A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

London to Le Puy

lizsmithbliz

Bonjour,
Would anyone have the advice of the best (and fastest) way to get from London to Le Puy?
I'm travelling from Australia and think I'll fly into London. I am happy to then fly into France, but would prefer not go in to Paris.
I've just read a few posts that explain it can be a little complicated to actually get to Le Puy.
Thanks in advice for your advice.
Liz :)

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Rome2rio suggests Eurostar to Paris and then train to Lyon & onwards. If you really want to avoid Paris it suggests fly to Lyon from Heathrow or Gatwick & train onwards.

Gumba

Camino(s) past & future
CF March 2018
CF Dec 2019/2020
Hi Liz, fellow Aussie here. Just thought I would mention, if you are flying into London for the sole purpose of walking, airport taxes are a fair bit cheaper flying in to Paris rather than London. No other advice, sorry. Have not walked Le Puy.

RNC

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015; Via Podiensis (2018)
Hi Liz. Another Aussie here. We walked Le Puy route last year. Flew to London, then EasyJet from London to Lyon. We were booked on a train from Lyon to Le Puy, but ended up getting there by bus instead due to train strikes. Enjoy the walk; it is beautiful (and hilly!). Make sure you carry something for lunch - there often aren’t a lot of places open along the way. RNC

BShea

Camino(s) past & future
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
Bonjour Liz... I'm not sure about flying from Australia, but I've found flying into Barcelona (BCN) to be the least expensive route. You may want to check it out? There are cheap flights from BCN to Lyon (LYS) via Easyjet. Bon chemin!

Sixwheeler

Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
Fly to Lyon Satolas airport from London, from there you take the train from the ststion at the airport direct to Lyon Part-Dieu (the main railway station in Lyon) and then an onward train to Le Puy; it's all very straightforward. If you don't speak French there's a foreign language enquiry office at Part-Dieu. Ultreïa

lizsmithbliz

Hi Liz, fellow Aussie here. Just thought I would mention, if you are flying into London for the sole purpose of walking, airport taxes are a fair bit cheaper flying in to Paris rather than London. No other advice, sorry. Have not walked Le Puy.
Thanks - I didn't know that!
Cheers Liz

lizsmithbliz

Fly to Lyon Satolas airport from London, from there you take the train from the ststion at the airport direct to Lyon Part-Dieu (the main railway station in Lyon) and then an onward train to Le Puy; it's all very straightforward. If you don't speak French there's a foreign language enquiry office at Part-Dieu. Ultreïa
Great info. Thank you :)

lizsmithbliz

Bonjour Liz... I'm not sure about flying from Australia, but I've found flying into Barcelona (BCN) to be the least expensive route. You may want to check it out? There are cheap flights from BCN to Lyon (LYS) via Easyjet. Bon chemin!
Ahh that could be an option. Thanks. Cheers Liz

lizsmithbliz

Hi Liz. Another Aussie here. We walked Le Puy route last year. Flew to London, then EasyJet from London to Lyon. We were booked on a train from Lyon to Le Puy, but ended up getting there by bus instead due to train strikes. Enjoy the walk; it is beautiful (and hilly!). Make sure you carry something for lunch - there often aren’t a lot of places open along the way. RNC
And, thanks for the tip about lunch! Nothing worse than being a hungry hiker :)

Margaret Butterworth

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I flew from Perth via Singapore and Frankfurt to Lyon, because I also wanted to avoid Paris. From Lyon I took the train to Le Puy. This worked well.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 237 24.9%