• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logrono to Burgos

Steve Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2019 Sarria to Santiago Sept 2019 Logrono to Burgos Aug 2020 St Jean Pied De Port to Logrono
Hola! I'm Steve from the UK and I'm walking from Logrono to Burgos from 11-16 Sept. I would appreciate any recommendations for places to stay en route, as well as bars and restaurants that are popular with pilgrims in the following places: Logrono, Navarrete, Najera, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Belorado, San Juan De Ortega and Burgos. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola! I'm Steve from the UK and I'm walking from Logrono to Burgos from 11-16 Sept. I would appreciate any recommendations for places to stay en route, as well as bars and restaurants that are popular with pilgrims in the following places: Logrono, Navarrete, Najera, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Belorado, San Juan De Ortega and Burgos. Thank you

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum! Here are some suggestions (my opinion only) but I have walked that section 5 or 6 times now.

Logrono
Do NOT stay in Santiago Apostol Albergue, it was one of the worst I have ever stayed. The hospitalero brought his mates around for a drunken party, and were very unfriendly. Lots of good bars there though.

Naverrete
DO visit Bar Deportivo near the church. Best tapas ever, and their evening meals are divine. Very friendly. I have stayed in Albergue ElCantaro that was nice.

Najera
Lots of bars, albergue Puerta has good reports.

Santo Domingo
Never stayed there (I always stay in Granon at albergue San Jaun Bautista - best pilgrim experience on the camino - about 7 km after Santo Domingo). Lots of bars in Santo Domingo but I like the food in Bar Gallina.

Belorado
Lots of bars too, especially in Plaza Mayor.. I like Albergue El Caminante. The family running it are nice.

San Jaun de Ortega.
Not much there mate. One bar run by a miserable man who wont open in the morning for breakfast. I do like the albergue there though! But, I would go to the next place Ages, a nice pretty village, nice albergues and bars too.

Burgos
Never stayed there (I don't like cities), but the albergue municipal is well regarded. There are one or two (thousand) bars knocking about, you won't go hungry there!

On this stretch I usually do Naverrete or Ventosa (Albergue San Saturno), then Azofra (great municipal albergue with rooms of two, no bunkbeds), then Granon, then either Tosantos (amazing donativo albergue San Fransisco de Asisi) OR Villafranca Montes de Oca in the albergue San Anton Abad that is in a 3 star hotel. Then Ages, then through Burgos to Tardajos.

I'm sure others have good recommendations too

Buen Camino
Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have the bravas in Ontanton on Calle San Juan in Logrono. When you order something and the camarera simply shouts 'uno' to the cook, you know you've ordered the house speciality.

El molino de Floren in Santo Domingo. Comfortable.

Belorado very run-down. Virtually closed up when I passed through in February. Food was hard to come by. Better in season I hope.

Stayed in Atapuerca. Hotel Rural Papasol. Not much choice.

Great deal in Burgos. Two nights at Hotel Norte y Londres E62

Have the bravas in Ontanton on Calle San Juan in Logrono. When you order something and the camarera simply shouts 'uno' to the cook, you know you've ordered the house speciality.

El molino de Floren in Santo Domingo. Comfortable.

Belorado very run-down. Virtually closed up when I passed through in February. Food was hard to come by. Better in season I hope.

Stayed in Atapuerca. Hotel Rural Papasol. Not much choice.

Great deal in Burgos. Two nights at Hotel Norte y Londres E62

Yep, Belorado is fine in season. It gets rammed, and the Plaza Mayor is a hit with locals and pilgrims alike. I went through one December, found food no problem though.

Davey

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum! Here are some suggestions (my opinion only) but I have walked that section 5 or 6 times now.

Logrono
Do NOT stay in Santiago Apostol Albergue, it was one of the worst I have ever stayed. The hospitalero brought his mates around for a drunken party, and were very unfriendly. Lots of good bars there though.

Naverrete
DO visit Bar Deportivo near the church. Best tapas ever, and their evening meals are divine. Very friendly. I have stayed in Albergue ElCantaro that was nice.

Najera

Santo Domingo
Never stayed there (I always stay in Granon at albergue San Jaun Bautista - best pilgrim experience on the camino - about 7 km after Santo Domingo). Lots of bars in Santo Domingo but I like the food in Bar Gallina.

Belorado
Lots of bars too, especially in Plaza Mayor.. I like Albergue El Caminante. The family running it are nice.

San Jaun de Ortega.
Not much there mate. One bar run by a miserable man who wont open in the morning for breakfast. I do like the albergue there though! But, I would go to the next place Ages, a nice pretty village, nice albergues and bars too.

Burgos
Never stayed there (I don't like cities), but the albergue municipal is well regarded. There are one or two (thousand) bars knocking about, you won't go hungry there!

On this stretch I usually do Naverrete or Ventosa (Albergue San Saturno), then Azofra (great municipal albergue with rooms of two, no bunkbeds), then Granon, then either Tosantos (amazing donativo albergue San Fransisco de Asisi) OR Villafranca Montes de Oca in the albergue San Anton Abad that is in a 3 star hotel. Then Ages, then through Burgos to Tardajos.

Buen Camino
Davey
I appreciate the information and will definitely note down your recommendations and consider them for my trip. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Logrono

Naverrete

Najera

Santo Domingo

Belorado

San Jaun de Ortega.

Burgos

Buen Camino
Davey
Hello Davey

When you mentioned Granon and Tosantos, I can see that they are similar experiences for pilgrims, so I am thinking of staying at both places. As far as you know, do they accept advance bookings?

Thanks

Steve

Go with the flow...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Davey

When you mentioned Granon and Tosantos, I can see that they are similar experiences for pilgrims, so I am thinking of staying at both places. As far as you know, do they accept advance bookings?

Thanks

Steve

No they don't. But I know Granon will always find you a place, I don't think they ever turn a pilgrim away. There is always a bit of floor in the church. As for Tosantos, just get there early as you can, but there are other albergues close by just in case.

Both not to be missed though!

Davey

No they don't. But I know Granon will always find you a place, I don't think they ever turn a pilgrim away. There is always a bit of floor in the church. As for Tosantos, just get there early as you can, but there are other albergues close by just in case.

Both not to be missed though!

Davey
Cheers
Steve

Hola Steve,

My wife Pat and I will be trekking the Logrono to Burgos route from Sept 7 to 14. This is our third Camino. Based on recommendations we have seen, we have booked stays at:
Logrono: Albas Hostel
Belorado: Four Canton Hostel
Burgos: Hostel Burgos

Maybe meet you along the way. Buen Camino,

Jim from Boston

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did the Camino in 2016. In Logroño we stayed in the Albergue de Peregrinos Albas. It was a great place to stay, new accommodation with bars nearby, very friendly hospitelera. Only downside is that it is a 5 minute walk from the centre in the wrong direction for the Camino. All night life is in Calle Laurel - don't miss it. In Najera Albergue Nido de Cigueña. Renovated albergue in a medie val building. Friendly staff. Great kitchen area. We had a communal dinner in - there is an Eroski close on the other side of the river. San Domingo - can't help as a member of the group I was walking with at the time booked a booking.com apartment for 6 of us. Heard that the convent accommodation was grim and the nuns unfriendly. Loads of tapas bars - none disappointed. Belorado - Albergue de Peregrinos Caminante - very nice place, very friendly, bonus swimming pool in the back garden. Lots of places to eat and drink in the main plaza - lots of pilgrim menus. Blew through San Juan de Ortega - to be frank apart from the abbey there did not seem to be anything there. It was worth the extra couple of kilometres to get to Ages. We stayed in Albergue San Rafael as the Municipal was full. It was very basic but clean with a charming Dueno - an andaluz whose accent you could cut with a chainsaw. We ate and drank in the Municipal which was really great fun - fantastic atmosphere all afternoon and evening. In Burgos we syaed in the Albergue Municipal which is how every Albergue should be. There's a great bar opposite and Calle Sombrereria on the other side of the Cathedral was a party street. Enjoy.

Hola Steve,

My wife Pat and I will be trekking the Logrono to Burgos route from Sept 7 to 14. This is our third Camino. Based on recommendations we have seen, we have booked stays at:
Logrono: Albas Hostel
Belorado: Four Canton Hostel
Burgos: Hostel Burgos

Maybe meet you along the way. Buen Camino,

Jim from Boston
Hi Jim
Thanks for your advice. I booked a place in Albergue Albas on 10 Sept. If you're still in Burgos on 16 Sept, I'll look out for you.
Steve

Well, let me just write, while in Logrono you must try Umm for tapas and Rioja. And while in Burgos, do try LaCantina for seafood tapas, located right down the street from the municipal alburgue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Severe time constraints will make my September 2019 walk my shortest ever.... Decided to focus only on the Meseta this time, because it's dear to my heart. Have prebooked the first few places.... You will note that I don't do albergues any more....

Logrono: Starting this year in Logrono, arriving by bus from Barajas Sept 17. Love Logrono! Have stayed in the past at the Calfred II (twice) and the Redondela. and the Ciudad de Logrono. The first and third are located conveniently near the city bus station and the absolutely wonderful Parque Gonzalez Gallarza -- which reminds me of the Mexico City I grew up in way back in the '60s, and which has a wonderful real-people, non-Camino vibe.... The second is in el centro on the Portales, and if you're lucky you can get a balcony room with a view of the street and the cathedral. All very different, all satisfactory. Staying this year in el centro at La Numantina. Dining on the Calle Laurel, of course. ... If you can give Logrono a sightseeing day, you won't regret it!

Navarette: A short first walking day, to start getting into the swing -- and to enjoy a beautiful stage well worthy of walking slowly! Hope to see el Peregrino Pasante in his stall again! Will stay at the Rey Sancho, a slight indulgence, true, but close to the awesome town church and the awesome Cafe Deportivo.

Najera: Another short easy day, because I want to spend as much time as possible examining the absolutely unmissable Sta. Maria el Real. Stayed last time at the satisfactory Hotel Hispano, but this time -- just to be different -- willl stay at the Ciudad de Najera. Sidewalk-table dinner last time at the very satisfactory Juderia, maybe this time too.

Santo Domingo de la Calzada: Probably do lunch-or-something at Ciruena's Rioja Alta Golf Club en route, just 'cause, well, the idea appeals to me! ... Stayed last time at the very satisfactory Rey Pedro, but have decided to stay with the nuns this time at the Hospederia Cistercienses. Just seems to me the right thing to do -- I'm, ahem!, a priest, after all.... The idea of staying at one of the two paradors appeals, but they're just waaaay too expensive! (Never have stayed at a parador, sigh....). Doner kabob dinner last time near the bus stop - hope to do better this time!

And then in the AM it's off to Burgos by bus, arriving on the Feast of the Bl. Martyrs of the Spanish Civil War -- hate to skip Belorado and San Juan de Ortega, and all that, but, as noted, severe time constraints this year! Must make hard choices.

Then from Burgos it's full-bore on foot to Leon!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.