• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logrono to Madrid or other city to fly back to states

musicagl

Time of past OR future Camino
Part 1 - May 2011
Part 2 - May 2012
Part 3 - June 2014
Finisterre (for mom) Fall 2016
Hi:

I'm walking from SJPdP to Logrono at the end of May (can't take more time off). I see rail connects Logrono to other parts of Spain. Does anyone have a recommendation for getting from Logrono to a city with a large enough airport so that the flight back home won't be outrageously expensive?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi -

In my experience, Madrid would be the cheapest airport for departure. I've researched many of the others for my own planning, but they are all more expensive flights than Madrid. It's about 390 km to Madrid and the train takes just over 3 hours to get there. Buy your ticket when you get there - the Renfe site is impossible unless you just want to check timetables (renfe.es).

Best of luck -

lynne

Just a p.s. on the RENFE site. Lynne is right that buying tickets on the RENFE website can be a hair-pulling experience. But last year I was able to do it, and as a result I paid 32E for the Ave to Sevilla as opposed to the 80+ E that I would have had to pay otherwise. RENFE has some really good advance purchase web fares, and if you can figure out their website, it's worth it. Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good to know Laurie - probably takes more patience than I normally have :)

I have also found, (now looking at Madrid to Huelva and SDC to Madrid), that bus and train often take around the same travel time, so one might as well go with the cheapest.

Thanks. (From The Great White North where it was -36 C today- without the wind chill :shock: )

lynne

I took the ALSA bus from Madrid to Logrono and found it be a very interesting and scenic trip. It takes about 4 hours and the cost is E21.31 one way. There are buses about every 2 hours and about 1/'2 go direct to the airport.
http://www.alsa.es
When entering "Logrono" you should type in the first couple of letters only and let it give you choices because unless you have a tilde on your keyboard it won't recognize the name.

I don't know if you have already booked your round trip ticket from the U.S. or not. I flew in the off season so my flights were probably cheaper but on Iberia if you buy a round trip from the U.S. the add on flights are not much more expensive. For example, I flew washington D.C.- Madrid- Pamplona with the return ticket Santiago-Madrid-Washington which was less than $100 more than the straight Washington DC- Madrid roundtrip. On another trip I flew DC-Madrid with a return Oviedo-DC-Madrid and it was actually cheaper than the straight DC-Madrid roundtrip. If you look at the Iberia website, do a round trip search from the U.S. to Madrid and choose flexible dates. Then choose the cheapest date. Then go to the Multiple stop option and use those dates but with add on flights and see how the price works out. You could try Logrono, bilbao, pamplona, san sebastian or leon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
viajero said:
If you look at the Iberia website, do a round trip search from the U.S. to Madrid and choose flexible dates. Then choose the cheapest date. Then go to the Multiple stop option and use those dates but with add on flights and see how the price works out. You could try Logrono, bilbao, pamplona, san sebastian or leon.

Thanks -- I've got a ticket to Toulouse but haven't purchased a return. It may be too late to try Iberia, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back