• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

London to Leon

Steve Bunn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués - in planning for 2024
I’m looking to walk the Camino de San Salvador in May 2023. Has anyone got experience of making the trip from London to León?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flying to Madrid probably is the easiest option with the most flights. Train and bus from Madrid to Leon are both pretty easy. I've flown in the evening, stayed at the hotel above the station and then taken the train the following morning to reduce transfer stress. Buses are also pretty easy although timings of the bus from the airport didn't work well with the time of our [cheap] flights on our last trip so we flew to Oviedo.

Depending on where you're based flying to Oviedo is a nice option and I think it's easier flying to a small airport. You need to get a bus from the airport to Oviedo (if going peak season try and get off the plane and into the bus queue quickly, the bus to the city filled up quickly and many people had to wait an hour for the next one) and then train or bus to Leon. We took the train from Oviedo to Leon last time, it takes ages but it's a magnificent trip over the mountains. (I think Madrid is quicker if you're pushed for time).

Can't say I would recommend cycling London to Leon. Far more interesting/scenic places to spend a couple of weeks cycling!

I’m looking to walk the Camino de San Salvador in May 2023. Has anyone got experience of making the trip from London to León?
Yes I got a flight to Madrid then the coach at the airport you have to book that on line with ALSA they also have the timetables

Yes I got a flight to Madrid then the coach at the airport you have to book that on line with ALSA they also have the timetables
When coming out of Madrid arrivals you need to go to the lower floor and outside you see all the buses I went down in the lift myself

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm doing that in a couple of weeks time. I have booked a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Asturias (Oviedo) which is the Primitivo. Then I have booked with Alsa bus to Leon which was 18euros (its actually 2 buses but 1 booking. Alsa bus to Oviedo then another to Leon) distance from Oviedo to Leon is about 116km whereas Madrid to Leon is 338km. Because I walked in July from SJPDP to Mansilla de las Mulas I have 2 nights in Leon 11euros each night to allow me to Alsa bus 1.75euros back to Mansilla after 1st night in Leon so I can continue from where I left off and walk back to Leon for another night then continueon my Way....

Last edited:
RYAN AIR - non-stop London Stansted to Asturias Spain which is 120 km from Leon. Bus or train (or taxi) available to Leon. Fly Ryan Air non-stop back from Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back