• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
I have heard troubling reports (mostly my wife shouting down from upstairs while reading the forum) that lodging is a big issue on the Norte. We will be going in May of next year and if I have to worry about a bed, I just won't go. When I walked the CF a couple of years ago, this was beginning to be a problem. So, here is what I am asking: Is next year in May going to be better after this holy year winds up? Of the two, which would cause me less bed insecurity (for me and my wife)? I had thought I might skip the Norte and do the CF, buit stagger my nightly stops between major steps. I thought that might maximize my hopes of getting a bed. I am not opposed to reserving, but I absolutely HATE the idea of it. Here in the United States, now, we have to got a site, like Recreation.gov and pre-book ANY camping sites. What I mean to say is, I can get that kind of walking trip here. I don't need to travel across the ocean to compete for lodging (however, I DO want to walk the Camino again).

Any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should probably be fine in May. The big problem on the Norte is that many towns in Northern Spain are very popular holiday spots in the summer months. That, combined with the fact that the pilgrim infrastructure is not as robust as on the Camino Francés can lead to competition between pilgrims and tourists for beds. But, my understanding is that outside of summer it's not a problem.

And even in the summer, with proper planning you should be okay. I have only been on the Norte in June and July, and while I did find it more expensive than the Francés I always had a bed to sleep in. I didn't always book ahead, and when I did it was just the day before.

I dont think it will be a problem in May. I walked 2 times in this period and had no problems in getting a bed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have heard troubling reports (mostly my wife shouting down from upstairs while reading the forum) that lodging is a big issue on the Norte. We will be going in May of next year and if I have to worry about a bed, I just won't go. When I walked the CF a couple of years ago, this was beginning to be a problem. So, here is what I am asking: Is next year in May going to be better after this holy year winds up? Of the two, which would cause me less bed insecurity (for me and my wife)? I had thought I might skip the Norte and do the CF, buit stagger my nightly stops between major steps. I thought that might maximize my hopes of getting a bed. I am not opposed to reserving, but I absolutely HATE the idea of it. Here in the United States, now, we have to got a site, like Recreation.gov and pre-book ANY camping sites. What I mean to say is, I can get that kind of walking trip here. I don't need to travel across the ocean to compete for lodging (however, I DO want to walk the Camino again).

Any thoughts?
If you are doing the CF in May definitely reserve early SJPdP to Pamplona and then assess your accommodations a day or two ahead for availability.

Walked the Norte in Oct 2021 - a Holy Year and Covid-restrictive. Found places without booking just fine between Bayonne and Bilbao, but many of the super-inexpensive places were closed at that time. If you are okay with spending a bit more than usual (50€), you’ll find beds. And with albergues reopening and going full capacity, May should be fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The OP is asking specifically about the Camino del Norte, not the Camino Francés.
Perhaps you interpreted it differently? OP said:
…When I walked the CF a couple of years ago, this was beginning to be a problem. So, here is what I am asking: Is next year in May going to be better after this holy year winds up? When I walked the CF a couple of years ago, this was beginning to be a problem. So, here is what I am asking: Is next year in May going to be better after this holy year winds up? Of the two, which would cause me less bed insecurity (for me and my wife)? I had thought I might skip the Norte and do the CF, buit stagger my nightly stops between major steps. I thought that might maximize my hopes of getting a bed. I am not opposed to reserving, but I absolutely HATE the idea of it.

Any thoughts?
Just get on with planning to walk. The Camino will provide. Lots of bookable beds at a price or public ones and you make sure you arrive in time. I have been walking the Norte for past 3 weeks and had no issues.

Let you spirit of adventure drive you and free your mind. Walk each day as if it was your last! Buen Camino amigo

We are out here now, in peak season, Holy year etc. We struggled a bit with accommodation up to Bilbao, but it's eased of a bit now.

@barryg didn't specify in his post which camino was going to be walked but this thread is in the Norte subforum.
@Rick of Rick and Peg I had decided that I would leave it as a difference of interpretation and let it go. But since you responded……

I agree, that the Post is in the Camino del Norde Forum.

Respectfully ,as you pointed out and the OP clearly indicates he does not know which Camino he is will do. the Norde, or the Camino Frances. He clearly states “I had thought I might skip the Norte and do the CF, buit stagger my nightly stops between major steps. I thought that might maximize my hopes of getting a bed.”

So when The OP, not me, brought up the possibility of doing the CF, because of concerns about getting accommodations, I thought it totally appropriate to relate that if he walks in May, on theCF from SJPdP, he should make reservations up until Pamplona. because reservations in May can be difficult to find, without a reservation, even between the major towns! Sorry, but my response seemed totally appropriate to me since his major concern was getting accommodations.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Rick of Rick and Peg I had decided that I would leave it as a difference of interpretation and let it go. But since you responded……
Sorry. Now I see the interpretation angle. I automatically viewed "was thinking" as something in a more distant past and I suppose it could be seen also as the past that just occurred before typing out a sentence, something that could be replaced with "am thinking".

I'm getting a feeling that my terse reply may have been seen as a scolding and I apologize for that. Sometimes I feel that I should write but I'm not in the mood to write much.

Sorry. Now I see the interpretation angle. I automatically viewed "was thinking" as something in a more distant past and I suppose it could be seen also as the past that just occurred before typing out a sentence, something that could be replaced with "am thinking".

I'm getting a feeling that my terse reply may have been seen as a scolding and I apologize for that. Sometimes I feel that I should write but I'm not in the mood to write much.
No problem!😀

Any thoughts?
My daughter walked the Norte at this time last year. The vacationers will be starting to leave so it will mostly be weekends that will be tricky from here out. That said, she never had a problem finding something on Booking.com or Gronze if she planned out a couple of days in advance. I strongly suggest booking ahead for weekends as even after the summer crush is over many locals go to the shore on the weekends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Respectfully ,as you pointed out and the OP clearly indicates he does not know which Camino he is will do. the Norde, or the Camino Frances. He clearly states “I had thought I might skip the Norte and do the CF, buit stagger my nightly stops between major steps. I thought that might maximize my hopes of getting a bed.”

So when The OP, not me, brought up the possibility of doing the CF, because of concerns about getting accommodations, I thought it totally appropriate to relate that if he walks in May, on theCF from SJPdP, he should make reservations up until Pamplona. because reservations in May can be difficult to find, without a reservation, even between the major towns! Sorry, but my response seemed totally appropriate to me since his major concern was getting accommodations.
Yes, I am planning on walking the Norte, but was willing to change my plans if you all said that rooms were scarce on the Norte. It seems they aren't, so It's the Norte for me!

Just to be clear as the OP, the post was very poorly worded. I apologize.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I am planning on walking the Norte, but was willing to change my plans if you all said that rooms were scarce on the Norte. It seems they aren't, so It's the Norte for me!
Scarcity of accommodation on the Norte is very dependent on whether or not it is high tourist season, which it is not in May.

Just to be clear (again), the congestion in lodging is vacation-seeker driven, not pilgrim driven, so in May I should be fine. Thank you so much!
I also think that there are more pilgrims during the same time period that it is high tourist season - a double whammy as far as accommodations go.

You should probably be fine in May. The big problem on the Norte is that many towns in Northern Spain are very popular holiday spots in the summer months. That, combined with the fact that the pilgrim infrastructure is not as robust as on the Camino Francés can lead to competition between pilgrims and tourists for beds. But, my understanding is that outside of summer it's not a problem.

And even in the summer, with proper planning you should be okay. I have only been on the Norte in June and July, and while I did find it more expensive than the Francés I always had a bed to sleep in. I didn't always book ahead, and when I did it was just the day before.
Dear Trecile,

My wife and I are having a running debate over whether the Norte is a less "spiritual" than the CF. What is your opinion? Also, do you think that if we planned to "stagger" are nightly stops between tourist areas we would be okay with finding beds or are there not many albergues between towns? Thanks for any help.

If you are doing the CF in May definitely reserve early SJPdP to Pamplona and then assess your accommodations a day or two ahead for availability.
Dear Marbe2,

I am debating with my wife whether to do the CF with her or the Norte by myself (having done the SF twice already). Do you think that if I staggered my nightly stays between SJPDP and Pamplona that I would have more chances for a room. I have a block about reserving and, indeed, want to stay in the municipal albergues. I always felt that beginning and ending in the middle of a leg would be better. What do you think?

Walked the Norte in Oct 2021 - a Holy Year and Covid-restrictive. Found places without booking just fine between Bayonne and Bilbao, but many of the super-inexpensive places were closed at that time. If you are okay with spending a bit more than usual (50€), you’ll find beds. And with albergues reopening and going full capacity, May should be fine.

Thanks Vacajoe!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The OP is asking specifically about the Camino del Norte, not the Camino Francés.

Dear Trecile,

That's true, but I am debating with my wife about whether she should walk the CF by herself (she has done it once before, but missed out on the experience due to severe knee pain and shin splints) or whether I should accompany her (I have done the CF twice). She is telling me that the Norte is much less "spiritual," or less like a pilgrimage than the CF. What is your opinion?

Just get on with planning to walk. The Camino will provide. Lots of bookable beds at a price or public ones and you make sure you arrive in time. I have been walking the Norte for past 3 weeks and had no issues.

Let you spirit of adventure drive you and free your mind. Walk each day as if it was your last! Buen Camino amigo

Dear Sweatyfeet,

What time of day do you recommend arriving at the albergue? Thanks!

Oops! I really appreciate your helping me out. I don't want to be the cause of strife in the forum. It is my fault (if fault is to be assessed) for mixing it up in the forum, but I didn't know how else to pose the question except in one forum and reference the other Camino. My original plan was to walk the Norte, and still is, but I need more information to be sure, as I don't want to simply walk through tourist areas. If anyone who has done the Norte can tell me if the Norte is more of a true pilgrimage between tourist towns, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to everyone!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Our Norte walk (Bayonne-Loyola-Bilbao) was definitely less spiritual than the CF due to less pilgrims, fewer churches, and such on the route. Many fellow walkers were more hikers than pilgrims, out for a REALLY long walk with many having no intention to reach Santiago. It was enjoyable and we met nice folks, but it lacked the CF pilgrim feel.

Similarly, folks in the cities we passed through cared little about our journey. While they were very hospitable in that warm, Spanish way, the Camino on that route is secondary to other tourism and just life. We weren’t awash in pilgrims at each stop nor were we greeted with “Buen Camino” as we passed by.

That said, you never know who you may fall in with! There may be dedicated pilgrims headed to Santiago that you end up with and that will give it a Camino feel. We loved the CN more than the CP, but it’s not the experience of the CF. You should definitely walk it if you are okay with what it is and not hoping it’s like the CF.

And not to venture too far into marriage dynamics, but….it sounds like your wife is bringing up reasons (real or not) for you not to walk the CN. Perhaps she isn’t as comfortable as you think doing the CF without you, but won’t just come out and say that? The CN will always be there, but the opportunity to walk the CF with your wife won’t be. I’d focus on the latter with the CN waiting until another time.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back