• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logrono to Burgos in January

Peligro

I walk between cafe breaks
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ’15-’19
Primitivo ’21
VF ’23
Portugués ’24
Dear all:

I have made it from SJPP to Logrono and I'm working on Logrono to Burgos at the moment. My tentative plan is to go mid January - I have miles on American and a 4 day weekend for MLK day. I assume the weather will be brisk or colder. Any thoughts or comments to help my planning? If any of you have done Winter walking I would love your insight as to whether the Albergues are likely to be open, if I will be extremely bored by a lack of fellow travelers, and any other comments you can share with me. Thanks in advance,

Don

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked Feb. 2014. Albergues are open. But, be prepared to walk at least 25kms or so to find them. Also, non albergue accommadation is thin on the ground. It is very quiet on camino in winter. However, I really enjoyed myself. You will meet a goodly number of pilgrims on the way. Be prepared weatherwise lots of mud and wind. I often prayed: "please God no more mud". You should have a terrific time. Oh, take a bag. Some albergues do not turn on heat.
Buen camino.

Since you plan to walk from Logrono to Burgos particular
difficult stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca. Fog, snow and ice could make these areas treacherous.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. Use this handy list of open Winter Albergues which can be downloaded from the Resource section of the Forum.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath the bag to block cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed when it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Do plan to carry some food always will you for many summer-only shops and bar/restos will be closed. Hence my food basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.
Hence be prepared!

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino

Last edited:
SY,
Thanks for the above direct link. However when it is hit a further gmail address pops up. Need one then ask in a gmail for the list?

No, none at all, when I hit the link just the normal website pops up. The Email address is for sending them info and updates. The website will be updated with info as soon as the first albergues close down for winter, normally in November. As the albergue situation does change frequently, sometimes daily, in winter, it is very important not to rely on any print outs but to always check the website itself. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the input. It seems funny how hot I was walking from Los Arcos to Logrono in August without a cloud in the sky and not a tree in sight and next time I'll be leaving Logrono worried about staying warm. :) The Aprinca site should make finding a bed a lot easier - thanks!

I walked last februari-march from Burgos till Ponferrada. I was prepared for cold en wet weather, but it were quite warm days. On the meseta the mornings were quite cold, I needed a warm hat and gloves. But around ten those went off.
I had a few cold nights, but because it wasn't busy I could use a few blankets. One or two blankets on the matress then my sleeping bag and a blanket on top of that. I wear a long sleeved thermo shirt at nights, but only once long thermo pants.
Most off the times I walked alone. But in most of the alburgues there were more people, from just one till about 30.
Because I have been seriously ill, I couldn't walk long distances, but only 15-20 km a day. But it was no problem at finding a alburgue. At home I looked on the internet which alburgues were open and on that planned my stages.
Enjoy your camino!

Has anybody stayed in Navarette? I'm thinking I can arrive in Madrid in the morning, get to Logrono and walk the 12 or so kms to Navarette all the same day. If I do this, I may need to reserve and/or prepay an albergue to be safe if I am running late. Otherwise I could just spend the first night in Logrono (it has the best tapas bars after all) and do the whole trek to Najera the next morning.

difficult stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca. Fog, snow and ice could make these areas treacherous.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. Use this handy list of open Winter Albergues which can be downloaded from the Resource section of the Forum.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath the bag to block cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed when it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Do plan to carry some food always will you for many summer-only shops and bar/restos will be closed. Hence my food basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.
Hence be prepared!

What an excellent posting. Thank you so much. I am getting myself ready to walk the camino in January and am so grateful to you for this information. I am now considering if I can afford (weight-wise) to also take a small electric immersion heater or even a mini travel electric cooker.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hence be prepared!

I have now ammended my packing list to take account of your ideas. Could I ask whether you also packed a mini travel cooker or electric immersion heater for those time when albergues do not have cooking facilities?

I took an electric water boiler coil to make hot tea or instant cups of soup inside albergues when all cafes/restos were closed.

Do indeed consider an emersion coil water heater, a cup which will not burn your lip and at least a spoon. These can help make your journey so much more comfortable especially in winter when many seasonal restos/bars will be closed.

For many comments/posts from other users see this earlier thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.