I am sure this is probably an annoying newbie question, but . . .

I bought the Wise Pilgrim App and "straight off the bat" (also an annoying US colloquialism) I am told that in St Jean de Pied it is often hard to find accommodations. I am only interested in the most basic of accommodations, even camping. Will I get there and not be able to find lodging? I have already obtained my passport from CSJ. Please excuse the extreme ignorance of my question, but I am planning to walk the entire Camino Frances in June, and need all the help I can get.

If I am violating any forum rules, please don't hesitate to reprimand me!

Warm Regards,

Barry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought the Wise Pilgrim App and "straight off the bat" (also an annoying US colloquialism) I am told that in St Jean de Pied it is often hard to find accommodations. I am only interested in the most basic of accommodations, even camping.
Is it possible that there is a misunderstanding here? I think it is rare that Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port runs out of space, if at all. I checked the Wise Pilgrim App and can't find such a general statement. What I do see, is a user comment on the very first albergue listed in the Wise Pilgrim App, Askorria, where the user states that he or she tried to book "a few days in advance and no space!". This albergue has just 8 beds - of which there are only 4 beds in a dormitory - and is bookable through Booking.com.

So, yes, there may be no beds on Booking.com left on a particular date but that doesn't mean that there are no places left in SJPP because many cannot be booked online.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is a very well known municipal albergue in SJPdP. It does not take bookings.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/cam...les/refuge-municipal-in-st-jean-pied-de-port/
It has 33 beds.
Otherwise the Pilgrim Office will help you find accommodation.
Buen camino

Hello HedaP!

I'm assuming finding the Pilgrim Office (forgive me, I am so very ignorant of all this yet) is easy to find. Just ask, "Where is the Pilgrim Office?" Oh, and I am following your link as I am writing this.

Is it possible that there is a misunderstanding here? I think it is rare that Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port runs out of space, if at all. I checked the Wise Pilgrim App and can't find such a general statement. What I do see, is a user comment on the very first albergue listed in the Wise Pilgrim App, Askorria, where the user states that he or she tried to book "a few days in advance and no space!". This albergue has just 8 beds - of which there are only 4 beds in a dormitory - and is bookable through Booking.com.

So, yes, there may be no beds on Booking.com left on a particular date but that doesn't mean that there are no places left in SJPP because many cannot be booked online.

Dear Kathar1na,

Thanks! That is a relief. I do not want to pre-book.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello HedaP!

I'm assuming finding the Pilgrim Office (forgive me, I am so very ignorant of all this yet) is easy to find. Just ask, "Where is the Pilgrim Office?" Oh, and I am following your link as I am writing this.
@falcon269 has the best advice...just follow the other pilgrims. The old part of town is a small place and the municipal refuge/albergue and the pilgrim office are in the same street nos. 55 and 39 Rue de la Citadelle.:)

Last edited:
@falcon269 has the best advice...just follow the other pilgrims. The old part of town is a small place and the municipal refuge/albergue and the pilgrim office are in the same street nos. 55 and 39 Rue de la Citadelle.:)

Or ... use this map. Head due south or follow the other pilgrims and you can't go wrong.

1518449806240.png

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back