• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

London - St Jean

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could give me price estimates for a flight from London to Biarritz, or alternatively a train ticket down through France to St Jean? If there is such a thing - It'd be lovely taking the train through France! I'm flying from Australia to London (it was much cheaper than any other city) and am going to rest at a friend of a friend's house for a day or two before going on to get rid of the jet lag!

Hope I'm not doubling up on posts or anything.
Thanks!
Jo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can do this search online - look at ryanair and easyjet for flights and eurostar and sncf for rail - sncf have some very cheap tickets sometimes, eurostar less so - flying will be quicker and probably cheaper but might be at less convenient times

Hi Jo

We have been very happy with the train options for travelling in France - see thread at el-camino-del-norte/topic6350.html
where I enthused about rail over flying and was politely put in my place by some who prefer the plane. So it was good to read that someone else thinks taking the train through France would be lovely!

I found the http://www.raileurope.co.uk site very easy to use, and if you are booking some time ahead you will get a good price. Eurostar (London to Paris) prices vary through the day - on the day we travel this Sept we had choices from £35 to over £70 for singles to Paris.

http://www.seat61.org is an excellent site for info about train travel all over the world.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We prefer rail to air but usually fly to places beyond France because of costs ane timing. For those over 60 it can sometimes be cheaper to take Eurostar to Paris and then travel on a concessionry fare to Bayonne and St. Jean, rather than go Eurostar all the way.

laurie said:
rather than go Eurostar all the way.

CAN you go Eurostar all the way?

I had a look on their website, I think they do, but have connecting trains for the last little bit...?

Thanks heaps for the help so far! I'll probably end up flying, because it's cheaper (Only 74 pounds for me and my friend, and that's only $150 AUD! I am amazed. If I want to fly from my town to Sydney, some 900km, it costs me $300.) and quicker as well. Maybe we can do some train-ing when we go to Germany after the camino.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back