• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lone Peak 5 available in a few weeks.

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Time of past OR future Camino
C.F. 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021
C.P. 2022
The new version of the Lone Peak (5) is due out in a few weeks. I’d noted that the Lone Peak 4.5 was only available in a few sizes at the Altra website and asked about future availability. They responded it is being replaced by the 5. Some of the changes include a wide version, the toe cap is now sewn on to prevent it from coming loose, changes to the mid-sole, improved drainage, and a change to the sole. More incremental than a complete makeover. I’m assuming these changes will be for both the low and mid rise. As Ive recently fallen in love with the Altra zero rise style I’m rather excited.

frm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favorite shoes. Good news. I did just get the 4.5 low on sale
Me too. Might just have to go back and get a spare pair. Good price, and we all know how we can get caught with unpleasant design change, and an increase in price that usually accompanied the release of an updated model.
Regards
Gerard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the mid rise Lone Peak 4. They are imperfect in a few ways, but I really love them nonetheless. It would be quite nice actually to get an improved version. I went ahead and emailed them specifically asking if they will continue making mid rise versions or not. I'll let you know what they say.

I wore Lone Peaks 3.5 on my 2018 camino, and got another pair for 2019. I could not find another pair of 3.5s for 2020, but I had a pair of 4.0s in the box ready to go on the camino that was not to be. So I have never really worn the 4.0s, but the info I got here suggested they would be fine.

I guess I will stick with my 4.0s for 2021-22, but I wonder if there are any here who have opinions on whether I would be better off to spring for the 5.0s before my next walk.

These shoes have transformed my camino experience, and I am so grateful to the forum for all the advice and information that led to my decision to go to trail runners.

I wore Lone Peaks 3.5 on my 2018 camino, and got another pair for 2019. I could not find another pair of 3.5s for 2020, but I had a pair of 4.0s in the box ready to go on the camino that was not to be. So I have never really worn the 4.0s, but the info I got here suggested they would be fine.

I guess I will stick with my 4.0s for 2021-22, but I wonder if there are any here who have opinions on whether I would be better off to spring for the 5.0s before my next walk.

These shoes have transformed my camino experience, and I am so grateful to the forum for all the advice and information that led to my decision to go to trail runners.
I plan on getting a pair of the 5s as soon as they are available and will report back. I’m currently wearing a fairly new pair of the 4.5s (my first Altras) and have been impressed with them, though I’ve yet to walk the Camino in Altras.

best,
frm

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I plan on getting a pair of the 5s as soon as they are available and will report back. I’m currently wearing a fairly new pair of the 4.5s (my first Altras) and have been impressed with them, though I’ve yet to walk the Camino in Altras.

best,
frm
Looking forward to your review of the 5's. A new version is not necessarily better!

I've worn 3.5 mid's on the Frances, 4.0's on the Via Francegina and Del Norte without any issues. I'm 6'0 225lbs with a size 14. I have the 4.5's now for local walking and think they are the best yet. (They are still on sale for $84.00 at Altra)
The only thing I do not like is the traction that they provide on wet ground. We hike a lot in North Carolina and I will always wear my Merrill MOAB's if it is the least bit wet.

I used 4.5 and Merrell for my cf last year. The lone peaks were great to change into towards the end of a long day but the merrell were better for me on steep inclines. Both have wide toe boxes ( my merrells are on my feet now!) which I love

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've worn 3.5 mid's on the Frances, 4.0's on the Via Francegina and Del Norte without any issues. I'm 6'0 225lbs with a size 14. I have the 4.5's now for local walking and think they are the best yet. (They are still on sale for $84.00 at Altra)
The only thing I do not like is the traction that they provide on wet ground. We hike a lot in North Carolina and I will always wear my Merrill MOAB's if it is the least bit wet.

Totally agree

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great video. Thanks for posting, I'll have to check these out. I had moved from Lone Peaks to Timps, but I understand that the Timp 2.0 is narrower, not a change I'd like to see. Maybe back to Lone Peak??

I thought that my Solomon XA Pro 3D were my ideal shoe, but then I tried on some Lone Peak 4 mids the other day. Wow, the foot box felt great! I've heard so many good things by AT hikers, that I have always wanted to give them a try. Now I'm just waiting to see what the new 5s feel like. My local store says they will have plenty of 4s on stock until I can decide.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just got the Lone Peak 5 in wide.

Seems like a nice shoe, haven’t walked in it yet, but as someone who struggles to find wide shoes that are actually wide, can report that this shoe is *generously* wide compared to the wide versions of Hoka Bondi 6 (not wide enough for me) and Hoka Speedgoat 4 (non waterproof version, just wide enough for me with light socks).

Just got the Lone Peak 5 in wide.

Seems like a nice shoe, haven’t walked in it yet, but as someone who struggles to find wide shoes that are actually wide, can report that this shoe is *generously* wide compared to the wide versions of Hoka Bondi 6 (not wide enough for me) and Hoka Speedgoat 4 (non waterproof version, just wide enough for me with light socks).
I received the ”All-WTHR” water resistant version a few weeks ago. I agree about the width. Very nice. I posted some photos on another thread (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ne-peak-all-wthr-mids-first-impression.69330/). I’d be curious about the differences between the All-WTHR version and the mesh version.

frm

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.